So, Loot?

#1 Posted by Daiphyer (1351 posts) -

In the quick look Patrick mentioned that there isn't much in the way of loot except potions and stuff, while in the GT and IGN (I think) review they mentioned the incentive to go out exploring for loot. So my question to those who have played it, how's the loot? Are there many weapons/gear to get? Also, I keep hearing about gaining new "abilities" when you level up, what are those abilities? PS: Is there anyway to turn off the widescreen weirdness? Thanks duders.

#2 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

There is definitely loot. It just is not a loot game in the way Diablo is. Much closer to a slightly more limited Dark Souls or Skyrim as far as loot goes.

You can apply 3 skills for each weapon or shield.(sword- Dash attack, bow- a strong sniper shot, Magic Staff- fireball) as well as some permanent upgrades (hold Y for a stronger attack) and passive buffs. You purchase these skills with experience you get for leveling up with more choices being unlocked as you level up your class.

You cannot turn off the widescreen.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

If you're curious about the abilities, I recommend you check out a few of the videos on Campcom Unity's YouTube channel. They explain items/skills very well in the videos.

#4 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I assume they're not randomly imbued with properties like Diablo, but deep is the weaponry grouping? Are there progressively stronger material subsets like iron, steel, silver, etc? Varied types in the same weapon group (ie swords would be shortsword, longsword, broadsword, rapier, etc)? Say I have a silver crossbow; would I be able to search the world to find a crystal crossbow in some random chest?

#5 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

i'm only level 21 atm, but so far there's not much to find other than raw materials that you can use to Enhance weapons you can buy at the shops.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

It sucks that they took crafting out of the game. It would've been nice to save money.

#7 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

@Marz said:

i'm only level 21 atm, but so far there's not much to find other than raw materials that you can use to Enhance weapons you can buy at the shops.

This really. Each enemy seems like it only drops one item. Monsters seems like they drop stuff to Enhance weapsons while enemy Humans (Bandits for example) drop gold. There are some chests around the world and they just have one item in them.@BraveToaster said:

It sucks that they took crafting out of the game. It would've been nice to save money.

The really good weapons are quite expensive. I just bought the first Longsword in the game and it cost me over 20k gold. Having gold saved is handy. Plus you need gold to rest at Inns as well and that's usually 300 to 500 gold.

#8 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

I may have to use the zoom function on my TV to get rid of those black bars when my copy comes in the mail. Although I'm sure you get used to it I guess.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

@benspyda said:

I may have to use the zoom function on my TV to get rid of those black bars when my copy comes in the mail. Although I'm sure you get used to it I guess.

Yeah, you get used to them. It's a bummer they are there, but whateves.

#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@JJOR64: I was planning to craft weapons/armor and use my money to stock up on healing items. Money isn't difficult to come by, especially when you can sell the materials you don't need.

#11 Posted by Holl6425 (13 posts) -

I can't seem to find any really good looking gear. I know it's just aesthetics but it helps me to better immerse myself in the game. I've basically been exploring, fighting, and picking up random quests more so than following the following the story questline. I guess that's the only way to get decent looking gear.

#12 Posted by Karkarov (3273 posts) -

For those of you looking for loot 1: The good stuff all comes from hard to reach places you have to fight serious stuff to get to. 2: It all comes from chests, not drops off mobs. For example.... maybe you might want to visit bluemoon tower and try exploring it? It is the place patrick goes in the quick look but he basically just runs away from everything and explores nothing. A lot of it is stuff you can eventually buy but it is all prohibitively expensive (like 100k+) but there is some really nice stuff to be sure. Bear in mind that is just an example, there are other places you can go.

If you want the best stuff you have to kill the Ur Dragon.

#13 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

So far I only ran into healing items and materials for crafting as loot. Weapons and gear seem to be rare for me... or the developers just want you to upgrade your current gear instead of often swapping it with newer stuff.

#14 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

oh there's loot just not 50 belt every 2 steps.

#15 Posted by Holl6425 (13 posts) -

I've looked at other pawns at my current level and they pretty much have the same gear that I do. I actually like the fact that there is more of a focus on combat skill and party configuration/coordination than crafting an overpowered one shot weapon or God Mode Armor. I got caught up in those types of videos when I purchased Skyrim and it totally ruined the game for me.

#16 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

There's rare drops in chest and such gear will usually say "It's rare and very valuable" or something right in the description. Off the top of my mind I've found a scale bracer and scale boots.

#17 Edited by snowninja845 (43 posts) -

So far I have found 3 fire enchanted weapons, alot of armor and those leg pieces the magick archer has in the change vocation menu, they're my favorite so far.

#18 Posted by fr0stb1te (71 posts) -

All the rare equipment is in a predetermined spot somewhere in the game.

The best spot I've found for gear is the Soulflayer Cavern. Got an awesome 2H hammer, two magic bows, and various pieces of armor that are not found in shops. It's not just the chests in the area, it's also the other loot points such as the ones with the sword stuck in the ground surrounded by equipment. Also, to the right of the eastern entrance to soulflayer cavern is a ledge on the mountainside with a chest containing a pretty great mage staff. Explore explore explore.

Aside from exploration, what I've read seems to point to message board quests being a good source of rare weaponry.

#19 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@fr0stb1te said:

All the rare equipment is in a predetermined spot somewhere in the game.

The best spot I've found for gear is the Soulflayer Cavern. Got an awesome 2H hammer, two magic bows, and various pieces of armor that are not found in shops. It's not just the chests in the area, it's also the other loot points such as the ones with the sword stuck in the ground surrounded by equipment. Also, to the right of the eastern entrance to soulflayer cavern is a ledge on the mountainside with a chest containing a pretty great mage staff. Explore explore explore.

Aside from exploration, what I've read seems to point to message board quests being a good source of rare weaponry.

Where the hell is Soulflayer? I have a quest there and have no idea where it is. 
#20 Posted by snowninja845 (43 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Where the hell is Soulflayer? I have a quest there and have no idea where it is.

It's on the path to the greatwall if I'm correct.

#21 Edited by fr0stb1te (71 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: To the west by northwest of Gran Sorren, here's a map.

To be more specific, leave Gran Sorren, head north across the bridge, then head northwest. Hug the mountainside and you'll eventually find it. You need to travel up through the mountains a bit.

#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Whenever you set that quest as a priority, there are red circles on the map telling you where to go. You can't miss it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.