Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Okay... I'm confused...

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By timeshero

I could have sworn it was released 9/9/99 not in 98... am I wrong?  The article says 98...

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Its first release date was in japan, which happend in 1998.
    All releases on the site on the main overview page start with the initial release posted if its a good upload then that starts with usually the japanese release.
    Edit: I went ahead and amended an edit to the overview page of 11/27/1998 instead of the 09/9/1999.
    *doesn't have 1000 points so its in moderation*

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Endogene

Not entirely sure about this, i always thought that the initial release date should be the US release date just like on game pages.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Endogene said:
    "Not entirely sure about this, i always thought that the initial release date should be the US release date just like on game pages."
    I'm not sure. DSiWare has a release date of last year, despite not being in the US yetand you're the top editor on that page :P.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene
    MattyFTM said:
    "Endogene said:
    "Not entirely sure about this, i always thought that the initial release date should be the US release date just like on game pages."
    I'm not sure. DSiWare has a release date of last year, despite not being in the US yetand you're the top editor on that page :P."
    Jeff did that one so i guess it should be the original release date and not the US one specificity. Still weird to see initial price in dollars above it.

edit: am asking for verification.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Well if its a question of specifics I believe it should be the original date, and we should be able to put multiple dates *ALA wikipedia* as well as multiple starting amounts.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Endogene

Made a thread about it in the mod forum linking to this thread. Proposed the multiple date in there already, waiting for staff response.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

The also know that the original Playstation's page has the JPN release date listed and not the US date. I'm pretty sure console release dates go with the first official release worldwide.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By strangeling

Shouldn't the console pages have a "...consists of ___ releases" page like the games do?

That'd have the dates for all the different continents/countries, and maybe even hardware revisions.

- - - - - - - -

And, maybe later, they could update the site so you could pick your region in the preferences to show you the dates most relevant to you?
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush

Just an update for anyone interested..."Release Date" on console pages will be changed to "US Release Date" in the design update. So that means we want the original US release dates on console pages, even if it came out in other countries first.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

And what about systems that never came out here?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Endogene
    LordAndrew said:
    "And what about systems that never came out here?"
    Guess for now in those case we can only put the original release date there. We will be able to add all the releases of the different regions in the future but that update might take some time.
    timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By timeshero

I'm sorry, but this thread just made me feel awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.