Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Only one save?! Are you kidding me?!

tuque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By tuque

I am extremely  disappointed that Dragon Quest 9 only allows you to have one game save. I bought this thinking that my daughter and I could play different adventures using the same cartridge and DS. But, it turns out, they only let you have one save per cart! So, what, if I want to have two saves I have to buy another copy of the game?!  

Lame! 

I like the game so far, but the one-save thing is irksome. I wish they'd allow you to save to the system memory.  

Anybody know of a way around this one-save nonsense?

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zonerover
    @tuque: I guess they're taking the Pokemon route so that everybody has to have their own game and DS to play. Not surprised considering its Nintendo - that's how they make these games sell.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Both Pokemon and DQ are pretty massive games.  I think more than being some kind of money making scheme, it's just memory limitations. 

With the DSi, there's really no reason we shouldn't be able to save to an SD card, but the games just haven't taken advantage of that technology.  Hopefully it's something we see more with the 3DS, it definitely seems Nintendo has become aware that much of their tech is borderline outdated at this stage.. especially in regards to online play.

Vandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Vandal

Maybe they see it as a way to get you to buy two copies of the game, one for you and one for your daughter. Especially with the local mutliplayer feature. But it could be that the DS cart is packed (RPG's tend to include large volumes of data) so they could only allow for one save state without removing content from the game. But I'm inclined to think the former is more likely.

EDIT: Basically what the guys above me said.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
    @tuque: I'd just let your daughter play the game first then after she is done with it ask if you can start a new save file. That is pretty crappy though.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By JokerSmilez

Is it really that surprising that game companies are trying to force you to buy multiple copies of the game if you want multiple people to play it?

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
    @MiamiRedHawks: I know its a lot of money, but if you both a DS and a copy of the game I believe you can play the co-op mode together.
    Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

Yeah the whole one-save thing has been pissing me off since the pokemon games made the transition to the DS. Back on the GB, this shit seemed excusable b/c of limited memory and such, but not anymore. Im really surprised i dont see more people complaining about this.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By Forcen

You create every single partymember in that game right? I bet that's a large save file.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TotalEklypse

i would have to agree with the notion it was probably a retarded choice to force people to buy their own copy. just another strike for asshole companies.  

dance puppets dance..

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Having one save slot does not bother me. And if I remember correctly the game director, or someone said that the save file is very large.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By hockeymask27

As some already said. The size of the old Pokemon carts made one save reasonable. However times have changed. Plus some of the new DS have memory card slots don't they.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zonerover

Even if the Gameboy was memory limited, I can't understand why the custom SD cards Nintendo are using on the DS can't hold more than one save slot. If they really wanted to, they probably could just restrict you to making one less custom character in order to have multiple saves, or even just removing redundant memory. While on the PS2 you couldn't get away with a single slot, the DS has different expectations. Therein lies Nintendo's  commercially driven reason for keeping this to a single save.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sooty

You could get an R4/Acekard or whatever flash cart then you can have as many save slots as you want. 

If the piracy thing bothers you then you can still buy the games yourself and then use the roms, you will be morally okay because you've still paid for the game, you should be able to save to as many slots as you want really.

tuque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tuque
    @MiamiRedHawks: My daughter is only 7 and I don't think she's that dedicated to playing the game. She just likes the monsters. In fact, when I handed the DS to her tonight and said, "do you wanna play?" She paused and said, "is it okay if I play something else instead? I want to play Nintendogs." 

Ironic, because Nintendogs is another  game that doesn't allow you to have multiple save files. I'm noticing a trend here. A quick inventory of my DS games gives me a 50/50 ratio; 50% allow multiple saves, 50% allow only one. 

I guess the storage limitations make it understandable, but it's still lame!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
    @zonerover said:
    " @tuque: I guess they're taking the Pokemon route so that everybody has to have their own game and DS to play. Not surprised considering its Nintendo - that's how they make these games sell. "
    The game was made by Square Enix.  Nintendo is only publishing it in North America and didn't do anything to change the way the save system works.

That being said, it doesn't bother me.  A lot of DS games take the same route; particularly those with wireless functions such as the ones Dragon Quest IX supports.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Red

Having more than one save slot lets you hack trades so you can have one file that does the trade, and another file saved without doing the trade.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Afroman269

I really hope the 3DS will introduce saving on an internal memory or SD card. I hate having one save files for some games.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By audiosnag

This seems pretty ridiculous that this is still an issue in 2010.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Animasta

to be fair Devil Survivor had 1 save too, and I doubt that was due to any ulterior motive (it was on a 64 mb card instead of 128 as I recall)

tuque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tuque
    @Red: In Fable II it's a similar deal; they don't want you cheating when you go online so you can't have multiple saves per character. However, Fable II still let you roll new characters and have separate saves for different characters. That would have been nice for DQ9 and, in this scenario, with both me and my daughter wanting to play separate games, it would have done the trick.
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zonerover
    @Hailinel said:
    " @zonerover said:
    " @tuque: I guess they're taking the Pokemon route so that everybody has to have their own game and DS to play. Not surprised considering its Nintendo - that's how they make these games sell. "
    The game was made by Square Enix.  Nintendo is only publishing it in North America and didn't do anything to change the way the save system works.  That being said, it doesn't bother me.  A lot of DS games take the same route; particularly those with wireless functions such as the ones Dragon Quest IX supports. "
    Okay - I thought it was odd that Square Enix would give up the rights to such a lucrative series. I just trusted Kessler; he's right, and I just took his comment out of context.
    JamesBoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JamesBoyce

I find it more surprising that instead of researching the matter, people would rather speculate radical non-sense, like they want you to buy two copies.  Ryutaro Ichimura, the game's producer has already explained why there's only one save slot, basically there's not enough space on the system for two traditional save-slots, instead there is a backup system.  If there is battery failure or something similar, there'll be a backup of your save.  Personally, I'd much rather have this on a portable system where it's likely that battery failure or something else potentially save-damaging could easily occur.  It's just a shame the DS isn't strong enough to allow multiple save slots AND a backup slot.  As mentioned above, I too hope the 3DS allows for more save slots or perhaps saving to an SD card.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sooty

It's not that the DS isn't strong enough, it's the space on the card not a limitation of the system. 

Like I said, flash cards (Acekard, R4) all allow you to have as many save slots as you want, actually that could be the wrong the limit could be, erm...10. A big bonus of the flash cards though is that you can access the saves on your PC and back them all up that way, not sure if there's a way to do that with standard DS games but it's damn sweet.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Ygg:  Using a flashcart, a certain piece of software and a wifi connection, one CAN back up the saves (and the games) of their legit DS games. It just takes a really long time.  

But yeah, outside of flashcarts... you're screwed.  

Also save data takes like no memory, any game DS can easily have two slots. I know the size of save files, they're a matter of tens of KBs. Don't tell me they couldn't fit that. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.