Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Congratulations Dreamcast! A quick retrospective

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

Edited By Oni

Ah man, the Dreamcast. Cut down before its prime.

To be fair, it was not a terrific console. It did not have THAT many great games. It made a fuckton of noise. The breakdown rate was pretty high. But it was just so far ahead of its time. It had online play, and I'm sure PSO influenced lots of developers. Shenmue was just amazingly ambitious. Soul Calibur was like... the perfect game, at the time. It really captured the gamers' imaginations. There was just so much insanely creative stuff on it, like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, PSO, Project Gotham, and of course it was THE console for arcade ports of fighting games and original shmups.  Jet Set Radio inspired an entirely new art style in games. It was pretty radical at the time, and because of the stylized graphics, it still holds up pretty well.  Powerstone may have been directly responsible for games like Super Smash Bros.

I played some Shenmue today, because Giant Bomb did a series of quick look throwbacks, and while most games haven't held up so great, Shenmue kinda has. And there are few games I am more nostalgic for. It's everything 14-year old me wanted out of games: Huge scope and ambition and cinematic storytelling. It was flawed, sure, but by painstakingly creating this huge, rich world and being so deliberately paced, it draws you in like few other games do. The mundanity of some of Ryo's life is somehow compelling. 

Its death was inevitable. But I'd like to think the gaming landscape today is that much richer because of the Dreamcast.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Oni

Ah man, the Dreamcast. Cut down before its prime.

To be fair, it was not a terrific console. It did not have THAT many great games. It made a fuckton of noise. The breakdown rate was pretty high. But it was just so far ahead of its time. It had online play, and I'm sure PSO influenced lots of developers. Shenmue was just amazingly ambitious. Soul Calibur was like... the perfect game, at the time. It really captured the gamers' imaginations. There was just so much insanely creative stuff on it, like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, PSO, Project Gotham, and of course it was THE console for arcade ports of fighting games and original shmups.  Jet Set Radio inspired an entirely new art style in games. It was pretty radical at the time, and because of the stylized graphics, it still holds up pretty well.  Powerstone may have been directly responsible for games like Super Smash Bros.

I played some Shenmue today, because Giant Bomb did a series of quick look throwbacks, and while most games haven't held up so great, Shenmue kinda has. And there are few games I am more nostalgic for. It's everything 14-year old me wanted out of games: Huge scope and ambition and cinematic storytelling. It was flawed, sure, but by painstakingly creating this huge, rich world and being so deliberately paced, it draws you in like few other games do. The mundanity of some of Ryo's life is somehow compelling. 

Its death was inevitable. But I'd like to think the gaming landscape today is that much richer because of the Dreamcast.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I bought the system for NFL 2K1 and it didn't disappoint. You could see the breath from the players for god's sake. Virtua Tennis was cool too. Toy Commander was my favorite followed by Resident Evil: Code Veronica. It was fun while it lasted.

zkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zkilla

I think what makes the Dreamcast such a popular console is that it had so many good games in just 2 years. That and it was SEGA's last console.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I can't post on your wall because of this lame flood protection. Someone else post on Oni's wall please!

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Oni

Claude posted on my wall!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.