Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Alright time to cut the BS: get or forget?

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium

I wanna know from people: it has been getting the same review across the board- great overall, multiplayer is superb, but combat is too simplistic to last the whole adventure.

I wanna know if I should get this. As a foundation, my top 3 favorite RPGs are Chrono Trigger, FFTA, and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's inside story.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

How did you like the other Dragon Quest games?

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jeffgoldblum

It has a very traditional battle system and you seem to like games with non-traditional ones.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By demontium
    @Diamond said:
    " How did you like the other Dragon Quest games? "
    I thought 5 and 6 were horrible, but those were remakes so....
    FaulPern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FaulPern
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " It has a very traditional battle system and you seem to like games with non-traditional ones. "
    Forget.
    tuque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By tuque
    @demontium: I'd say it depends on what type of player you are. If you're the type that only plays it for an hour a day then it's great! However if you're the type to play for three or more hours a day then DQ9 is gonna get old fast.  

DQ9 is very traditional Dragon Quest game; think Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US). It's got many of the same interface annoyances as those old games and the battle system expects you to do a fair amount of grinding. But, if you're playing for only an hour a day, which is my habit, then it never feels too repetitive. 

I haven't gotten too far in DQ9 yet, but I've gotten far enough to see that it's much like other DQ games. I've played all of DQ8 and a good deal of DQ4 and I found that those games were best played in hour-long chunks as well.  When I played either of those games on the weekend, where I had three hour chunks of time to sit and play, I didn't enjoy them nearly as much and I found myself getting bored of them. So, I'd say, the Dragon Quest games are best in small, daily doses.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

I say just play through Chrono Trigger again.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By demontium
    @tuque: It really depends on the game. I will play games that cater to my tastes in bigger intervals than others. 

@StarFoxA
    said:
    "I say just play through Chrono Trigger again. "

That bad? I mean, playing the same game over being a better experience than a whole new game is pretty bad. 

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By tranquilchaos

Looks pretty awful. I say forget.  

I really loved DQVIII too...

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ratcabbage

I bought it and am liking it so far. It's an acquired taste, though. One of my main complaints is that you don't have a shared item inventory. Items you get go into a bag and you have to assign them to particular party members if you want to use them in battle. It's not a huge deal, just a little annoying. That's pretty much how I feel about most of the game. No one big problem, just a lot of little annoyances that stick out. If you're a fan of the classic JRPG genre then that's nothing new and you'll be able to overlook the small flaws and still have fun. If you're new to the genre then this game probably isn't one you want to start off with.

JuanSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By JuanSolid

I like it, but it does kinda feel like I am going to be playing for 100 hours or the equivalent of 3-4 DW3 runs and get the same thing from it. The story line is better, but that is not saying so much, since three had barely a story line. DW4 would be better for you. BB had a sale for buy one DS game get the other half off so a buddy was already buying a copy and did not want another game and let me get this for $15, so I am happy with it in that respect. 

Maybe I am just getting less patient as i get older, but I feel compelled to alchemise better equipment. This takes a long time when you have to scour the world for ingredients and have a thief steal them as well. The worst part of this, and I realize it too, is that if I would probably be better, and faster, to advance the story and get to a new town with better armor than anything I could previously create. However the games balance of money and cost of weapons (and selling back a weapon only gives you 10% what you paid) make it necessary to at least alchemise 25% of your equipment I would say, or else your going to be grinding forever.

Now that equipment you can make is better than what you can buy, and most of the stuff you make, you can not buy. Also as is traditional, in the end, I am betting you can make the best and greatest weapons only through this process. I will hold reserve on judgment for this as well because I may go to the next town and see that my equipment is still better, or as good.... But I am bucking on finding out I need to buy that equipment to make even better stuff lol.  

@Ratcabbage said:

" I bought it and am liking it so far. It's an acquired taste, though. One of my main complaints is that you don't have a shared item inventory. Items you get go into a bag and you have to assign them to particular party members if you want to use them in battle.

This is actually traditional of DQ series. FF may give their characters time to leave the battle and access 300 pounds of equipment, but the Dragon Warriors can't spare that time or their face will be eaten :p. Also FF likes to make the games intro story take like 30-50 hours to develop vs this one between 1-3 depending on if you know what your doing or not.

All I know is I end up playing the game for several hours and not realize the time has passed. I really don't think i would be doing that if I did not like the game. I am guessing I am frustrated on spending so much time on it when I should be doing other things lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.