Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Gransys Stories

TheSpoonyBard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheSpoonyBard

Let's share some of the fun/crazy/random/wonderful stuff happening in your playthrough. :) Mark any story stuff as spoilers etc etc.

I had just exited Grand Soren when I saw a burning cart surrounded by goblins down the road. Goblins at this point are easy XP for me, so I ran into the pack and started killing them off. I had killed about half of them when I hear a flapping noise ominously getting closer. Right before I could figure out what that was, a griffin comes out of nowhere, swoops right into the burning cart, destroys it and takes off again. And never returned.

Griffins are half lion and half eagle, but I'm pretty sure there's some UAV in there too, because I just got the Dragon's Dogma version of a drone strike.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

I just killed a Cyclops and he dropped 2 mystical eyes.

Cyclops.

2 eyes.

WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK?!?!?!?!

I dunno i found it hugely entertaining for some reason :P

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

When I was level 3, I tried fighting the Cyclops near the waterfall outside of the encampment. The Cyclops threwRook into the ocean and jumped in after him. I never saw Rook again, but at least a gained a few levels.

Rolfgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rolfgang

A giant tried to dropkick me in the Everfall. Thank god the missed. Thank god even more that he dropkicked himself into the abyss, there was no way I would have beaten him otherwise!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Azteck

I read the title as "Granny stories" and wasn't sure if I wanted to click the thread.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

@TheSpoonyBard: I was fighting my first giant in the Everfall. He tried to jump backwards and land on his back to crush me while I was climbing him. Except, his back was facing the open ledge leading to an immense fall. I fell off him safe, but he certainly made a successful backflip to his death.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo
    @project343 said:

@TheSpoonyBard: I was fighting my first giant in the Everfall. He tried to jump backwards and land on his back to crush me while I was climbing him. Except, his back was facing the open ledge leading to an immense fall. I fell off him safe, but he certainly made a successful backflip to his death.

That fucker suplexed me over the edge. I don't think he even had the common decency to follow me to my death.

This game is so frustratingly close to being amazing.  Some of the fights I've had with the boss monsters have kicked the shit out of anything that happened in Skyrim, but other parts of the design let it down so badly.  It's a real shame.
    Rolfgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rolfgang

Also, that one time, I fought a cyclops on top of the Shadow Fort. Then the naughty cyclops decided to swing his club in my face, resulting me flying... and flying a bit more, over the edge, killing me with one blow and my brains spattered on the grounds below the fort. Damn cyclopses!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@Jimbo said:

@project343 said:

That fucker suplexed me over the edge. I don't think he even had the common decency to follow me to my death. This game is so frustratingly close to being amazing. Some of the fights I've had with the boss monsters have kicked the shit out of anything that happened in Skyrim, but other parts of the design let it down so badly. It's a real shame.

I thought like this during my first 30 hours or so, but now the more I play it the more increasingly fed up I'm getting. I've been over-levelled for so long that all of the combat is generally pretty tedious as I fight the same bandits/saurians/goblins over and over. The boss battles aren't even very impressive anymore either since I've faced off against them so many times! Griffins are surprisingly rare, but I've got enough Cyclop tusks and Chimera lamb heads to open up a medieval fast-food chain.

The Pawns is still definitely an impressive feature, but they lose their appeal as I'm forced to hear the same hilarious nonsensical babble they keep spewing out; yes, Fire Beard, all these roads must lead to Gran Soren. Couldn't we have just accepted that fact 20 hours ago and move on?? What was most impressive was how they actually 'learn' through experience, and as such should you bring in higher level pawns, they can even act as a guide taking you to where you need to go. But now none of it matters because it's all far too easy and I've already explored pretty much all of what's available as far as I can tell. They're now here just to simply act as distractions during battle or as my pack mules.

It suffers from crippling design decisions to be sure, like the lack of any reliable fast-travelling system which builds upon the tedium and unnecessarily bloated padding because of all the added travel. The world is fun to explore to hunt for supplies, but it fails at being a necessity once the game begins to get increasingly easy the more you go on. And even the combat, the one saving grace, is starting to leave me bored to tears because of the aforementioned ease the game has resulted in. All I really need to do is to keep using the burst strike (1H sword lung attack) over and over against most enemies while my pawns just... well, do whatever like they always have. And once all of the good aspects begin to get watered down, all of the faults only start to become more prominent. Like the lifeless narrative and painfully overdone ''fantasy'' dialogue.

It reminds me of a lot of Amalur in some key areas in fact, in that Amalur also suffers from having too much of the same extended across what is a needlessly big game. If Dragon's Dogma had the same amount of effort put forward to its narrative (which I didn't actually care for, but I'd have been more accepting if Dogma could at least hit that level of quality) and the fast travel system, and also featured more enemy/boss variety, then I'd more inclined to view Dogma as a solid 4 star game. As it is, it's currently a frustrating 3 star game that only now dips more and more into something I'm actively not enjoying. And that's even while I purposely put some space in-between my game sessions as well...

With that said, I still prefer Dogma to Amalur, as Amalur really didn't have much going for it. Dogma at least clearly had some great ideas put in play, but suffers through some asinine design decisions.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

A griffin swooped down, grabbed me.... and dropped me off a cliff.... then i turned off my xbox and started playing diablo 3 again :P

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coafi

Fuckin' pawns jumping off ledges and saying: "I was clumsy." Damn right you were! They keep making me reload to another checkpoint. If your main pawn dies, is there no way to get him back? I keep reloading every time he dies, I don't wanna lose him.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo
    @Yummylee: It is rather unfortunate that the unwritten end to most of these stories is '...and then I had to slowly jog the whole way back.'
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

@Coafi said:

Fuckin' pawns jumping off ledges and saying: "I was clumsy." Damn right you were! They keep making me reload to another checkpoint. If your main pawn dies, is there no way to get him back? I keep reloading every time he dies, I don't wanna lose him.

If your main pawn dies, you just need to head back to a rift gate and s/he'll respawn for you. Any summoned pawns you'll have to manually search and recruit again in the rift.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Coafi

@Yummylee: That's awesome! Good to know this fact, because my main pawn is clumsy as fuck he literally loves jumping off cliffs or collecting random stuff like rocks. Thanks!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By monkeyking1969

Early in my game I had gone to the first big city, but I wanted to go back out to my home again. Sadly as I was leaving I was preoccupied with searching around the gate, so I had a late start going back. Because the sun was setting and I was such a low level I decide to jump up on a ruined aqueduct after fighting some wolves.

I figured up on the aqueduct I would be safe, but to be sure I worked my way long the top to a wide square of still intact stone. As the sun set, darkness settled so the only light was from my lantern. As I probed the edges of my roost I started hearing several voices. Once voice was of a seemingly confused and sad woman looking for her baby. "Where...is my baby?" she would moan. Because it was pitch black the effect of several mystery people moaning and talking under my feet and out of sight was extremely creepy, but it was the woman asking, "Where is my baby...?" that heightened the effect.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By musubi

So I'm cruising along at night on the road on my way to wherever I was going. Next thing i know this huge ghastly apparition appears before me. Its a wight. He starts summoning skeletons and I deal with his fodder while I await my pawn to hit me with a holy buff so I can take down the wight. As were doing that I hear "GRRRRRRRRR" then POW like a freight truck I get hit by a huge creature on the ground. Its none other than a chimera. Shit. Seconds later my lantern goes out and I have no oil flasks on me. Its pitch black and I'm fighting near a huge drop off by the cliff. Luckily my support pawn finally hits me with a holy enchantment. Not exactly super effective against a Chimera but... hey I'll deal. I jump on the things back stabbing in desperation. Finally after nearly falling off the cliff twice during the scrape we manage to fell the chimera. The wight is left and we ban together and finish the job. One of the most hectic crazy fights I've ever had. In PITCH BLACK on the side of a cliff.

Reading it doesn't do it justice for being in the moment.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By project343

@Jimbo: I actually find it incredibly charming. It almost feels like Dark Souls: you have to be incredibly careful at every turn in order to do anything successfully for the first... 25 levels? My suggestion is to explore in areas that you know are safe and slowly push forward until you're at a respectable level then progress through the main story.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tennmuerti

So apperently casting a holy shield on my shield inside an inn is a criminal offence, the innkeeper pissed his breeches and called the guards :/

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coafi

@Tennmuerti said:

So apperently casting a holy shield on my shield inside an inn is a criminal offence, the innkeeper pissed his breeches and called the guards :/

Haha, I remember when I first got caught by the guards I was jumping on the roof tops and shot a guy with an arrow to his face. I continued jumping on roofs and when I got down I was caught, at first I thought the guards were mad that I was on the roofs but I was guilty of shooting innocent towns people. I wonder what would happen if you get caught and sent to jail without any money and a skeleton key, do you stay in the cell forever?

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Genkkaku

During the Arousing Suspicion side-mission (btw WTF!?), I used up my second skeleton key opening a random cage, so I then ran up to the Jester and punched him in the face, and it was oh so satisfying.. They they re-arrested me and I payed my way out..

@Coafi said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Haha, I remember when I first got caught by the guards I was jumping on the roof tops and shot a guy with an arrow to his face. I continued jumping on roofs and when I got down I was caught, at first I thought the guards were mad that I was on the roofs but I was guilty of shooting innocent towns people. I wonder what would happen if you get caught and sent to jail without any money and a skeleton key, do you stay in the cell forever?

Yeah I ran to the rooftops and fired a random arrow then the guard appeared as I fired and I hit him square in the face.. And I keep accidentally hitting the X button to talk to people and attacking them.. To get out it deducts what-ever money you do have, I had $400 and thought that he wouldn't let me out but it just deducted that, so I assume you'd be let free with no money anyways

TheSpoonyBard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheSpoonyBard

@Genkkaku said:

During the Arousing Suspicion side-mission (btw WTF!?), I used up my second skeleton key opening a random cage, so I then ran up to the Jester and punched him in the face, and it was oh so satisfying.. They they re-arrested me and I payed my way out..

@Coafi said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Yeah I ran to the rooftops and fired a random arrow then the guard appeared as I fired and I hit him square in the face.. And I keep accidentally hitting the X button to talk to people and attacking them.. To get out it deducts what-ever money you do have, I had $400 and thought that he wouldn't let me out but it just deducted that, so I assume you'd be let free with no money anyways

Or it could be like Skyrim and you actually 'spend time' and end up with less XP.

I remember trying to chase down Pip for the 'Land of Opportunity' mission and somehow pissing off a guard that way. Bastard just walks up to me and throws me into jail for something.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By trace

I just had to delete a whole load of unnecessary bickering and vitriol in this thread. Let's keep it on-topic with gameplay stories and the like, please.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Sterling

I just got my butt handed to me by the cockatrice in post game. He let out this crazy breath attack and petrified my main pawn and another hired out one. And I was trying to run away since we had barley taken 1 life bar away, and he picked me up, flew up really high, and dropped me to my death. I have now sworn an oath. That foul beasts will die by my blade before nights end. (if I can find him again)

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Detrian
    @Coafi said:

@Tennmuerti said:

You can find some items to combine into some keys down there. Or so I've heard.

I don' think I've had any "exciting" adventures so far. I've traveled the roads, faced cyclops, chimeras and trolls but that's all in a day's work.
    Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Sterling

Yeah, in the cell is a rock and a shackle, which you can combine to make a skeleton key.

Just beat the Ur-Dragon for the first time. The loot you get from that is insane. Gonna have to make some more runs at him.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JonSmith

... I killed God.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Genkkaku

Whilst climbing a ladder to run away from Snow Harpies one totally gave me a lift and dropped me off at the top.. that was so nice of him

Avatar image for the_partys_over
    The_Partys_over

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Partys_over

During the early mission to explore the Everfall came across a Giant or an Ogre or some big mother and while my pawns whooped ass I decided to climb him and give the old boy what for... No he chooses to launch himself off the walkway taking me with him...

I'm not even pissed it was awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.