Draw Something CEO trashes ex-employee. Public backlash ensues.

• 60 results
#1 Edited by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Credit to NeoGaf and Reddit for this one, but it's bound to end up everywhere. Shay Pierce, an ex-employee of OMGPOP, decided to leave the company after not agreeing to the new Zynga contract. Recently, Dan Porter, CEO of the company, said some pretty slimy things about Pierce:

As you'd expect, people were furious about his comments. Do any of you use Draw Something? Does Porter's comment change your opinion of the game and the company? It's amazing to see people turn on a game so quickly. I'm looking forward to hear Whitta talk about this whole mess on a podcast.

#2 Posted by Legendary (139 posts) -

At least he didn't say Japanese games suck.

But seriously, that's fucked up.

#3 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (740 posts) -

I bought it before these comments came about.

Still deleting.

#4 Posted by Jimbo (9936 posts) -

Classy.

#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4741 posts) -

Was he expecting people to side with him or something? It's a dickish comment no matter how far up the totem pole you are, but he's the freakin CEO and not only is that just an absolute no-no for someone in that position, he literally could not have sounded like a bigger asshole.

#6 Posted by RoboRobb (1053 posts) -

Wow what a dick! I may be tempted to delete. That game isn't that great, either.

#7 Posted by paulwade1984 (481 posts) -

The dangers of twitter right there. His new overlords will have something to say about this.

#8 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Wow, way to be an asshole...

#9 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
#10 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

You already paid for the game right? What's the point of deleting it? Unless you're using the free version with ads, in which case it makes total sense.

#11 Posted by OsvaldoMoreno (63 posts) -

@SpikeSpiegel: Was just about to post that. Guess that other guy's behavior gives him an other good reason to not with go Zynga now.

#12 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

You go Gary.

#13 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Just realized it's first of April... But I guess this isn't an April Fools' joke.

#14 Posted by MB (12927 posts) -

@SpikeSpiegel said:

Shay Pierce seems like a really cool guy too. Check out this post by him on Gamasutra.

Yeah, hes a GB user too. Thats pretty cool. I'm not so sure about Dan Porter, so fuck that guy.

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I saw this and it really pissed me off. Good for you, Shay. You obviously made the right decision.

#16 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

"Creator of epic game Draw Something". Really? Calling your own game "epic"?

#17 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

He must be under the influence of something. No one could, in good faith, believe that there would be no backlash after saying something like that.

#18 Posted by allgrinzz (162 posts) -

When this game is nothing but dust in a few months to a year, the next iOS/android mobile craze taking it's place, I'll laugh in wicked glee at this arrogant fool.

Props to Shay though, will definately be keeping an eye out for his work.

#19 Posted by TobbRobb (4818 posts) -

He thought this was a good idea, how exactly? Way to be a dumb dick.

#20 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I see no point in deleting the app since I have already bought it, but I don't think I'll be telling all my friends about it anymore.

#21 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

What a fucking douchebag. Good to know more awful people will joining Zynga to put out more shitty rip offs of games.

#22 Posted by krazy_kyle (715 posts) -

I saw it and thought it looked crap, so I didn't bother.

#23 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

I see no point in mixing personal life with games.That the creator turns out to be a asshole does not make the game any less fun.

Seriously, how many of these haters actually stopped playing LA Noire after all the team bondi hate took off?!? and thats a 60$ game versus a free ios title.

#24 Posted by Dezztroy (852 posts) -

Despicable.

#25 Edited by Benny (1955 posts) -

Zynga, now's your chance to be the the evil corporate overlords we all know you are and drop this ignorant fuck into a shark-pit for having a severe lack of decorum.

#26 Posted by allgrinzz (162 posts) -

Love the fact that in his latest tweet, he's asking people to tell him what's in the Time magazine article about his epic game.. cause he doesn't have a subscription... Go buy it.. with all that wonderful zynga money.. -_-

#27 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1770 posts) -

I was already going to delete Draw Something, so this just gives me more reason to.

#28 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@Questionable said:

I see no point in mixing personal life with games.That the creator turns out to be a asshole does not make the game any less fun.

Seriously, how many of these haters actually stopped playing LA Noire after all the team bondi hate took off?!? and thats a 60$ game versus a free ios title.

This.

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Cash in the pocket, engage asshole mode!

#30 Posted by Jimbo (9936 posts) -
@Questionable said:

Ha, like LA Noire could be made any less fun.
#31 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@Questionable said:

Pretty much this. That guy's clearly a douchebag, but I enjoy the game, so I'm gonna keep playing.

#32 Edited by WalkerTR77 (1390 posts) -

I don'y understand the self righteous 'I'm deleting this' response. If you own the game you've already paid for it, and it's not like this guy is doing nefarious things with your money. Sure he's a massive knob, let him know about it on twitter, but so are most CEO's so there's no need for punishing yourself.

#33 Edited by SlashDance (1841 posts) -

One of my favorite book ever was written by a known racist. I haven't tried the game yet but that comment doesn't really make me not want to.

#34 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

I say play the fuck out of it before zynga gets hold of it and starts microtransacting the fuck out of every element of it.

#35 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Regardless of how you feel about deleting the app, what he said was pretty tactless

#36 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@Rowr said:

I say play the fuck out of it before zynga gets hold of it and starts microtransacting the fuck out of every element of it.

Now you have to pay for every time you take your finger off the screen.

#37 Posted by Andorski (5352 posts) -

Deleting his app does next to nothing, but it's cool to see the industry self-regulate from a moral perspective and stand up for the small guy who got dicked by his former boss.

#38 Edited by KaneRobot (1788 posts) -

@allgrinzz said:

When this game is nothing but dust in a few months to a year, the next iOS/android mobile craze taking it's place, I'll laugh in wicked glee at this arrogant fool.

I'm sure he'll be really worried about you laughing at him when he's sleeping on the pile of money he has already amassed between sales of the game and the Zynga deal.

This is the Bobby Kotick thing again on a smaller scale. People say things like "I'll laugh when Activision collapses due to (insert various reasons) and Kotick is out of there!!" As if Activision someday shitting the bed means Kotick is going to be homeless and broke somewhere. He could buy and sell anyone here multiple times over. It sucks, but that's life. Pricks get rewarded.

#39 Posted by Daiphyer (1350 posts) -

Did he tell Notch to suck his dick?

#40 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

@Questionable said:

Fucking A. No one posted images of them snapping their LA Noire discs in half when the McNamara stuff came out. Why is that? You're the big man standing up for employee rights when it's a 1 dollar game, but when it's 60 you don't give a fuck anymore? Hypocrites.

#41 Posted by Andorski (5352 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Questionable said:

Fucking A. No one posted images of them snapping their LA Noire discs in half when the McNamara stuff came out. Why is that? You're the big man standing up for employee rights when it's a 1 dollar game, but when it's 60 you don't give a fuck anymore? Hypocrites.

McNamara didn't have LA Noire made and then shit on his employees in the public eye. Don't get me wrong, the conflicting reports on LA Noire development made Team Bondi's management and their employees look like asses too, but they didn't revel in their assery. It's like differentiating between a quick stab with the knife and slowing stabbing with a knife while twisting it.

#42 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

The guy seems like a jerk and I definitely think less of him but I still enjoy the game. Good for Shay Pierce for sticking with his own project though.

#43 Posted by PlayPaul (54 posts) -

Dan Porter is already backpedaling, but not by apologizing but by trying to twist his comments. Anyway, always wondered why Draw Something became popular and not Charadium. Still, I'm kinda done with the pictionary idea/concept though.

#44 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -
@Andorski

@Brodehouse said:

@Questionable said:

McNamara didn't have LA Noire made and then shit on his employees in the public eye. Don't get me wrong, the conflicting reports on LA Noire development made Team Bondi's management and their employees look like asses too, but they didn't revel in their assery. It's like differentiating between a quick stab with the knife and slowing stabbing with a knife while twisting it.

Let's actually go through the dialogue between the guy who left and the guy in the company.

"Fuck you."
"No, fuck you."

When a dev leaves
#45 Posted by FTomato (235 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Questionable said:

You mean like removing people from the credits if, despite working on the game, not sticking through all the way to release?

#46 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Andorski said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Questionable said:

You don't know McNamara.  Dude has a rep, one he developed working at Beam Software/Melbourne House/Atari (before they got bought by Krome).  He was always a huge dick and huge dicks rise to dangerous levels of mediocrity on giant waves of egotism and selfish behaviour.  McNamara has thrown many an employee and co-worker under a bus.  This is nothing new.
#47 Posted by Andorski (5352 posts) -

@FTomato said:

@Andorski said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Questionable said:

You mean like removing people from the credits if, despite working on the game, not sticking through all the way to release?

Wasn't that an issue of the game industry in general having requirements to be in credits? I don't know how it works for games, but in the movie industry there is actually a set of standards that must be met to receive credits.

#48 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -
@Brodehouse Goddamn fucking Giant Bomb phone site. No edit button for over a year, how the fuck is that possible?

Anyways, when a dev leaves the company and talks shit about the people in it we cheer. When it's that exact scenario with the roles exchanged, people like Whitta get full of hot air and start a boycott. It's not the behavior they don't like, they just want to fight The Man and this is a convenient avenue. I'm so fucking sick of watching people rage against The Man for no good reason. Because it makes all the very serious and dire reasons to rage against The Man harder to hear among the cacophony.
#49 Posted by Demoskinos (15106 posts) -

Yeah, sometimes its best to just keep your opinions to yourself if you don't wanna deal with the fallout from them. =\

#50 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@FTomato said:

@Andorski said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Questionable said:

Wasn't that an issue of the game industry in general having requirements to be in credits? I don't know how it works for games, but in the movie industry there is actually a set of standards that must be met to receive credits.

I dont know about the games industry. But in the Movie industry its because of the union. The SAG ( Screen Actors Guild) and several other guilds that demand that when you hire there actors/directors/gaffers you put them in the credits.

Infact some guilds demand that you must put actors in the begining of the film. Star Wars got in trouble with this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.