Holy Cow! The framerate!

#1 Posted by MachoFantastico (4801 posts) -

So I started playing the Xbox 360 version today and for all that is mighty the framerate is shockingly bad for me. Usually don't get to upset about framerate issues but it's making the game unplayable at times (especially as an archer). Still in the early hours but 80 percent of the gameplay as had awful framerate. Went down the well in the starting village and it was unplayable when killing those monsters. As me wondering if something is wrong with the disc? Only at a few spots when it's been decent, and when running with four pawns every time I look at them the framerate falls dramatically. Slightly baffled because it's not a great looking game, is it just optimized poorly? If so they why release it in that condition.   

Anyone got any ideas what might be of help concerning this? If not I might see about returning it. Seems like an interesting game and combat is fun when not at a few frames per second. Like I said, framerate don't bother me a great deal, but when I find it affects gameplay then I might reconsider it. 

#2 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

I haven't had any issues involving framerate. Especially anything that made it even close to unplayable, or even slightly annoying.

#3 Posted by believer258 (12019 posts) -

Is it one of those games that really should or really should not be ripped to the hard drive?

#4 Posted by xXxLYNCHxXx (162 posts) -

I playing on the 360 as well. While I have not had any significant issues with the frame rate, I do find the screen tearing quite distracting.

#5 Posted by Vanek (383 posts) -

I noticed it when I started playing and it really bugged me for awhile. It gets really bad in towns, but in most places the frame rate is never smooth or constant.

I don't even want to try playing it uninstalled ...

#6 Posted by project343 (2835 posts) -

@TrueEnglishGent: It might dip here or there, but I haven't had any disruptive issues with it. Try installing it to your 360.

#7 Posted by Creamypies (4082 posts) -

Apart from some screen tearing here and there, I haven't noticed any game breaking performance issues. Frame rate really hasn't been an issue for me. I'm playing on the 360 too, and it's installed.

#8 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I would suggest (if you haven't already) to try installing it to your HDD and also clearing your cache. My friend seemed to have the same issue as you did and tried both of those methods and it seemed to help.

#9 Posted by Welding (145 posts) -

Playing it on PS3 and its completely fine for me. Weird.

#10 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1042 posts) -

I'll echo everyone and say install it to your hard drive if that's an option. I don't have any serious framerate issues but I do get the occasional screen tearing (which I don't really pay attention to now).

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I MADE it dip one time. Got a full group of mages and we all went into battle. It did go down but it was still playable.  

No clue what is wrong with the OP game but its not shared. 

#12 Posted by Oni (2105 posts) -

The framerate is pretty bad (like I'd say between 20 and 30 but never higher than 30), but it's generally fairly consistent for me also, except when the screen is full of stuff (particle effects, stuff breaking etc), so it shouldn't be game breaking... Try installing?

#13 Posted by LikeaSsur (1571 posts) -

I haven't even seen screen tearing. I must be one of the lucky ones.

#14 Posted by MachoFantastico (4801 posts) -

I have installed it to the hard drive, I'll try clearing the cache to see if that helps or maybe even reinstalling it again.

From what you say it seems something is wrong for me, tried a few different games and don't think it's the console (have the Halo Reach Xbox 360 S so not very old). Will try those options and see if it improves. Right now it's unplayable. :(

Thanks for the help folks.

#15 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

Neither have I..

#16 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1042 posts) -

@Genkkaku said:

@LikeaSsur said:

Neither have I..

You dudes are definitely lucky. Within five seconds of starting the tutorial I got terrible screen tearing and it didn't let up until the tutorial was over. It only happens now whenever the camera suddenly whips around.

#17 Posted by Rolfgang (6 posts) -

@MagusMaleficus said:

@Genkkaku said:

@LikeaSsur said:

Neither have I..

You dudes are definitely lucky. Within five seconds of starting the tutorial I got terrible screen tearing and it didn't let up until the tutorial was over. It only happens now whenever the camera suddenly whips around.

I never noticed a framerate drop or screen tearing, guess I'm also one of the lucky guys. We have been chosen! :D

#18 Posted by BleedingStarX (281 posts) -

@xXxLYNCHxXx said:

I playing on the 360 as well. While I have not had any significant issues with the frame rate, I do find the screen tearing quite distracting.

This. Not that I was thoroughly enjoying the game anyway, but these little bits really bug the hell out of me when playing. I'll probably be trading it today

#19 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Is it better than Blight Town?

#20 Posted by MachoFantastico (4801 posts) -
@Azteck said:
Is it better than Blight Town?
About the same level for me, just more frequent whereas Blight Town was a specific area. 
#21 Posted by MachoFantastico (4801 posts) -

So cleared the cache of my Xbox 360 and reinstalled the game, patched then gave it a quick run this morning. Interestingly enough frame rate seem better in the areas I was having real bad performance in but when I entered a new area it started all over again. Went to kill some bandits in a new area of the game and the framerate caused me real aim problems while using the bow and arrows. Baffling! But I certainly don't like the idea of having to clear the cache and reinstall to fix the problem every time I enter a new area. Going to contact Amazon to see if they might be of help, probably not :(

#22 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

The framerate can be quite poor with a ruinous sigil, 4 great cannons on top of it and 3 mages behind me.

It's rather low for me quite often, but I like the game so much I deal with it.

I've never really noticed any screen tearing though.

Just imagine if it wasn't letterboxed and had a FOV over 70. Single digits people!

#23 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent: That's really awful. Blight Town was almost unplayable a lot of the time.
#24 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

The framerate's been consistently bad for me too, worse than Blight Town when I'm in the Rift recruiting pawns. It's always playable, but very rarely @30. I wonder if the discrepancies between performance reports are caused by oblivious players, would love some concrete information.

As much as I like the game, I feel like it's barely held together with gaffer tape. The occasional absolutely flat rock textures are hilarious.

#25 Posted by jesterroyal (353 posts) -

I get some bad framerate when theres too much magic on top of me. The worst framerate glitches I had were when 2 mages cast healing in the same general area and my whole party stood in it while the griffon(sp?) thrashed about in the background. Stepped out of the healing and the framerate went back up where it belonged. It was worse than blight town. (Im a PS3 user, though)

#26 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent said:
So cleared the cache of my Xbox 360 and reinstalled the game, patched then gave it a quick run this morning. Interestingly enough frame rate seem better in the areas I was having real bad performance in but when I entered a new area it started all over again. Went to kill some bandits in a new area of the game and the framerate caused me real aim problems while using the bow and arrows. Baffling! But I certainly don't like the idea of having to clear the cache and reinstall to fix the problem every time I enter a new area. Going to contact Amazon to see if they might be of help, probably not :(
I never have issues. There might be an issue with your game or the 360. Again only time I had issues is when we all went mages and spammed big spells. 
#27 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

i think it's time for new consoles.

#28 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@ervonymous said:

The framerate's been consistently bad for me too, worse than Blight Town when I'm in the Rift recruiting pawns. It's always playable, but very rarely @30. I wonder if the discrepancies between performance reports are caused by oblivious players, would love some concrete information.

As much as I like the game, I feel like it's barely held together with gaffer tape. The occasional absolutely flat rock textures are hilarious.

My framerate is very consistent and smooth. Nothing close to blightown and I am pretty sure I am not oblivious, but my team uses little magic if that might be a contributing factor.

#29 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@TentPole: Then I am jealous and appalled, boggles my mind how it's down to individual consoles.

Edit: Well, I changed the 360 output resolution from 1080 to 720 and it settled down, but everything looks muddier and I get bad screen tearing. Oh consoles.

It makes a hell of a difference though.. 720 it is then.

#30 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

OP should have read the professional reviews, they would have pointed out the framerate issues... bwahahahaha.. haha *wipes tear from eye* ohhh man

#31 Posted by Demoskinos (15034 posts) -

I have occasional hitches but the screen tearing is what is most notable for me.

#32 Posted by LikeaSsur (1571 posts) -

@Rolfgang: And it didn't even require us getting our heart torn out! :D

#33 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

This game really reminds me of Shadow of the Collosus on the PS2 frameratewise. Can't wait for the HD collection in 2017.

#34 Posted by Karkarov (3196 posts) -

Screen tearing is still pretty common on the 360. Maybe the newer consoles don't have it as bad. Regardless the framerate is okay, though the harpies can be a bitch to shoot sometimes. It definitely isn't dark souls blight town level.

#35 Posted by Winsord (1256 posts) -

Installed it before I ever played and haven't had many issues with screen tearing or framerate. I've had a couple of dips in the larger fights (two ogres, lightning, tornado and meteor spells abound) but nothing that's ever affected my ability to aim as an archer. The only other time I find it chugs a little is when it's saving when entering/leaving a town, but that's only for five seconds or so and then it's back to normal.

#36 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Finished the game and got half way though new game plus. No frame rate issues. Still sounds like the OP has issues with their system or the disk. The screen tearing is not that bad 

#37 Posted by doomguy64 (18 posts) -

Been playing the PS3 version and I've had the occasionally frame hitch here and there. Hasn't affected me too much though, I expect this for a game with such large draw distance on a console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.