Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Feb 05, 2015

A fighting game for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC set in the Dragon Ball Z universe.

Is this game that good ?!?!

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Im already seeing alot of fans saying this is the best dragon ball game ever created.. Im not sure what to feel after so many shitty ones. Budokai 3 is my personal fav of all the games and this one seems to be getting received by fans.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good dragonball game. But not necessarily a good game

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@bcooper21: whhhaaat? what are you talking about?!? Can I truly raise my hopes? I had assumed budokai 3 would be the pinnacle forever.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j said:

@bcooper21: whhhaaat? what are you talking about?!? Can I truly raise my hopes? I had assumed budokai 3 would be the pinnacle forever.

Alot of people seem to love it. I watched few streams of it yesterday.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nasp

ive seen a good deal of gameplay,and imo it looks really fun,and i plan to buy it at some point.as for best dragon ball game.if you like rpgs i could see people liking it the best.

austinmiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I want to create a 7 foot namekian that can use Kaioken and this game allows me to do that.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VierasTalo

All I want is for @vinny to tell us what's up in the Xenoverse.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Can I create the Strongest Krillin there ever was? Better yet, can I create me? Piccolo and Krillin should have been able to keep up. Why did no one ever ask the dragon to make themselves stronger? Something like "I wish I was stronger than any opponent I faced in a fight".

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By FLStyle

@super2j: As far as I can tell you can definitely make an existing character, give them a name that says Piccolo alternate universe or something and make them really powerful, would be cool.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I played the beta and I really didn't like it. Probably because it did a poor job of explaining how everything worked.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

It's a good dragonball game. But not necessarily a good game

I mean thats all I really want. much like wrestling games you kinda review them in a vacuum as they are very specific in what they are releasing.

Im still holding off but really stoked to hear this might actaully be a game worth buying and playing whenever I want to go super sayain

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know those playground rumors of Krillin going super saiyan...even though he is bald...finally became a reality. Thank you Toriyama-sempai!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The game might be the best, but the servers are the worst. I haven't managed to stay connected for more than 5 minutes.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My roommate has it, and playing it with him as been a blast. They put a lot of time, and effort into this game. The story feels fresh and the multi battles i saw him do last night were epic!

JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is there some embargo for the review of this game, I've seen plenty of reviews but none from the major sites.

DBXV isn't released until tomorrow in the UK and I'm dying to play it.

I've not played any DB games for a few years but I'm hoping this will be as fun as it looks.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Budokai 3 forever... if this is the case though... I... I may have to jump on it! I can feel the itch coming on

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there some embargo for the review of this game, I've seen plenty of reviews but none from the major sites.

I've not played any DB games for a few years but I'm hoping this will be as fun as it looks.

my guess is its more of a click rate thing. my guess is only a certain group of people are gonna buy that game and they arent clicking on tons of reviews.

or they simply didnt send copies out to us game sites

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juggertrainuk said:

my guess is its more of a click rate thing. my guess is only a certain group of people are gonna buy that game and they arent clicking on tons of reviews.

We aren't clicking on tons of reviews because we all expected this game to be a giant kick in the nuts like so many of them have. :P

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer said:

@bradbrains said:

@juggertrainuk said:

We aren't clicking on tons of reviews because we all expected this game to be a giant kick in the nuts like so many of them have. :P

much like wrestling games I have a battered husband syndrome with the series.

but there is a point to this. why sent a copy to a big site who is just gonna hate on it?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By gaminghooligan

So I've played about 6 hours.

It's way better than any other DBZ game they've made. The character creation and ability to equip your own gear and move-sets is a highlight. The gear can be bought from a clothing shop in game or you can complete "parallel" quests which are all fun. These quests usually involve a character group from a famous episode fighting you with a twist. For example there may be a fight where you have to team up with Vegeta to take down a power crazy Goku. The story is similar in that the premise is basically you team up with Trunks and become a time cop, who has to travel back to key moments in DBZ history to stop someone from mucking up the timeline. These have all been great so far, and it's a breath of fresh air for them to finally do something besides rehash the same story over and over.

Gameplay is pretty solid. It's what you'd expect from a DBZ game; basic attacks are a little samey, but you can equip whatever specials you want. So if you want to be a Buu esq. character that spams Galick Guns then that's there for ya. The targeting, while slightly flawed in it's camera presentation, does the job and is necessary since some of the arenas (Namek for example) are HUGE. There's also some basic level destruction, like building imploding after being hit with a blast etc. May be worth noting also that there's multiplayer but at the moment the servers are pretty unstable. It looks like it will work sort of mmo like once they get it up and running.

Overall it's been a lot of fun, there seems to be a lot of content here and I haven't spied any microtransactions or in app garbage. There's a dlc season pass that promises more characters and content but if you don't want to do that there's already somewhere around 50 characters in the game (I mean they even have playable versions of Frieza's henchmen that aren't the Ginyu Goobers) and most of the characters are the one's you'd want in there. I can't speak to a who's who since I only watched the Sayain, Frieza, Cell, and Bu sagas (no Dragon Ball or DBGT or the movies) so most of these guys I'm unfamiliar with.

Also here's some footage of me playing the other night if you want to see it in action.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been hearing it's like Destiny DBZ or something along those lines. That sounds rad to me. PC version unlocks soon so I might hop on that.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@gaminghooligan: Wow... this looks pretty fun. Thanks for the impressions and footage.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Good on Akira Toriyama for still being able to do that Scrooge McDuck swimming in money thing.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: hey np. I'm as shocked as anyone that I'm enjoying this game, hadn't bought one since like Budokai 2 or 3

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so I got it

its easily the most effort they have put into a DBZ game in a long time.

they took a lot of the elements form dragonball online and put it in here.there is a level system as well as an equipment system.

along with the main story there is a quest system both online and offline used to get money and iteams for your character.

battle system is stil the tenkaichi system but its paced better and its more about playing smartly with your energy than mashing too much. character models look pretty.

its a for the fans kinda game but I think it has some merits

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gaminghooligan

Been hearing it's like Destiny DBZ or something along those lines. That sounds rad to me. PC version unlocks soon so I might hop on that.

That's actually a pretty good comparison, although I can assure you there's more content here lol

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@bradbrains: The things I don't like about the dragonball games is the cannon breaking stuff like Raditz taking on SS3 Goku, which should be like a mouse trying to fight a battle tank made out of nukes but in the game they are evenly matched. Is the game like that or do the power levels actually count?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BradBrains

@rollingzeppelin: Raditiz get extra powers from some time jerks who are the main bad guy in the story mode so that's why he can fight ssj3 goku

Power levels aren't a big thing I. These games as if they did gone would be stronger than everyone but there are somewhat generally more powerful than others.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Also what are the multiplayer modes? How does co-op work?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@bradbrains said:

@rollingzeppelin: Raditiz get extra powers from some time jerks who are the main bad guy in the story mode so that's why he can fight ssj3 goku

Power levels aren't a big thing I. These games as if they did gone would be stronger than everyone but there are somewhat generally more powerful than others.

I guess that's true. I just want to play a mode where I can smash the other guy's atoms out of existence by flicking him with my pinky lol. They should include an extra mode like that.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BradBrains

@artisanbreads: You can either do basic online fights (up to three on three ) or play the quests online.

EXPFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is brilliant so far!

Northeastmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@expfall: So it's worth the investment? I was a huge DBZ fan years ago. Imports, VHS tapes, games, etc. I bought Battle for Z and I was disappointed with the lack of content and game play mechanics.

drchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@northeastmonk: Absolutely. I haven't really liked any DBZ games since the PS1 era, I feel like the 3D games always had issues with camera, or targeting or just moving around in 3D space. This games nails it. It's got a lock on (RT stick switches targets), and auto-aims/flys/faces you to who your targeted to.

The camera has not once annoyed me, and if the camera thinks it's about to spaz out, it just zooms out, so you always see where you are.

Like mentioned a lot, this game really is Destiny DBZ. There's a "tower" where you can mingle with other players, you can go on strikes (the parallel quests) and choose to do them with 2 other people, or do them "offline" where you just choose 2 NPCs from the show (Goku, Vegetta, etc). There are story missions (time patrols). And you can do VS battles. Also if you team up with someone real and like them, you can "favorite" them and they will show up in the tower as an NPC that you can always recruit even if the player isn't really online (drivatar-style, lol).

Years ago I was SUPER disappointed that DBZ online didn't come out over here, but it seems this game is like a lite version of the mmo, but improved in a lot of ways.

So if you ever wanted to play Destiny, but instead of a shooter wanted it to be a fast action brawler/fighter, and wanted a TON of content....here you go.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been tempted to buy this game as well from watching streams. I really don't know what is wrong with me. I haven't watched anything Dragon Ball in about 15 years. Ahh...if only Vinny would do a Quicklook.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dan_CiTi

it's DBZ Tenkaichi but Diablo. Seems fun if you like DBZ and that gameplay. Seems okay as someone who used to like DBZ (I just got bored of it and every game was the same thing telling the same story from 20 years ago) but not necessarily an amazing game.

Peleus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoying this game and glad to see it is selling well on Steam. I do hope they dedice to activate more servers on Monday so i can play more than one mission before losing connection to Xenoverse Servers.

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It''s Back to the Future mixed with Time Cop mixed with Destiny mixed with a good game.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j said:

From what I'm seeing, the gameplay won't ever be as tight as Budokai was but the RPG elements, character creation, time-jumping, and basically being able to fight pretty similar to the actual anime all seem like decent compromises for a good DBZ game.

Anyone have PC version impressions?

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By poobumbutt

@bcooper21: I hate how it pushes the team system on you so harshly. At a certain point, if you don't start bringing in team members with you to battles against 2+ enemies, you just get gangbanged. Other than that, it's still pretty fun and is a great DBZ game. But perhaps not that great of an overall game. Tenkaichi 2 was better I thought, and even that game had some problems, but I still loved it. Far as I'm concerned, they've got a while to go before they overtake Budokai 3. Worth a rental, see if you like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.