Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Ur-Dragon Thread

Eckshale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eckshale

The repeatable "secret" boss.

It's been fun farming this guy, did a few online sessions for him but it's just annoying having brought him down a bar or two then getting a drake that has hardly been damaged at all.

And when you get one with low health people always leave the annoying spots for last i.e tail, wings and head. So I've been trying out the offline version for a few runs now besides you getting

less weapon and armor drops and no 100% dragonforge chance there doesn't seem to be any difference in what he drops. Also you can get a kill way faster when offline, been doing him in one

run a couple of times now. What version do you prefer?

I have been using a pawnless spec for reasons including that the pawns are morons and just keep dying. What setups and vocations do you guys prefer?

Also has anyone gotten a bow from him yet? I have gotten all types of weapons at this point except for those, are there no bows to get?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

I've only received Saving Grace from him. If you're fighting it online, the more you encounter the same generation Ur-Dragon, the more loot you receive when it's killed.

Eckshale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Eckshale

@BraveToaster said:

I've only received Saving Grace from him. If you're fighting it online, the more you encounter the same generation Ur-Dragon, the more loot you receive when it's killed.

Not sure, have been getting 8 pieces of gear from him when getting online killing blows which is how it mostly ends.

All of which have been from the dragon spawning with all damage spots at 1 hp, heard someone saying it gets that way due to someone using a save hack.

While it's nice to get a bunch of loot it just isn't that much fun.

Also isn't Saving Grace a vendor item? You mean Dwells-in-light i think.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

@Eckshale said:

@BraveToaster said:

Not sure, have been getting 8 pieces of gear from him when getting online killing blows which is how it mostly ends.

All of which have been from the dragon spawning with all damage spots at 1 hp, heard someone saying it gets that way due to someone using a save hack.

While it's nice to get a bunch of loot it just isn't that much fun.

Also isn't Saving Grace a vendor item? You mean Dwells-in-light i think.

Yeah, Dwells-in-Light. I haven't been lucky enough to encounter it on its last health bar. Is any of the gear you received from killing him valuable?

Eckshale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eckshale

The armor set you get from him "Abbyssinal" has great stats for it's weight and is usable by all. The masks have the same debilitation resistances but differ in their elemental resistance, I think they have Holy and a elemental resist.

One runs usually gets me about a mil and a half in coin too. Oh and i have yet to see a single mask or piece of armor drop in offline yet while i have gotten the full set + one mask when i get online kills.

fahrenheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By fahrenheit

I got the skill on Ur Dragon 25, I got the Abbyssinal set which is cool but I like my + strength states of my current set. Also got everything but the daggers and arch staff, which is the only gear I really wanted anyways. Also got the Apollo mask which is cool looking on my pawn.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

finally got my first Ur on 56 earlier today. Got Heaven's Key Lambent and Beowulf Mask + Abbysinal of course (and some stuff that isn't coming to mind), and since my pawn is a fighter and I'm rocking magick archer that was pretty cool. Plus, I was ready to go into NG+ endgame so I got all of that DF'd by the end boss.

Now time to do some serious Ur runs. God I love this game.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

@Fahrenheit said:

I got the skill on Ur Dragon 25, I got the Abbyssinal set which is cool but I like my + strength states of my current set. Also got everything but the daggers and arch staff, which is the only gear I really wanted anyways. Also got the Apollo mask which is cool looking on my pawn.

Are the daggers you're referring to called Heaven's Key? I managed to get two sets. They're easy to upgrade for such a strong weapon.

fahrenheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fahrenheit
    @BraveToaster

@Fahrenheit said:

Are the daggers you're refferring to called Heaven's Key? I managed to get to sets. They're easy to upgrade for such a strong weapon.

Yeah, at some point i'm gonna farm for them but right now I'm taking a break on this game. Got 70hrs into this game already.
    Eckshale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eckshale

There has to be some form of scaling on the online dragon, a while ago i got in on a fresh drake and managed to take off 3 bars in one go.

My stats at that point where ~1400 str and ~1000 magic attack.

Just did a run now and took away maybe a quarter of a bar.

My current stats where ~4000 str and ~2600 magic.

Could it have to do with how many people are fighting the dragon? i.e. the less people there are to fight him the weaker he'll be so that he won't be impossible when most people stop playing the game.

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By jessej07

Can I ask some dumb, simple, questions?

Where is the Ur Dragon? And what level minimum do you recommend going up against him?

I'm level 41 and can't even beat one of those freaking eyeball monsters... I think I've lost my way in this game or I need to spend some time travelling and leveling up before I can get those 20 wakestones.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bravestar

@Eckshale said:

less weapon and armor drops and no 100% dragonforge chance there doesn't seem to be any difference in what he drops.

I read he doesn't drop any masks and not a full set of armour.

and when every weakspot only has 1hp left, it's because someone defeated him. it takes like 10 minutes for the server to update and realise it's actually dead. that way a bunch of people get the last hit.

@jessej07: he is in the Chamber of Lament. in NG+ you can access him through a stone at the beach. lvl41 sounds a bit low, but I'm no ur-dragon pro, so good luck.

Eckshale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eckshale

@Bravestar said:

@Eckshale said:

less weapon and armor drops and no 100% dragonforge chance there doesn't seem to be any difference in what he drops.

I read he doesn't drop any masks and not a full set of armour.

and when every weakspot only has 1hp left, it's because someone defeated him. it takes like 10 minutes for the server to update and realise it's actually dead. that way a bunch of people get the last hit.

@jessej07: he is in the Chamber of Lament. in NG+ you can access him through a stone at the beach. lvl41 sounds a bit low, but I'm no ur-dragon pro, so good luck.

Yeah, looked it up and he can only drop 3 of his weapons when killing him offline.

I don't know what the glitch is there is supposed to be one but that isn't it then i guess.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@jessej07: Yikes, I would go spend some time at Bluemoon Tower or doing the Everfall chambers with the basic snow harpies and stuff. I think I was around mid to late 50's when I first got to the Everfall and the first evil eye I fought was pretty annoying. Just go in with some panacea and you'll be fine. Once they're knocked down they're dead unless your damage is terrible.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'll be brutally honest I highly highly dislike the Ur-dragon design as a boss and as an online gimick.

First of all as a boss he penalises melee characetrs severely, not only do a lot of his weakpoints take a while to reach but when he frenzies trying to reach certain far away hearts is just stupid with the dragon throwing you off constantly. Secondly he will periodically fly to his perch where you cant do shit to him period as melee. Thirdly his hearts on the wing claws can't be reached as melee either, because you can't climb the wings they are clipthrough and you have to resort to something like the grand cannon or sitting on the wing joint trying to hit thr heart from time to time when the wing is close. The melee feels so ridiculous against him, at one time i took away half his total health in one go, another not a single pip, because he was either perched, flying or shaking me off all the time at distant hearts.

Likewise his flying away mechanic is duuuumb, let me just wail away at the dude, instead you have to go out, fly through and reload again, sigh. If i'm lacking supplies i can jsut run out to the entrance.

And pawns the mainstay of the game throughought suddenly become complete deadweight. So much so that most people (at least for online version) are just switchign to assassin builds in order to ge 140% power boost for free, gee fuck being funneled into that.

At least offline he feels like a boss, you kill him - done.

Online it feels pointless because you are barely doing any damage at all yourself and brely moving the health bars. I feel like my MK does decent damage I can kill a drake in about 30 seconds without it even taking off and do no problem agaisnt offline Ur, but online I can barely move his health bar down past one pip (mind you I am not even talking get an entire health bar down jsut moving it a centimetre). It jsut super fucking boring, pawns are useless, I'm doing barely ane damage, will drink a pot once or twice and just grab onto a heart for 10 mins wailing away monotonously untill he decided it's time for a break. I've been at it for about 2 hours now and his health decreased probably 2 pips, and not much of it was me. At this point killing Ur online for me is either a grind, or trying to luck out on when I think he will be already at low health.

So in conclusion, fuck that. I already killed him offline, and if i dont see him go down online today i'm finishing the game and putting it on a shelf. Not worth the time.

Edit: yep just came back and his health went up for the second time, it's been 4 hours wailign away at the online version and in total it started at 4 pips and is now back at 4 pips, awesome...

Eckshale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eckshale

Yeah, would've liked it more if they had handled the online dragon in a more coherent way.

Like if you couldn't end up with a dragon that has less HP than the one you sent away.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

Boy oh boy what a mess.

So I went to try an get online Ur down yesterday as I wrote earlier and this is kind of a continuation on that.

Started at about 20:00 local, Ur was at 5 pips of health, from then on I would make a run on him about every half hour to an hour and his health would go up and down at one point of about midnight it reached 2, I zone in an hour later he is back to 4 pips of health with regenerated hearts zzzzzzz. basically this went on until about 0400 my time (europe) with hardly any progress. The mechanic of him getting health back when some other muppet dies is insane! Especially when you are trying to grind away at his health for ages for so little effect then boom, all for nothing.

6 hours of almost no progress

Then at about 5am his health actually started to noticeably decrease between sessions. At about 5:30 I zoned in and he was at the last full bar of his health. So I wack at him for the next 10 mins until he flies away (taking away about a sliver of health). Rezone pretty much instantly and he is basically at 0 health with every heart requiring only 1 wack. Gee that was fun! Americans came back from school/work and he gets zerged.

The approach of you not mattering at all as an individual and not being able to make any progress that matters for hours and hours. Only for Ur to get zerged when a critical mass of people logs in. With any lucky person to be there at the time spending almost no effort at all and getting insane loot (i got like 4 weapons, armor set and mask as standard). I've seen a level 40 on that killboard

This is pretty much exactly why I made a post before the game came out saying that their online boss gimmick has a huge number of potential ways of being fucked up.

And people said I was crazy. Yea...

Done with Everfall fuck it, gonna start a newgame+ and try out some ranged classes for funzies

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Tennmuerti said:

Likewise his flying away mechanic is duuuumb, let me just wail away at the dude, instead you have to go out, fly through and reload again, sigh. If i'm lacking supplies i can jsut run out to the entrance.

And pawns the mainstay of the game throughought suddenly become complete deadweight. So much so that most people (at least for online version) are just switchign to assassin builds in order to ge 140% power boost for free, gee fuck being funneled into that.

Online it feels pointless because you are barely doing any damage at all yourself and brely moving the health bars. I feel like my MK does decent damage I can kill a drake in about 30 seconds without it even taking off and do no problem agaisnt offline Ur, but online I can barely move his health bar down past one pip (mind you I am not even talking get an entire health bar down jsut moving it a centimetre). It jsut super fucking boring, pawns are useless, I'm doing barely ane damage, will drink a pot once or twice and just grab onto a heart for 10 mins wailing away monotonously untill he decided it's time for a break. I've been at it for about 2 hours now and his health decreased probably 2 pips, and not much of it was me. At this point killing Ur online for me is either a grind, or trying to luck out on when I think he will be already at low health.

Edit: yep just came back and his health went up for the second time, it's been 4 hours wailign away at the online version and in total it started at 4 pips and is now back at 4 pips, awesome...

So, here's the thing:

- He flies away every 8 minutes so you can go restock. If you begin the fight, and leave before those 8 minutes are up, he regenerates health. That's right, because you left the fight early, he just regenerated health, making the fight longer for you and everybody else. (Online version only, of course)

- Pawns have been incredibly useful for me, they are not dead weight if you have the right pawns. You are not being funneled into anything.

- The online Ur-Dragon is being fought by every other owner of a Dragon's Dogma copy, and since the level cap is 200, it's going to need a lot of health and defense to make it an actual challenge. That being said, if you're doing little to no damage, I can guarantee one of two things:

1) You're not hitting the weak spots.

2) You're too weak for the online fight.

All that being said, I agree with your other points.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov

@Tennmuerti said:

This is pretty much exactly why I made a post before the game came out saying that their online boss gimmick has a huge number of potential ways of being fucked up.

Uh actually I agreed with you and made a similar post on capcoms official dragons dogma forums ;p. Just sayin.

As for his loot, yeah, he only drops like one of 5 potential weapons offline, randomly dragon forges some gear, drops 20 wakestones, and a couple ferrystones. So offline you get no armor and no masks.

Online he drops 4 weapons of a god awful huge number, one "mask" (read: the best helms in the game), and one full abyssinal set (read: best armor in the game). Not to mention he dragon forges every piece of gear you are wearing that isn't already that way, drops 20 wakestones, and possibly a bunch of ferrystones. As for weapons he drops the best in slot for all weapon classes EXCEPT the three different types of bows. Funny thing though is all three of the best in slot bows can be bought off vendors scattered around the Everfall. One of them is in the Chamber of Remorse the other in the Chamber of Abandonment.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

@LikeaSsur said:

Ummm, not sure why you are telling me most of this this, I'm well aware of all the mechanics. :P

My comment towards the fight timer was directed more at the offline version, where it just prolongs the fight pointlessly, since they could just as easily allow you to walk out to restock if you wanted OR not allow you to restock period, come prepared or too bad it's a special boss man up. When you are taking almost no damage from him and can dish out a lot in return the fly away mechanic is a pain in the ass.

Pawns are useless relative to the damage the player can dish out, they are also always taking way more damage being the dumbasses they are. Even pawns with good setups and Ur experience aren't worth the bother of resurrecting, I'd rather stay up on the dragon and keep doing actual damage, then waste time and stamina running around picking up their asses off the ground.

As far as online Ur goes:

I am always hitting the weak spots, i can bring down offline Ur dragon's health down almost completely in one encounter for example. Trust me i'm not some dumbass not hitting the spots.

The issue is that due to online Ur having insane hp individual damage almost doesn't matter. The fight is screwed up because normally your damage is all but useless online as a single person, yet someone dying/quiting will make his health go up for everyone. Furthermore all one needs to do is visit online Ur from time to time to check up on his health, and then piggybank on the last 10 minutes of the fight when all his hearts become 1hp and get insane loot, you can be at an extremely low level while doing this too.

@Karkarov said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Uh actually I agreed with you and made a similar post on capcoms official dragons dogma forums ;p. Just sayin.

Thanks for the support, I just felt like mentioning this because a lot of people at the time jumped on my criticizing comments when online Ur encounter was revealed.

Eckshale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Eckshale

@LikeaSsur said:

- He flies away every 8 minutes so you can go restock. If you begin the fight, and leave before those 8 minutes are up, he regenerates health. That's right, because you left the fight early, he just regenerated health, making the fight longer for you and everybody else. (Online version only, of course)

I guess that would include people only coming in to check on his health then leaving. If that is a trend then no wonder he keeps getting tons of health back all the time.

Also sometimes he does take more damage than other times, does he grow in resilience as more people visit him i wonder?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Eckshale said:

@LikeaSsur said:

I guess that would include people only coming in to check on his health then leaving. If that is a trend then no wonder he keeps getting tons of health back all the time.

Also sometimes he does take more damage than other times, does he grow in resilience as more people visit him i wonder?

Problem with that theory is that you only heal him for a portion of your health according to sources. Even a 125% of a players HP is an insignificant amount, with avarage 80ish health being in the ballpark of 2-3k , this is just 2 standard attacks at most for people that level, for some builds this is not even a single attack. A completely trivial amount of healing. You would need a player leaving/dying every couple of seconds just to balance out the damage of a single mediocre player, get into 10-20 people wacking at him simultaneously and you are already looking at an unrealistic people leaving/dying per second to amke any sort of impact.

But I'm currently very sceptical on quite a lot of mechanics of Ur.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karkarov

@Tennmuerti said:

Problem with that theory is that you only heal him for a portion of your health according to sources. Even a 125% of a players HP is an insignificant amount, with avarage 80ish health being in the ballpark of 2-3k , this is just 2 standard attacks at most for people that level, for some builds this is not even a single attack. A completely trivial amount of healing. You would need a player leaving/dying every couple of seconds just to balance out the damage of a single mediocre player, get into 10-20 people wacking at him simultaneously and you are already looking at an unrealistic people leaving/dying per second to make any sort of impact.

But I'm currently very sceptical on quite a lot of mechanics of Ur.

Well you aren't accounting for the Ur Dragon's defense. Just because you may hit for 2k strength doesn't mean you actually do 2k on a hit. Also he scales based on how fast he is dieing/how many people are hitting him so you never really know how much HP gain/defense is coming from a new scaling rule applying. There is just too much crap to factor in to really have a complete understanding of what the H is going on short of capcom straight out revealing the numbers.

blt1684

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blt1684

Geez guys what's the deal I quit after ten rounds on gen 36 last night at 2 am, after only seeing a bar of health be depleted only to have it appear again this morning. Is anyone actually concerned with beating him, or are people just focused on keeping him on life support. If u don't have any wake stones, and ur low level plz wait until you do. I know this has been posted numerable times, so u would think it would make a difference by now. Btw I have tons of stuff for trade, but just not sure how to do it.

Holl6425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Holl6425

Noob question. Where is this Ur boss? Is it only available NG+? I killed the dragon and am currently workin on Everfall dungeons.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karkarov

@Holl6425 said:

Noob question. Where is this Ur boss? Is it only available NG+? I killed the dragon and am currently workin on Everfall dungeons.

He is in the Everfall but once you move into NG+ he is available from a special riftstone at Starfall Cove inside Cassardis.

@blt1684: Yeap. Been doing one run on him every 2-4 hours today since it is one of my days off and hoping to finally get an online killing blow. Today 360 Ur has basically stayed the same HP since around 12 noon EST.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Blind_Evil

I got so lucky, killed Gen 34 on my third try. I could literally see no red on his health bar when I spawned in.

The rewards weren't as amazing as I'd hoped, weapon-wise. The Abyssinal (sp?) armor was pretty nice, though.

Kind of a shame I beat him so quickly, kind of killed my desire to do more end-game delving.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karkarov

@Blind_Evil said:

I got so lucky, killed Gen 34 on my third try. I could literally see no red on his health bar when I spawned in.

The rewards weren't as amazing as I'd hoped, weapon-wise. The Abyssinal (sp?) armor was pretty nice, though.

Kind of a shame I beat him so quickly, kind of killed my desire to do more end-game delving.

Waaahhh? He drops 1 of every single best in slot weapon in the game except for the bows and you weren't impressed with his weapon drops?

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Blind_Evil

@Karkarov: That's not what I got. I got about 25 wakestones, a two-handed mace and sword that are gold and white, a similarly colored staff and archistaff, and a full set of Abyssinal Armor. I could look up the names, but I know I saw a better staff on the vendor in the Chamber of Remorse.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karkarov

@Blind_Evil said:

@Karkarov: That's not what I got. I got about 25 wakestones, a two-handed mace and sword that are gold and white, a similarly colored staff and archistaff, and a full set of Abyssinal Armor. I could look up the names, but I know I saw a better staff on the vendor in the Chamber of Remorse.

Uh sort of. Frigid finger does "slightly" more damage at Dragon forge than Volant White does (we are talking 7 whole points).... However it also weighs three times more if you care about that, does a few points less physical damage (ie "bolts"), and has noticeably less stagger and knockdown power. Also Volant White is always on holy element which is useful against a range of enemies, Frigid Finger.... not so much.

So yeah, it does a tiny bit more damage but loses in literally every other category.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.