Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Franchise »

A fantasy action-RPG franchise developed by Capcom.

Capcom is Crazy!! No firm plans for DD2!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

It is not like I want this game to be on some set like clockwork 2 year cycle, but I think they have an excellent IP in Dragons Dogma and not not be actively working on the next home console game is crazy.

It not even that they should not be making the games they are making, but come on a Vita and iOS tablet game isn't a replacement for full development on the next full game. As a fan of the IP that game holds no interest for me, I don't want a weird little handheld game.

I am literally looking more forwards to another Dragons Dogma than I am to another Mass Effect, Witcher, or Dragon Age. Capcom is making a mistake not putting full effort behind a worth sequel. And, yeah sorry, but very little Capcom has planned in 2014/2015 is of interest to me.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thank goodness. That game was awful.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@monkeyking1969: From what I can tell and the rumors I have seen heard there is a possibility Deep Down is either part of the franchise or a type of spiritual successor.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom always does odd things. They are developing Deep Down so perhaps after that is done they will transition to Dragon's Dogma 2.

Did you play the expansion? I'd love to see a sequel too. Take the pawn system to the next level. Fully integrated facial capture so you can animate your pawn's expressions, record audio clips for their speech.

Castle walls, or the ruins of such

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

Shame. Dragon's Dogma is one of my favorite games of last gen. Amazing amazing game. I played that thing for over 400 hours.

Also, cheap plug for my Dragon's Dogma blog I wrote last year. If anyone is interested in a way more detailed account on why I love the game so much.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it sold well at all.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think it did really well in Japan, but not sure about the western world.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Don't worry, I'm sure Capcom will get around to publishing a Dragon's Dogma sequel as soon as they get finish up on Mega Man Legends 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my thoughts as well. I don't really care too much to look it up though, so meh.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gerrid
    wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that game. With a few UI tweaks here and there and a button to tell your pawns to shaddup once in awhile it could be greatness.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@wsninja said:

I love that game. With a few UI tweaks here and there and a button to tell your pawns to shaddup once in awhile it could be greatness.

You can actually set your pawn to talk less if you want.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Is Capcom actually developing any games? All I can think of off the top of my head are Deep Down and Ultra Street Fighter IV, the latter of which is an update to a 6-year-old game.

As someone who really loved him some Dragon's Dogma, I think they should make another one.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I love me some Dragon's Dogma, but there's also a *lot* in that game I haven't experienced yet. I'm fine with them holding off and maybe circling back around to making one exclusively for PS4 and Xbox One. Curious about the handheld game, but I like weird little handheld games.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bobbyr

Dragons Dogma was definitely one of my favorite games in 2012. I put in way more time than I thought I ever would on that game. Still gotta finish the Dark Arisen add on though. Man, eff those big ass wolf things

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

Please refer to my blog where I entice would be adventurers to play Dragons Dogma.

RPG of the year if you ask me (the year Dark arisen was released in)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I will look at Deep Down for sure, but I really want to return to that DD world again. I played a good bit of Dark Arisen, and I have to finish it up. I played through the first game four times, that is how much I liked it and their RPG system.

Truly, I woudl satisfied if they just said they got started. At least then I could tick-off the days until I get it if I knew they were making it. But, not even having a plan or going past pre-production just kills me.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Boo this company!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope it isn't Deep Down though. It's a F2P game.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

Deep Down really has nothing to do with Dragon's Dogma. Just look at it for more than 5 seconds, however, I remember there were oft quoted lines from the director expressing his desire to create a sequel, and that the game being the fastest selling new IP in Japan was enough to reassure Capcom. They would do well to continue to capitalise on the momentum created by Dark Souls' popularity (which they did with Dark Arisen). I do believe it was developed by the biggest team Capcom has ever assembled though, and I'm sure most of you are aware that Capcom is allegedly struggling financially.

To me, Drag Dog is likely to remain my favorite game of the last generation. It occupies that rare space of being a uniquely flawed yet dazzling gem with reams of potential, riffing on literally everything before it whilst still offering something you've never experienced before. It remains the only fantasy setting that resembles England significantly enough to feel like fantasy, the busy, granular textures and geometry of Skyrim having never done anything for me. Classical monsters of antiquity are brought to life with attention to naturalist details and a certain Harryhausen touch I recall from my childhood, and all are beautifully animated. The chimera will likely remain as the iconic image of said beast in my mind for a long time, along with a whole host of others from the game. Even Dark Souls, with it's wonderfully haunting tragedy seeping through every pore of its design only serves to nudge my immersion one step to the side.

Of course, a lot of people wont agree. The world of Gransys was often derided as bland, and it's something a sequel should address. The environment deserves it's own story, whereas instead the game focused mostly on the Arisen's singular and silent facial expression, before a confrontation with a single enemy, that transforms the preceding plot from cliche to non sequitur. Naturally it was a disaster. Things got better (kind of), but focusing on a power fantasy is unnecessary when the combat fulfilled that so readily. Context was what was missing.

I could talk forever about my love for Drag Dog, and really this is just one of a number of significant things that deserved to be addressed in a sequel, and Capcom can potentially gain a lot by continuing to look at other games, in particular, Dark Souls. This is likely obvious to the developers, and I just sincerely hope they're given that chance.

Loading Video...

I mean, C'mon!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well if it's any comfort, I am sure deep down they want to develop a sequel.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Damn, panta rhei dogma would have been tight.

But who knows, maybe one day.

well if it's any comfort, I am sure deep down they want to develop a sequel.

oh you :D

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well what the hell is Capcom doing? Maybe they've got a bunch of unannounced stuff? Because with the exception of that Street Fighter thing, there aren't any major Capcom franchise releases on the horizon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank goodness. That game was awful.

Who whoa whoa, hey man, you wanna step outside and settle this?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Man I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around, but this seriously ruined my day.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man..... That was the closest thing to a Berserk game since the PS2 Berserk(Japanese only) game......

Bummerrrrrrrrr

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hatking

Good for them. They are a capable team. If they don't want to work on it, they shouldn't. Especially just to appease the demands of the public. The fetishization of sequels in this industry is fucking bizarre. You know, new stuff can be good too, right?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Clonedzero

I really did love Dragons dogma. Really cool game. It's a shame.

Plus everyone was assume that DeepDown game was a sequel to dragons dogma, but the more i hear about it the less im interested.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

still sorta want a pc release of the first game even though i have the original on xbox and dark arisen from ps+.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So there isn't going to be a second game (confirmed?), or just not a plan for one has been announced as of yet? I hope they make a second one. I really loved the first one.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@sterling said:

So there isn't going to be a second game (confirmed?), or just not a plan for one has been announced as of yet? I hope they make a second one. I really loved the first one.

I would guess the latter. Probably depends on how well Deep Down does, though, which I would assume is the reason why they're not currently working on a Dragon's Dogma 2.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sterling

@yummylee said:

@sterling said:

I would guess the latter. Probably depends on how well Deep Down does, though, which I would assume is the reason why they're not currently working on a Dragon's Dogma 2.

I forgot about that game. Haven't seen anything about it since last E3. I hope they have more info on that this year. I remember it looked promising.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@sterling said:

@yummylee said:

@sterling said:

I forgot about that game. Haven't seen anything about it since last E3. I hope they have more info on that this year. I remember it looked promising.

We already know that it's a F2P thing with an Assassin's Creed-like premise where it's set in the future and you can play memories (or something) accrediting to its fantasy setting, so... I've admittedly begun to look a little less fondly on it as time as went on. Plus Capcom + F2P sounds like the worst combination...

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@sterling said:

@yummylee said:

@sterling said:

We already know that it's a F2P thing with an Assassin's Creed-like premise where it's set in the future and you can play memories (or something) accrediting to its fantasy setting, so... I've admittedly begun to look a little less fondly on it as time as went on. Plus Capcom + F2P sounds like the worst combination...

I didn't know it was going to be F2P. Now I have way less interest in the game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@yummylee said:

@sterling said:

@yummylee said:

@sterling said:

I didn't know it was going to be F2P. Now I have way less interest in the game.

And from what we've seen of the gameplay:

• It looks kinda average for game that debuted in the most visually impressive ''real time'' trailer I've ever seen
    • Looks like it plays like the poor man's dark souls
    • Environnement seemed totally uninspired. Probably a side effect of the procedural generation
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Seppli

@sterling said:

It was successful enough to warrant further investment in the franchise, Capcom has said that much. And for us, who *get it*, Dragon's Dogma is a stand-out title - hype and word of mouth for DD2 is going to be strong. The thematically similar Dark Souls franchise is growing stronger and stronger too, proving the existence of an emerging market for these types of games.

Between the to expected fan fanfare, and just how fucking good Dragon's Dogma really is mechanically, and the extreme potency of the combination of new stronger hardware and the epicness of its core gameplay - if a Dragon's Dogma 2 is to come out, it's bound to be a breakout title for the franchise. Putting their best foot forward towards making that mad Skyrim money, one or two iterations down the road.

My guess - they're refining their technology with Deep Down for now, and once the installbase of next gen consoles reaches like 20 millions total, they'll be shooting for the stars - with a proper mindbendlingly awesome Dragon's Dogma 2. It's going to be amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.