Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Change Classes, Why?

Avatar image for operationtophat
    OperationTophat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OperationTophat

I just got to Alltrades Abby and was really excited to be able to choose a new class.  I'm new to the DQ series and my last true JRPG game was probably FFX so forgive me if I don't really know how this works. 

When you choose a new class you drop back down to level one, with crappy HP/MP and your spells all gone.  So what is the point?  I know you can change back to your minstrel character at any time, but I just don't understand why you would trade at all.  Do stats carry over?  Skill points?  Why should I bother? 

Please, if someone could give a DQ noob a tip or two, I'd appreciate it...

JuanSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By JuanSolid

Well I am not up to that point yet. This game reminds me of DW3, in that game you where the hero class, and everyone else could be one of a lot of other classes. The idea is yes you can change classes, but when you do, you do go back to level 1, however you kept half your stats so a warrior with 800 hit points and tons of strength could come back as a pretty bad arsed over 400 hit point having level one mage (and yes he would have half that strength and usually start off with bonus MP due to the higher intelligence stat from the previous char being a high level).

I really hope this one let's you carry over your skills you master as time goes on along with advanced classes. In DW3

The only bad thing here is I thought the minstrel class was the special class and wanted to get a head start only to find out there is no Hero class, just your main is a Minstrel lol. So yeah I have myself and another minstrel, but who knows maybe the advanced special class is there and a step above minstrel? I know the manually does say there are advanced classes, but you probably have to master skill attributes for other classes to unlock them, or meet specific stat requirements. I am personally hoping to see one called merchant because they kinda advertise the old Taloon Character model from DW4 right on the front of the...... huh maybe it was in the quick look?

Changing classes is never necessary to finish the game in the DW/DQ series, however it usually makes it easier in case you find out not having a mage stinks like crazy later on. I am guessing I will end up seeing this, but who knows. I am just trying to relive DW3 and I remember never changing my classes the first play through because my old favored group worked real well (however thinking ahead has made me not choose this group :/). I hope they did not change this aspect, but I can tell you it was more fun trying to create super powered warriors that could cast the best destruction and healing magic while beating someone over the head with a heavy hammer/sword..... of course this requires extra time.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Juan summed it up quite nice: you become a stronger level 1 with the ability to relearn the spells you had before. As such, you can go into areas that would normally decimate level 1's and grind back up rather quickly into something more powerful and more flexible. I used to love doing this with priest-to-mage and vice versa combos as it would mean I'd have a main healer that could also do some decent nuking, and a nuker that could do some decent healing in DQ3.

JuanSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By JuanSolid

I decided to come back and clear some things up.

So in this game stats are reset to that of a level 1 character. If your class can not learn spells on it's own, it will not be allowed to carry them over from a previous classes levels. What you do get to carry over are skills learned through the skill point system, as an example, if your character knows dragon slash and changes to a wizard, he will still know dragon slash. I believe this covers all stat boost's as well gained through the skill point system, so that is kinda your "start with half stats" I mentioned. the big thing is you can equip all the weapons available to that class with no level restrictions, so your level one character can easily have a bad ass attack and defense......but low hit points, but than again the enemy is not hitting for much at that point lol.

Any skill points put towards a weapon skill set carry over from character to character and your allowed to build on them. In this respect my best advise is to seriously consider maxing out every characters core class for their class specific skill set. It would really stink to say be 10 points away from getting omnivocational (probably meaning spells carry over from class to class and your allowed to use all the equipment of said class) in a class and missing it because you maxed out your level......this is assuming the maximum level is some such as 60-80-99-or 100. If there is no max, who cares than?

All I know is I will be a bit ticked off if I am scouring the land for skill seeds to raise my mains minstrel skills because I focused on making him the ""tank" by slamming sword skills for extra damage. 

This game is seriously frustrating at times in the respect I mentioned above happens a lot and since nothing is explained I could have already screwed the pooch as they say. Oh well I am going back to making everyone who is not a thief, a thief, until they all learn to steal, and than back to their original classes. Having one char steal all the time and fail is a pita and wasted several hours of my time so far trying to get specific alchemy ingredients.

Now if I could only figure out if all the time I spend on this game is a form of OCD or because I am actually enjoying it. All I know is I am not bored really, because time flies and does not drag when I play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.