Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Dreamcast help.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I have questions about buying a Sega Dreamcast and how it will work out. I can either buy a PAL version for $150 second hand or I can get a brand new one for the same price. The only problem is I'm in Australia (PAL) and I'm not sure what to do. Do I go for the way option on the PAL version or get the NTSC. I'm not sure how it will work(NTSC Dreamcast in a pal region), does anyone know?

Thanks.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SamStrife

If you're worried about games being region locked or unable to play on a differant format system...then you have no need to worry and as long as you haven't got a TV older than the DC itself you should have no problem on that front.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SamStrife
    If you're worried about games being region locked or unable to play on a differant format system...then you have no need to worry and as long as you haven't got a TV older than the DC itself you should have no problem on that front.
    So how do you play DC games region free? And aren't the power points different here?
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By dagas

It is much easier to play an NTSC Dreamcast on a PAL TV than it is to play a PAL DC on an NTSC TV. I have tried, first of all the NTSC TV didn't have SCART at all and no one knew what the hell SCART even was and even when I got an S-video cable it was just a grayscale picture. PAL TV's on the other hand at least from mid 90's and newer should have no problem with NTSC.

However you need to have a power converter, my power converter wasn't good enough and it destroyed my NTSC Saturn =( Those weak Americans can't handle 220 volt.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife

The DC never had any region encoding on its games...

And yes the power points probably will be differant, if that's going to cause you issues just play it safe and buy the one from your region.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By dagas

@SamStrife said:

The DC never had any region encoding on its games... And yes the power points probably will be differant, if that's going to cause you issues just play it safe and buy the one from your region.

Yes it did. I had to use a boot disc to play my Japanese copy of Sonic Adventure 2. You are thinking of pirated games, those did not require anything and could be played in any region, but original games are region locked.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By clarke0

The Dreamcast IS region locked. However you can easily circumvent this problem by using a boot disc. Such as the Utopia boot disc which can easily be found with a Google search.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SamStrife
    @dagas: @clarke0

Yep, you two are totally right.  Forgot all about that boot disc. Damn those were the days.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Will the boot disc damage the console or anything? Also, what do I look for when getting a power converter?

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By clarke0
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @clarke0
    The boot disc won't damage your console. Use this guide, choose country and then the type of outlet you want to convert to: http://www.voltageconverters.com/voltageguide.htm
    So I'm assuming this is the one? http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=PB13

I'm a bit worried since @dagas had one that ruined his console. How do I know which are reliable?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I'm an idiot, I just bought Shenmue brand new for $80 (standard price in Australia) should I cancel it?

Also, so all I need for the ntsc DC to work on a pal HD TV is a power converter? Nothing else?

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By clarke0

The power converter will get the system to run but will do nothing to get it to work with your TV. If you plan on playing your Dreamcast on a newer TV it would be better to get one from your region.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @clarke0
    The power converter will get the system to run but will do nothing to get it to work with your TV. If you plan on playing your Dreamcast on a newer TV it would be better to get one from your region.
    How do I get it to work with my TV then? I found one from the UK.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clarke0

A UK Dreamcast is PAL, it will work with a PAL TV. An NTSC (North America, Japan) Dreamcast will only work with an older Australian TV.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @clarke0
    A UK Dreamcast is PAL, it will work with a PAL TV. An NTSC (North America, Japan) Dreamcast will only work with an older Australian TV.
    Thanks. Also, I found Shenmue 2 (Japan) for fairly cheap, does the Japanese version have english subtitles?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

Did the Dreamcast not come out in Australia? That's kinda crappy.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By clarke0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.