Should I buy this?

Posted by theimmortalbum (511 posts) 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: Should I buy this? (46 votes)

Yes 74%
No 13%

Yeah yeah, dumb question. I'm very interested in DD, but I have this thing about not finishing games. I've started up playing Dark Souls on my PS3, and Soul Sacrifice (demo) on my Vita, but always have a craving for something new. I think I'm at a point now to where basically, only RPGs hold my interest for any length of time. I'm 95% through Dishonored, 50% through Tomb Raider, but they don't interest me anymore.

So with my insane ADD about games in mind, and my predilection for RPGs, should I buy this? If so, any meaningful differences between PS3 and 360 versions? I typically prefer 360, but my PS3 is in the bedroom..

#1 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

I voted no. Although I'm definitely interested in this game. There will be a PC version down the line and I plan to pick it up not the console version.

#2 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

Its a 60$ game with tacked on content, 25$ worth of DLC and a whole array of gameplay tweaks to improve upon the original.

Priced at 30$/20€/17£ common sense

There are no note worthy differences between 360 and PS3. The frame rate will be a little lower on 360 but the overall graphics are identical

#3 Edited by theimmortalbum (511 posts) -

Its a 60$ game with tacked on content, 25$ worth of DLC and a whole array of gameplay tweaks to improve upon the original.

Priced at 20$ common sense

There are no note worthy differences between 360 and PS3. The frame rate will be a little lower on 360 but the overall graphics are identical

Heh, yeah. Had a bit of an unexpected windfall today (gogo overpaying my mortgage escrow) so I think for the price, I'll grab it. Plus I have $10 in Best Buy vouchers, so $30 isn't a terrible price.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Its one of my favorite RPGs of this generation. I say yes at $40 with all the extra stuff and fixes its a steal.

#5 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

This cost me less than $20 in the UK. Is it me, or are prices now considerably lower in the EU?

#6 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1360 posts) -

This cost me less than $20 in the UK. Is it me, or are prices now considerably lower in the EU?

Try 30

#7 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw said:

@strikealight said:

Try 30

Still cheaper, I guess. Asda (Walmart) are selling this for £13.

#8 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1360 posts) -

@strikealight said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

@strikealight said:

Try 30

Still cheaper, I guess. Asda (Wallmart) are selling this for £13.

That's about $40+ though? I can get/import it for £17/23 from the UK...but still pretty good for a new release.

#9 Edited by theimmortalbum (511 posts) -

Its one of my favorite RPGs of this generation. I say yes at $40 with all the extra stuff and fixes its a steal.

I just can't decide between 360 or PS3. PS3 I can play while in bed, 360 is on a bigger screen in my living room. I HATE HATE HATE framerate drops, but I've honestly never encountered enough screen tearing for me to really notice it. Which makes me lean towards 360.

#10 Edited by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

I just can't decide between 360 or PS3. PS3 I can play while in bed, 360 is on a bigger screen in my living room. I HATE HATE HATE framerate drops, but I've honestly never encountered enough screen tearing for me to really notice it. Which makes me lean towards 360.

PS3 frame drops aren't unplayable and honestly once you stare at it long enough you get used to it but that being said yeah the 360 version is absolutely the better playing version from a technical standpoint. The only other thing to mention is the PS3 has the new Hi-rez textures automatically installed because.. yo blu-ray. The 360 however apparently the textures are a optional install that requires Hard Drive Space.

#11 Posted by Slag (4864 posts) -

@djou said:

I voted no. Although I'm definitely interested in this game. There will be a PC version down the line and I plan to pick it up not the console version.

Capcom has indicated no plans for a PC release (unless it's been announced in the last week). I think a PC version is pretty unlikely actually, given where this game sells the best (Japan) and piracy concerns.

#12 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

@slag: When Dark Arisen was announced I checked the Capcom forums to see if there was a planned PC release and there was conflicting reports. Seems like there is some Capcom folks advocating (link) it but it was up to the game producer to make it happen.

I really hope they do have a PC version and do a better job of porting it than Dark Souls: P2DE. They haven't announced anything but I plan to hold out since I'm not lacking for games to play in my backlog. Besides the better graphics I have to imagine the game will load a lot better when its in the open world.

#13 Posted by Humanity (10066 posts) -

I have bought it and found it strangely addicting. First time in a while that a videogame had me stay up till 2am "just walk back to camp, just check out this well, ok just one more level, ok ok ok.. oh it's 3am.."

#14 Edited by Slag (4864 posts) -

@djou: I think a PC release would be simply great for the reasons you said.

The posters I suspect on Capcom Unity are posting their wants, not any actual knowledge I'm afraid. I've read just about every official FAQ that's been released (as far as I can tell) and it's always been something to effect of "No plans at this time".

I just don't think it will happen since it's a Capcom game and I would think they would have had to started work on it by now if it was going to happen at all. It's great that one of the senior execs agrees with consumers, but if he had any pull with Kobyashi it probably would have happened by now. The fact he's talking about it publicly also suggests to me the odds of success are very low at this point, if I was Kobyashi I'd be pretty pissed that I got thrown under the bus like that.

The whole thing just reeks off a typical Capcom brush off. Very rarely do they ever outright say "no", but their "maybe"s often seem to be really "no".

thanks for the article by the way, I hadn't seen the execs actual comments.

That being said you don't lose much by waiting, other than maybe have the player created pawn community whittle down and one other aspect of the game.

Let's hope you are right, I want more people to play this great game.

#15 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3028 posts) -

I enjoyed DD a lot, but like most open world RPGs you can get bogged down on quests. But, do about 1/2 the quests you encounter is a good ideas since quests are better than just grinding an area trying to level up on dross enemies. The story is weakest in the middle, it has few hooks to move you along. DD isn't really a game that pushes you down the path to completion until the last 1/5, when it is fairly easy to follow the main-line quest from A->B->C.

Since you often don't finish games, and this one won't hold you hand to get you through, you will have to rely on yourself. That what it comes down to you motivating yourself... it won't lift a finger on your behalf. If you can motivate yourself a little great, if you want the game to push you you won't find that happening.

#16 Posted by Karkarov (3274 posts) -

@djou said:

@slag: When Dark Arisen was announced I checked the Capcom forums to see if there was a planned PC release and there was conflicting reports. Seems like there is some Capcom folks advocating (link) it but it was up to the game producer to make it happen.

I really hope they do have a PC version and do a better job of porting it than Dark Souls: P2DE. They haven't announced anything but I plan to hold out since I'm not lacking for games to play in my backlog. Besides the better graphics I have to imagine the game will load a lot better when its in the open world.

Right, there are people at Capcom who "want" a PC release, mostly on the US side, but they aren't the decision makers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.