Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Happy Dreamcast Day 09/09/09

• 74 results
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By choffy21

Poor Dreamcast. I remember playing Crazy Taxi every minute I could while at my cousins house for the summer of 2000. Some of my best gaming memories were because of that system.

If I can ever find a (somewhat) cheap Dreamcast on eBay or anywhere else, I'm totally going to buy one.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By dagas

Since I live in Europe, I should not be celebrating its 10th birthday for another month or so but HAPPY BIRTHDAY anyway! For me the DC was all about Shenmue I&II (For some reason Shenmue II was never released on DC in the US, but it was released here) and Skies of Arcadia. I still think that Shenmue is in the top 10 of best games of all time, it was more than a game, it was as close to virtual reality you could get with a small screen TV and a home console.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#53  Edited By Eder
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:
    " Yeah, that would have been special, if we didn't have all the horrid Sonic games the past decade. "
    I don't give a fuck what people say, some of those 3D Sonic games were a lot of fun. I had so many nostalgic memories with the Sonic Adventure games.   Also, Sonic Unleashed was also fun. "
    Hell yeah Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were AWESOME, Sonic Heroes was also OK, Shadow Sucked ok cant say anything there, Sonic 06 if it werent for all the glitches would have been a good game, it was Sonic Adventure 3 sorta. Sonic Unleashed had some good ideas, but was bad, the emblems you had to get to enter the levels REALLY ruined the game.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#54  Edited By Claude

I bought a Dreamcast about a year after it came out. It came bundled with Sega GT and Jet Grind Radio. My favorite games were NFL 2K1, NBA 2K series, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Toy Commander. I think I kept it for a year and traded it in for what, I can't remember. It was a pretty good console not in my top five though.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By agentboolen

YEA 9/9/09 10 years man!!!  I might have to throw in Crazy Taxi and pick up some fares....  Oh while at it I'll kick some ass in SF3!!!!  That system was really such a great machine, too bad it got so hacked that Sega decided it wasn't worth making games on it   =(

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Linkyshinks

I recently bought Toy Commander after a recommendation here.  I've never played any of those popular US sports games... I should probably get some of the NBA games to add to my collection. I'll have to look into which ones were considered good.

DonkeyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By DonkeyKong

Happy Birthday Dreamcast.

Also,  regarding  the yellowing of the console,  someone  found a way to remove it :

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#58  Edited By Claude
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I recently bought Toy Commander after a recommendation here.  I've never played any of those popular US sports games... I should probably get some of the NBA games to add to my collection. I'll have to look into which ones were considered good. "
    NBA 2K2 was the best and last one for the system, but all three were pretty good games. There's a couple of Jam games out there if you're interested in arcade basketball. NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC wasn't bad.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By eroticfishcake

Oh man, I should really fix my Dreamcast. Damn CD readers fucked up.

Anyhoos. Happy Dreamcast Day! The console that could've been!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#60  Edited By citizenkane

I was wondering what was up with all these Quick Look Throwbacks today.  Now my questions have been answered.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Claude said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" I recently bought Toy Commander after a recommendation here.  I've never played any of those popular US sports games... I should probably get some of the NBA games to add to my collection. I'll have to look into which ones were considered good. "

NBA 2K2 was the best and last one for the system, but all three were pretty good games. There's a couple of Jam games out there if you're interested in arcade basketball. NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC wasn't bad. "

Thanks, I guess I will look to get them at the right price if they are all good. I think they would be great additions my collection. I've seen two of the normal NBA games in my local store, I just need to check out the price now.    

I loved Basketball but sadly I cannot watch it here so easily I once did. I liked the Bulls when they were in their prime, when they had, God, the son of God, and the devil.   I've totally lost touch with the current game...

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By RHCPfan24

Ah, the Dreamcast. It died at too young an age. I still love it with all my heart, and it is sitting in a bag next to my PS2 in my basement. Maybe I should play it today. Naw, the Beatles: Rock Band is out.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By clarke0

I'd play my Dreamcast today but unfortunately I don't have a VMU for the controller. I remember playing Hydro Thunder and Sonic Adventure on a friend's console back in the day. Too bad such an awesome system had such a short life span.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Famov

A year and a half ago, I bought a used Dreamcast with seven games (of which Soul Calibur is the highlight) for 32 dollars. What a steal that was! 

Most of my memories with the system, though, are back when it was brand new, and two of my friends each had one. I was completely sold on the system when I saw Sonic fight the last form of Chaos. 

Something about super cheesy generic rock music infused into a rather weird boss fight that relied far more on flash than substance... made for something truly timeless. 

Long live my/the Dreamcast!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @clarke0 said:
    " I'd play my Dreamcast today but unfortunately I don't have a VMU for the controller. I remember playing Hydro Thunder and Sonic Adventure on a friend's console back in the day. Too bad such an awesome system had such a short life span. "

There's no need to save, just play and pay homage.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By RichardLOlson

Omg...I forgot its dreamcast day.    Well its a shame I don't have one...I remember the old days of the dream cast.  Its just a shame that they didn't continue with the gaming machine.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#67  Edited By chronicsmoke

I still remember launch day when I picked my DC up with soul calibur,sonic adventure, and nfl 2k.I was never into sports games until the good ol DC an visual concepts came along,LONG LIVE THE DC!!!!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Linkyshinks

@ LOLson 

Why do you have pics of William in your image folder?, that's just wrong dude. lol. On a positive note, at least you've stopped typing in italics. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Its cause hes my special friend, or because he kept uploading them without knowing you only had to do it once to be able to use it whenever you want, ill teach him later how to delete them.
    As for that i never had a problem with his italics.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @WilliamRLBaker said:

" Its cause hes my special friend, or because he kept uploading them without knowing you only had to do it once to be able to use it whenever you want, ill teach him later how to delete them. As for that i never had a problem with his italics. "

Special friends you say... Wow, maybe Giant Bomb is that kind of community under the veil...

I got the impression a lotta people did, for me personally it wasn't so much the italics but more so the fact they were bold also. 
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @Eder said:
    " @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:
    " Yeah, that would have been special, if we didn't have all the horrid Sonic games the past decade. "
    I don't give a fuck what people say, some of those 3D Sonic games were a lot of fun. I had so many nostalgic memories with the Sonic Adventure games.   Also, Sonic Unleashed was also fun. "
    Hell yeah Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were AWESOME, Sonic Heroes was also OK, Shadow Sucked ok cant say anything there, Sonic 06 if it werent for all the glitches would have been a good game, it was Sonic Adventure 3 sorta. Sonic Unleashed had some good ideas, but was bad, the emblems you had to get to enter the levels REALLY ruined the game. "
    Have you play the Wii & PS2 game? It's different from the PS3 & 360 game and it got better reviews.

Sonic Unleashed is a good game and it was much much better than Sonic 06. Seriously, I didn't agree with the critics. When I read the reviews for the game, it was almost like they were playing a completely different game from what I was playing. For example, the music, the music was fantastic in that game but critics wrote it off as forgettable which I found ridiculous. I get the feeling critics hate 3D Sonic games because they're 3D Sonic games. What people want out of Sonic is for Sega to stop making 3D Sonic games and just make 2D games again. 

Also, people are kind of like the same vein with Metriod Prime and the 3D Castlevania games. For Castlevania, people never wanted to believe that a 3D Castlevania game will never work because people are overly nostalgic for the 2D games. But with Metriod Prime, which was a great series, people look at that and were like, "Yeah the 2D games are better."  There are people who want Nintendo to abandon their 3D efforts and just make 2D games again as well. 
    Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Eder
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @Eder said:
    " @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:
    Hell yeah Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were AWESOME, Sonic Heroes was also OK, Shadow Sucked ok cant say anything there, Sonic 06 if it werent for all the glitches would have been a good game, it was Sonic Adventure 3 sorta. Sonic Unleashed had some good ideas, but was bad, the emblems you had to get to enter the levels REALLY ruined the game. "
    Have you play the Wii & PS2 game? It's different from the PS3 & 360 game and it got better reviews.

Sonic Unleashed is a good game and it was much much better than Sonic 06. Seriously, I didn't agree with the critics. When I read the reviews for the game, it was almost like they were playing a completely different game from what I was playing. For example, the music, the music was fantastic in that game but critics wrote it off as forgettable which I found ridiculous. I get the feeling critics hate 3D Sonic games because they're 3D Sonic games. What people want out of Sonic is for Sega to stop making 3D Sonic games and just make 2D games again. 

Also, people are kind of like the same vein with Metriod Prime and the 3D Castlevania games. For Castlevania, people never wanted to believe that a 3D Castlevania game will never work because people are overly nostalgic for the 2D games. But with Metriod Prime, which was a great series, people look at that and were like, "Yeah the 2D games are better."  There are people who want Nintendo to abandon their 3D efforts and just make 2D games again as well.  "
    Yeah i read that it was different but I dont know, I think the 360 one was fine but maybe just for shits and giggles I'll rent the PS2 or Wii version. What I think about this whole 3D and 2D Sonic thing I totaly agree with you. Critics dismiss these games only because theyre "not as good as the 2D games" and they might be right, but there are good things about these games. I dont get why people say SA 1 and then 2 began the spiral of Sonic's downfall, I was thinking at that time: "damn, CANT WAIT for Sonic Adventure 3". 
    As metroid and castlevania go, I think in 3D they have both been super awesome (Prime) and ok (Castlevania: COD). Why do people get stuck in saying: "well this only works in 2D". I like 2D games more than 3D games, but developers want to MOVE ON and try NEW THINGS. I think both worlds can exist and be good in their own way.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By RichardLOlson
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " Its cause hes my special friend, or because he kept uploading them without knowing you only had to do it once to be able to use it whenever you want, ill teach him later how to delete them. As for that i never had a problem with his italics. "
     Special friends you say...  Wow, maybe Giant Bomb is that kind of community under the veil... I got the impression a lotta people did. For me it wasn't so much the italics but more the fact they were bold also.  "
    Well I don't know what he means by "special friend", but we are friends and as me having his picture...well I didn't know that was so wrong to have someone elses picture.  So whatever thoughts you might have...there completely wrong.
    Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Eder
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @Eder said:
    " @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:

Also, people are kind of like the same vein with Metriod Prime and the 3D Castlevania games. For Castlevania, people never wanted to believe that a 3D Castlevania game will never work because people are overly nostalgic for the 2D games. But with Metriod Prime, which was a great series, people look at that and were like, "Yeah the 2D games are better."  There are people who want Nintendo to abandon their 3D efforts and just make 2D games again as well.  "
     I thought it was pretty shitty.  Kou, where the fuck are you these days? "
    Ok this came out of nowhere. Yeah I understand, if you compare Sonic 06 or Sonic Unleashed to most if not all games that came out during that time, they were garbage. But fans like myself can't help but to look at the good things about those games. I hate to repeat the same stuff over and over again, but if Sonic 06 didn't have you falling out of the geometry that game would be ok. Finally we get Sonic 4 real soon, so lets hope at least that game is good. If its anything like the Rush games, it will be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.