Namco Announces Dragonball: The Movie: The Game

• 63 results
Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

As a critic you're not supposed to judge something before you actually get to experience it for yourself, but I'm completely comfortable saying that Dragonball: Evolution, the upcoming Hollywood live-action movie adaptation of Akira Toriyama's long-running and unreasonably popular manga and anime series, will be a complete goddamn train-wreck. Never mind the fact that it has run wildly over-budget, has had its release date pushed back several times, and was subjected to last-minute reshoots and a tacked-on subtitle. Even if they didn't make Piccolo look like some kind of albino flipper baby, the truth of the matter is that the source material is unfilmable. Dragon Ball Z is so ridiculous that it barely works as a cartoon. You try and make that with real actors, you're going to piss off fans and annoy everyone else.

To ensure that the legacy of Dragonball: Evolution is embarrassingly unforgettable, Namco Bandai has today announced that they're making a Dragonball: Evolution fighting game for the PSP. It looks like a pretty straight-up Budokai-style fighter, except that the characters look like polygonal versions of the actors who play the characters in the movie, making it highly reminiscent of Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

I'm a reformed DBZ fan, though Vinny has been unable to kick the habit. His response to these screenshots? “Have fun at dinner.
Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

As a critic you're not supposed to judge something before you actually get to experience it for yourself, but I'm completely comfortable saying that Dragonball: Evolution, the upcoming Hollywood live-action movie adaptation of Akira Toriyama's long-running and unreasonably popular manga and anime series, will be a complete goddamn train-wreck. Never mind the fact that it has run wildly over-budget, has had its release date pushed back several times, and was subjected to last-minute reshoots and a tacked-on subtitle. Even if they didn't make Piccolo look like some kind of albino flipper baby, the truth of the matter is that the source material is unfilmable. Dragon Ball Z is so ridiculous that it barely works as a cartoon. You try and make that with real actors, you're going to piss off fans and annoy everyone else.

To ensure that the legacy of Dragonball: Evolution is embarrassingly unforgettable, Namco Bandai has today announced that they're making a Dragonball: Evolution fighting game for the PSP. It looks like a pretty straight-up Budokai-style fighter, except that the characters look like polygonal versions of the actors who play the characters in the movie, making it highly reminiscent of Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

I'm a reformed DBZ fan, though Vinny has been unable to kick the habit. His response to these screenshots? “Have fun at dinner.
Staff
#2 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

Oh it's on now girlfriend.

#3 Posted by gamerpigeon (347 posts) -

man that looks like a crap fest , another reason to feel comfortable in the decision i made to swap my psp for an ipod

#4 Posted by AZ123 (158 posts) -

I want you guys to talk about this on the next Bombcast.

#5 Posted by Karmum (11518 posts) -

BURST LIMIT?!?

This is going to be very, very, very bad. The DBZ-child-lover in me would be screaming right now.

#6 Posted by Vance_Helsing (215 posts) -

Dude...I...uh...have nothing to say. *sniff*. They finally broke my spirit. -_-'

#7 Posted by rmanthorp (3910 posts) -

Oh dear god why does this little voice in my head tell me to get it DX

#8 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Dood, what if it ends up being completely fuckin' awesome, Ryan?  Wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake?

#9 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

That is the worst looking game I have seen... :/

#10 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Damnit, stop trying to kill the PSP, you fiendish pieces of shit!

#11 Posted by Karmum (11518 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Dood, what if it ends up being completely fuckin' awesome, Ryan?  Wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake?"
True irony of a video game based-on-a-movie turning out to be great.
#12 Posted by SM2099 (240 posts) -

NOOOOOOO!!! Where is God when you need him?! F' the conflict in the middle east, the UN has to bring people like me some relief or I begin a kicking in the groin rampage across L.A.

#13 Posted by SoulEdgeSlayer (534 posts) -

...what's up with that video link at the bottom of the post?  That was pretty random but funny!

#14 Posted by MachoFantastico (4594 posts) -

Don't worry folks, I'm sure this game will surprise us all and be as good as the movie itself......

*cough* isn't sarcaism such a wonderful thing!

#15 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

all I can really say is... lol.

#16 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Good god, Asian business-men reary rike money.

#17 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

Unreasonably popular?! I stopped reading right there.
#18 Posted by JJOR64 (18942 posts) -

Uuuhhh.....  Is there going to be a crappy story mode where I just play as Guile?  Well, maybe Master Roshi in this game.

#19 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -

Wow, this game looks awesome.

....yeah, not really. The child inside of me is screaming in terror right now.

#20 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

traaaaaaain wreeeeeeeck

you can tell from the screenshots it's the exact same goddamn game as the budokais, but with different character models. Embarassing.

#21 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

GotY

#22 Posted by PJ (1143 posts) -

I could totally feel the hate when reading this. It was funny as hell. And yeah, DBZ is so damn balls-to-the-wall grazy that any kind of adaption of it, be it live-action or other it can't be done whitout pissing all the crazy fans of. Also I dont want to go watch a damn movie where they stare at each other for half the movie and then charge up attacks the other half and before actually starting to fight, roll credits.

Seriously, DBZ is the most painfully drawn out show ive ever seen. And Naruto Shippuden is getting to the same level. Why the hell doeas one fight have to take 3-5eps???? And why do they always wait untill the other guy recovers? If you got him on the ground don't start a damn speach of why you are better then the other dude, just kill the bastard when hes down.

#23 Posted by 0CEL0T (16 posts) -
#24 Posted by Sephiroth9997 (265 posts) -

Releasing a game based on a movie with the real movie actors being in the game is so appropriate right now. 

#25 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

Good Lord.. Is there any mercy left?

#26 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -

Soooo this is a new Virtua Fighter 1 re-release?

#27 Posted by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

A fighting game based on an Americanized B-movie based off a really old Anime series from Japan just can't fail!

The screenshots alone make me want to puke. I'd actually play any of the recent Dragonball games if it meant never seeing these again. Makes me wonder how badly the movie is going to fail.

#28 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

The guy who plays Goku was in a episode of Lost playing a young John Locke, that's where I recognise him from.

#29 Posted by LiquidPrince (15902 posts) -

I'm not going to judge the movie since I haven't seen it yet, but damn that game looks embarrassing...

#30 Posted by Phoenix87 (478 posts) -

Reminds me of Street Fighter the Movie: The Game, mostly as this will be just as terrible.

#31 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Oh.... so i am pretty sure there is a duplicate page of this game since i added it a couple of weeks ago already but with the Japanese name which i do not remember what it was... Hummm....

#32 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

They wouldn't even let this on the Wii!!!

*OMG I went there*

#33 Posted by vegetashonor (576 posts) -

NO!!! NO, NO, NOOO!!! Why??? There is no logic here...I honestly believe that I would rather play Shaq-Fu, while hanging upside down in a tank full of annoyed, hungry sharks!!! Holy freakin crap man!!! This is sooooo bad!!! I honestly am upset that they changed the movie as much as they did, but now this is the icing on the shit cake...Oh God...Good luck to all who bites the bullet on this one.

#34 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

Ugh, here we go.

#35 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11594 posts) -

Wow, I thought the movie was nothing more than an elaborate prank on the youtubes. But the fact that this game is based on a real movie is the scariest thing ever.

#36 Posted by LiquidPrince (15902 posts) -

Mortal Kombat graphics ahoy.

#37 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

So...it's coming out on the PS1?

#38 Posted by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -

Any game with two colons in the title is bound for greatness.

#39 Posted by Yelix (333 posts) -

Glad to know I'm not the only person who made the Street Fighter comparison.
Except the Saturn version of Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game was okay.

#40 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

A train wreck indeed. I liked the series in it's original form by itself, making it a live action film is just fuckin' unnecessary.

#41 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

The movie would be good, if they made it in japan, with japanese film makers, in the home of the source material. Them guys know how to make awesome balls to the wall action movies based off japanese material, over here in NA...not so much.

#42 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

The reasoning behind both the movie and the game is kind of messed up.

Scratch that - the reasoning behind the entire freakin' series is messed up.

And that's no joke(s).

#43 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

now we know for sure the butchered the fuck out of a great source material.

why the fuck did they have to make it a teeny movie, and rewrite so much of the story?
they should have taken the LOTR route and made it as faithful as possible because it would totally work and be far more interesting. he doesn't appear to be an alien saiyan anymore, just the seriously lame "chosen one"
#44 Posted by spiceninja (3056 posts) -

Well they've finally gone and done it. They've killed DBZ.

#45 Posted by Kman (77 posts) -

I was on my way to getting out of the dbz addiction but...i just can't do it man....i just can't do it... especially when there's a youtube video of goku and vegeta brawling with evenascense playing in the backround always a button press away...idk how ryan was able to get through it

#46 Edited by DeusExMathias (23 posts) -
Karmum said:
... The DBZ-child-lover in me would be screaming right now."
Uhh, dude, did you just say that you were a lover of DBZ-children?  Or that YOU were a DBZ-child and there's a lover inside of you right now who's screaming? 
Either way, that's pretty gross.
#47 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

Makes me wanna vomit

#48 Posted by DeusExMathias (23 posts) -

Indeed, but I digress.

I imagine a 90 minute movie of extended shots of people screaming and flexing at each other as the camera slowly zooms in on the actors' faces.  Then an explosion. And then the credits.

#49 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1862 posts) -

realistic character models in a dbz game just look perverse and wrong

#50 Edited by HiroSeven (215 posts) -

There are some things that don't need to be brought to life... the world of Dragon Ball is one of them.

This totally reminds me of what happened when Street Fighter the movie came out, it didn't really ruin SF for me though so in the same vain I don't think this movie will ruin DBZ for me. I'm glad at least that the theme is done by Hamasaki Ayumi. 

I wonder how Toriyama feels about this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.