Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

No Random Encounters...good or bad?

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By liako21

I think Im kind of in between. being able to see your enemies is good when you dont want to mess with lesser enemies when wanting to travel from point A to point B as quickly as possible. On the downside I would say Im skipping more battles instead or saying F*** it might as well fight it out because it dragged me into this thing. as a result my characters I feel are weaker.  

So are you guys for or against random encounters?

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ChristianCastillo

I actually love this feature in DQ IX.  Being able to see and, most of the time, choose the enemy you want to fight is awesome especially when your trying to get an item such as a wing's bat to alchemise.  I like how you will know whether or not your at the right level to be in an area by the way the enemies react to your presence.  Being able to see what your going to fight and having a choice whether to battle or run has made grinding much more entertaining for me.  

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

This has been done in other games. Nothing really new. But I per fur it to " random" encounters when " random" means every 5 steps 

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By tutuboy95

It sucks when I want to get from point A to point B in a dungeon without being constantly attacked by monsters, and using MP/items to heal. So, I'm mainly for it. But sometimes I just cockily avoid encounters because you CAN, and that hurt me in the long run.

Amethyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Amethyst

I prefer no random encounters, and it's what killed DQVIII for me personally. A world that huge doesn't benefit from the same "every few steps" philosophy. :(

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By onarum

Good all the way of course, I HATE random encounters, back in the day we had no choice, pretty much all JRPGS were like that, then came chronno trigger and secret of mana showing how it's supposed to be done (don't know if those were the very first to abolish random battles, but at least for me they were), and I never looked back.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Synthballs

It's pretty spectacular. I hate most JRPG's for the whole Random Battle element but this makes it tolerable.

kratosauron0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By kratosauron0

I think having no random encounters is great when it's combined with good dungeon design, which I feel Dragon Quest IX does pretty well.  It's nice that DQ IX allows you to see and pick your battles, but the designers were also smart in using large enemies, very fast enemies, and small, well-placed passages to 'force' people into battles without making them random. 
    While it's easier from a technical standpoint to use random battles, it seems that it's much less frustrating to a casual player when it 'seems' that you're choosing your battle.  The best video games always make players feel empowered, while still leading them along; this philosophy can also be said about using non-random battles.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By apathylad

It worked fine for the most part. Still, enemies would pop out in narrow corridors, so it often made it difficult to proceed without touching the enemy. Also, I never understood why the game doesn't pause when you're in the item and spell menu healing your party. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @kratosauron0 said:
    " I think having no random encounters is great when it's combined with good dungeon design, which I feel Dragon Quest IX does pretty well.  It's nice that DQ IX allows you to see and pick your battles, but the designers were also smart in using large enemies, very fast enemies, and small, well-placed passages to 'force' people into battles without making them random. While it's easier from a technical standpoint to use random battles, it seems that it's much less frustrating to a casual player when it 'seems' that you're choosing your battle.  The best video games always make players feel empowered, while still leading them along; this philosophy can also be said about using non-random battles. "
    Yes. Yes... Yes. 

I don't play a whole lot of JRPGs, but when I was playing Lost Odyssey I remember thinking how much more I would like the game if the enemy encounters weren't random (I actually still liked the game a lot despite this). I get that that game was going for a more traditional feel, but taking the same approach they took to Blue Dragon's encounters would have really helped make me feel more empowered to make my own battle decisions, as you mentioned. 

I think I was scarred at an early age by the random battles in Wild Arms. Those annoyed me so bad as a kid.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By landon

Random encounters suck. Period.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @Apathylad said:
    " It worked fine for the most part. Still, enemies would pop out in narrow corridors, so it often made it difficult to proceed without touching the enemy. Also, I never understood why the game doesn't pause when you're in the item and spell menu healing your party.  "
    The fact that it doesn't pause is because it's structured the same way in single-player as it is in multiplayer, which doesn't pause when one of the other party members accesses the menu.

As for the lack of random encounters, I'm fine with the way Dragon Quest IX handles enemy encounters.  I don't despite random encounters, but being able to see where the the enemies does make things more enjoyable.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust
    @Landon said:

" Random encounters suck. Period. "

I agree. Still remember how weak my character was in FFX because of it. I hated having to stand around grinding with random encounters. FFXII made much more tolerable. 
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mcfart

Persona games did it better. It sometimes still feels like there are random encounters when the enemy warps in right beside your party.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It's really annoying how sometimes an enemy will appear right on top of you while you're in the menus healing, especially since my RPG instincts cause me to heal right after a battle. But other than that it's a great system. Hunting rare monsters like Metal Slimes is made less hair pulling as well. I hope to see it become a series standard.

InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By InKtOiD

I'm all for random encounters in moderation. It used to be so annoying in some games when you would walk every five steps and have another tedious encounter that took longer to load then to complete. Depending on the type of game random encounters or encounters you can avoid both have pros and cons.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Random Encounters were nothing but a system limitation that should have died a long time ago. I have always hated the "every few steps" rules in earlier RPG's

Edit: Wanted to mention that the Mother series handled encounters better then I have ever seen in a game. No random encounters and if you very clearly were overpowered for a weakling monster then the game would bypast the fight and let you keep going on your way.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cornman89

Random encounters are, at best, tolerable. I can't even imagine a situation in which I would find them beneficial to a game.

EDIT: Godammit. Necro-thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.