Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Demo Discussion

• 200 results
    two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By two_socks
    so i just got done playing the demo and i'm going to list my thoughts and shit and if you want you can do it too.

- game looks pretty good. not the best, but everything has a nice textured look to it. the outside environment especially looks pretty good. nice lens flare and stuff when you look toward the sun.

- it plays almost nothing like i thought it would. it's hack n' slash, very hack n' slash. you can block when you have a shield, but i didn't notice any benefits from having better timing. the second boss (gryphon) goes down super easy too.

- character customization is pretty in-depth. you can modify height/weight, bust size for women, scars that range from just face, to face and body/arms, some facepaints. you choose your characters base stuff from presets, and then within those, you can modify them a little. you can make your guy have 2 different color eyes as well, if you want.

- when your pawns (you get to fully customize one, just like you do your character) talk during the game, their text shows up in boxes on the right. it's very distracting, thankfully you can turn it off.

- there is no way to equip other weapons. what you got is what you get.

- the inventory screen seems very plain, but it tells you all the info you need. there are lanterns and if you run out of lantern oil, it will turn off and you're left in the dark.

- there are widescreen black bars on the game, can't turn them off. it's shitty

- pawns are issued around with the d-pad. Up = Go, Down = Come back, not sure on the other two. pawn A.I. was good enough in the short section i played that i didn't need to really order them around

- pawns will seek out and take their own loot/healing items. they will also use them as needed. they will also enchant your weapons with fire damage, and heal you if they can

- it's a very short demo, probably around 20 minutes of gameplay, the rest is customizing your character/pawn, which will transfer into the final game.

all i can think of. ask any questions i'll try to answer them best i can.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

I thought the demo didn't come out till tomorrow?

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By two_socks

it's out on JPN PSN store. so if you have one of those accounts, you can grab it.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CannonGoose

I stopped noticing the letterboxing after a few minutes, the combat is pretty awesome! The Chimera rolling all over the ground as three dudes are hanging off of it, slashing it to pieces. Flying up into the sky on the Griffin's back while I set it's wings ablaze with my flaming daggers was incredible!

Pity it's so short, this will definitely not keep me occupied for another month until the game comes out, haha.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Awesome. I'll just remove the black bars through my TV's menu.

doctortofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By doctortofu

I'm actually a bit disappointed after playing the demo. I was expecting something a little less... I don't know, button-mashy? The game is just too frantic for me - I have no idea what's happening, things explode all over the place, I'm not sure if I'm doing any damage or not and the amount of on-screen messages (if you don't turn them off) is completely overwhelming...

I don't mind action in my RPGs - I'm all for that, but this game feels like Marvel vs Capcom of the RPG world - every couple of seconds I found myself going "Wait, what just... how's that... where... what?" and that's not a good thing for me... I guess I'll wait for some reviews before I get it - was going to be a day 1 buy for me, but now I'm afraid I'm just not twitchy enough for it... :(

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By two_socks

@CannonGoose: yeah. the griffin never got off the ground for me. i was hanging on to him the whole time but he was just sitting on the ground on fire. the combat is pretty fun though, very satisfying. there's an almost DMC-combo system in place. there are launchers and what not, very fun.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

It's out on Xbox Live right now, go play it dudes.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jacdg

Any spiders?

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game has the Tim Heidecker closed eye, therefore it is the best.

Not really though, after playing it I thought it was okay, not going to be a day one purchase, I'll pick it up at a time when there's nothing to play.

No Caption Provided
    Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bell_End

im underwhelmed and disappointed. i though it was generic and bland.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaLe

This is a game I need to see reviews for before deciding if I'll buy it or not. Also wish the PC version came at the same time because with this game in particular, the consoles are really showing their age.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marz

So i played the demo,  it's very very short....  i think i spent more time in the character creator than both quests available....  I really like it though...  definitely an action game.  The black bars though.....  i already play on a 24 inch monitor... and these black bars just make the image smaller.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bravestar

I love it. combat feels great and it's really intuitive and not mashy. maybe I'm just super smart and it's super hard to press RB, I dunno. it's fast, it's actiony and gives you control(something kingdoms of amalur lacked). it zooms in on monsters or characters sometimes, which is a bit distracting at first, but if you have any environmental awareness you woun't feel confused. the demo is pretty easy, but I have the feeling the pawns pull their weight and you don't have to look out for them much.

finally an RPG without shitty combat! and the situations you get in are amazing. stabbing a griffin in the butt, while it falls towards the ground burning and you are on the ride? hell yeah

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sockemjetpack

This game is now on my radar. Sure I spent more time customizing my characters than I did actually playing the game but taking down those two monsters by jumping on them and hacking and slashing felt great. I could do without all the chattiness even though some of it is useful. If there is a way to get rid of the text prompts on the left every time my party talks and if there was a roll button then it would be even better.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's something about how the movement and attacks and everything feels that is very appealing to me, really loved it. Just swinging a sword around on that first mission, feels hefty and solid, very nice. Character customisation is pretty ridiculous, I love it. Climbing on stuff, throwing enemies around, love that too.

My only negative is that there's so little control over your party. Really enjoyed the big fights because they were an exciting mess basically, but it was really just a pile-on situation. Guess you've just got to learn to let go and let everyone get on with their own stuff, but I was anticipation a greater sense of control / direction / tactical choices with your team-mates.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By daiphyer

I gotta say, the widescreen black bars are really really distracting. It's like it's always on cut-scene mode. And I hate that.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karkarov

@SockemJetpack said:

This game is now on my radar. Sure I spent more time customizing my characters than I did actually playing the game but taking down those two monsters by jumping on them and hacking and slashing felt great. I could do without all the chattiness even though some of it is useful. If there is a way to get rid of the text prompts on the left every time my party talks and if there was a roll button then it would be even better.

Uh yeah... you can get rid of the chat pop ups, the button help on the right, and there is a roll in the game. The roll just happens to be a strider skill. Go play the griffin mission again and press the right bumper/R1 and try pressing the jump button.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sockemjetpack

@Karkarov: Huh... man I'm good at missing things. Thanks for the info I'll remember it if I end up buying the game.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By countinhallways

Just finished the demo. Loved it.

The movement and camera were excellent, something that similar games such as Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning often mess up in my opinion. Group combat was manic, but in a pleasantly colourful sense. The whole climb-y grab-y mechanic is totally bananas and I enjoy it massively.

First thing that happened upon my loading up of the prologue mission: controller slips off my thigh slightly and activates the right trigger, so ... I pick up the dude standing beside me jabbering on about a light source. Wonderful. I then proceed to carry him around and use him and his lamp as my light source. Ingenious. Later, after placing him on his feet again to have a bit of a bash at some goblin-like beasts, I notice him brush himself off and fix his attire. Fantastic.

These are the kind of small touches that really make me want to play a game.

I have now created my Errol Flynn-looking protagonist and his busty (but not too busty) companion. I look forward to taking them on many an absurd quest come the release of the game.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

After playing the demo, I decided to pre-order. I like the combat, the music, and the lighting.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Solh0und

This game actually looks and plays better than I thought it was going to be. When I first saw previews of it, I was pretty skeptical. I'll probably but it this summer around my birthday.

Also, I didn't really notice the black bars when I was playing and I play games on a 26 inch HDTV.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Sackmanjones

Interesting posts. I'm at work but I guess I'll give this demo a shot

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By spiceninja

I loved it. It's like a mixture of Demon's Souls and Monster Hunter but not nearly as tough. I also love how I can play as a little kid with a big hulking man voice.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By deathbyyeti

I could only think of Dark Witcher Souls

I know its shitty to think of games that way but man Capcom why you so hungry

Also after playing all I wanted was more Dark Souls and Witcher 2

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marz
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

UM Why can't I find this on XBL? I am looking desperately for it. I'm in Canada. Any other Canadians have the demo?

EDIT: Oh shit it's Gold only. Oh well I can wait.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karkarov

@Marz: I have heard someone on the official capcom forum say the exact opposite and bitch that the xbox version had excessive frame tear while the PS3 was smooth as glass.

@xyzygy: Could try PSN if you have a PS3, seriously doubt it requires Plus.

: The real game is better for party control. There is a metric ass ton of skills and gear to use, not to mention 6 different vocations for pawns and 3 more beyond that for the main character. You also have total control over the vocation of the MC and your Main Pawn , not to mention their skills and gear. Finally while you don't have "direct" control over the two secondary Pawns in your party you are free to recruit whoever you want and literally every Live/PSN connected player's Main Pawn will be available for you to recruit. So while you end up having an insane level of power over what skills they have, what their vocations are, their equipment to an extent, and the overall party dynamic. Hell you can even "favorite" other peoples Pawn's for easy hiring and rate them based on whether you think they are any good or not.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bighat_logan

I loved it, you jump on that thing and start stabbing the shit out of it.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SuperWristBands

The presets for individual parts of the character creator are dumb as shit. It feels like it was designed to make my character look awful and malformed.

Game seems good though. I like the chatter and jumping on the griffon was pretty cool. I wish they showed some (high level?) magic spells in the demo cause I saw a video earlier of some dude making a giant ass tornado and it looked so sweet.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bighat_logan
    @WilltheMagicAsian said:

This game has the Tim Heidecker closed eye, therefore it is the best.

Not really though, after playing it I thought it was okay, not going to be a day one purchase, I'll pick it up at a time when there's nothing to play.

No Caption Provided
    Oh that looks cool
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By TheHT

The chimera battle was kinda weird, but holy moly if grabbing that griffin right before it takes off and stabbing it like a madman isn't exhilerating. wish it was confirmed for pc, but it controls well on consoles so i might just get it for my PS3.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By StrikeALight

Demo should be out today on EU PSN.

I've had this game on my most-wanted for a while now, so to actually play those two secnarios myself will be a treat.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJOR64

Quick question. In the full game, are you able to use your Custom dude or do you have to use the default guy?

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CannonGoose

@JJOR64: Default dude for the prologue section, custom dude for the rest of the game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JJOR64

@CannonGoose said:

@JJOR64: Default dude for the prologue section, custom dude for the rest of the game.

Cool. Playing the demo right now and it's pretty cool.

Really hope those stupid widescreen bars get fixed in the retail game.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

I really enjoyed it! Like mentioned before I think this succeeded in what Kingdom's Of Amalur was trying to achieve combat wise. Combat and controls is really well done.

You jump on top of monsters.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JJOR64

Finished the demo and it was pretty neat. May have to check it out when it releases. The pawns thing reminded me of the partners you get in Dragon Quest 9.

Really hope the final game turns out great.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Fearbeard

I'm still not sure what to think. While I understand how the game plays a bit now, I really didn't see anything about character development and loot in the demo which is definitely going to be the key to longevity for me.

The basic gameplay seemed decent enough for me to consider picking it up though.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Arebuckle

The prologue left me feeling not very impressed if I'm honest. But then I made my character and fought the Griffon, completely changed how I felt about the game.  Just the simple act of running to bugger, jumping up to grab him and then stabbing the hell out of him, whilst he was trying to fly away felt great. The party system still feels odd, but I might figure it out when I go back to it.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By GoofyGoober

I am downloading it now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s a shame the prologue felt so claustrophobic, I wanted to get a good play around with the warrior but I guess I’ll have to wait until release. The griffin mission was fantastic I spent a ludicrous amount of time creating my character and main pawn and to see them both in the griffin mission was ace.

Loved the combat and loved the music.

the inventory will be bigger but its limited within the demo, no black bars for me when I was playing on my 32 inch HDTV.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By YoThatLimp

What the FUCK. This game is completely nuts in a good way. I really wished these Japanese developers would develop for the PC, because man I would love to play this on a PC with an xbox controller.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Karkarov

@Fearbeard said:

I'm still not sure what to think. While I understand how the game plays a bit now, I really didn't see anything about character development and loot in the demo which is definitely going to be the key to longevity for me.

The basic gameplay seemed decent enough for me to consider picking it up though.

If you want a feel for what the game is like on the loot / progression side of things I suggest checking out two video's done by the European side of the Official Xbox Mag. In the two vids you see a guy playing the game.... but what is cool about it and key for your concern is that in vid 1 he is around level 20-21, while in vid 2 he is around level 37. Not only will you get to see how he feels about the games challenge earlier on versus later in but you see how he has progressed with both his MC and Main Pawn because he uses the same character in both vids. They are both about 10 minutes long for the record.

Anyway linkage....

Vid 1

Vid 2

MrBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrBen

I found it too chaotic. Specifically climbing the griffin. The AI got in my way a bunch on the prologue level too. It was still fun in places but a little too frustrating for me overall.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bell_End

@YoThatLimp said:

What the FUCK. This game is completely nuts in a good way. I really wished these Japanese developers would develop for the PC, because man I would love to play this on a PC with an xbox controller.

id like to see it on the PC too. maybe then it would not have ugly black borders

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By two_socks

@WilltheMagicAsian: I saw the closed eye thing as more of a nod to Berserk, but I suppose Tim Heidecker is a better reference in a video game.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karkarov

@two_socks said:

@WilltheMagicAsian: I saw the closed eye thing as more of a nod to Berserk, but I suppose Tim Heidecker is a better reference in a video game.

Considering one of the male default models is literally made to look like Guts, you can get Berserk weapons and armor in the game, and the game is made by Japanese people who have made a video talking about the Berserk collaboration.... I think it is safe to say the nod was definitely to the main character of Berserk.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By two_socks

@Karkarov: Yeah I know. I think it's awesome. Good to see some Berserk love in video game format.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Enigma777

Just finished it and... um... well... yeah, it's not very good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.