Mystic Knight kinda not what I expected xD

#1 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

So the deal with MK is you ALWAYS have a big ass shield as a secondary but can use either staff or sword/mace as primary?

Daaaamn, I thought I could switch the shield for a staff as a secondary and still retain my big old clobbering stick!

Looks like I will be sticking to physical classes I guess :(

#2 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

@Bassario:

The shield actually kind of acts like a very unique staff. You cast magic through it. Different magic obviously, but it can be quite potent.

For example you can put on any elemental counter on it, making enemies pretty much kill themselves with a perfect block. Or buff an entire party's weapons. Or give your clobbering stick a sick AoE effect that pretty much demolishes any monster in the game. And there are some other fun spells.

The staff is still kinda fun if you need some range damage and don't have Grand Cannon on, or to levitate just like a mage.

A staff wielded at the same time as a sword/mace would be worse imo, they would be competing for the same amount of your combat time, for damage. The MK shield allows you to be better with your already powerful sword/mace abilities, its a synergy rather then a competition it would have been with a staff.

#3 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

oh yeah, thanks. So the skills that use my main weapon are they using my physical stat or magic dmg stat? (Such as Sky Dance)

Before this I was a Warrior and an assassin so I have tons of physical but very little magic stat.

#4 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

Skills that use your main weapon use the weapon damage + your stats, so if you have a physical only weapon they will use that damage type. But if you have say a fire sword it will have a physical and magic component so the skills that use your sword for moves will use both types of damage together. (basically they use both if they can, but onyl physical if your weapon is only physical) So overall if 2 weapons have the same damage it's still best to use one with both physical and magic damage.

#5 Posted by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -

Put holy or fire element on your weapon, use the grand cannon spell 2-3 times on the same spot, and start swinging. You get tons of fireballs shooting out all over the place decimating everyone. Great for setting enemies on fire all over.

Also, for some people who don't know, a lot of the level two skills you unlock require you to hold the skill button down, and after it charges the first level, it then begins charging the second level. Its easy to never realize. The level 2 energy sword extending thing lasts for a really long time and is amazing.

#6 Edited by thebigJ_A (1000 posts) -

The staff's a primary weapon, potentially the most powerful in the game. It makes far more sense for it to switch your right-hand weapon between mace/sword and staff. If you have been playing with just physical attacks, you don't know what you're missing.

I do really wish there were a button for switching primaries. The fact that I need to go into my inventory to switch means I'm almost always using staff and shield, rather than taking the time to stop and switch to my mace.

#7 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

@thebigJ_A said:

The staff's a primary weapon, potentially the most powerful in the game. It makes far more sense for it to switch your right-hand weapon between mace/sword and staff. If you have been playing with just physical attacks, you don't know what you're missing.

I do really wish there were a button for switching primaries. The fact that I need to go into my inventory to switch means I'm almost always using staff and shield, rather than taking the time to stop and switch to my mace.

You are missing out on some awesome MK sword/mace skills :P

Grand Cannon, Vortex Sigil, Ruinous Sigil, Full Moon Slash and while technically a shield spell Abyssal Anguish is absolutely amazing with a melee weapon.

And Ruinous Sigil helps keep enemies at bay while you are casting the super long Holy Furror to kill everything. :D

#8 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

Yeah.. upon further research and reading what u say I think u might be right but I don't really have much choice now that I have reached lvl 50ish mostly using warrior/assassin/ranger/strider most of my points have gone into Physical damage and HP/STAM I don't think my mystic knight would be nearly as powerful as someone who has mostly stuck with mage/sorcerer/magic archer/mystic knight. Those would be my inclinations for sure on a second play through but there is still SO much to do, I dont see myself starting a new game before lvl 200 or potentially ever :(

I console myself with the fact that I really disliked the shield always on back and I have to reach for it mechanic xD I know its necessary to add in the funky (stereotypically capcom) "perfect block" function but It just bugged me to no end in combat.

#9 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

@Bassario:

There are 2 main paths for the MK if you are looking for power:

1. Coming from a mage specialization and having a lot of spell power the MK can devastate with Grand Cannon and Ruinous Sigil. Placing 3-4 grand cannons with faster casting and spamming the shit out of them.
  2. Coming from physical vocation like fighter/warrior etc , like you did, (and I did the same thing), your greatest weapon is Abyssal Anguish, making every weapon swipe count from anywhere between 2 to a dozen strikes, increasing your damage output exponentially.

Both are very powerful. But imo Abyssal Anguish far outshines the Grand Cannon build. A physical based MK can kill a drake in under half a minute without it even getting a chance to take off. And only needs to cast one spell. :)

#10 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

Thanks for that, thats great advice, im looking forward to trying it a bit later on when im lvling so slow that I can allow myself to gain +2 phyd dmg for a few lvls and still enjoy it for a while :D I see it still has some fun pure physical skills so it will work greatly! Like downthrust is just such a fun little move.

One last tiny little thing, is blink strike considered a physical or magical attack? this question seems somewhat stupid as you are physically bonking them over the head with your your mace but the teleportation is kinda magical :D wish this was a little more obvious in some cases, but ill figure it out from there...

Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.