Pawn recruitment thread

• 192 results
#101 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

I just picked this up today, so I'm in. GT is Joshthebear

#102 Edited by Humanity (8714 posts) -

So wait, do I have to anything to have my pawn be available for others or is it just whenever I'm not playing the game?

#103 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

Ey guys add me in PSN: fafaSMURF

I could use you're pawn's help. :D of course when my pawn's level is good enough I'll definitely share mine too.

#104 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@humanity said:

So wait, do I have to anything to have my pawn be available for others or is it just whenever I'm not playing the game?

As long as you set yourself up to share your pawn with everyone anyone can rent them at any time nothing more has to be done by you. If someone rents them you'll know as you'll be prompted after saving at an inn with the results of their adventures. Including any Rift Crystals or items you may have received.

#105 Edited by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@humanity said:

As long as you set yourself up to share your pawn with everyone anyone can rent them at any time nothing more has to be done by you. If someone rents them you'll know as you'll be prompted after saving at an inn with the results of their adventures. Including any Rift Crystals or items you may have received.

Gotta check those settings, not sure if my pawn is or isn't set to that. This game has a ton of systems that are only briefly explained.

Also it's my first time with the game and she is a measly level 21 with some basic gear so I can see the sentiment that most people that had bought this game at launch either aren't playing anymore or have high level characters with no need for low level pawns. Half the time when I go into the rift I see pawns around level 70 presented to me that I have to send away to get some lower level guys.

#106 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@humanity said:

@demoskinos said:

@humanity said:

Gotta check those settings, not sure if my pawn is or isn't set to that. This game has a ton of systems that are only briefly explained.

Also it's my first time with the game and she is a measly level 21 with some basic gear so I can see the sentiment that most people that had bought this game at launch either aren't playing anymore or have high level characters with no need for low level pawns. Half the time when I go into the rift I see pawns around level 70 presented to me that I have to send away to get some lower level guys.

Yeah, I started a new character since my original save was on 360 and not PS3 and seems most of the active players are higher level and messing around with the new BBI stuff instead of the main game which is to be expected but I hoped there would be a few more active players at lower levels.

#107 Edited by LeSieg (13 posts) -

Gamertag: DJShortcake

Currently level 79 and just started Bitterblack. My pawn is a Warrior with pretty alright gear, good for damage and tanking. My gear is about one step below the very best in the game. The best being Ur-Dragon gear. Feel free to add me if you want access to the pawn.

I was running through the game on Hard Mode so I am stuck going through Bitterblack on hard mode. Shit is crazy hard, it's awesome.

#108 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@yummylee said:

So, I just realised that they removed the gifting and star rating feature of hiring pawns. I guess I can understand the gifting part since nobody ever really sent anything worthwhile, but I was always curious to witness the reception for my Pawn from other players :P Though with that said it currently doesn't make much of a difference either way, considering that my Pawn is apparently still some sort of leper amongst the community and isn't being summoned =X

My pawn still gets rated....

#109 Edited by BeefyGrandmole (335 posts) -

I just picked this up yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. My pawn is a low level fighter with terrible gear right now but hopefully I'll get some decent gear for her soon. My gamertag is BeefyGrandmole.

#110 Edited by Switchb1ade (24 posts) -

@vandersexxx: Look for my pawn if you need the help!

PSN is Switchb1ade_5

#111 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

Im really liking playing the PS3 version this time. Being able to take screenshots that get dumped straight to the XMB is great. I think Im going to take all the screens I've been taking and do a little Dragons Dogma blog soonish. That's...as soon as I can make myself quit playing long enough to actually write something.

#112 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

Hey, I'm new to Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen!

My PSN is xLordsxHitmanx ( which was created by a friend of mine. Honest! ). My Pawn is a level 12 ( i think ? ) warrior named Flexers, which I'll be building into a tank.

#113 Posted by Zealousadonis (133 posts) -

My PSN is Zealousadonis, my pawn is a mostly offensive mage with some support.

#114 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

My vopy finally arrived, its been a small torture watching you guys go on about it but now i can finally join in on the questing and dragon slaying.

PSN: ATAMOSK

Pawn: Kabuki (Soldier)

Edit: Finished inviting all the PSN users, save for @wampa1 whose account can not be found, the poor fella.

#115 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

Wow, this new content is REALLY giving me a Dark Souls vibe. Finally went over to BBI and dude this place is nutso crazy and I'm loving it.

#116 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Wow, this new content is REALLY giving me a Dark Souls vibe. Finally went over to BBI and dude this place is nutso crazy and I'm loving it.

Yeah, I'm loving it too, for the most part anyway. Not a huge fan of enemies being super resistant to physical. Not all of them, but the ones that matter. Spent a good 20 minutes putting arrows into an enemy called an Eliminator and before that I lost to an uber ogre because I did no damage with either bow or dagger and the sorcerer wouldn't do it's job well enough... then it enraged... oh... the drop kicks... they were everywhere...so much one-hitting... That uber ogre fight caused me to bring ~10 wakestones with me all the time. I used the three I had one me at the time and I was so close. Had him on the last bar but it was no use.

The super physical resistance would be okay if the pawns would actually cast their spells... but they don't. I've been bringing a Sorcerer for everything since I started BBI because they are pretty much required for some fights but man do they need to learn how to cast and not constantly interrupt themselves or stand in front of a raging minotaur all the time.

Of course, that's just a few enemies. There are still some fantastic boss fights, one of which is against an even bigger Evil Eye. That guy, the Hydra, OG Evil Eye and Grigori have been my favourite fights so far.

#117 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@superwristbands: I don't know if its the same one but I was in a sewer like location when this insanely tough ogre spawned in. I was already down Alice (your pawn) from a previous fight so I ended up going into this thing and taking way to long to fight it. The whole thing eventually climaxed after me using a wake stone with the fight spilling out onto this ledge watching my pawn clinging to this writhing ogre as he stepped over the ledge and killed himself. So then I started to press on and went in the next room and.... big ol' evil eye was in the next room and I said NOPE and used a lift stone. xD

But yeah I'm finding dual mages to be the way to go along with a tank and me being an assassin.

#118 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@demoskinos: Yup, that was totally the same one and I didn't think to use the ledge, all I could think about was the darned pawns not doing stuff and the fact that I kept rolling through the water and snuffing out my lantern. I actually thought the super enemies were random because it didn't show up when I reloaded, lift stoned, then went back.

What skills do you use as an Assassin? I was just using Instant Reset, that speed buff and invisibility (as well as the two multi arrow skills and the sniper shot) but I've heard bringing Masterful Kill is a great idea. I heard it makes the Eliminator quite manageable.

#119 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@SuperWristbands As far as your Problem with the sorcerers go. Check their inclination get one that has Scather/Challenger or Scather/Utilitarian pawn inclination is super important.

#120 Posted by Switchb1ade (24 posts) -

So my main pawn has always been a Ranger, and I have been a Mystic Knight. Can anyone shed some light on whether Ranger is a vocation that other Arisens look for? My pawn doesnt seem to get hired that often and I know she is well put together. I have all the right skills, augments, and gear. She also has a lot of knowledge so can handle herself in most encounters. So I was just wondering if there was a more desirable vocation that I should look into changing her too so that she gets more use? Thanks!

#121 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@switchb1ade: getting use out of any pawn is hard because the search is flooded. Whenever I search for pawns all I find are non-DD:DA ones with the rare exception. I have yet to have had my pawn used by people (outside of this thread) and I've been playing this a lot, constantly progressing and not once through all of those levels has someone outside this thread taken my pawn for a ride.

As for what people want, I was taking warrior/fighter but changed to fighter/sorcerer (my main pawn being a support mage). I'm sure there are many people (like myself) who don't see the immediate benefit of a strider-class character (or, also like myself, am playing a strider-class character and don't feel the need for another) and look for other more obviously useful pawns, like healer mages, sorcerers and fighters/warriors.

#122 Posted by Slag (3913 posts) -

@switchb1ade: generally rangers, and all striders, are unpopular as pawns. Strider vocations are very popular play choices for Arisens so their parties don't often need a Strider class pawn.

Mages and Sorcerers are much more popular than all the other classes for pawns.

#123 Posted by Switchb1ade (24 posts) -

@superwristbands: @slag: Well that is disappointing. Thank you both for the insight! Looks like I have some thinking to do now. Thanks again guys.

#124 Posted by Slag (3913 posts) -

@SuperWristbands As far as your Problem with the sorcerers go. Check their inclination get one that has Scather/Challenger or Scather/Utilitarian pawn inclination is super important.

+1, I still don't have the DA expansion yet, but I did notice in my original playthrough that Scather inclination makes a huge huge difference in Sorcerers actually maintaining attacks.

#125 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@slag said:

@demoskinos said:

+1, I still don't have the DA expansion yet, but I did notice in my original playthrough that Scather inclination makes a huge huge difference in Sorcerers actually maintaining attacks.

Noted. I wish there was a way to tell that stuff before I hired them on (there isn't a way to do that, right?)

#126 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@Superwristbands I do believe you can view their entire profile before you hire them. Ill double check once I get home but Im pretty sure you can.

#127 Posted by Slag (3913 posts) -

@Superwristbands I do believe you can view their entire profile before you hire them. Ill double check once I get home but Im pretty sure you can.

yes this is true. Not sure what button it is as it's been awhile, but you can definitely check this out in the rift before hiring them. I would take Sorcerers with lower dmg with scather over the reverse.

#128 Posted by outerabiz (646 posts) -

hey just got bought the game and ill be bringing in all the gb pawns i can along.

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Also im on PSN as : "Outerabi"

#129 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

Ive come to the conclusion that the majority of people playing Dragons Dogma have no idea how to properly build a character. I was trying to hire a potential new Support mage and holy shit there are people who have mages with only 400 magic at level 56! Found a spec who had good stats but seems to be dying all the time anyways. I just really wish the search was more granular. Trying to find some decent mages is becoming a task.

Id be all over Superwristbands sorc but seems he had outpaced me in leveling finally.

#130 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@demoskinos: Yeah, I changed her to a Sorc to get that rank 9 upgrade for 15% faster cast and I too have tried to look for support mages and not a one is built how I want it. I don't mind the extra damage sometimes but they never have enough affinities (I usually end up having to take a fire/holy) and they have an attack or two. They also never have Medicant and only sometimes have Ultritarian. I can see having only one (for whatever reason my Mage turned Scather/Ult which prompted the change to Sorc) but having none of them is butts.

From having a low rank Sorc and Mages with attacks it makes me wonder which are better for pawns: those crazy high level spells or the weaker ones? When they get those high level ones out it is cool and powerful but the problem is "when" they cast them (which isn't often of course).

#131 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@superwristbands: Yeah, you do have a point. The super crazy spells like the meteors are awesome but they are kind of impractical. I ended up going back on to the main landmass and playing around in the everfall a bit and the sorcerer I hired casts the tornado while were in this tiny little chamber. I literally could not see a thing.

#133 Edited by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

So, would like to get a full set of Crimson Armor for Momiji. I have the helmet and the chest I just need the arms and legs but man with 2% drop rates in the everfall chests that only respawn once every 3 days that could be a pretty tall task.

Also, I need a set of "Grave Armor" for my Assassin. HOW BAD ASS DOES THIS LOOK? And gold rarefied the full set does decent protection for an assassin class. Picture of it here:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Grave_Armor_Set

#134 Posted by Gnorbooth (274 posts) -

So with all the new hoopla running around the release of Dark Arisen I decided to pick up the vanilla game for cheap and give it a shot, as I was always curious about it. Needless to say, it's hooked itself right into my veins and I can't get enough, so I have Dark Arisen on the way from Amazon. Feel free to add me and let's swap some pawns! Mine right now is a level 43 Warrior, who spent most of his time being a Strider/Ranger, and has since swapped since I'm now trying out all the ranged vocations.

PSN - Gnorbooth

#136 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

So my pawn got its first summon outside this thread and returned with a whopping 120k RC which is great for the new content as it trades gold as the most important currency for RC (something like 30k to ID a lvl 3 armour).

I've also changed my pawn back to a Mage support/healer and she now has Grand Anodyne as well as Holy Pact and the Sorc augment for 15% faster cast.

#137 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

Does anyone on PSN happen to employ Pioneer + Aquisitor by any chance? One of the first pawns i hired from this thread Flexxers used to have it which was pretty awesome but nowadays hes using regular fighting inclinations.

Also 2 things i noticed

- So many people with Guardian/Medicant pawns! How can anyone play with this?

- Its super annoying that the game does not filter out DD pawns from the DA game. When i hire someone i want to give that player that warm fluffy feeling from being chosen. When 98% of the people in the search results have not even touched the game in the past 6 months it kinda defeats the purpose.

My pawn has been hired all of once and it was thanks to this thread. Any tips on becoming more popular?

Shes a Fighter pawn with Pioneer/Challenger inclinations and gets the first dibs on all the loot we find.

#139 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@superwristbands: You know what dude. I figured out the search thing. So you search and 9/10 times you get DD pawns right? So here is the thing I never realized. Every time you search it brings back just a small segment of the actual player base at random. So, if you want to find DA pawns that are online and giftable what I've been doing is going to the rift then setting up my paramaters for the search. Then I search and if no DA pawns appear back out all the way and search again. Might take 3-4 clicks but usually by then I'll get a list of people that are from DA.

I wish they would just straight up add a filter for that to make it easier though.

#140 Posted by MetalBaofu (1343 posts) -

I can't remember my pawn's exact level, or the last class I had her set to. I beat the original game twice, so she definitely isn't a low level, but if anyone wants to add me then feel free. My PSN name is DoctorBaofu. I don't have the original game anymore, but I would like to get Dark Arisen...no idea when I will be able to, though.

#142 Posted by Kaos999 (56 posts) -

Really surprised many of you haven't done as I have and simply made your own pawns. As much as I love this game I had zero issues making new accounts so that I could control each and every member of my squad as I saw fit. I have a mage/sorc who's done nothing but magic, a warrior/fighter who's a complete beast of a tank when I needed one and a more well rounded ranger/strider that can provide good all around cover for my mage pawn.

All in all I have more than 700 hours in this game, 453(level 200) in my main, 210(level 130) in another account and 81(level 80) in the last. I only share this because it might seem like overkill but it completely changed how the game played for me. Can't lie, it made me care about their safety a lot more as well, but more importantly it allowed me to shut them all up and get them to act accordingly.

Which brings me to my final note which is how they nerfed so much about the game. before DA my pawns killed everything on the map barely giving me the chance to even get a kill and now they just stand there and watch as I get devoured by mimics. Gotta believe they nerfed so much because of all the bs whiners complaining about how easy the game had become. These people are running around in uber gear with 3 or 4 strength/magic bonus's at once and have the nerve to complain about one shotting everything.

So thank them all for the unbalanced BBI enemies and nerfs to the weapons and augments( autonomy was 70% increase nerfed to 20% and many more).

#143 Edited by Switchb1ade (24 posts) -

Since my pawn wasnt getting much action as a Ranger I made the switch to Warrior. I was wondering if any of you with Warrior pawns could list your set up for your Warrior pawn. What works best? I didnt choose any of the skills thats require a cast time or charge time since I didnt feel like they are really worth it. Am I wrong? And for augments I chose both strength ones, bastion, leg strength, and the ability to knock opponents down easier. Any tips would be appreciated!

#144 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

@kaos999 said:

Really surprised many of you haven't done as I have and simply made your own pawns.

@kaos999 said:

All in all I have more than 700 hours in this game,

While i enjoy min-maxing my setups allot of people including myself often stop playing before even finishing the main story. let alone finding the dedication to grinding/farming multiple characters trough endgame content.

#145 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

Since my pawn wasnt getting much action as a Ranger I made the switch to Warrior. I was wondering if any of you with Warrior pawns could list your set up for your Warrior pawn. What works best? I didnt choose any of the skills thats require a cast time or charge time since I didnt feel like they are really worth it. Am I wrong? And for augments I chose both strength ones, bastion, leg strength, and the ability to knock opponents down easier. Any tips would be appreciated!

Well the first question that comes to my mind is if that warrior is your designated tank or full on damage/offtank?

Pommel strike is pretty amazing as any time a boss monster spends lying facedown can translate to huge chunks of extra damage due to better acces to their weakspots. That and you can spend that time recovering/healing if needed.

If DPS:

Savage Lunge3900Charges forward with the blade extended, knocking down any caught in its path.
Spark Slash41,500Spins the blade in a swift circle, slashing at foes all around the user.
Pommel Strike1200Lunges in while driving the hilt of the blade into the target. Though limited in range it easily stuns foes.

If Tank:

Battle Cry52,000Pierces the air with a roar that draws nearby enemies' attention.
Pommel Strike1200Lunges in while driving the hilt of the blade into the target. Though limited in range it easily stuns foes.
Act of Atonement52,000Damage taken while not defending is stored, lending power to a devastating counterattack. The power of the counterstrike will increase based on the damage taken.
#146 Posted by Switchb1ade (24 posts) -

@questionable:

Well I am playing Assassin ATM and was playing MK before. So I dont think I need a tank as I tend to pull aggro most of the time. Right now I have both savage lunge and spark slash selected but instead of pommel strike I have battle cry. Is pommel strike really worth having? I never really messed with that skill as it doesnt seem its useful as anything but maybe an interupt skill? I have read both warriors and fighters are both really good to have in the party, but now with Dark Arisen I am wondering if fighter would deal more DPS because they are more prone to climb and hit weak spots than a warrior would, no?

#147 Posted by Slag (3913 posts) -

@kaos999 said:

Really surprised many of you haven't done as I have and simply made your own pawns.

frankly that would kill the attraction of the pawn system for me. The main enjoyment I get out of it is sifting through the choices find a great/interesting pawn made by another user. It's fun to see other users's creations.

#148 Edited by Kaos999 (56 posts) -

@slag:

I hear you, it just seems people here are more concerned and interested about complaining about how other arisens train their pawns or the skills they should have instead of just taking the time to just build the team you want. Seems awful ballsy to try and demand what you what from other peoples pawn when you trained your own pawn as you saw fit.( not you, just in general). Of course I quickly forget people play the same games for different reasons as I love the pawn system because it allows me to build the perfect team for all situations on the fly. I enjoy the gameplay and the world so it wasn't like it was a waste of time, but I guess searching thru page after page looking for the right one can be fun for some. I just find it odd what people complain about in this game when it allows YOU to determine your play.

Too easy? play on hard mode solo and use regular gear and no buffs

Too hard? just drop it to easy mode and load up with all you get

Don't like that lazy pawn? dump her and make one more suited to your playstyle ( easy and free on psn)

Game is unbelievable, just wish people took more time to do things themselves than complain what others are doing or not. Sorry for the rant people just disappointed that I thought I found a new community of DA game lovers

#149 Edited by Slag (3913 posts) -

@kaos999 said:

@slag:

I hear you, it just seems people here are more concerned and interested about complaining about how other arisens train their pawns or the skills they should have instead of just taking the time to just build the team you want. Seems awful ballsy to try and demand what you what from other peoples pawn when you trained your own pawn as you saw fit.( not you, just in general). Of course I quickly forget people play the same games for different reasons as I love the pawn system because it allows me to build the perfect team for all situations on the fly. I enjoy the gameplay and the world so it wasn't like it was a waste of time, but I guess searching thru page after page looking for the right one can be fun for some. I just find it odd what people complain about in this game when it allows YOU to determine your play.

Too easy? play on hard mode solo and use regular gear and no buffs

Too hard? just drop it to easy mode and load up with all you get

Don't like that lazy pawn? dump her and make one more suited to your playstyle ( easy and free on psn)

Game is unbelievable, just wish people took more time to do things themselves than complain what others are doing or not. Sorry for the rant people just disappointed that I thought I found a new community of DA game lovers

dude I hear you. I absolutely love this game, no real complaints from me. Sure there are tweaks I'd like to see in Deep Down/Dragon's Dogma 2, but on the whole this game is tons of fun. And like you pointed out, it's well within the player's power to have the game play the way they want to. I think most people in this thread we're just looking for advice about what works/is popular not really complaining to be fair.

Yeah I'm the kind of guy who likes looking for things. I'll dig through rummage bins, I'll mess around with things like spotify, I've actually panned for Gold in real life. So yeah. but I'm well aware not everyone is. I like the randomness and experimenting of the user pawn system. I'm not out to min/max to perfection at least not in Dragon's Dogma.

I totally get the min/max impulse and in some other games (lookin at you Fire Emblem) I'll save scum over and over to get the best stat boosts. However in DD After level 60 or so stat boosts didn't seem to affect gameplay a whole bunch. So I figured I'd mix it up and try out different ways to play. A lot of times I'd just take the first two random pawns I'd see in the rift just for kicks. Other times I'd spend an hour or so just sifting through them looking at the various different designs users made.

I think when I put it down last fall I was around lvl 150? don't remember, I don't think I would have stopped until lvl 200 if I hadn't heard DA was on the way.

as soon I burn through my current game I'm going to get the expansion. But I'm trying stay disciplined on my backlog and I'm only halfway through Red Dead Redemption so far.

#150 Posted by buggrit_1979 (2 posts) -

what a lovely idea, if you're still doing it.

my psn is buggrit_1979; my pawn is Elijah, based on my son, who has been nearly as disappointed as me that his dad is the only one who has ever rented him. he's a level 29 sorcerer (though levelling quickly) who tries very hard and does a pretty good job. if you also want to help my husband, he's sleepy_scruffy and his pawn is Susanne, a level 26 (though also levelling quickly) ranger who is based on me.

we don't care what gifts, if any, we get; we just like feeling useful and having fun in the game, and i do hope people will enjoy playing with our pawns. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.