Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Unnecessarily large update on everything.

takeshikitano3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By takeshikitano3

By what must be some accident, some gaming sites I like to use (though not all of them) are now unblocked at the office.  So if I'm typing this now it means... well nothing good.  I suppose when I get home I'd rather do the things I might blog about rather than actually blog.  In reviewing a few recent posts I've found that I break a lot of promises with these words.  I'll try not to make any crazy proclamations.  Any update on what I've been playing must begin with the words Dragon Quest... 

It's ever so clear that Dragon Quest IX has taken up a large chunk of my gaming time in the last 7 months.  More than half of it.  270 hours and still checking into the DQVC most days to try and buy items I haven't obtained yet in the game.  Haven't run through a grotto even in a couple months, or done a quest in nearly as long, but you never know.  Still so much to do, and though I sort of burned out on the game, I still really like it.  I carried it around everywhere at Comic-Con last month and easily got my 30 tags for the Questers Rest hotel thingy.  Just yesterday I helped a couple guys out from GameFAQs by going to my local mall and giving away all sorts of great maps.  I used to be the guy needed any maps or tips at all.  Now I'm the one with the big ones, it's a bit odd.  Happy to assist them though. 

A few weeks ago I started up Dragon Quest IV, which I had never played on the NES, and it's pretty good.  20+ hours in.  I should beat it soon, then I should jump into DQV, but we'll see where that goes.  I also last week jumped into Chrono Trigger DS because I was sick and needed something super comfortable and familiar.  Never got more than a few hours into the DS version and I'd love to see some of that bonus content. 

Never did get back into FFXII as I was hoping in January.  Got further than last time at least.  Also tried to replay MGS4 but lost steam after finishing Act 3.  Pretty much just cycling 3 different DS carts through the XL at the moment, but enjoying my current gaming. 

The big one off in the distance is for sure Uncharted 3.  Preordered it over a month ago, spent maybe 15 hours on the multiplayer beta, loved it, quite excited for the finished product.  Well, that's the big one in terms of excitement.  The big one -- potentially -- in terms of hours is White Knight Chronicles II.  Really liked that first one, want to play the 2nd, but if I think of it in terms of a game I'd put 150+ hours into, then I see all the other things I can do with 150+ hours.  Perhaps after Christmas if it's cheap, maybe.  Damn that's a dangerous maybe. 

I guess I mentioned up there that I went to Comic-Con in July.  First con of any sort for me.  Started planning last year right after the 2010 one ended and I had been drooling over all the G4 coverage.  Planned out absolutely every aspect, so I never got overwhelmed, and had so so much fun.  A friend of mine from college went too and we have 4-day passes already for next year.  Bought some cool stuff at the Square-Enix store, though there weren't many games at the con I was dying to actually play.  I suppose I make most of my purchasing decisions without demos.

Happy gaming y'all, JP

takeshikitano3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By takeshikitano3

By what must be some accident, some gaming sites I like to use (though not all of them) are now unblocked at the office.  So if I'm typing this now it means... well nothing good.  I suppose when I get home I'd rather do the things I might blog about rather than actually blog.  In reviewing a few recent posts I've found that I break a lot of promises with these words.  I'll try not to make any crazy proclamations.  Any update on what I've been playing must begin with the words Dragon Quest... 

It's ever so clear that Dragon Quest IX has taken up a large chunk of my gaming time in the last 7 months.  More than half of it.  270 hours and still checking into the DQVC most days to try and buy items I haven't obtained yet in the game.  Haven't run through a grotto even in a couple months, or done a quest in nearly as long, but you never know.  Still so much to do, and though I sort of burned out on the game, I still really like it.  I carried it around everywhere at Comic-Con last month and easily got my 30 tags for the Questers Rest hotel thingy.  Just yesterday I helped a couple guys out from GameFAQs by going to my local mall and giving away all sorts of great maps.  I used to be the guy needed any maps or tips at all.  Now I'm the one with the big ones, it's a bit odd.  Happy to assist them though. 

A few weeks ago I started up Dragon Quest IV, which I had never played on the NES, and it's pretty good.  20+ hours in.  I should beat it soon, then I should jump into DQV, but we'll see where that goes.  I also last week jumped into Chrono Trigger DS because I was sick and needed something super comfortable and familiar.  Never got more than a few hours into the DS version and I'd love to see some of that bonus content. 

Never did get back into FFXII as I was hoping in January.  Got further than last time at least.  Also tried to replay MGS4 but lost steam after finishing Act 3.  Pretty much just cycling 3 different DS carts through the XL at the moment, but enjoying my current gaming. 

The big one off in the distance is for sure Uncharted 3.  Preordered it over a month ago, spent maybe 15 hours on the multiplayer beta, loved it, quite excited for the finished product.  Well, that's the big one in terms of excitement.  The big one -- potentially -- in terms of hours is White Knight Chronicles II.  Really liked that first one, want to play the 2nd, but if I think of it in terms of a game I'd put 150+ hours into, then I see all the other things I can do with 150+ hours.  Perhaps after Christmas if it's cheap, maybe.  Damn that's a dangerous maybe. 

I guess I mentioned up there that I went to Comic-Con in July.  First con of any sort for me.  Started planning last year right after the 2010 one ended and I had been drooling over all the G4 coverage.  Planned out absolutely every aspect, so I never got overwhelmed, and had so so much fun.  A friend of mine from college went too and we have 4-day passes already for next year.  Bought some cool stuff at the Square-Enix store, though there weren't many games at the con I was dying to actually play.  I suppose I make most of my purchasing decisions without demos.

Happy gaming y'all, JP

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By sopachuco13

Did you end up picking up White Knight Chronicles II? I am pretty interested in that game. I never played the first one, but I always wanted to. I can't find any information on Giant Bomb. (Probably, not the best place to go for hardcore JRPGs, I know!) I was looking on Metacritic and it seems like the reviews are love or hate. I suppose I'll just start reading through the reviews, but I am also at work and my connection is blocked to most game websites. Thank god for Giant Bomb not being blocked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.