Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Too "western" for it's own good?

• 63 results
    Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Peanut

I love that there's no fast travel, but at the same time I'm tired of heading up through the mountain pass and running into that same group of goblins, or the bandits just outside the gates of Gran Soren, or the wolves all over the path to the Witchwood. It's the annoyance of low level mobs that bug me the most.

I wish that you could "clear" areas of land, much the way you clear out the quarry and then have a safe route from Gran Soren to the Shadow Fort. I think it would be neat if after putting in a bunch of time in an area and clearing out a bunch of quests, you stop getting those low level encounters and are given the option to hire a wagon or something to move to the edges of that area quickly. Even if it was all in-game (like GTAIV's optional taxi rides) and not your typical "warp" fast-travel. Maybe you'd still get the big "Ambush" encounters in these safe areas every so often, but you wouldn't have to deal with the 6 obnoxious harpies every time you cross the bridge by the castle.

There could have always been the option to warp using Riftstones, too. Then you'd just be flitting between found safe locations, which would be an alright solution.

Mintee10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Mintee10

For fu-....fine, whatever, I give up. I'm clearly on my own here so... that's that then.

I actually both agree and disagree with you.

I welcome the idea of no fast travel...in a world where you need to simply be prepared it works...but like you said, the game is too damn easy if you've done even 10 side quests...it really soured the experience for me and I'm left feeling disappointed. I still love this game for what it did and what it's likely still trying to do.

Also I like that idea of having a horse for hire (or anything like it) at key locations...need to get there faster? Pay up! :D

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Karkarov

@Yummylee said:

@rebgav said:

Hey guys, I haven't played this game yet but I have a question; How many of this game's problems could be glossed-over or resolved completely by allowing you to hire established Capcom characters as pawns? Medieval Ryu, Medieval Megaman, Medieval Rad Spencer. Just think about it. It would be pretty great, right?

I did see an impressive pawnerification of Kratos - on the 360 version ironically enough. Also never mind the user-base, even CAPCOM have started releasing some currently less-than-famous-faces like Lady from DMC in the ''special pawns'' recruitment category. I imagine it's only a matter of time whether the user-base catches up if not CAPCOM release them themselves until you can have Wesker, Arthur (there's an easy one) and Ken at your back.

But gettin' srs for a moment, I think Dragon's Dogma is a tough proposition. It almost reminds me of Far Cry 2 with its flimsy narrative, open-world that's just a little too open, nonsensical fast-travel system and the resulting 'hate it or love it' reception. But like Far Cry 2, the combat may just be good enough, along with the allure of finding and buying new stuff, that you'll able to look past the warts and try to focus on the good stuff. That's the way I feel anywhoo, and I think Far Cry 2 (which I also liked) is an especially fitting game to compare to better explain my point.

I have seen player made versions of Princess Zelda, Mystique from the X-Men, Chuck Norris (no really), Leon Kennedy, Geralt of Rivia, Zangeif, and a bunch of others. They all also looked pretty darn close too. The Geralt I saw was actually almost perfect.

As for Fast travel, it is fixed in newgame+. The story and such is actually there, and it is even thought provoking in some ways and sort of cool. The problem is a very large portion of it is told in side quests and npc conversations that are insanely easy to completely miss. For example one of the coolest and most interesting side quests when you consider plot, not to mention an entire section of one dungeon, is completely blocked off to you if you miss one quest very early in the game before you go to Gran Soren the first time.

The games strength is definitely the combat though (one of the best combat RPG's ever made), the boss fights (Dragon fight is easily the best boss fight I have seen in years if not ever), and character customization/class system. It does those three things better than any other open world RPG I have ever played.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By benspyda

If it wasn't for Diablo I would have spent more than an hour playing this game. Real bad timing capcom! I promise I will come back to you. Maybe they will have patched in a fast travel option by then... we can dream.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Karkarov

@benspyda said:

If it wasn't for Diablo I would have spent more than an hour playing this game. Real bad timing capcom! I promise I will come back to you. Maybe they will have patched in a fast travel option by then... we can dream.

Like I said, the game has fast travel in it. It is just limited in the first playthrough. In new game+ you can set up as many fast travel points as you want.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By VanderSEXXX

I'm really enjoying this game now. I couldn't even stop playing and I'm always restless to get off work to play this now. It's been a very long time since I got so hooked in a console game such as this. So yeah I like this game just fine.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Bravestar

@VanderSEXXX said:

I'm really enjoying this game now. I couldn't even stop playing and I'm always restless to get off work to play this now. It's been a very long time since I got so hooked in a console game such as this. So yeah I like this game just fine.

yeah, it's been a looong time for me too, since I got hooked like this(I'd guess the last time was shen-mue). the only problem I have with the game is that I have to take day long breaks, because when I start playing this, I woun't stop(in NG+ and I discover new stuff and quests every time, it's crazy).

@Karkarov said:

The story and such is actually there, and it is even thought provoking in some ways and sort of cool. The problem is a very large portion of it is told in side quests and npc conversations that are insanely easy to completely miss. For example one of the coolest and most interesting side quests when you consider plot, not to mention an entire section of one dungeon, is completely blocked off to you if you miss one quest very early in the game before you go to Gran Soren the first time.

I don't think it's a problem. I like that not everything is spoon-fed to you and you have to discover it(keeps NG+ interesting). maybe I'm just a different generation and I don't need everything explained to me and I don't need to be teleported around to enjoy a game.

milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By milsvaard

I don't know if this game is going after the Skyrim money, I think this game goes a different rout. Skyrim was all about the story, combat was garbage and this game is all about the combat, the story is non-existant. I prefer games that are expertly executed as this game, the gameplay is fun and gives me reasons to keep playing. Once I finished Skyrim, there was no reason to keep playing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#59  Edited By Yummylee

@Bravestar said:

@Karkarov said:

The story and such is actually there, and it is even thought provoking in some ways and sort of cool. The problem is a very large portion of it is told in side quests and npc conversations that are insanely easy to completely miss. For example one of the coolest and most interesting side quests when you consider plot, not to mention an entire section of one dungeon, is completely blocked off to you if you miss one quest very early in the game before you go to Gran Soren the first time.

I don't think it's a problem. I like that not everything is spoon-fed to you and you have to discover it(keeps NG+ interesting). maybe I'm just a different generation and I don't need everything explained to me and I don't need to be teleported around to enjoy a game.

I love how you're implying that, anyone who thinks that the game lacking any reliable sort of fast-travel/transportation mechanic is terrible, is because we all just want everything to be 'spoon fed' and explained to us. Goddamn ADD n00b generation with their CoDs, amiright?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Karkarov

@Yummylee said:

@Bravestar said:

@Karkarov said:

I love how you're implying that, anyone who thinks that the game lacking any reliable sort of fast-travel/transportation mechanic is terrible, is because we all just want everything to be 'spoon fed' and explained to us. Goddamn ADD n00b generation with their CoDs, amiright?

I agree that Fast Travel needs work in the game but I don't think it is game breaking or anything. Even Morrowind had fast travel for example just it was far more limited than say Skyrim. I am sure that is something they will address when/if there is a sequel and I hope there is.

As for how the story is handled I have no issue with that either since it encourages exploration and being a completionist to make sure you haven't missed a thing. However.... When missing one sort of boring but okay quest not only locks you out of 2-3 really cools ones later but blocks off an entire section of a dungeon FOR THE ENTIRE GAME it is a bit much. Especially when that section of dungeon contains gathering items that can be found no where else which are needed for loot upgrades, other quests, and item combining plus has the only spawn point for a VERY rare monster that is found no where else in the game except for the Everfall well... Maybe that is a bit much of a penalty for missing one whole quest in the first two hours you think?

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Bravestar

@Yummylee: if you want to read that into that, ok. though I don't think you have ADD. otherwise I don't think you would have the patience to hover over this thread to chime in on every fast travel comment.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#62  Edited By Yummylee

@Bravestar said:

@Yummylee: if you want to read that into that, ok. though I don't think you have ADD. otherwise I don't think you would have the patience to hover over this thread to chime in on every fast travel comment.

Here we go, trying to spin it around as if I'm the unreasonable one here. You said it yourself, ''maybe I'm just a different generation and I don't need everything explained to me and I don't need to be teleported around to enjoy a game''.

Also I'm not 'hovering' this thread, your comment for some reason acted as a reply to me, so I replied back.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bravestar

@Yummylee: I don't remember quoting you, sooo I dunno. calm down?

I don't get how I spin things around or how my comments for some reason act someway, but at the same time I don't really want to know. sorry dude.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.