I can't get over how amazing this game is...

• 64 results
#1 Posted by Drekly (160 posts) -

So I recently got a PS3 and I've been downloading all the PS+ content and came across Dragon's Dogma...and holy shit, I wish I found out about this game sooner.

It feels like Dark Souls, in terms of graphical flair and brutal difficulty and Skyrim in terms of the vast world full of hidden places to investigate and caves to explore.

The amount of shit you can do, the quests, crafting, enchanting, it's all so immersive and I can't say I've enjoyed a game as much as this in a long time.

What do y'all think of it? And can you give a beginner some tips? This game is balls hard.

#2 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

You're playing Dark Arisen? You missed this:

Yeah, the game is pretty fantastic. Been awhile since I've played it so I can't remember too many tips for the beginning other than to make sure you bring a mage pawn with some weapon enchantments. I believe fire and holy are really good.

#3 Posted by Krullban (1037 posts) -

I have it, but I lost all will to play it anymore suddenly for a while, then Dark Arisen came out and I probably won't play it again. I want to though.

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11753 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma is pretty amazing. All you need to know is that you should try to get your main pawn to speak as little as possible, because after hearing "Tis weak to fire!" for the billionth time it gets a little old.

#5 Posted by Wampa1 (673 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I respectfully disagree. Give me all the repeating dialogue in goofy old english!

#6 Posted by automatontribe (198 posts) -

I bought Dark Arisen a few months ago and after playing it for a couple I hours I regard it as a complete joke-game. It's trash. Probably the worst game I've played in a long long time. Usually my opinions aren't all that different from most people but this game....I literally can't understand that people love, let alone like this game. Uuuugh.

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11753 posts) -

@wampa1: There may be aught of use here.

#8 Edited by Drekly (160 posts) -

@automatontribe:

That's really interesting! What kind of RPG's do you like?

#9 Posted by sub_o (899 posts) -

Yeah, the game is pretty fantastic. Been awhile since I've played it so I can't remember too many tips for the beginning other than to make sure you bring a mage pawn with some weapon enchantments. I believe fire and holy are really good.

B'z is pretty amazing.

#10 Posted by Getz (3018 posts) -

make sure you get the golden idol. You have to do a certain quest the exact right way to get it, and by giving it to a shopkeeper you get access to some of the best gear in the game at an early stage.

#11 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I couldn't get into this. I could see the potential, but I wasn't feeling it at the time.

#12 Edited by TobbRobb (4653 posts) -

I can't say I see the Dark Souls comparison other than "dark fantasy lol".

But yeah, Dragon's Dogma is fucking awesome. I had a lot of fun with that this year, and it lent itself pretty well to repeat playthroughs, so I'll definitely come back later. Have fun duder!

#13 Edited by automatontribe (198 posts) -

@drekly: All kinds, old infinity engine games, final fantasy, the witcher, the elder scrolls(not a massive fan of Skyrim but it's all right), and I very much enjoy demon's and dark souls. To me I guess, the most important thing is an interesting world and Dragon's Dogma really failed in that regard, I thought the first seaside port town was pretty fun to explore(climbing around on rooves and climbing ladders was fun) but everything else(characters, writing, voice acting) I was very dissapointed by. And I should also mention that I'm a complete save junky, and the games save system made me want to eject the disc and break it in half.

Sorry to rain on your parade a little bit,(since you enjoy the game) but I'm in that kind of a mood I guess.

#14 Posted by Humanity (9283 posts) -

@drekly: It IS amazing. Welcome to one of the best RPG's of this generation, take it slow, read a lot of the Wiki and enjoy. Also prepare to have your mind blown by the end of the game.

As for tips, you can't REALLY completely mess up a build, but experiment early on as each class gains different stat boosts. If you choose the warrior vocation and play that for 30 levels, it will take a while to even out your magic stats which in turn will make you a weaker mage/sorceror/magick archer. Also it's generally a good idea to make your pawn a mage with healing spells - they do really well in that role as opposed to let's say a Warrior which looks really cool with the big sword but doesn't really work that great in combat. Playing a mage yourself is also perfectly doable, but casting spells takes a while and jumping on enemies and slashing them mercilessly is definitely more exciting.

My personal suggestion: level up your magic skill for a few levels and become a magick archer. They have the benefit of the strider skill tree and agile moveset, lock-on magical arrows with ice,lightning and fire elemental damage, as well as pretty cool gear. It was my favorite class out of bunch and I heard in Dark Arisen the magick archer got some major buffs. I've beaten the game twice and I haven't even played a fighter or a magic knight, it's crazy.

#15 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

One of my favorite games this generation. I also got late to the party, and what a revelation it was.

#16 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

I can't say I see the Dark Souls comparison other than "dark fantasy lol".

You must have skipped Dark Arisen and Bitterblack Island then, which is clearly heavily influenced by the success of Dark Souls.

#17 Posted by Humanity (9283 posts) -

@seppli: not everything that is "dark fantasy" is automatically influenced by Dark Souls. I think the similarities lie in the complex nature of the game, an interesting online component and heavy animation priority.

#18 Edited by TobbRobb (4653 posts) -

@seppli: Because it's harder than the normal game? You might as well say it's similar to Ninja Gaiden or Super Meat Boy at that point. And no, I didn't skip it. Though honestly, bitterblack isle felt like a step down on the funscale to the normal game, but it was nice to have some more endgame content.

#19 Edited by SunBroZak (1118 posts) -

I don't know about Dragon's Dogma. On the one hand, I find the story lame and the characters uninteresting. On the other, that combat. It's a game that I have a love/hate relationship with, but perhaps when I get around to finishing it, I'll look more fondly on it.

#20 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@tobbrobb: @humanity:

How is Bitterblack Island not influenced by Dark Souls? A dark dank byzantine dungeon crawl where death literally lurks around every corner. Ever beat Bitterblack? And ran the hardmode of it? Beat it? It's the same kind of fucked up difficulty, the exact same type of challenge, just with much better executed and more diverse core combat mechanics. It's no fucking joke.

Like when you are in a flippin' sewer and everytime you dodge roll the lantern goes out, and then you're clinging to a 12-foot ogre elder's face in the pitchblack darkness, the only thing you see are its iriscent eyes, and you manage to jump him, cling to his face for your life, and cave his fucking skull in - all alone, because all your pawns got wiped out by Death himself, and yet you push forward, to the next summonstone or arisen hideout (which acts kinda like a bonfire in Bitterblack, if you think about it). Or you enter a room with 2 gigantic dragons spamming high magicks, and then you kill 'em, and then an undead dragon spawns right after, or a pack of firespitting worgs.

I don't get how we're even arguing the fact.

P.S. I love Bitterblack because it's much denser than the core game. More enemies, more danger, more secrets, more big monsters, more challenge, more loot, more of everything - right there. I love me a good dungeon crawl. I guess it's not for everyone. Don't blame you.

#21 Edited by tourgen (4505 posts) -

yep, pretty awesome game. The pawn system is interesting and the game is just a fun RPG with lots of stuff to do.

#22 Edited by TobbRobb (4653 posts) -

@seppli: I'm not sure what your experience with Dark Souls has been, but I I'll just say that we don't view that game the same way and leave it like that.

However I will agree that bitterblack is a pretty great addition to the game, and probably exactly what I wanted from it. The major reason it felt lackluser is because I was just a little bit burned out on it, and the difficulty was slightly more frustrating rather than challenging. Still had a real good time though. I'll be back for more in a month or two.

#23 Edited by OmniscientCajun (124 posts) -

Man, reading this thread makes me feel all left out. I played probably about 10 hours of Dark Arisen, maybe 15, and put it down. I thought the pawn system was compelling and the combat was initially engaging. But I found the story - and more importantly, the world as a whole - utterly uninteresting.

Even the combat, as refreshing as it was initially, got fairly tiresome with respawning enemies along narrow paths between land marks with no early game fast travel and side quests that ask you to hoof back and forth between the first 4 early game locales. When enemies along the main questline (Ogre in Everfall) have health bars that I couldn't perceive any change to on each hit, I felt like I was playing the game wrong and that those enemies were not meant to be fought. It got to the point where I considered bringing in that seemingly-available pawn in the rift that kept showing up who was like 100 levels higher than I was.

I played both the 10+ hours of this and my first run of Dark Souls this year and they couldn't have been two more different experiences. Dark Arisen felt like a slog that I was just trying to get through to play the next game on my list. I felt compelled to play Dark Souls, to see more of its world, to conquer more of its enemies, to die and defeat and retrieve and rest and overcome. I realize they are different games, but they are often compared (and have been here).

There are a few games that come to mind over the past few years that many others have really loved, but the game world (and knowing I needed to invest myself in the characters, their journeys, and that universe) left me wanting. Deus Ex: Human Revolution stands out as one of those games. Oblivion too (despite loving Skyrim).

#24 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@omniscientcajun:

Well - to get started in Bitterblack you'll need to reach roughly lvl 50. I ended up capping out at lvl 200, just because Bitterblack lends itself to be played like Diablo - and that I did. Bossruns et all.

P.S. I had the same experience with that Ogre. Then he fell off the gangway to his death.

#25 Posted by Humanity (9283 posts) -

@seppli: I played and beat both Demons Souls and Dark Souls. As @tobbrobb mentioned, perhaps you simply see that game in a different light as not a lot about Bitterblack seems reminiscent of those games to me. The gamestyle is so greatly different that it's really hard for me to even compare the extremely slow paced, methodical Demons Souls approach to the more dynamic Dragons Dogma style of combat. Different strokes for different folks though.

#26 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@humanity said:

@seppli: I played and beat both Demons Souls and Dark Souls. As @tobbrobb mentioned, perhaps you simply see that game in a different light as not a lot about Bitterblack seems reminiscent of those games to me. The gamestyle is so greatly different that it's really hard for me to even compare the extremely slow paced, methodical Demons Souls approach to the more dynamic Dragons Dogma style of combat. Different strokes for different folks though.

You get hung up on the minutia of the mechanics.

I'd say Bitterblack Island is Dark Souls with much better core gameplay mechanics. And many of the challenges in Bitterblack are waaay waaay harder than Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. The final Boss in Bitterblack (his true form you only fight in a second go-around) took me like 2 hours to take down. There's lots of fights with enemies with near endless healthbars. To get it done, you need to figure out exactly what to do, and how to do it - just like in the Souls series.

And believe me, the deepest levels of Bitterblack once it's in hardmode? It makes Dark Souls look like a piece of cake. You know that eerie empty village before the final boss? In hardmode there's like 2 dragons spamming magicks across the map, there's like 10 Living Armors or those dudes with the Hammers and the one-hit kill move - or a mix there-of. And when you beat them, there's likely going to be an undead Dragon Spawn. Of course you can run past, with a little luck - but that's not really overcoming the challenge, is it.

Just wondering, are you aware that Bitterblack Island's entire spawnpatterns change after you defeat the final boss there, and that the final boss has an awakend form, and outside of some highly specific ranger builds using a bunch of explosive arrows and consumable buffs, the fight against the awakened boss takes about 30 minutes to beat with lvl 200 character. Much longer if you're figuring him out on the go. My first win was a 2+ hours bossfight marathon of unprecedented quality.

I'm not quite buying your non-chalance in regards to Bitterblack's challenge, at least not if you've spent any kind of meaningful time with the content.

#27 Edited by fisk0 (4129 posts) -

@sub_o said:

@superwristbands said:

B'z is pretty amazing.

Yeah, that song is something I really miss in Dark Arisen, the first time I heard it in vanilla Dragon's Dogma it sounded fucking ridiculous, totally anachronistic and out of place, but then it started growing on me.

Back on topic - Yes, Dragon's Dogma was probably my favorite game of 2012.

#28 Edited by Humanity (9283 posts) -

@seppli: I don't want to argue this because I simply don't care that much - but notice how you tell me I get hung up on minutia while your constant driving comparison for these two games is that Bitterblack is, like really hard, when you crank up the difficulty. Sure it's hard, but that is not point and I'd say you're missing the forest for the trees here but like I said, I don't really feel like arguing it. I'm glad you found Bitterblack to be such an enthralling challenge, obviously you really got into it and thats awesome. Personally I'm eagerly anticipating Dragons Dogma 2 on next gen consoles.

#29 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I'm just going to leave that here. Minor spoilers I guess.

#30 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@humanity said:

@seppli: I don't want to argue this because I simply don't care that much - but notice how you tell me I get hung up on minutia while your constant driving comparison for these two games is that Bitterblack is, like really hard, when you crank up the difficulty. Sure it's hard, but that is not point and I'd say you're missing the forest for the trees here but like I said, I don't really feel like arguing it. I'm glad you found Bitterblack to be such an enthralling challenge, obviously you really got into it and thats awesome. Personally I'm eagerly anticipating Dragons Dogma 2 on next gen consoles.

It's the experience the counts, from a *feeling* perspective, it's the exact kind of challenge and dread that the player has to overcome with his skill and virtues and wits. Yes - core combat is different, and there's much more to Dragon's Dogma's combat mechanics, but in the end, Bitterblack feels just the same to me.

It's what they set out to do with Bitterblack really, as far as I can tell. I think I've even read an interview to that effect.

#31 Posted by DudeSupreme (212 posts) -

The game is a real slow start. After getting stuck early on (those damn high level bandits near Witchwood!) I nearly put off the game for good. When I came back to it a few days later and tried some of the other classes I fell in love with the game and played it more than almost any other Xbox 360 game in my collection.

My own personal ProTip would be to start the game as a Warrior and keep your main Pawn as a healing Sorcerer. I know it sounds like the usual lame RPG plan, but I could not get to like the spellcasting system, so best left to the AI. When you get high enough leveled near the end-game though, thats when the Archer and Assassin classes shine. It makes fighting flying enemies (notably those pesky dragons!) much easier to deal with.

#32 Edited by Slag (4418 posts) -

@drekly said:

So I recently got a PS3 and I've been downloading all the PS+ content and came across Dragon's Dogma...and holy shit, I wish I found out about this game sooner.

It feels like Dark Souls, in terms of graphical flair and brutal difficulty and Skyrim in terms of the vast world full of hidden places to investigate and caves to explore.

The amount of shit you can do, the quests, crafting, enchanting, it's all so immersive and I can't say I've enjoyed a game as much as this in a long time.

What do y'all think of it? And can you give a beginner some tips? This game is balls hard.

Gald you like the game! I think it's rad.

some tips

• roll with strider classes early for your Arisen,nice mix of play styles (range and melee) and easier to execute well early
  • don't go out at night until you lvled up a bit
  • bring casters for support pawns,
  • if you want your pawn to be popular make sure she is a lady and isn't talkative (people think the pawns talk too much)
  • NPCs do respawn after awhile if you accidentally off one you want to keep around
  • there are missable quests in this game, consult wikia if you want to know what they are and what story points trigger them
  • do lots of sidequests early in the game and you'll soon power level past difficulty in the non-bitterblack isle parts of the game
  • also later in the game you will discover the affinity system which affects how NPCs feel about you. To raise affinity give them gifts they like, to lower safely sheathe/unsheathe your weapons in close proximity repeatedly.
#33 Posted by Dark (381 posts) -

My god the end of the game, Dat Wakestone Grinding UUURRRRGGGHHHHHHH

#34 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

Other than not having the bitchin title song, is Dark Arisen superior to the original in every way? I haven't played DD at all and was wondering what version to get. I mean, clearly Dark Arisen has more content, but they didn't do anything that made it worse right?

#35 Posted by Humanity (9283 posts) -

@minipato: they included a lot of bug fixes and if you have an original save file they give you a ton of ferrystones, which coupled with the increased number of those purple marker stones make travel a lot smoother. So yah it's a superior version in every way.

#36 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

@humanity said:

@minipato: they included a lot of bug fixes and if you have an original save file they give you a ton of ferrystones, which coupled with the increased number of those purple marker stones make travel a lot smoother. So yah it's a superior version in every way.

Okay cool. I wasn't feeling the demo for the original and I'm glad I waited on it. For some reason it the combat didn't click with me, but I chalked it up to being a short demo. Seems like the kind of game where you need to play a while to really get it to click, like Monster Hunter or Demon's/Dark Souls, both which I'm huge fans of.

#37 Posted by DudeSupreme (212 posts) -

Did this game make any sort of profit for Capcom? I would love another similar game on the new consoles.

#38 Edited by Drekly (160 posts) -

@superwristbands:

WAIT, WHY IS THAT NOT IN THE NEW VERSION? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#39 Posted by HermanBloom (94 posts) -

Played the original for about eight hours but found the world very dull. Which is kinda a game-breaker for me when it comes to RPG's. Might give this a whirl at some point in the future as it's on PS+.

#40 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I can see why people like the game, but its early reliance on running back and forth between the same 3 locations really put me off. If they had never put in that easier difficulty I would have never even tried to finish it. It certainly picks up in the second half, but the early parts, and the poor AI for the companions (I could go through entire boss fights where they wouldn't buff my weapons, yet the first sign of a goblin the'll do it) really put me off. It's a great starting point and I would hope that a sequel irons out some of the poorer elements

#41 Edited by ConfusedOwl (943 posts) -

I really enjoyed my 40 or so hours with it but I'm not sure if I'll ever feel the need to go back to it at this point. The combat was really fun and it's one of the few games where I really adore the armour and weapon design but the world and story weren't all that interesting. I don't need a big world but at least fill it with interesting locations. The game could have been so much better if I actually enjoyed discovering new areas.

#42 Edited by Veektarius (4843 posts) -

I liked Dragon's Dogma a lot, while being very cognizant of its flaws. I think the thing that kept me going was its really interesting combat scenarios. When I got to Bitterblack Isle, though, I didn't last very long at all. I completely agree with @seppli that it's reminiscent of Dark Souls in that it embodied exactly the sorts of reasons I've never bothered trying a Dark Souls game. I was constantly lost, getting hit by enemies I couldn't see in the darkness, and then ultimately got one-shotted by a giant ogre with no idea where I was. I didn't even try fighting that dude twice, I just stopped right there.

More tactical control of my pawns would have been nice, and a bit more development on the side characters. There were a lot of interesting ideas hinted at by the story, but it never bothered fleshing them out. Was the duchess actually the manipulative bitch she seemed like? What was with that dude who hired me to attack that cult? Was the chick from the beginning actually my cousin? Whatever happened to that French dude who was trying to overthrow the kingdom? There was a lot going on there, they just didn't spend enough time hashing out how it all went together.

#43 Posted by Humanity (9283 posts) -

@mildmolasses: I think this is a sign of how modern games train us to be very securely held by the hand and told exactly where to go and what to do and it tends to kill peoples sense of exploration. First thing I did when the game let me go where I wanted is to go out and explore. Since the game doesn't use the abominable invention of auto-scaling enemies you get a real thrill of going into unknown areas since the game isn't going to neatly tailor enemies to your level. I met a black knight and griffon in a forest when I was roughly 10-15 levels too early to fight him, but I tried anyway. It took me literally 40 minutes and several deaths before my party finally took that beast down - it was exhilarating. This was the same griffon that about 15 levels later my personal pawn would almost entirely obliterate with one spell. That gives you a real sense of excitement as you travel the world and see the dangers that lurk within.

#44 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1497 posts) -

Not sure you know this but wolves hunt in packs.

#45 Posted by Superfriend (1557 posts) -

Hey, since you have the PS+/Download version of the game: Does it kind of run like crap most of the time?

I´m curious, since I have the disc version and that constant streaming in of content from the BD causes a lot of problems, it seems. Other than the shit performance, I liked the game quite a bit.. but I couldn´t bring myself to finish it (the main game) aaand it kinda doesn´t have that much going on in terms of towns/npcs/quests to keep me going.

#46 Posted by Gruff182 (857 posts) -

Don't think those games came out on PC, otherwise I probably would have tried them.

#47 Posted by Drekly (160 posts) -

@superfriend:

Not in the slightest, I haven't noticed a single bit of slowdown and loads are quick!

#48 Posted by Superfriend (1557 posts) -

@drekly said:

@superfriend:

Not in the slightest, I haven't noticed a single bit of slowdown and loads are quick!

Huh, wow! Maybe I should download the PS+ version then. The game still needs to be finished!

#49 Edited by Karkarov (3109 posts) -

@veektarius said:

More tactical control of my pawns would have been nice, and a bit more development on the side characters. There were a lot of interesting ideas hinted at by the story, but it never bothered fleshing them out. Was the duchess actually the manipulative bitch she seemed like? What was with that dude who hired me to attack that cult? Was the chick from the beginning actually my cousin? Whatever happened to that French dude who was trying to overthrow the kingdom? There was a lot going on there, they just didn't spend enough time hashing out how it all went together.

1: No she is just really spoiled and didn't want to risk her life in the one optional mission. She is actually the default love interest believe it or not.

2: Mason was a secret agent working for the church there to undermine the cult worshiping the dragon, no I am not making this up. Again secret side missions....

3: No. Everyone is Cassardis calls each other "Cos", local thing I guess. It happens all the time in fact, not sure how you didn't notice other people did it to you too. As an aside she eventually leaves the country to join the church and become a full on priestess, the secret agent guy even gives her an official intro. Assuming she isn't your love interest and the dragon kidnaps her anyway. Hopefully she stops calling you "Cos" if that happens....

4: You are kidding? You actually have to deal with him as a main story mission... He eventually ends up in a "duel" with Mercedes and you either intervene and he gets captured and arrested and spends the rest of the game in jail (unless he is your love interest... yes it can happen), or you do nothing and he wins the duel and returns to his homeland his plot to undermine Gransys and prevent them from killing the dragon being foiled either way.

5: I can tell. Most of the plot is hidden in side missions, NPC conversations that are seemingly random or unimportant, or various very low key moments of innuendo. There is even one quest at one point which looks like a simple fed ex quest that can actually end like 4 different ways based on whether or not you actually just follow instructions, take too long doing the delivery, deliver the wrong thing, etc etc etc.

The game was way deeper than people gave it credit for. You just had to REALLY REALLY pay attention to every quest and be willing to talk to NPC's that seemed unimportant more than once throughout the game. Don't click that spoiler block if you really don't want spoilers....

PS: I feel sorry for people who never played this game to the end. Screw Bitterblack, the final battle with the dragon is easily the best boss fight I have played in an RPG in... ... ... maybe ever. It is just freaking awesome. The crazy crap that can happen at the end end is pretty wacky too.

#50 Posted by Veektarius (4843 posts) -

Of course I saw this part of the story, but since I didn't kill him, the fact he never factored into the story again seemed weird.

@karkarov said:

@veektarius said:

4: You are kidding? You actually have to deal with him as a main story mission... He eventually ends up in a "duel" with Mercedes and you either intervene and he gets captured and arrested and spends the rest of the game in jail (unless he is your love interest... yes it can happen), or you do nothing and he wins the duel and returns to his homeland his plot to undermine Gransys and prevent them from killing the dragon being foiled either way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.