Capcom Struck Gold Once More

#1 Posted by LikeaSsur (1494 posts) -

According to this, Dragon's Dogma is going to be another franchise, which is fantastic news, I think. Granted, that's 1 millions shipments, not sales, but it'll get there, just watch.

Not sure why the article says "While Dragon's Dogma failed to set tills alight in the West," because as far as I can tell, the game blew MOnster Hunter's popularity out of the water over here.

In a world ravaged by a bunch of 2's, 3's, and spin offs, it's nice to see that new IPs can break through and have their own 2's and 3's, wouldn't you agree?

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18906 posts) -

I would love to see a sequel to Dragon's Dogma. The game had a lot of interesting ideas, but there were just a lot of issues that held the game back.

#3 Posted by Village_Guy (2491 posts) -

Sure, hopefully they look at it and are smart about what they will carry on with and what they will change. Pretty good game, but it still has plenty of room for improvement in a sequel.

#4 Posted by cyberhugger (24 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma is cool its a hardcore rpg, capcom give me more.

#5 Posted by GideonAmos (191 posts) -

I really hope the sequel will have real multiplayer.

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

I haven't had a chance to play it myself but the general consensus is that it had a strong start but could definitely do better in some respects which is good because that means there's some good potential in that franchise.

#7 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

Wow Capcom is back in the RPG game after letting the Breath of Fire series quietly die. Interesting!

#8 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

i want to see it on the PC

#9 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

That's pretty good news. Here's hoping the next game will incorporate multiplayer and be made for the next generation of consoles (and PC).

Not really sure where they could do story-wise at this point though. Say you were to play as another arisen in another era, any revelation of the nature of the world you could have is already covered in the first game. Oh, there's a dragon? I know why that's there, it's gonna do a thing with my 'love interest' at a certain point, whoopee!

That is, unless the ending I got becomes canon. I think that changes things at least, but who knows.

#10 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@DeF said:

Wow Capcom is back in the RPG game after letting the Breath of Fire series quietly die. Interesting!

The last Breath of Fire game was a long ass time ago. Weird to mention it here. Besides these are totally different types of RPGs. This is more like Monster Hunter which has been going strong for a while.

#11 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@DeF said:

The last Breath of Fire game was a long ass time ago. Weird to mention it here. Besides these are totally different types of RPGs. This is more like Monster Hunter which has been going strong for a while.

But that's exactly why I mentioned it :)

I don't really associate Monster Hunter games with the RPG genre. To me they're kind of their own thing. Monster Hunting games ... MHGs :D

#12 Posted by GunstarRed (5022 posts) -

It's the best 3/5 game I have played in a long time. There is a ton of things to like about the game, but for every random griffon/chimera/dragon encounter there's a painful run through those rocks with the harpies. There's an amazing game in there somewhere and it's the kind of thing that very much needs a sequel.

#13 Posted by Genkkaku (732 posts) -

I have been waiting to see whether they announce this or not.. I'm still playing DD up and over 100hours, But I'm real curious about where they go from here.. Because as I believe it's Capcom's biggest production ever and it had some awesome gameplay/skill systems and some other quirky things that I really enjoyed..

But even if it's More monsters, Bigger world and more classes/skills I'll be slightly disappointed but still in none the less

#14 Edited by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

Good. There are a lot of superb aspects surrounding Dragon's Dogma (easily some of the best combat across action-rpgs in general), but there are also an almost equal amount of nagging issues large and small that drag it all down. Hopefully they'll take in what they've learnt and push the series into something truly remarkable. They've set some interesting foundation with the pawn system in particular and I look forward to seeing how they may expand upon it.

#15 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2560 posts) -

I'm enjoying the fist game, and i hope them can improve it in spots...but I hope they don't ruin it. There is some much that is funky and interesting about this first game I hope then don't wreck it trying to capture Skyrim fans.

#16 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

Great game. Really appreciate this Capcom!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.