Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Feb 05, 2015

A fighting game for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC set in the Dragon Ball Z universe.

Where is the hype for this game!?!?!?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

Here is the announcement trailer for those of you who missed it.

We are finally getting another Dragon Ball Z game with Dimps back in the saddle! Dimps, for those of you who don't know, are the ones who made the Dragon Ball Z games that didn't suck poop (they are responsible for the Budokai games).

Are you guys excited for this game or are you sick of Dragon Ball Z?

Epileptic flashing lights at their finest!
    Epileptic flashing lights at their finest!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

In the 90s where it belongs?

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

More notably, Dimps were co-developers on the Street Fighter IV games. So there's a fair chance this game may turn out to be a decent fighter.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I will gain some level of excitement once I see the final game. I've been burned too many times to build up any level of hope for a new DBZ game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Last DBZ game I played was Tenkaichi 3. I remember really enjoying it at the time (playing as Future Gohan was pretty awesome), but I've never felt compelled to buy another DBZ game since then. Partly because there's just so damn many -- of varying quality at that. Maybe one day... would be nice to reindulge in my once proud DBZ fanboyism again.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh lord that trailer is so ghetto.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"a new excitement begins" you mean the same old fucking battles we've played over and over again. Fuck Fighting Frieza

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who never really cared for DBZ, no I feel nothing. The last DBZ fighting game I played was whatever the first game was that came out state side on the PS2 all those years ago. It was fine, but I got bored with it in a about a day or three.

But, hey man don't let me somehow drag your excitement down because, that's not mine nor anyone else's intent.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@wemibelec90 said:

I don't know if I'm just tired or what, but holy shit this made me laugh so fucking hard. I still love DBZ and everything, but goddamn that was funny

Whew, seriously though, I imagine that the type of people who still get really really excited about a new DBZ game spend most of their on anime forums since that's most likely where you'll find the largest number of like-minded individuals. Everyone else just doesn't care or have been burned by so many bad DBZ games that the only way they get can get even remotely excited is to wait for the reviews to drop.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Does it have kinect support and include fake saiyan hair with Qr codes? if not then no sale.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those games always look really good graphically but I've never enjoyed how they play. Too much sizzle, not enough steak. That, and by now the entire Dragonball saga must have been told dozens of time through different video games so there isn't really anything to be excited about when it comes to story.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The franchise is just too old. It will always have a special place in my heart for nostalgia reason, but seriously Dragon Ball Z is over 10 years old since it originally aired in the US. It also has been over represented in video games (64 games according to the wiki).

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fool me 10 times shame on me.

We'll see how it goes, not excited until I know it's good

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A better question would be where is the hype for Dragon Ball these days

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@babychoochoo said:

@wemibelec90 said:

I don't know if I'm just tired or what, but holy shit this made me laugh so fucking hard. I still love DBZ and everything, but goddamn that was funny

Whew, seriously though, I imagine that the type of people who still get really really excited about a new DBZ game spend most of their on anime forums since that's most likely where you'll find the largest number of like-minded individuals. Everyone else just doesn't care or have been burned by so many bad DBZ games that the only way they get can get even remotely excited is to wait for the reviews to drop.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone with this comment--I was just feeling a bit snarky when I read it. I was just as into DBZ as everyone else in the 90s, but the dozens of games with the exact same content over and over again kinda wore me out on the concept.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

My dream of another Budokai game will never come true. Last one we had of that style was Burst Limit.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DarthOrange

@jjor64 said:

My dream of another Budokai game will never come true. Last one we had of that style was Burst Limit.

Burst Limit was the last one made by Dimps. Then they moved on to Street Fighter 4. AND NOW THEY ARE BACK MAKING ANOTHER DRAGON BALL Z GAME. I mentioned it in the OP, the reason to be excited for this game is because it finally has a good team working on it.

@cmblasko said:

That, and by now the entire Dragonball saga must have been told dozens of time through different video games so there isn't really anything to be excited about when it comes to story.

They are apparently introducing a new character that makes the whole timeline turn funky so the story should be different.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Will it play like Tenkaichi which I liked, Budokai which I loved, or Battle of z which was hot garbage?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By colourful_hippie

Dimps being back is nice and all but I'll wait till it's released because of course I'll still have doubts over a DBZ game.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That title had me all hyped up for a DBZ vs Xenogears/saga/blade game. Someone owes me for this disappointment.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am of the opinion that bloom has no business being in an anime style game. Just makes everything look smudged up and oily.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MindBullet

Man... I mean, I loved me some Budokai/Tenkaichi games back in the day but... Do people actually still buy these games? Do people actually still care about DBZ in the year of our lord 2014? How the hell did this game get made and who was it made for?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Man... I mean, I loved me some Budokai/Tenkaichi games back in the day but... Do people actually still buy these games? Do people actually still care about DBZ in the year of our lord 2014? How the hell did this game get made and who was it made for?

Dragon Ball is still popular as a property. A movie came out just last year. The games though haven't been fantastic since those older games. The people that like DBZ aren't in their 80's and are dying off. Their in their 20's or 30's at this point. DBZ is still important to people out their so I'm not surprised they are still making games.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@darthorange: BUT THIS ISN'T BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDOOOOOOOOOOOOKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest issue is playing the same damn saga's OVER and OVER again

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If I wanted a dumb anime videogame where you fly around and punch stuff I would play/watch Asura's Wrath again.

Sherlock22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange: Oh man I thought they were implying that there would be a character creator. Something about this new guy just looks... uninspired? Other than that I haven't played a dbz game in ages so if they're throwing a twist into the way the timeline works along with a new old dev. I'm kinda psyched to play this.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DBZ games have never stopped being made, I'm more curious as to who the fuck keeps buying them including all the shit ones of late.

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is quite odd seeing so many DBZ games coming out. I thought they would have stopped releasing them a long time ago, but I guess not. Looks good though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I quit liking anything relating to dragonball about the time I graduated high-school. I still like anime I just think Dragonball is super dumb now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm down to see a new DBZ game, especially in the hands of the Budokai creators. Years ago, DBZ was one of the yearly games I bought, and that ended with... I don't remember the name, but the battles came down to nothing more than Rock-Paper-Scissors. Literally. The mechanic of the game was you picking one of three things and if the opponent picked the same, you got hit, and that was the main fighting mechanic. Ugh.

People can harp on DBZ all they want, but some of those games have some really neat fighting mechanics. The last entries in the series were just trash - and that's coming from someone who enjoyed the first two Tenkaichi games quite a bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to get super hyped for something I've bought 20 times before, lol.

In all seriousness, this game does look pretty good. I've played every Dragon Ball Z game imaginable so it's pretty hard for me to get really excited for this. I'll probably end up buying the game when it gets super cheap. Hopefully the character roster is good.

Also, next gen kamehameha waves y'all.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

You know they've explored the dbz universe so much I think it's time for them to go back to the original Dragonball universe again. There was that open world game that took place during son goku younger years that wasn't all that great. I'd think it would be pretty dope if they took the characters and storyline from that series and did something with it.

flyingace16021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did enjoy Burst Limit a lot, all things considered. Cautiously optimistic.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crithon

is this an EVO 2014 announcement?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@darthorange:

Will this be different then every other Dragonball game recently?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Last one I played and liked was Budokai 3. It was damn near perfect for a PS2 fighting game. Great balance of everything you wanted. Since, I feel like this "balance" has just been so skewed in one way or another. I'm excited that DIMPS is making it sure, but I just feel like none of the 3d fighting got me excited. Maybe I'm just someone who's never experienced a good 3d/behind-the-back fighting game.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DarthOrange

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange:

The last few have all been pretty different from each other. Terrible, but different none the less.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange:

The last few have all been pretty different from each other. Terrible, but different none the less.

lol

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

I agree. The Budokai style games were the best recent Dragonball Z games. They played just like a actual fighting game and not like the fly around tenkaichi games. Also, Dimps who is the developer of the Budokai series is making this so there is hope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.