Getting Back In - Deep Down Sparked My Passion

#1 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3052 posts) -

After watching the Deep Down trailer last month, I picked up off from my game save from late last year. It took me about 40 minutes to get back in the swing again. Some of the nagging issues like rolling around the menus took awhile to get back in my head. Yet, I still found myself really enjoying how this game follows some jRPG conventions and changes others.

What really made me smile, was picking new pawns. I try to be good and only hold onto the pawns in my part for a few missions before releasing them with gifts. I enjoy when my pawn returns, so I try to pay that off for others as well. But, l do enjoy picking new pawns. I like to look them over, go into their stats, and check out their abilities. It is interesting when you find a pawn who is dressed in a way you have not seen before, or when you see the choices people make. Some pawns look like the owner modeled them after real people, other you can tell are 'fantasy' ideals. I always give the pawns I like good star ratings, a comment, and a decent gift. From time to time, I pick up a low level pawn drag them all over the map showing them all the big monsters, changing them into upgraded 'gift' gear, and gifting them a Ferry Stone.

My pawn gets a fair amount of use, so I must be doing something right. I wish the feedback system was more clear because I would love more feedback in the next game.

#2 Edited by Slag (4912 posts) -

After watching the Deep Down trailer last month, I picked up off from my game save from late last year. It took me about 40 minutes to get back in the swing again. Some of the nagging issues like rolling around the menus took awhile to get back in my head. Yet, I still found myself really enjoying how this game follows some jRPG conventions and changes others.

What really made me smile, was picking new pawns. I try to be good and only hold onto the pawns in my part for a few missions before releasing them with gifts. I enjoy when my pawn returns, so I try to pay that off for others as well. But, l do enjoy picking new pawns. I like to look them over, go into their stats, and check out their abilities. It is interesting when you find a pawn who is dressed in a way you have not seen before, or when you see the choices people make. Some pawns look like the owner modeled them after real people, other you can tell are 'fantasy' ideals. I always give the pawns I like good star ratings, a comment, and a decent gift. From time to time, I pick up a low level pawn drag them all over the map showing them all the big monsters, changing them into upgraded 'gift' gear, and gifting them a Ferry Stone.

My pawn gets a fair amount of use, so I must be doing something right. I wish the feedback system was more clear because I would love more feedback in the next game.

yeah I'm never quite sure why my pawn is "borrowed" or not. I always try to be generous with gifts and comments to people whose pawns I borrow, but generally they don't seem to be in return. :(

That being said I thought the pawn system was a neat way to do use interconnectivity.

It really is a great game, I plan to finish my second playthrough sometime after Dark Arisen comes out.

#3 Posted by JZ (2120 posts) -

You make a hot lady pawn who is a healer, you'll get 5 stars all day long.

#4 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3052 posts) -

I have a diminutive, tattooed young woman Ranger at level 77. She has some nice competent look, she is light weight armored, but the key pieces of armor are dragon forged. I believe, because she has a unique well put together look, armament, and filled out skill and ability roster she get used a lot.

Some people make some really poorly set up pawns with their skills and abilities half filled-in. Others pawns are incredibly un-stylishness in dress and look. That is why I would like a better feedback system so I could tell people, "Hey, spend some time at the "inn" training your pawn...it will help." The big trick is that high level pawns/characters don't need a ton of armor. You can just toss on some nice looking bits of armor and play just fine. In light weight armor most high level pawns 'PLAY MORE EFFECTIVELY'. My Ranger works best running, flipping, and leaping - so less is more - for her.

#5 Edited by Slag (4912 posts) -

Some people make some really poorly set up pawns with their skills and abilities half filled-in. Others pawns are incredibly un-stylishness in dress and look. That is why I would like a better feedback system so I could tell people, "Hey, spend some time at the "inn" training your pawn...it will help." The big trick is that high level pawns/characters don't need a ton of armor. You can just toss on some nice looking bits of armor and play just fine. In light weight armor most high level pawns 'PLAY MORE EFFECTIVELY'. My Ranger works best running, flipping, and leaping - so less is more - for her.

This is true, but my pawn is a warrior so it seems rather silly to have her not be wearing heavy armor.

but yeah a more in depth feedback system would be great. There are many pawns I immediately swapped out because they never contributed in fights or never shut up.

#6 Posted by HH (639 posts) -

so what's the deal with dark arisen exactly if you've already completed the game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.