Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Needs tips on how to kill a random dragon

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ToxicFruit

Hi i have Dragon's Dogma paused while i write this.

I have been fighting a random Drake i found in the woods when you exit the quarry and have not been doing so well on him.

I am a level 21 mystic knight and i have no idea if i am even suppose to be able to kill him at this moment, been trying for about 1 and a half hour, but i am having damn fun trying anyway :P

Do any of you guys which are further a long have any tips for me ? anything would be useful.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

You should level up a bit more.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Tfruit said:

Hi i have Dragon's Dogma paused while i write this.

I have been fighting a random Drake i found in the woods when you exit the quarry and have not been doing so well on him.

I am a level 21 mystic knight and i have no idea if i am even suppose to be able to kill him at this moment, been trying for about 1 and a half hour, but i am having damn fun trying anyway :P

Do any of you guys which are further a long have any tips for me ? anything would be useful.

You can not kill him right now. Wait a bit more. Move on. When you do fight him later on aim for the glowing heart. 
    ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ToxicFruit

@The_Laughing_Man: @BraveToaster: Ok.

Will he still be there once i have leveled a bit ?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Tfruit said:

Everything respawns.  

Edit 

Mostly
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

It's possible to do it at your level for sure, but it might be more pain then it's worth. I recommend waiting a bit like others.

The fight is basically all about doing as much damage to the heart as possible (while surviving the attacks and the damge), so a lot will depend on your available weapons and abilities. Ice/Holy does well against the heart. At lower levels try to go in with plenty of stamina buff/restoration potions as they will greatly help you hold on to his chest and just keep wailing away at the heart if you're melee. But if your weapons are not up to par it will take a long time. One of the best abilities vs. the drake as a Mystic Knight is Abyssal Anguish sword buff, it's huge, making you do way way more damage to the heart because of the way hitdetection works, registering multiple hits for every swing.

First time I downed him (about 30ish) I was at a point in the game when everything was becoming less of a challange so i had oodles of excess potions to waste anyway, so it helped me clean out my inv a bit :P

For more basic strategies:

• as a melee class, try to hang out almost right next to his heart at most times, not only to do damage but it's also one of the safest places to be, he can't hit you or grab you there.
    • when he starts a fire breath + back ing up again keeping next to his heart you will stay under flames
    • if he grabs a pawn and starts brainwashing them enough damage to the heart will make him release them
    • no need to bother healing the pawns, just rez them from time to time when 2 or more are down
    • when the drake starts flailing about and lashing out a shield block can leave you completely unharmed
    • if he flies up and your ranged pawns suck (which they probably do at those lvls) you need to run up grab his tail and climb to the heart to wack at it (where again stamina potions/food/buffs come in handy)

That's about it, at that point it's a battle of attrition.

As you level up and get better gear/abilities it will get easier and easier to kill him. At the point I'm at lvl 45ish MK with a decent weapon and Abyssal Anguish I can kill the drake under 60 seconds without him ever taking off the ground and all my party at full health.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

@Tfruit said:

He respawns every 5 days or so.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Sterling

Makers Finger.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

@BraveToaster said:

@Tfruit said:

He respawns every 5 days or so.

By the way is it me or does the game not always leave you at the same time of day when you select rest till morning option, there were times when it left me in the middle of the day or even in the evening, especially when resting several times in a row. It's really weird why they do this :/

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

@Tennmuerti: Sometimes it leaves me just before day break, and others leave me at midday.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

@oulzac said:

Makers Finger.

Middle one.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sterling

@Tennmuerti: Its a special arrow that only Rangers can use (requires a long bow). It cost ~300K (depending on your relestion level with Fornavale). It one hit kills most things. It will one hit kill the Drake.

So yes, I guess it is the middle one. ha

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By musubi

I'm level 64 and Drakes still give me a run for my money. The trick is to expose their heart and beat the ever living fuck out of it. Having ranged skills help a ton. Its possible to kill him but I'd suggest taking a couple dozen spring waters for healing.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

@oulzac said:

@Tennmuerti: Its a special arrow that only Rangers can use (requires a long bow). It cost ~300K (depending on your relestion level with Fornavale). It one hit kills most things. It will one hit kill the Drake.

Yea i've seen it :P

BTW does is work on Ur or no?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sterling

@Tennmuerti: You can use it on him, but it does not one hit kill him. It actually only takes 3/4 of a single health bar. He has so many damn hit points.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ToxicFruit

I gave up after almost 4 hours xD I will come back for this bastard !

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thomasnash

I had to pawns with greater glacil (I think that's what it's called, it summons up loads of ice pillars) and that was what did it for me. It takes a while for them to cast so you spend a lot of time rezzing them, but if they manage to get one off it takes away one health bar at least, I guess because it comes up from underneath and always hits the heart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.