Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Demo Discussion

• 200 results
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By TentPole

I am getting it on 360 for the Resident Evil 6 demo.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Played the Griffon part about 5 times. Gotten it to a science and can toast him in about 5 mins. LOVING IT. Gonna pre order as soon as I can.  

Love playing as a archer/rogue most likely gonna use that more in the maingame. Named my Best buddy pawn Jesse.  

As for the blackbars. Never really noticed them To busy leaping onto the griffon and beating the crap out of him.  

As for the games look not sure why but getting a Dark souls feeling from it. The only part I do not like is the buttons seem oddly placed at first but got used to that fast. 

VDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By VDay

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Karkarov: Yeah, I get that. I just don't know if Silver members will have any access to the online functionality at all, if they don't, I'd rather get it on the PS3.

I've seen a ton of websites report that Silver members will, in fact, get access to all the online features.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#154  Edited By RVonE

@VDay said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Karkarov: Yeah, I get that. I just don't know if Silver members will have any access to the online functionality at all, if they don't, I'd rather get it on the PS3.

I've seen a ton of websites report that Silver members will, in fact, get access to all the online features.

Really? That would be awesome!

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Godak

I just checked out the website. It seems I can be a magic archer, which seems like the greatest thing ever. Reading up on the skills, I'll probably alternate between the two-hander class and the magical pew-pew class.

nimbil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By nimbil

I loved the demo, I think the animation for the smaller enemies when hit could be a little more fluid / organic. I freakin love the boss fights. I have been waiting for a game with these kind of mechanics since SOTC. I love how fluid the character controls, and the abilities to roll, jump grab and so on. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this game. Pre-ordered!

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Godak

@nimbil said:

I loved the demo, I think the animation for the smaller enemies when hit could be a little more fluid / organic. I freakin love the boss fights. I have been waiting for a game with these kind of mechanics since SOTC. I love how fluid the character controls, and the abilities to roll, jump grab and so on. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this game. Pre-ordered!

Speaking of animations - does anyone else think that the roll is practically useless? It takes too long to start up, and it doesn't move you very far. The sprint starts up fast, and moves you way speedier than the roll.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Eaxis

I really loved the demo. It was awesome to see all the little touches. Big pluss for lots of mechanics, player control and it felt very unique. One concern I have is that the other npc's was too helpful by running ahead, and not following my slow pace too look and search through every corner.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Lysergica33

Okay for a start, I really liked the character creator. Very japanese, lots of options and potential for unique characters. I especially liked the timid/confident posture slider and the feminine/masculine stance slider. I made both a main character and a pawn and ended up deciding that their story is something along the lines of them being a deeply enlightened elfin couple, both fairly androgynous looking, both so old that they have essentially become ageless. The way I set up the timid/confident and feminine/masculine stance sliders were something like fairly confident (maybe 2 "clicks" in from the furthest point of confidence" and both as far towards feminine stance as possible. I wanted them to be very unassuming and kindly looking, but not timid or unconfident, due to their ageless, enlightened nature. The fact that the character creator got me thinking about these characters' stories is a definite plus. A game can have all sorts of in-depth visual customisation options for your toon, but not all of them are quite so condusive to roleplaying. So that was a big plus.

However, the character creation menus also lead me to my next point... The soundtrack. What the fuck is going on in people's heads when they decide it's a good idea to put cheesy cock-rock guitar solo's in a dark fantasy RPG game? I remember being similarly dragged out of the experience when Call of Duty: World at War had down tuned industrial metal guitar chugging over the orchestral stuff. As far as I know Meshuggah didn't exist in the 1940's... This stuff just doesn't fly for me, it's as if someone made the decision to include music that is totally at odds with the game's setting for the express purpose of ruining a sense of immersion. Provided there's no guitar solo's during the actual game itself, I'll let it slide.

Now when it comes to the actual gameplay part of the demo, I had noted from reading forums that it was a good idea to turn off all the numbers and the active camera stuff, but the AI is so goddamn hyperactive and the demo's so short that I found it hard to get a grip on what was going on. By the end of the Griffon boss fight I felt a lot more in tune with the game but I still felt a little dissapointed.

Ultimately though, I think I will still buy the game. I've seen enough of the gameplay to know that with enough time spent, I'd get very into it. The open world aspects look great, as does the way they have designed the difficulty curve. The combat isn't as much to my taste as something more nuanced would be, but I think if I play a mage in the full game, I'll find a lot more to like. Won't be a day one purchase however. I'm moving house on tuesday, so I'm short of pennies for one, but after playing the demo, I've decided it's not worth full price, but definitely worth playing.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By RVonE

@Lysergica33: Yeah, the guitar solo was kinda out-of-place; it's a pretty good solo, I think, but definitely a weird fit. Still, at the same time that's kinda what I love about it. I hope there are more of these weird Japanese design choices in the final game.

The character creator was a ton of fun, indeed. I love the fact that you can also completely create your primary follower. It really invites the role-playing mentality, like you said. It would be nice if the game allowed me to write a little back story for my pawn.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I think the unusual music could be a huge plus. I got so tired of the generic orchestral stuff in Amalur, but really enjoyed the one song in that soundtracked that sounded like a Banjo-Kazooie song, because it's something different. What I really want is the SotC_OST, though. Got so fired up watching gameplay of Dogma set to that music, I had forgotten all about how great it was.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By RVonE

@Redhotchilimist said:

I think the unusual music could be a huge plus. I got so tired of the generic orchestral stuff in Amalur, but really enjoyed the one song in that soundtracked that sounded like a Banjo-Kazooie song, because it's something different. What I really want is the SotC_OST, though. Got so fired up watching gameplay of Dogma set to that music, I had forgotten all about how great it was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

nimbil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By nimbil

Finally a game with evolved mechanics beyond the humdrum strafe left-right and shoot. I can't wait to pick this up, I have been waiting for a game like this since Shadow's of the Colossus set the bar. Pre-ordered! People need to get on this!

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By RVonE

So, when my pawn wants to fling me into the air, what button do I press? That mechanic kinda confuses me; I can't nail it with any consistency.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#166  Edited By Seppli

Tried the demo. Liked it quite a lot. After Diablo 3 and before Guild Wars 2, I could see me giving Dragon's Dogma the time and money it seems to deserve. For now, it has won my attention. I don't even need glowing reviews to pick this one up, above average will do. It's right in my ballpark. I love kinetic hack 'n slash combat and exploring fantastical open worlds and RPG trimmings.

Rendering resolutions below 1080p disturb me in games such as Dragon's Dogma, which are rendering detailed worlds for me to immerse myself. So much crispness and clarity and otherwise readily apparent detail is lost with current day consoles (sub-) 720p rendering resolution. A crying shame. Can't wait for console gaming to finally render in 1080p as a standard.

Oh well - as always with console exclusives (since doing my multiplatform gaming on PC mostly), it'll take a session or two and I'll be not be grievously disturbed by it anymore. What I do for love...

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By RVonE

@Seppli said:

Tried the demo. Liked it quite a lot. After Diablo 3 and before Guild Wars 2, I could see me giving Dragon's Dogma the time and money it seems to deserve. For now, it has won my attention. I don't even need glowing reviews to pick this one up, above average will do. It's right in my ballpark. I love kinetic hack 'n slash combat and exploring fantastical open worlds and RPG trimmings.

Yep, that's about where I'm at as well. Very curious to see more of this game.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Karkarov

@RVonE said:

So, when my pawn wants to fling me into the air, what button do I press? That mechanic kinda confuses me; I can't nail it with any consistency.

You don't press anything. You just run over to them and they will automatically fling you in the air. You also don't have to press the grab button, that is automatic too. Of course you can always get flung in the wrong direction or show up late and not get tossed too.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#169  Edited By paulunga

Okay, this is not how you sell someone on your game. I played the 360 version and it's really not cool to get excessive frametearing in a menu (your character's head in the edit menu). Please someone tell me the PS3 version's better about that.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Karkarov

@JustKamToo: That isn't the main theme of the game, also that person is a jerk for stealing content from someone else.

Here is the original video by the guy who made the song

Either way it is the games best trailer as far as I am concerned. It even has a giant purple pink beholder thing headbutting the arisen in it.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By RVonE

@paulunga said:

Okay, this is not how you sell someone on your game. I played the 360 version and it's really not cool to get excessive frametearing in a menu (your character's head in the edit menu). Please someone tell me the PS3 version's better about that.

The PS3 version is better about that.

@Karkarov said:

@RVonE said:

You don't press anything. You just run over to them and they will automatically fling you in the air. You also don't have to press the grab button, that is automatic too. Of course you can always get flung in the wrong direction or show up late and not get tossed too.

I see. I'll have to try that out. Thanks!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#172  Edited By MachoFantastico

Actually thought the combat could be fun and challenging, but the rest of the game seemed awful to me. Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't get why the 8-4 guys were so thrilled by the demo, maybe it's something I simply don't get. Graphically I like some of the monster designs but the rest of it looks as rough as hell itself, except for the animation which I rather liked. The interface is awful though.  

Can't say I was that impressed, isn't this game being developed by one of the biggest teams ever assembled for a Japanese developer or did I think that up?

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By paulunga

@RVonE: Thank you, Rich (can I call you Rich?). You've assuaged all my fears and I will happily AND blindly buy the PS3 version of a game that seems like it might have some potential.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By RVonE

@paulunga said:

@RVonE: Thank you, Rich (can I call you Rich?). You've assuaged all my fears and I will happily AND blindly buy the PS3 version of a game that seems like it might have some potential.

lol. But seriously, I don't know what's up with that terrible tearing on the 360 but in the demo of the PS3 it doesn't happen. Rumor has it that the demo is of an older build that isn't quite optimized so there's still a chance that the full version on 360 runs just fine. That said, if you want to rely on the actual information available, the PS3 version seems to be your best bet when it comes to this issue.

And yes, you may call me Rich.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Bribo

I was initially pumped for Dragon's Dogma, then I watched the livestream on Gametrailers and I was totally sold.

Having played the demo, I no longer give a shit about this game. I might tune in again if it reviews well.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By RVonE

@Bribo said:

I was initially pumped for Dragon's Dogma, then I watched the livestream on Gametrailers and I was totally sold.

Having played the demo, I no longer give a shit about this game. I might tune in again if it reviews well.

So what was it about the demo that turned you off?

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Bribo

@RVonE: I'd hoped the big monster fights would be more a challenge than they were. I suppose that could be late game stuff in the demo and you start off a lot weaker in the game itself, but it doesn't give a particularly good impression.

And those companions need to shut their damn pieholes.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#178  Edited By Cincaid

@RVonE said:

@paulunga said:

lol. But seriously, I don't know what's up with that terrible tearing on the 360 but in the demo of the PS3 it doesn't happen. Rumor has it that the demo is of an older build that isn't quite optimized so there's still a chance that the full version on 360 runs just fine. That said, if you want to rely on the actual information available, the PS3 version seems to be your best bet when it comes to this issue.

And yes, you may call me Rich.

Quite sure the developer have said it's an old build they made the demo on (still don't understand why they do that, since a demo is supposed to gather interest).

Also, haven't there been reports that the framerate on the PS3 version is considerably worse than 360's? In that case it would be trading one issue for another. Again, hoping all of that is due to old game build.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Karkarov

@Cincaid said:

Quite sure the developer have said it's an old build they made the demo on (still don't understand why they do that, since a demo is supposed to gather interest).

Also, haven't there been reports that the framerate on the PS3 version is considerably worse than 360's? In that case it would be trading one issue for another. Again, hoping all of that is due to old game build.

Yes the Demo is an old version. Other than the inclusion of the character creator it is actually the exact same demo you could play at E3 in 2011. No the final build won't look exactly like that, Capcom has said on their own forums it doesn't have AA turned on for example. PS3 demo did have lower fps but it also was stable, meaning it didn't have any large drops or gains in fps so the game played smoothly. It inst like the game needs 60 fps though, it isn't call of duty. Yes it would be nice to see better than 20 though. I imagine the final version will get into the 30's.

@Bribo: It gets old having to mention this but... the Demo is two parts. The first is the games actual Prologue. It is basically a tutorial level, you are supposed to win easily. So yes it will be easy. The second part is the Countryside mission where you are given a well geared team of all 20's and put against a standard griffin and group of generic goblins. Again, your team is more than prepared for the fight, if anything you out gear/level it and all your pawns are given 100% knowledge on how to kill a griffin. In the real game you might encounter your first griffin at lower level, your team definitely wont know to light their weapons on fire and snipe the wings, and you will be alot less geared.

Here is a new vid released by a dude with the real retail product apparently. It is important cause you will see him roll up on the exact spot the country side mission takes place in. There isn't a griffin there for him but there can be. Notice how crappy looking his teams gear is overall? Not to mention how he is 5 levels lower than the dudes in the countryside mission? The neatest thing is at the end he opens the map, and you see he has also already been to this area before, meaning he was probably lower level and lower gear the first time he got there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lnn-DUNfyo

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#180  Edited By Cincaid

@Karkarov: Oh don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to the game, and honestly the tearing didn't bother me one bit while playing the demo. Hopefully the final product lives up to my expectations, which by looking at and reading previews it seems it will. I just hope I'll finish my last two achievements in FFXIII before release day. :S

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#181  Edited By Sambambo

I was totally ready when I thought this was a co-op game, but it seems like it will be so boring on your own.

Sorry if I have missed it, but has there been any mention was to why it isnt co-op?

On the face of it the game seems built for it!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperSambo said:

I was totally ready when I thought this was a co-op game, but it seems like it will be so boring on your own.

Sorry if I have missed it, but has there been any mention was to why it isnt co-op?

What ever made you think it was co op? And no it was not said why it was not co op. Every game does not need to have co op in it. 
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#183  Edited By vager

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@SuperSambo said:

What ever made you think it was co op? And no it was not said why it was not co op. Every game does not need to have co op in it.

The Pawns in the trailers/videos of the game looked more like other players than NPCs. The comparisons to Monster Hunter probably helped too.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#184  Edited By Sambambo

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@SuperSambo said:

Every game does not need co-op, but this one would clearly benefit from it, and as said by

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Karkarov

@SuperSambo said:

Every game does not need co-op, but this one would clearly benefit from it, and as said by

Itsuno straight up said in a livestream the game was built for single player from the ground up and the pawn mechanic was designed to play into the social/community aspects of games. As a truly open world RPG (think skyrim), with an actual single player story, a 200 level cap, 9 classes, and god knows how many skills / "perks" doing meaningful co op that was fun without also being tightly restrictive would have been just about impossible. They choose to make it the best single player game it could be instead of almost the best it could be with a average to par co op component.

VDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By VDay

I don't understand why people think Co-op would make this game a thousand times better or why they think this game looks like it was designed for it. It's a huge, open world, single player RPG where you have some AI companions. How does that make it more suited for co-op than Skyrim or Final Fantasy 12 or Xenoblade? Also I love that no one who's said they wish this game was co-op has actually thought about what that would mean beyond just "Hey what if my friend was controlling that dude instead of the AI?! That'd be great!" You know, like how you would even implement it, whether your friend would get experience/items, what would happen if you do a story quest that your friend hasn't gotten to yet, etc etc.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@VDay: It's because all the companions are interchangeable, and not story-related. All of the party members in those other games are either integral to the story or are at least grounded in the same world as you. I doubt you can even make up a backstory for the pawns and send it with them when you share them online. The pawns are basically bots. I don't think it's weird to think it would be better if they were controlled by friends instead of a computer that talks non-stop.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#188  Edited By jacksukeru

@Redhotchilimist said:

@VDay: It's because all the companions are interchangeable, and not story-related. All of the party members in those other games are either integral to the story or are at least grounded in the same world as you. I doubt you can even make up a backstory for the pawns and send it with them when you share them online. The pawns are basically bots. I don't think it's weird to think it would be better if they were controlled by friends instead of a computer that talks non-stop.

What this guy says, and also the whole thing seems centered around group combat with mages as support and, from what I've seen, the fighter at least has a "taunt" move that gets him or her aggro. A game with these type of group dynamics are ideal for co-op. Implementation however probably is pretty difficult, as well as expensive, so I can see why they didn't do it. Launching a new, ambitious IP must be difficult enough and costly enough on its own.

Also I would have loved for there to be co-op in Xenoblade, having to rely on the AI for 2/3 of your party was cumbersome sometimes. With everyone playing differently, filling the classic tank, dps and healer roles, it could be way easier to manage the party if you could have another human behind the wheel.

VDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By VDay

@Redhotchilimist said:

Well to be fair they've said that pawns (or at least the origin/nature of pawns) will end up playing an important role in the story, but point taken. Also I realize I'm probably in the tiny minority on this, but I like how the pawns just blabber on. You can turn it down if it bothers you, but I think it makes sense that these soulless walking robots don't really understand how human interaction and conversation works, so they just go around yelling about the things they see.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#190  Edited By damswedon

I jumped on both the Griffin and Chimera and mashed the X button until they died.

Scottish_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#191  Edited By Scottish_Sin

@damswedon said:

I jumped on both the Griffin and Chimera and mashed the X button until they died.

Yep, that'd do it.

To be fair though, it was awesome hanging on for dear life as the Griffin flew around in the air. It made that fight pretty epic for me. Really looking forward to playing the full game.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By RVonE

@damswedon said:

Yes, but did you enjoy it?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@SuperSambo said:

Not every game needs co-op, but this is one I definitely think would have benefited from it.

It's not a deal breaker, but hopefully it's something they can get in for a sequel (if that ever happens).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#194  Edited By monkeyking1969

I liked the demo, and what I have seen so far seems worthy of a purchase. I've been disappointed by most western PRGs this year, so I'm willing to look at what Capcom can being to the table after five years of work. What I have seen so far looks promising a good mix of what I know I want and what I might want to try. (If this doesn't do it for me - I might have to buy a Slim XB 360 for Witcher.)

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By jmfinamore

@countinhallways said:

I have now created my Errol Flynn-looking protagonist and his busty (but not too busty) companion. I look forward to taking them on many an absurd quest come the release of the game.

Is it weird that this sentence made me want to play this game?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#196  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I did like what I tried out. Having my character look like my girlfriend and kill a fucking griffon... <3

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#197  Edited By Slag

Hah wow I feel pretty unobservant after reading this thread. I enjoyed the heck out of that demo.

yeah the constant AI meaningless repeated banter was annoying but the combat, the look of the world, the music and especially the character creator I really dug.

Didn't know this game was rumored to have co-op I don't care that it doesn't especially given how many pawns you have (with two PCs and 6 pawns that would be a cluster on the screen),but I could see how people who like that style would be upset.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#198  Edited By JJOR64

To give people a heads up, some GameStops are doing Midnight releases for the game. I know mine is. Double check with your location to see if they are doing one as well.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#199  Edited By MightyDuck

Finally got around to playing the demo.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but I kept getting killed each time by not healing quick enough. Is the difficulty pretty high or is it just me not paying attention and button mashing until the bosses or dead?

I'm intrigued, but worried I could get a chunk of the way through the game and then hit some difficulty wall.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By LikeaSsur

I didn't even notice the bars.

It's too short to be considered a good demo, I think. It barely gives you any gameplay to putz around with, and doesn't even tell you about other classes like the Quick Look did. The no lock on will take some getting used to, but I can tell I'll love this game when I have the time and money for it.

Also, throwing pawns is the best thing ever. More games should not be afraid to just say "Alright, I'm a game, you can do wacky things if you want."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.