Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Looking forward to Dragon’s dogma more than Diablo 3

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I’ve always enjoyed a good dungeon crawl so I’ve always been a sucker for the Diablo games so May 15th is going to be a fun day playing the crap out of Diablo 3, but at the back of my mind I’m really counting down to Dragon’s dogma.

The more I see of this game gets me more excited for it.

The playlist link below will take you to a guy’s large (and growing daily) list of long and short footage taken from preview build of the game.

Playlist

Hope you enjoy them, so far I’ve not seen an storyline spoiler’s as he seems to run through and annoyingly seems to skip a lot of mobs and content, but still he also has several videos of pawn/player skill sets, talking with your main pawn and item enchanting.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By jacksukeru

Ok, I hope this doesn't turn into one of those Skyrim, Dark Souls kinda situations with unnecessary comparisons between the games.

I'm the same though, I'll be playing both but my heart at this moment belongs to Dragon's. I've been trying to stay away from videos and stuff however, so I won't be following that link.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I prefer Diablo 3 I guess but I'm keeping an eye on Dragon's Dogma.

Amalur kinda burned me however, hoping for a good fantasy game that isn't Witcher or made by Blizzard for a change (Skyrim don't count, done with that!).

Deathcrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Deathcrush

I will just get both but after the beta i am actualy more exited for DD than D3

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By galiant

The Dragon's Dogma demo was interesting, for sure. But as I'm sure I've mentioned somewhere before, I've been waiting for Diablo 3 for over ten years...Dragon's Dogma can wait.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Grillbar

i dont think you can compare them and i want diablo 3 more then dragons dogma but ill still pick it up since it seems interesting

Scottish_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Scottish_Sin

Have to admit, the more I see of the game the more I'm leaning towards buying it. I'm also getting Diablo III though, so I dunno yet, we'll see.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

I liked the demo for DD and so I'll probably pick it up before I eventually get around to D3. Honestly, I'm looking for something I'd enjoy playing on my console rather than PC. Dragon's Dogma seems to offer a lot of the choice I like in PC RPGs while still being set on a console.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why even compare the two games? They are very different after all, this just seems like an unnecessary attempt comparing games that don't really need to be compared...

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

looks like a cool game but damn i'd rather play it on a PC. Hopefully capcom sees the light and announces a PC version soon.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Op it's cool, I loved Diablo 2 but theres alot of stuff I'd rather have than 3. Honestly, 2 wrapped the plot up perfectly, making another game is just insulting.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karkarov

I concur mr op sir. I will not even be buying Diablo 3, you guys can stone me later but I thought D2 was massively over rated too. Dragon's Dogma though I will be all over like white on rice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Village_Guy: I don't compare them at all.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By gamefreak9

I have confidence D3 will be ground breaking. I am still shaky on Dragon's Dogma, though I checked out all the videos. If its good I will def buy it but that no PC is a big deterent.

It seems okay, the only class I would play is the mage, the other stuff looks janky as hell. I really like the night/day emphasis, probably the best thing about the game! Though just the fact that its on the Xbox and not the PC makes me think its less strategic and more mashy...

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm looking forward to DD more but that's only because it looks rather unique in some ways so I'm really interested to see how it turns out. I'm still going to buy D3 of course because we all know how good that's going to be and frankly it's a sequel so it's doubtful they're going to do anything incredibly different, not that I'm complaining. They do what they do well.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Trilogy

Eh, it looks ok but there isn't much in terms of games that can take my attention away from Diablo 3 right now.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RVonE

I'll buy both but at this point I'm definitely more excited for Dragon's Dogma than I am for Diablo.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By emem

I haven't seen much of Dragon's Dogma and right now I don't care about it at all, to be honest. On the other hand I can't wait to play Diablo 3.  

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Amalur kinda burned me however...

I don't know a single person who was able to finish that game and I'm really glad I didn't get it. It looked so promising... 
    Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Branwulf

@Marz said:

looks like a cool game but damn i'd rather play it on a PC. Hopefully capcom sees the light and announces a PC version soon.

This

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RVonE

@Branwulf said:

@Marz said:

This

While the developers and publisher haven't admitted to anything, it seems reasonable--in light of what happens to a lot of recent Capcom games--to suggest that there will be a PC port down the line. Of course, this is just speculation and conjecture.

If we end up with a PC version, the real question will be the quality of the port. Capcom games don't have the best of records when it comes to their PC versions.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JJOR64

I'm going to pick up Dragon's Dogma first then get Diablo III at a different date.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Giantstalker

The only reason I'm getting D3 first is that it's on the PC, even though Dragon's Dogma looks conceptually more interesting.

My tolerance for consoles has waned considerably and the framerate in Dark Souls almost killed the experience for me; I can wait for a port.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Marz

@RVonE said:

@Branwulf said:

@Marz said:

This

While the developers and publisher haven't admitted to anything, it seems reasonable--in light of what happens to a lot of recent Capcom games--to suggest that there will be a PC port down the line. Of course, this is just speculation and conjecture.

If we end up with a PC version, the real question will be the quality of the port. Capcom games don't have the best of records when it comes to their PC versions.

i'm not too worried about it being a bad port job, MT framework games usually run just fine on PC. The big concern is the user interface friendliness for mouse and keyboard but i really don't mind plugging in a controller for this game.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By MEATBALL

I had only a passing interest in both and then I played the Diablo III public beta and Dragon's Dogma's demo. Diablo's beta left me really impressed, Dragon's Dogma left me super underwhelmed, the game just felt clunky, awkward and wasn't exactly aesthetically pleasing. Don't get me wrong, it's super cool that you can mount creatures like Griffons and Chaimeras as you hack away at them, but that's about where my appreciation for the demo ended. I've slapped down a pre-order for Diablo III and will be holding off on purchasing Dragon's Dogma if at all.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Zippedbinders

Considering I've never given a flying fuck about Diablo, Dragon's Dogma seems way more interesting.

Besides, that demo was pretty awesome, like they sat down the DMC3 director and made him watch Demon's Souls and SotC back to back and told him to make a game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TentPole

@RockmanBionics said:

Ok, I hope this doesn't turn into one of those Skyrim, Dark Souls kinda situations with unnecessary comparisons between the games.

I'm the same though, I'll be playing both but my heart at this moment belongs to Dragon's. I've been trying to stay away from videos and stuff however, so I won't be following that link.

This...

and Dark Souls is way better than Skyrim.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I'm at this stage where I'm too distracted by Dragon's Dogma that I don't want to play any other game as it would detract from my experience of those games, Diablo 3 and Max Payne included. Way I figure it middle of the year is when the drought of games happen so I'll have two great games to keep myself occupied during June and July.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RVonE

@Cold_Wolven said:

I'm at this stage where I'm too distracted by Dragon's Dogma that I don't want to play any other game as it would detract from my experience of those games, Diablo 3 and Max Payne included. Way I figure it middle of the year is when the drought of games happen so I'll have two great games to keep myself occupied during June and July.

I'm in that weird place as well. I've been really excited for Diablo 3 and was looking forward to playing it this week. Yet about a month ago Dragon's Dogma really grabbed me to the point where I decided to hold off on playing Diablo 3 until I'm done with Dragon's Dogma.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RVonE

Just noticed that the last video for this game was posted almost a year ago on this site. Kind of a sad state of affairs. Here and elsewhere coverage of this game seems very minimal and the game comes out next week! A bad omen for this game, I'd say.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karkarov

@RVonE said:

Just noticed that the last video for this game was posted almost a year ago on this site. Kind of a sad state of affairs. Here and elsewhere coverage of this game seems very minimal and the game comes out next week! A bad omen for this game, I'd say.

Not really, this is typical Giant Bomb. They gushed all over Dark Souls for example but never even did a Quick Look of Demon's Souls until like a month after it's release and never covered any of it's videos or promo trailers. GB only covers "AAA" games or ones that have so much hype behind them you have to cover them.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RVonE

@Karkarov said:

@RVonE said:

Not really, this is typical Giant Bomb. They gushed all over Dark Souls for example but never even did a Quick Look of Demon's Souls until like a month after it's release and never covered any of it's videos or promo trailers. GB only covers "AAA" games or ones that have so much hype behind them you have to cover them.

Of course that's typical GB, but even outside of this website, coverage for a game with such a large team behind it isn't what it needs to be for this game to be a commercial success, I feel. You know I'm looking forward to this game, but I just don't see it succeeding in the market.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Ruiner

same...but i'm sure Diablo 3 will be a "better game"...but it's just not what i'm into...

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Karkarov

@RVonE said:

Of course that's typical GB, but even outside of this website, coverage for a game with such a large team behind it isn't what it needs to be for this game to be a commercial success, I feel. You know I'm looking forward to this game, but I just don't see it succeeding in the market.

It will be fine. Capcom's own projections are only looking for 1.5 million sales over a extended period. Once the first few weeks of hype for the game released today is over and people start realizing there is other stuff to play it will pick up. Also remember that after May there isn't really a whole lot to see for the most part. Especially when it comes to RPG's. Just keep giving the game good word of mouth, let your buddies know, etc etc. It will do okay once people give it a try.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jozzy

I actually thought this game was out today, must've been the Diablo 3 versus Dragon's Dogma posts I've been reading lately (like this one).

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RVonE

@Karkarov said:

@RVonE said:

It will be fine. Capcom's own projections are only looking for 1.5 million sales over a extended period. Once the first few weeks of hype for the game released today is over and people start realizing there is other stuff to play it will pick up. Also remember that after May there isn't really a whole lot to see for the most part. Especially when it comes to RPG's. Just keep giving the game good word of mouth, let your buddies know, etc etc. It will do okay once people give it a try.

I sure as hell hope you're right! Good point about the post-May period. Also, 1.5 million doesn't seem unreasonable.

Man, I feel much better somehow.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karkarov

@RVonE said:

I sure as hell hope you're right! Good point about the post-May period. Also, 1.5 million doesn't seem unreasonable.

Hahahaha good. If you want you can tide yourself over by watching some youtube vids. I know one guy is posting some every day. Some of them give some reasonably useful info but others you need to avoid because they are minor spoilery/it is just him running around on a naked female arisen beating up low level mobs.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RVonE

@Karkarov said:

@RVonE said:

Hahahaha good. If you want you can tide yourself over by watching some youtube vids. I know one guy is posting some every day. Some of them give some reasonably useful info but others you need to avoid because they are minor spoilery/it is just him running around on a naked female arisen beating up low level mobs.

Yeah, I've been soaking up videos of this game for about a week and a half now. I can't wait for this to come out.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Totori

I am 
    it's the last game to come out till September.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zripwud

I'm already playing Diablo III, it's awesome as expected. But for some reason I can't stop thinking about Dragon's Dogma.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RVonE

@Zripwud said:

I'm already playing Diablo III, it's awesome as expected. But for some reason I can't stop thinking about Dragon's Dogma.

Same here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.