Is it worth spending ~$150 on a Dreamcast for these games?

#1 Edited by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Is it worth spending about $150 (probably a little more) to buy a new Dreamcast just for Jet Set Radio and Shenmue? There's not really any other games on it I'm that interested in. And I've already played and beat Jet Set Radio Future and Shenmue II. Should I still do it? Or should I just hope for a re-release of those games? Or should I just give up hope all together?

I never played the original Jet Set or Shenmue, but I'm pretty sure they're real similar to the sequels anyway...

#2 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

$150? Why so expensive? I would say no, did you ever buy a system for two games only? But really, there are plenty more awesome titles for any kind of gamer on it.

#3 Edited by AndrewB (7621 posts) -

I wouldn't say it's worth it. But then, I'm not you. It depends how badly you want to play these games. Though one thing to consider is that, while I'm certain somewhere down the line, these games will make it onto one of the future consoles as downloads, or even full-on remakes, you never know exactly when that is going to happen, and oftentimes, an old game just doesn't hold up so well so many years into the future (seems especially true for earlier 3D games). You might not want to play them, at that point.

#4 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1497 posts) -

Dreamcasts aren't very expensive at all. I saw one sell for £15 on ebay recently.  And aside from the novelty of owning a new system, there are lots of other decent games. Street fighter 3 for example.

#5 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

Dreamcast is the greatest system ever.  Any price is worth it.

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Buy one for $99.

#7 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

IamJohn and CL know whats up. Buying a Dreamcast is recommended, just don't get ripped off.

And no mention of MvC 2, Crazy Taxi or Virtua Tennis?? Those games are gems!

#8 Posted by bshirk (330 posts) -

Why not buy a used system?  I got a used Dreamcast, 2 controllers, 2 VMUs, and 16 good games for $84 including shipping. 

#9 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

You can get one on ebay for $30 with those games, VMUs and extra controllers. What's with this $150 business? Are you thinking of getting a working SegaCD with it?

#10 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -
thegoldencat7 said:
"Dreamcasts aren't very expensive at all. I saw one sell for £15 on ebay recently.  And aside from the novelty of owning a new system, there are lots of other decent games. Street fighter 3 for example."
Street Fighter 3 is a looooooooooot more than decent, bub.

Also, Jet Grind Radio & Shenmue aren't going for like 150$ on Amazon, they're going for like less than thirty. Now for some of the Capcom games, like Canon Spike, Project Justice, and Power Stone 2, those games are going for high prices online.
#11 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I don't think so

lots of good Dreamcast games though, so maybe this system is worth it
#12 Edited by Luke (1609 posts) -

I bought my Dreamcast for $200 when it first came-out... surprised that the price hasn't come down more than that, in this day and age. 

If people would have just supported the DC from the start, like they were supposed to, it wouldn't have failed like it did :'(

#13 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Yeah the Dreamcast is sadly looked over by a lot of people. Call if poor timing on Sega's part (as well as leaving the system open to mass piracy), but DC has a certain charm to it. When the DC initially launched with Sonic Adventure, I was close to shitting myself at the graphical improvement over prior systems. Yeah the graphics are ugs based on current standards, but the library of games is awesome.

#14 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

For those two games only. No I wouldnt think so, but if you are going to expend your library beyond just those two I would probably pick one up.

#15 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

I think it would depend on how many games you plan on getting. You should get more than two games for sure.

#16 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

Consider expanding your collection on the Dreamcast.

Also the only truly good Sonic Games.

#17 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

For Shenmue - yes.
For Jet Set Radio - yes.

#18 Posted by OhdK (203 posts) -

I heard there are very good DC emulators out there, so if you have a decent rig I would check out if your games are playable on the emulators. Make sure you buy the games first tho, but it'd be cheaper than shelling out for the DC

#19 Edited by Meptron (1079 posts) -

You can find it cheaper than that, I would think.

edit: just realized this thread is a month old... did you end up buying it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.