I'm ridiculously excited for this.

• 68 results
#1 Edited by Demoskinos (14579 posts) -

So, its really weird that I'm this excited for a game I already played last year but damn I'm so ready to stab some more griffins and dragons to death. The "Death" enemy as shown off in the latest trailer sounds really cool. And 100 new armor and weapon items sound great as well. So anyone else jumping back into the world of Gransys next week? I'm starting a brand new game myself. I figure this could potentially get me through the summer drought seeing as I already played through the vanilla version three times over the span of 200+ hours.

#2 Posted by AlexW00d (6189 posts) -

A rerelease of this game not even a year after it came out? Just to add what seems to amount to some DLC? Seems fishy to me.

#3 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Never played the original. I don't know quite how that happened, but I can't wait for the re-release!

#4 Edited by Noitwont (42 posts) -

I'm on board. More of this game is great in my book!

#5 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I am hoping they will let me restart my new game plus run.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14579 posts) -
@alexw00d said:

A rerelease of this game not even a year after it came out? Just to add what seems to amount to some DLC? Seems fishy to me.

Some DLC? All of the previous paid DLC from the vanilla version is included along with a new area that if the developers are to be believed is half the size of the map from the first game. That isn't even including all of the weapons, quests, enemies, skills, abilities etc that have been added. All for $40 that is a lot of game for $40.

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

Some DLC? All of the previous paid DLC from the vanilla version is included along with a new area that if the developers are to be believed is half the size of the map from the first game. That isn't even including all of the weapons, quests, enemies, skills, abilities etc that have been added. All for $40 that is a lot of game for $40.

And tweeks to menus and fast traveling.

#8 Posted by Egg0 (169 posts) -

Sooo last week I almost bought the PS3 version of vanilla for $20 at Gamestop. I read up on it and there's a framerate issue with the PS3 version, so I ended up not buying it. Also read that there is screen tearing on the 360 version. Anyone know if they've addressed these issues for Dark Arisen? I really do want to buy this.

#9 Posted by Aegon (5413 posts) -

How would you compare the difficulty of this game with that of Dark Souls? How fun is this game? Is the story interesting at all? Patrick made it sound like a grind fest with a poor excuse of a story.

#10 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@egg0 said:

Sooo last week I almost bought the PS3 version of vanilla for $20 at Gamestop. I read up on it and there's a framerate issue with the PS3 version, so I ended up not buying it. Also read that there is screen tearing on the 360 version. Anyone know if they've addressed these issues for Dark Arisen? I really do want to buy this.

I never had screen tearing.

#11 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

@demoskinos said:
@alexw00d said:

And tweeks to menus and fast traveling.

I'm really looking forward to the fast travelling bit. It was quite an issue for me in the original Dragon's Dogma. Sometimes I find myself falling asleep while traveling from one map area to another.

#12 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11488 posts) -

@aegon said:

How would you compare the difficulty of this game with that of Dark Souls? How fun is this game? Is the story interesting at all? Patrick made it sound like a grind fest with a poor excuse of a story.

It's not Dark Souls, though it is decently tough on hard, especially in regards to some of the tougher post-game bosses. I personally like it a bit more than it deserves and think that the game is at its best when you're fighting giant monsters, though it also throws you in a giant world with not a whole lot in it and you kind of have to run everywhere (though apparently they're fixing that in Dark Arisen). The story is really generic and sort of bad until the end when it gets CRAZY. I wouldn't call it super grindy, though the way it spawns enemies can sometimes be a pain when combined with that lack of fast travel.

Point is, I like Dragon's Dogma, but I would totally understand why someone else wouldn't. It's a weird, weird game, and the inane, repetitive chatter of your pawns is probably a legitimate turn-off for some people. I'm personally pretty excited about Dark Arisen, though me purchasing it is dependent on if I can get a Xbox in my apartment for this summer or not.

#13 Posted by Aquablak (187 posts) -

@the_laughing_man:

@egg0 said:

I never had screen tearing.

I didn't have screen-tearing, either. I didn't feel like there were any major glitches that hampered the experience. Great game, and anyone who hasn't played it should give it a try.

#14 Edited by Aegon (5413 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: And yet again, I'm still on the fence about whether to purchase this game.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14579 posts) -

@aegon: Its more of something like a Skyrim in terms of its structure and I use that comparison sort of loosely as there isn't really as much aimless exploration as Skyrim. A fairly large open world map and for the most part you can take quests at your leisure with tons of stuff to do even post game. The combat is almost akin to something more along the lines of a watered down Devil May Cry honestly at least for melee classes. Plenty of neat hybrid classes you can take up too like a Mystic Knight or a Magik Archer.

There is no point that I really recall that it gets grindy unless you want to go out of your way to do every single mission. The story itself is pretty vague and nonsensical until the end... in the last act of the game though there's some stuff that gets revealed that is honestly sort of mind blowing. Hence all the talk when the game came out about the bananas ending. There is a demo on PSN/XBL of the original game if you wanna get a feel for the combat.

#16 Posted by MEATBALL (3078 posts) -

I'm going to pick it up, I never played the original game beyond the demo. I'm quite interested to give the game a go proper, I've heard great things about the game over the last year and it's being sold at a perfectly reasonable price ($38 where most new releases cost anywhere between 75-100 locally).

#17 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11488 posts) -

@aegon said:

@arbitrarywater: And yet again, I'm still on the fence about whether to purchase this game.

To be fair, it's $40 and not much else is coming out for a while. Not sure if those kinds of things factor into your decisions or not, but if nothing else Dragon's Dogma is an unique game.

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8028 posts) -

I'm so excited for it that I bought the original game today for $18 because I feel bad for missing it the first time out.

#19 Posted by Karkarov (3000 posts) -

@aegon said:

Uh you need to listen closer to Patrick's review. He scores it crap but admits in the quick look that "I can't put the game down and I feel compelled to continue". His later coverage of "after thoughts" and discussing Dark Arisen he talks like he gave the game a 4 or a 4.5. So you can take his review for what it is. Truth is that you can say whatever you want about the rest of it but the last 3 hours of Dragon's Dogma was the best 3 hours of video game to be had in 2012. In fact I will outright say the penultimate encounter with the Dragon you meet 5 minutes in is the best boss fight of the last decade. Also the game is not grindy, yes, you retread a lot of ground. But you are doing it in a game that lets you change your class and total playstyle pretty much whenever you want, will sometimes throw random insanity at you such as a generic trip you have done 10 times only to get ambushed by a griffon, not to mention has some of the best combat from any action RPG. No it isn't as "refined" as Dark Souls, but the gameplay is much more varied, faster, and easier to get into. Also did I mention the boss fights, in general, are more fun?

The game even has a boss rush mode, optional hard mode which is hard until you are fairly high level, tons of weird dlc stuff, it's own original take on multiplayer/co-op, and plenty of quirky personality.

Point is at 40 dollars there is only two questions. "Do I like Action-RPG's?" and "Do I have 40 dollars I can afford to spend?". If you answer both yes it would be criminally stupid to not buy Dark Arisen.

#20 Posted by Aegon (5413 posts) -

@demoskinos: @arbitrarywater: @karkarov: Thanks for the input duders. I've always thought this game looked cool, but the negativity surrounding the story/ lack thereof and other parts of the game, kept me away from it, but I think I'm leaning closer towards getting it now.

#21 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@strikealight: The original's a lot cheaper now plus there's a free hard-mode DLC that makes it vaguely challenging! No clue how good the DLC will be but it'll probably be okay.

@aegon: Not sure who told you but the story in this game is actually superb and very artfully told but it is mostly backloaded, they do a hell of a lot of animations with your character though, sort of takes what Demon's Souls/Dark Souls do in a few scenes and expands it over ~20-30 minutes of ingame cutscenes.

I've been enjoying the game as I just bought it for 20 (amusingly it cost over 30 a month ago, but expansion made the price tank), little or no interest in buying an expansion as most of the fun to be had in the main game is in the Everfall since combat encounters prior to that are extremely repetitive as they hold back half (over half?) the enemy types until after you beat the major boss battle 25-40 hours in; that said it was still quite fun for about half of that time. The idea behind the Ur-Dragon online is great and probably as well executed as you could get, but unfortunately that's what it will remain; a good idea that's just completely impossible to do in a good way.

#22 Edited by ahgunsillyo (444 posts) -

@aegon said:

@demoskinos: @arbitrarywater: @karkarov: Thanks for the input duders. I've always thought this game looked cool, but the negativity surrounding the story/ lack thereof and other parts of the game, kept me away from it, but I think I'm leaning closer towards getting it now.

Whoa, hold on there. Who's been spewing negativity surrounding the story? I'll admit that the story's probably not at all the main reason to go into the game (I'd say that the combat and the interesting Pawn system are the standout features that make the game worth playing), but I have to say that I really enjoyed the sharp dive into complete insanity that the game takes at about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through. It's certainly not for everybody, but if you like when Japanese games go crazy in ways that you can't really seem to find in Western games, you'll probably find it at least amusing.

Just try not to think about it too hard. Or at all. Honestly, I don't even know what's really going on at the end of the game. But it's pretty awesome.

#23 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@karkarov: Dragon's Dogma is a fun game, but it simply can't hold a candle to Dark Souls in any way except the strength of the narrative. It is better than Demon's Souls though. That said it is too different to be a fair comparison; Dragon's Dogma is basically a continuous 5 man from an MMO wherein you hope your party members aren't retarded, but you still carry most of the weight and enjoy yourself along the way. The bosses are fun the first time but get boring after a while and you're mostly there for the loot at some point, and that's fine.

#24 Edited by Aegon (5413 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo: If memory serves me correctly, then I think Ghost Trick Phantom Detective was the last absolutely bonkers Japanese game I played, story wise. And I really enjoyed the story in that game. I think it would even be my 2011 GotY.

#25 Posted by darkvare (759 posts) -

i sold my copy of god of war ascencion to get 40 bucks of psn cards just waiting for the release of this to spend it all

#26 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@demoskinos: Well to be fair it's now twice the price of just buying the original; is it twice the value is the real question that no one really knows yet. They'd need probably 6 or 7 new boss types, several hugeass arenas wherein bosses fought you and each other simultaneously, and 50 more floors of Everfallage

#27 Edited by Demoskinos (14579 posts) -

@demoskinos: Well to be fair it's now twice the price of just buying the original; is it twice the value is the real question that no one really knows yet. They'd need probably 6 or 7 new boss types, several hugeass arenas wherein bosses fought you and each other simultaneously, and 50 more floors of Everfallage

I think its easily worth the price.

#28 Posted by Slag (4044 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

So, its really weird that I'm this excited for a game I already played last year but damn I'm so ready to stab some more griffins and dragons to death.

That's not weird, that's having good taste.

Dragon's Dogma is great. More Dragon's Dogma is great.

Now I just need to come up with the money.

@alexw00d said:

Supposedly Dark Arisen is adding 20 hours of new gameplay. That I'd call a full blown expansion. Still Capcom is Capcom, we'll see.

@egg0: The PS3 framerate issue is vastly overstated. It occurred very very infrequently for me and I have an old launch PS3, I'd say it's fine.

@aegon: Significantly easier. Dragon's Dogma is not a hard game, I think the expansion will supposedly beef it up a little, but it's very easy to overlevel in this game. If you skip side quests and just plunge through the story beats you will notice a steep difficulty spike around 3/4 of the way in, but if you mess around you'll get pretty jacked up pretty quick.

just don't over stay your welcome outside at night until you're sure you can handle it.

duder the boss/big monster fights are the best I've ever seen in an Action RPG. After playing so many Quick Time Event the boss fight, it is super refreshing to feel the action again. The grappling mechanic adds a sense of dynamic thrill to the fights that boss fights have been lacking for a long time. The only bad thing I can say about them is they got too easy when I got high leveled.

re: the Story, I think the story worked as well as it did because it was so understated. The story is more of the immersive type and it's more experienced than told to you. That is why the ending worked the way it did and as well as it did. People are mistaking that style for no story, I don't think that's true. You are just kinda thrust into this world and are trying to figure it out, and you know no more than your character would. I really like that. Admittedly some plots threads are not as well developed as they could be, but a lot of what you see is really up to player choice.

Patrick was overly harsh on this game in my opinion. 4 star game at worst, for me personally it was GOTY 2012 and the most fun I've had in years.

#29 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Luckily I rented and didn't completely finish the first game, so I'm definitely on board for this. At 40$ it sounds like a steal!

#30 Edited by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

If it came to PC I would have bought it in an instant. Today my netflix-machine (X360) is barely used. :(

#31 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

Seems like Capcom to me.

#32 Edited by Humanity (8845 posts) -

I held out when the game came out because there were other things out at the time. Now nothing is out, I get the full game AND extra DLC, bug fixes AND it's only $40? Greatest decision I ever made.

#33 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

I am super looking forward to creating and customizing my personal hero and sidekick and trotting them trough adventures and dungeons in search of superior armors and weaponry. I see people are stating this is a 40$ game? in that case I wich to give a big heads up that Zavvi is selling this for just 20 Euro or 16 GBP whatever you're preferred currency may be.

I was personally intending to buy the original from the bargain bins when the sequel was suddenly announced so my anticipation is just about to hit critical mass.

#34 Posted by Tennmuerti (8012 posts) -

Nah, as much as i enjoyed my crazy time in Dragon's Dogma I feel like I have sucked out all the marrow out of that game I could possibly want. Some new enemies and areas are not going to cut it. The mechanics were that game's main draw for me and i explored those already to the full.

Maybe if my gaming plate was completely dry I would have given this a shot. But with my laptop being in repair for a month (which if Dark Arisen came out then i might have got it) I have a slew of other stuff to catch up on. And after that finally get into MWO.

#35 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I wonder if it will be separate achievements from the original game.

#36 Posted by GunstarRed (5041 posts) -

Loaded up the original earlier and had forgotten how insane the AI acts at times. I have to say that as dumb as I think DD is I'm so endeared by its wonkiness that I think I might just be up for a few more hours with it.

I hear they have decreased the amount of chatter from the pawns in Dark Arisen... something I'm a little saddened by.

#37 Posted by cbarnes86 (546 posts) -

I only Gameflyed DD twice (that has got to say something) and played my brother's copy when I would visit him. I REALLY want to pick this up, but at this moment, I have TOO many games I'm playing and have yet to finish. I might pick this up in July when releases are real bare.

#38 Posted by djou (860 posts) -

Does anyone know if this will port this to the PC?

#39 Edited by jimmyfenix (3835 posts) -

@djou said:

Does anyone know if this will port this to the PC?

not at the moment

#40 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Not sure if I want to keep going with my new game plus. Or make a new guy in the first game and import him to the second one.

#41 Edited by Karkarov (3000 posts) -

Nah, as much as i enjoyed my crazy time in Dragon's Dogma I feel like I have sucked out all the marrow out of that game I could possibly want. Some new enemies and areas are not going to cut it. The mechanics were that game's main draw for me and i explored those already to the full.

Maybe if my gaming plate was completely dry I would have given this a shot. But with my laptop being in repair for a month (which if Dark Arisen came out then i might have got it) I have a slew of other stuff to catch up on. And after that finally get into MWO.

Be honest Ten you are just afraid of facing Caxton again you home wrecker!

Well to also be fair the expansion is the original release, plus new content, plus all the DLC from the original release. You can buy the original release for 15, I have seen it that low, but the original release plus all the DLC is going to cost more than 40 and you won't get the expansion with it. If you haven't played it yet and you want to get in on some Dogma now it is a no brainer, wait for Dark Arisen.

#42 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

Does the full game have the same sort of Japanese hard rock riffs that were in the title screen? Dragon's Dogma seems like something I'd be into, but I'm enough of an asshole to disregard it completely because of terrible music.

#43 Edited by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

Sounds pretty cool have not played my vanilla copy yet. I just hate the Capcom re-release model because it makes buying the original kinda pointless.

#44 Posted by Demoskinos (14579 posts) -

@demoskinos said:
@alexw00d said:

Sounds pretty cool have not played my vanilla copy yet. I just hate the Capcom re-release model because it makes buying the original kinda pointless.

Well, if you import a save from the original game you get 100,000 RC , Unlimited Ferrystones and I think two exclusives sets of Armor as a bit of an extra Reward for dedicated fans. Just the way this game was built there wasn't any hooks in the code to add as much content as they wanted to via DLC. So it was a full re-release or bust.

#45 Edited by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

Well, if you import a save from the original game you get 100,000 RC , Unlimited Ferrystones and I think two exclusives sets of Armor as a bit of an extra Reward for dedicated fans. Just the way this game was built there wasn't any hooks in the code to add as much content as they wanted to via DLC. So it was a full re-release or bust.

yeah i know of the ferrystone and armor but i feel that does not really win you over to rebuy the game only a prize for buying it early. I also understand the game was not build for it but i feel it still sucks because Capcom has a bad habit of doing this which create a big case of buyers remorse or at the very least encourages gamers to wait on buying their game because you can bet there is going to be a better version out later.

#46 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2483 posts) -

After hearing so much about this game, this re-release makes me somewhat excited to finally play it.
Kinda wish there was a PC version... but I suppose I can deal with the PS3 version.

#47 Posted by Superfriend (1530 posts) -

If they have added a real fast travel system.. well, I guess they just updated the old one, right?

I also wish this game would come out on PC and have Steam Workshop support. There would be some crazy mods out there in no time!

#48 Edited by Kidable (127 posts) -

I feel bad that I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma for a good 5 hours before the complete and utter tediousness of it set in. Made worse by the horrific inventory system/menu and horrid AI.

#49 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

For a reason unbeknownst to me, I held-off buying and playing Dragon's Dogma. Luckily it's a Capcom release, so I'll be happy to get this inevitable remastered release of the game later this year. I won't get it right away however, since I'm currently on a *tourist stay* on Pandaria (which is effin' fantastic, if one has such proclivities). Blizzard knocked it out of the park. Good thing Heart of the Swarm reminded me of how much I really love Blizzard's *touch*.

I think I will be getting around to Dark Arisen in mid-to-late May, June at the lastest, and I'm looking forward to it a lot.

#50 Posted by BeefyGrandmole (341 posts) -

I missed this last year so I'm really excited for this. Was any of the dlc released for it any good?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.