Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Dragon Quest IX (Promo Trailer)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Square have released a promo trailer on the Nintendo Channel prior to the launch of the game in Japan.

On July 11th, Japan will come to a stand still.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I played a lot of Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2.

I heard that Dragon Quest X was announced for the Wii, or maybe I'm wrong.....

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yeah it's coming out on Wii.

I played the PS2 game also, and Warrior 7 before that on my US PS one.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

I am looking forward to iX and X pretty much more than anything and so very glad that they are DS and Wii games.  I only started with VIII on the PS2 and have picked up all the DS games as a consequence.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @oldschool said:
    " I am looking forward to iX and X pretty much more than anything and so very glad that they are DS and Wii games.  I only started with VIII on the PS2 and have picked up all the DS games as a consequence. "

Here's some more footage to further wet your appetite :)

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Not to sure what to think about this yet..... Don't get me wrong it looks good and i've always loved the Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) series but i guess i'll just have to wait and find out more.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PureRok

You get to create your character this time? Cool.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @ValkyrieGoddess said:
    " Not to sure what to think about this yet..... Don't get me wrong it looks good and i've always loved the Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) series but i guess i'll just have to wait and find out more. "

Well it certainly looks pretty amazing graphically for a DS game, and we know a ton of effort is going into it from SE's best designers. DQ is the second biggest game in Japan, only to the new king Monster Hunter.

@PureRok
    said:
    " You get to create your character this time? Cool. "

The customization  is pretty neat. You cannot alter a character radically though, you you can tweak he or she to suit your own tastes. You will no doubt pick up items on your journey that you can attach to individual characters.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

The game is going to be very hard -

Kotaku:

Just because Square Enix is releasing Dragon Quest IX on the DS, doesn't mean they're putting out an easy game. On the contrary, DQIX is going to be difficult says series creator Yuji Horii.

We make the game to be quite hard. It's harder than any of the previous titles, and the enemies are also powerful... We strengthened the bosses, stuff like that.

The rationale for the amped up difficulty is that these days people can always find out information on the internet — like that's part of the game experience. A harder DQIX is compounded by the fact that there is only one data save slot. Ouch! 

Not at all happy about one save slot!..it's so obvious why it's only got one, and it sucks!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Can't they at least add multiple save support as a DSi enhanced feature, since it has internal memory? Or doesn't it? Or at least it officially uses flash carts, whatever would work... Though I don't think it has anything to do with the difficulty, I mean, I imagine with the type of game it is you can't make it so that it's impossible to progress, at most you may need to do some grinding... But multiple saves are good for other reasons.

Edit: Unless of course they do it to force households to buy more than one copy, heh... Square seems to rip people off so much lately, especially with WiiWare offerings being all about extra DLC content/episodes/whatever...

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Dragon Quest VII was pretty tough. If you neglect stuff like the Alchemy pot or the side quests, the enemies will be a pain in the ass. Also, the amount of experience points and money that you earn from battles isn't enough to purchase weapons and armor from shops that you encounter. 

I can't believe that this game is going to be harder than the previous games, though, then again, the difficulty of the of Dragon Quest VII was the thing that pretty much forces you to take upon the side quests. Which is one of the reasons why I like Dragon Quest VII because the side quests in the game can be very rewarding and make things very easier.    

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

I am really starting to hate how developers apply only one save slot, in order to promote more sales...it's so blatant

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By oldschool

I am not happy about a single save file.  There are 3 of of us in this house that want to play it and one save file is infuriating.

Problem solved?  I am going to have to get a Cyclo type card and make multiple copies.  It is legal in my country to make back-up files of a game you own, so I would be doing nothing illegal.  I hate single files so much and would have to be my biggest peeve with Nintendo.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

This is a day-one purchase for me when it hits North American shores.  That video was pretty cool.  I didn't realize there was that depth of customization in the game.  I knew about the armor and weapons but didn't know about the facial, height and hair options.  I'd have preferred 3 save slots like DQV (which has one for each potential wife I suspect), but I can deal with one I guess. 

I wonder how long it will take to assemble the "bunny suit" for your female party member (ha! you know there will be one in there).

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Axersia

Personally, I'm not that bothered by the one save slot thing since I never share my games anyway, and if you're at all familiar with the DQ series, you'll know that it's virtually impossible to save yourself into a corner (even if you WANTED to you still probably wouldn't be able to pull it off). This in contrast to other RPG powerhouse FF where you can save yourself into a corner at pretty much every save point in the game (not so much in FF12, though -- and if you could it would actually warn you about it, which was nice).

I imagine the Japanese don't really care either since everyone and their mother, brother, uncle, accountant, etc., were gonna buy the game anyway. Still though, it's a bit odd since it's been a tradition for DQ games to have 3 save slots ever since the SNES days (perhaps even the NES days -- don't remember).

@PenguinDust said:

" I wonder how long it will take to assemble the "bunny suit" for your female party member (ha! you know there will be one in there). "
    Hehe, the Bunny Suit is nice, but my personal favorite is the "Divine Bustier."

I'm hoping there'll also be a Puff Puff girl in this (a girl that smothers you with her breasts, another DQ tradition), but that's unlikely since they took her out of the DQ4 and 5 DS remakes (I guess they really wanted that E10 rating).

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust
    According to Kotaku, the reason for the one slot (as explained by Square Enix) is because the options are so wide, the save files are very large and rather than put in an extra one (or two) for us, they use that space to store "back up" data.  I don't think it's a huge deal since you when you die in DQ games you just go back to the church with all yout XP but half your cash.  And as long as you are using the bank, that isn't a big deal, either.  It would have been nice because I usually keep 3 to 5 back up saves in case one fails, but no use crying about it...it's not like I won't be buying this because of the one-save slot.

@Axersia:

Well, I found it hard to picture any of the wives in DQV proportioned enough to pull a "puff-puff" off as well as Jessica from DQVIII.  But, maybe things will be different in DQIX.  To quote a wise man...
    Needs more boobs  :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.