Does your Dreamcast play burnt games?

#1 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

I think mine does, but I'm not sure if all of them do.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11001 posts) -

You mean pirated stuff you put onto the disc, or that the discs were on fire? 

#3 Posted by DarkShaper (1332 posts) -

I'm gonna assume you mean games burnt to a disc, in that case yes.

#4 Edited by Nasar7 (2669 posts) -

It doesn't play anything, the optical drive broke.  =( 

But it used to, yes.

#5 Posted by Deathdealer108 (291 posts) -

Really now?! Just buy the damn games as they are dirt cheap. If you can't afford dreamcast games today, I am amazed you can afford CD-R's to burn.  

But if they are on fire I suggest not putting them in the dreamcast. Dreamcasts can take a beating but not that.
#6 Posted by critThreat (60 posts) -
@Deathdealer108 said:
Really now?! Just buy the damn games as they are dirt cheap. If you can't afford dreamcast games today, I am amazed you can afford CD-R's to burn.   But if they are on fire I suggest not putting them in the dreamcast. Dreamcasts can take a beating but not that.
Apparently, someone hasn't looked at the prices of retro games as a whole. It's just had to justify pay $20+ for an old game. Especially if you're looking for the "good stuff".
#7 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I would assume mine does, but I have no burned game discs. So... take that for what you will.

#8 Posted by criesfrommypast (6 posts) -

I know that mine does play burned games. I dont do it though because ive heard rumors that may or may not be true that since the dreamcasts werent designed to be constantly reading from CD-R's that the lasers will wear out faster. Not sure if its true or not, but like others have said, the games themselves are pretty cheap overall.

#9 Posted by mac_n_nina (272 posts) -

Yes, it does. I don't play my dreamcast too often though. The only retro systems I can stand to play are Nintendo and that's mostly SNES. The early 3D stuff just doesn't look to great.

#10 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

Mine can play burnt games. Even though they don't make the games anymore, and I would say go for it if you have a bunch of CD-R's lying around, I would also suggest hitting up Amazon because people also sell the games dirt cheap.

#11 Posted by Pandasaurus (115 posts) -

@Deathdealer108: What does it matter if he burns a pirated copy of the games he wants to play? Any game he buys will be 2nd hand at best so the developer isn't going to be getting any money any way. I'd say go for it; he has nothing to lose.

#12 Posted by bibamatt (1088 posts) -

Yeah, I think they all can. A lot of games require a boot disk though, too.

#13 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Nope, mine's a #2 model, all my games gotta be legitimate.

#14 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Sure does. Though I need to buy new AV cables and replace the battery in my VMU.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.