Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Should I buy a Sega Dreamcast?

• 68 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By NekuSakuraba

What do you guys think of getting -

Grandia II

Sonic Adventures

Jet Grind Radio

Shenmue

Crazy Taxi

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Those are all really great games, definitely worth playing. 
    Jet Set Radio is still one of my favourite games ever.  You also need to get Skies of Arcadia.

Shenmue 2 is so expensive because it was a very limited release.  A small British studio decided to translate it themselves (it only has subtitles, no English VO's) and release it in the UK.  I believe there were only 2000 copies released.  If you really want to play it, you're probably better just tracking down the Xbox version.  It's not as rare and does have an English dub, as well as some other extra features.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@WinterSnowblind said:

Those are all really great games, definitely worth playing.
    Jet Set Radio is still one of my favourite games ever. You also need to get Skies of Arcadia.Shenmue 2 is so expensive because it was a very limited release. A small British studio decided to translate it themselves (it only has subtitles, no English VO's) and release it in the UK. I believe there were only 2000 copies released. If you really want to play it, you're probably better just tracking down the Xbox version. It's not as rare and does have an English dub, as well as some other extra features.

Shenmue (new) is also pretty pricey, around $70 while other new games are around 10 - 20. Any idea why that is? And how about connecting the Dreamcast (NTSC) to a modern TV (PAL), how would that work out?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By onarum

No.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By jetsetwillie

if its 1999 then yes. 

if its not 1999 don't bother.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@jetsetwillie said:

if its 1999 then yes. if its not 1999 don't bother.

Reason?

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jetsetwillie
    @NekuSakuraba: i just don't think there is anything from it that is worth playing now the quicklooks on this site prove that. and it will look terrible on a modern TV. 
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By amomjc

I loved my Dreamcast back in the day, sold it when I switched over to pS2. I decided a year ago to pick one up and regretted it since I still feel its a waste of money. With Emulation and tons of games coming out in HD I don't see the point. I have one, got it from EBgames for $80. Still works if you want it for $50. Lol.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@csoup said:

I loved my Dreamcast back in the day, sold it when I switched over to pS2. I decided a year ago to pick one up and regretted it since I still feel its a waste of money. With Emulation and tons of games coming out in HD I don't see the point. I have one, got it from EBgames for $80. Still works if you want it for $50. Lol.

Only the ''meh'' Dreamcast games are coming out in HD as far as I can tell. What games do you have for it?

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TooSweet

Get one. Its a fun system. Luckily I still have my Sony Wega tv to play it on. I've been considering buying a second Dreamcast as a backup. Still in need of a copy of Project Justice.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By amomjc

I have Powerstone...Hydro Thunder, Gauntlet..Powerstone 2, couple of racing games, Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure, and a couple more I cannot remember.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SlasherMan

You know you could always use an emulator.
    I doubt any of the console and game developers would be getting any kind of money their way by you spending so much of yours at this point, anyway.

Also, wasn't Grandia 2 on PS2? If you have a PS2, you don't need a Dreamcast to play it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @csoup

I have Powerstone...Hydro Thunder, Gauntlet..Powerstone 2, couple of racing games, Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure, and a couple more I cannot remember.

And you liked none of those?
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By amomjc

@NekuSakuraba said:

@csoup

And you liked none of those?

Not that I didn't like them, I guess I just can't enjoy an old game like that anymore. Nostalgia was what got me to buy the thing earlier, and once it ran out after playing them all for a couple of hours, it made me sad. Maybe I shouldn't go as far and say I regretted my purchase, but after about 10-20 hours of compiled time between the titles, its been sitting in a box with them all.

By the way, check out Goozex.com and see if maybe you could get a trade going for a Dream cast game. That is where I got all mine, and generally were in amazing shape.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Is everyone clueless about running a NTSC one on a PAL tv?

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By VisariLoyalist

not for that much

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @VisariLoyalist
    not for that much
    I found a new one a lot cheaper ($140) but it isn't PAL and I'm confused because amazon doesn't list if the games are NTSC or pal and I don't if it will work on my TV.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I've been turned off this, anyone wanna convince me it's still a good, fun console?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.