Excited to buy DD Dark Arisen soon and I had some questions

#1 Edited by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

Hey! Really excited to pick this up. Probably going to pick it up in about 3-4 days, and I was wondering about some things:

1) What difficulty ( if there are difficulty options ) would you recommend playing this on? I generally pick "Hard" or "Very Hard" in most of my video games, as normal just bores me, but every game and thus every difficulty option is different. I have a fairly high tolerance to difficulty ( beat meat boy, xcom on hard ironman, roguelikes .. ) but I kind of don't like constant bullshit deaths ( CoD 4 pinpoint grenade spam anyone? ). So .. where does the game fall, and what would you recommend based on the information I provided ?

2) Can someone give a good, quick explanation of the pawn system? I played the demo of the original DD and it seemed like they are user-created AI companions that you can access but.. I was wondering how it gets balanced, if the creator gets any benefit and why there is threads of renting them out. I'd like to participate / help out if i can but it'd help if I understand the system first.

3) I tend to get somewhat OCD in my video games when it comes to loot, sidequests and anything missable and I was wondering if this is a game that is recommended to play with a FAQ or not. I'd say for example that Dark Souls, especially if you look to learn all the secrets and hidden things, is definitely a game you need a FAQ for as it explains itself very poorly.

4) Soda, Tea or Coffee ?

Edit: 5) Bonus question! Are you locked into a single class / career path or can you change it easilly throughout the game. What I mean is, is it feasible to make a warrior, then switch to be a archer for a bit to freshen up gameplay, and then be a stabby stabby rogue and finish the game as a wizard, or is it more Dark Souls / Skyrim like where you invest permanent skill points and would do terrible outside of your specialization?

#2 Posted by Sterling (2282 posts) -

1) There is no difficulty setting.

2) I'll pass on this one.

3) No real loot. Just crafting items enemies drop. But there are tons of missable side quests. And do not play your first time through with a FAQ. If you are someone who wants to see all endings of games, just play it and then look at one after the first run.

4) Water

5) No, you can change your class at any time. Each class has its own experience and skills that you have to level up though.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

Hey! Really excited to pick this up. Probably going to pick it up in about 3-4 days, and I was wondering about some things:

1) What difficulty ( if there are difficulty options ) would you recommend playing this on? I generally pick "Hard" or "Very Hard" in most of my video games, as normal just bores me, but every game and thus every difficulty option is different. I have a fairly high tolerance to difficulty ( beat meat boy, xcom on hard ironman, roguelikes .. ) but I kind of don't like constant bullshit deaths ( CoD 4 pinpoint grenade spam anyone? ). So .. where does the game fall, and what would you recommend based on the information I provided ?

2) Can someone give a good, quick explanation of the pawn system? I played the demo of the original DD and it seemed like they are user-created AI companions that you can access but.. I was wondering how it gets balanced, if the creator gets any benefit and why there is threads of renting them out. I'd like to participate / help out if i can but it'd help if I understand the system first.

3) I tend to get somewhat OCD in my video games when it comes to loot, sidequests and anything missable and I was wondering if this is a game that is recommended to play with a FAQ or not. I'd say for example that Dark Souls, especially if you look to learn all the secrets and hidden things, is definitely a game you need a FAQ for as it explains itself very poorly.

4) Soda, Tea or Coffee ?

Edit: 5) Bonus question! Are you locked into a single class / career path or can you change it easilly throughout the game. What I mean is, is it feasible to make a warrior, then switch to be a archer for a bit to freshen up gameplay, and then be a stabby stabby rogue and finish the game as a wizard, or is it more Dark Souls / Skyrim like where you invest permanent skill points and would do terrible outside of your specialization?

1. I would recommend normal actually. The game starts off pretty hard and it does get to a point where the dififculty can lull a bit but the new content on Bitter Black Isle I'm hearing tales of people even levels as high as 120 having issues with it being extremely hard. I don't think normal ever gets to the point where it gets boring. And I'm a guy who likes his melee combat games (i.e. Ninja Gaiden, DMC etc...)
  2. Your pawn is basically your side kick. You get to create them and choose what vocation they are (Fighter, Mage, Strider) and they will be part of your party permanently and help you in your journey. The cool part is that there is this thing called the Rift in the rift you will see other pawns from other people playing Dragon's Dogma it might be random people or it might be friends who are playing etc... You will fill out the final two slots in your party by hiring other people's pawns. Whats more other people can hire your pawn and when they return they will have all the knowledge and experience from those adventures and possibly bring back gifts.
  3. If you're worried about that follow this guide here : http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=372407 note that if you're going to go for 1000/1000 achivement points you have to play the game through twice anyways so any missed quests can be gotten the second time around.
  4. Depends on the mood I'm in but right now I'd go for a ice cold tea.
  5. You can change up your vocations for your pawns anytime after you reach level 10.
#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8235 posts) -

@bio2hazard:

1. I'd say play on Normal. The difficulty of the game is really fucked up and spikey so no matter what you set it to, the curve is going to swing widely as you progress through the game. On Hard, some of the swings can be really rough with you hitting an enemy 100+ times and barely whittling them down with them suddenly hitting you once and bam, instadead. That happens on Normal too, just not as often.
  2. You create a pawn that levels up alongside you. It has access to all non-hybrid classes and can level/swap between them like a player character. You can hire other people's pawns and other people can hire your pawn. After your pawn is hired, they will come back with knowledge of any monsters/quests the other player encountered while using them, as well as the occasional gift.
  3. There are tons of missable quests so follow a guide.
  4. Tea
  5. You can freely switch between classes at level 10 at the cost of discipline points which are also used to purchase active and passive skills. Skills are either class-specific, weapon specific, or in the case of slotted passive augments, freely interchangeable between classes. The only downside to swapping classes is that your stat growth is based on your current class. If you spend your first 30 levels as a Mage then suddenly switch to a Warrior, your going to find your attack and defense stats somewhat lacking. Of course with how the difficulty spikes, you may not even notice.
#5 Edited by LeSieg (13 posts) -

@bio2hazard:

1. Hard Mode in Dark Arisen makes enemies do more damage to you and increases your stamina consumption. (Stamina is what you use up when you use skills and fight in general.) My first playthrough was on Normal Mode and I found that difficult but manageable most of the way through. By the end of the game I was nigh unkillable and could easily take on anything, however. Playing through Hard Mode just raised the stakes as I was more likely to get 1 hit, but things still went down just the same. Normal is probably fine. Bitterblack Island (the area added with Dark Arisen) was too difficult for me and my character on Hard Mode, the bosses were unkillable and any attack 1 hit me, playing on Normal Mode now bosses still take forever to kill and are awesome but I don't randomly die as often.

2. You level up two characters as you play, your character and your main pawn. Your main pawn takes on the likeness and class you choose. As well, you are responsible for equipping your pawn and placing their skill points. In your party are your character, your main pawn, and two other pawns that you can choose from online. The two other pawns you choose do not level up with you and you can not change their equipment or their skills or how they look. These other pawns are someone else's main pawns and are automatically fed into the online marketplace where you can search for them and automatically populate your world. Party composition is very important in Dragon's Dogma so each party member and their skills and gear counts.

3. My first time through the game I missed an entire semi-important quest line with no knowledge that it existed. My only clue to it's existence was a character (from this quest line) being featured in the credits at the end of the game that I had never heard of before. Use a guide if you want to get everything first time through. But you don't miss anything too too major with those sidequests I don't think, I especially think this in terms of loot.

4. Potent Greenwarish, those drinks will do aught of use.

5. Classes are freely changable, just go with what you feel like I flopped around all over the place and never really found a problem. In fact changing classes is nearly encouraged as you can use Augments (passive abilities) from any class. So if you want a specific augment you'll have to level up the class to which it belongs to the point where it is unlocked. Except stat build up is affected by which class you choose as you level up. But again, I flopped all around and am fine playing through Dark Arisen, it won't hinder you too much in the long run. The biggest problem of switching classes would be switching gear. Gear is class restricted so if you move from say Warrior to Mage you likely won't have available to your use the same level of Mage gear and as such would be weaker. However, late enough into the game money is not an object so this is not a big deal breaker either, do what you want.

#6 Edited by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

Awesome!!

Thank you very much, all of you, for your responses. I just finished downloading the game over PSN and I'm excited to start playing tomorrow.

I will be playing on normal, I will probably start as a rogue ( stryder ? strudel ? something like that ) and look into being a archer, until i undoubtedly get tired of that and just want to smash faces in. After which I will prolly use magic and -- yeah, I have some problems. I will probably make my pawn into a tank.

Once I get started I'll make sure to participate in the pawn share thread!

Edit: I'm not sure if it really matters, but I flagged LeSieg as the best answer. I appreciated all of the answer lots, but his seems to be the most detailed.

As for 4) Love me some earl grey tea!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.