Get this or Dragon's Dogma first?

#1 Edited by Kato (156 posts) -

Thanks almost entirely to Patrick, I recently got into Monster Hunter and am really wanting to move into Dragon's Dogma next. Should I wait for this to come out, or get the first game, play for a while, then get this down the road and import my character? Unlimited Ferrystones sounds pretty good...

edit: looks like Dragon's Dogma is only $19.99. Sounding pretty good right now...

#2 Edited by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

Oddly enough, this version of the game is cheaper in Amazon UK than the regular one, so I'm going to get Dark Arisen. Even if it wasn't the case, I guess you should probably wait and get DA. Why would you buy the same game twice, if one is clearly the best version?

#3 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Dark Arisen is literally the same game, but with new things as well. If money's not an issue wait for it.

#4 Posted by Nonused (215 posts) -

Yeah, just go with the original. However, I think you should know, this game ain't Monster Hunter. If you're going into this thinking it is (or hoping it is), I'm not sure you're gonna like it as much. It's more like an...Oblivion with simplified DMC combat and SotC style grope fights. Not saying that's bad (kinda awesome, actually), just two fairly different games.

#5 Posted by A_E_Martin (217 posts) -

Dark Arisen is only a few weeks away, and since it's essentially an improved version of Dragon's Dogma with added content, why would you want to get an inferior version of the game right now?

#6 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@kato:

Dark Arisen contains the full Dragon's Dogma game, as well as the Dark Arisen expansion content. Kinda like What Super Street Fighter 4 was to Street Figher 4. Capcom - y'a know.

It's an awesome value. I'll likely pick it up too, sometime in June.

#7 Posted by Nonused (215 posts) -

Wait a minute, I thought this was a stand-alone expansion. I feel duped. With a difference of $20, I think it would be smarter just getting this...update? I don't like the idea of unlimited ferrystones, though. Is that one of the revisions?

#8 Posted by Slag (4400 posts) -

@kato

definitely get Dark Arisen. It has the whole original Dragon's Dogma game in it.

What Dark Arisen adds is a new explorable area/missions + gameplay tweaks (major changes to rift crystals) basically from what I can tell.

#9 Posted by Kato (156 posts) -

Check the wiki though guys. If you carry a character from the original game into Dark Arisen, THEN you get unlimited Ferrystones. That's basically the entire source of my conundrum.

#10 Posted by Brenderous (1101 posts) -

Is this coming to PC?

#11 Edited by Slag (4400 posts) -

@kato: oh well, I don't think that's worth it personally.

Ferrystones aren't true fast travel they are basically one way town portals. It isn't until post game-ish that you get the portecrystals half of the equation.

ferrystones fwiw aren't too hard to get in game (unless they change that) once you get 10 hours in or so. I never really had very many at any one time, but didn't feel like I was constantly running out either.

is that worth basically paying an extra twenty dollars for (20 for the old game, 40 for Da expansion)? For me it isn't. But I guess that's up to you.

@brenderous: there's been no mention of any PC port plans from Capcom last I checked,

but I suspect it's unlikely due to the game's reliance on the Japanese market and piracy concerns.

#12 Edited by Brenderous (1101 posts) -

@slag: Dang. Looks like I'll have to dust off the ol' consoles.

#13 Posted by Slag (4400 posts) -

@kato: just saw a GDC write up that their will be more portecrystals around the map in DA, which if true would make those ferrystones more useful.

#14 Edited by StarvingGamer (8246 posts) -

@nonused: Unlimited Ferrystones, a ton of Rift Crystals, and the Gransys Armour Pack are all bonuses in Dark Arisen for players carrying a save over from Dragon's Dogma. It's Capcom's way of saying "thank you" for buying both games.

#15 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@nonused: Unlimited Ferrystones, a ton of Rift Crystals, and the Gransys Armour Pack are all bonuses in Dark Arisen for players carrying a save over from Dragon's Dogma. It's Capcom's way of saying "thank you" for buying both games.

or renting the first one hehehehe

#16 Edited by StarvingGamer (8246 posts) -
#17 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

Going to be getting this next month to scratch my pseudo MH itch. It's been awhile since I've played a game of this sort, can't wait!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.