Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

What Dreamcast fighters should I be looking to add?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm on a quest for fighters of all kinds and have been trying to hunt down those worth owning with a great deal of eagerness. I already have some of the widely considered best fighters, but what I really would like is to add a few to my collection that are viewed as being average, yet still well worth owning all the same.  

What lesser fighters are in your opinion worth owning, I'm talking tasty obscurities here.

edit: 

Currently Hunting

I'm pretty sure there are a load of Japanese Wrestling games I could hunt down also, but not knowing that names makes things very difficult. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.
    SamChamploo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SamChamploo
    Street Fighter 3 is my favorite of all time.
    SamChamploo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SamChamploo
    Jo Jo's Bizarre adventures and Plasma Sword.
    Avatar image for atruthfulorange
    atruthfulorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By atruthfulorange

Tech Romancer, Rival Schools 2, Virtual On, VF 3, SF: Double Impact, SF Alpha 3, Vampire Chronicle, Capcom Vs. SNK 1/2, Mark of the wolves, Powerstone 1/2, Last blade 2, Guilty gear X,  and you can check out Fighting Vipers 2 as well, I didn't play it but I liked the first and the sequel isn't supposed to be much different. There is also Super Street Fighter 2X which is a arcade perfect version of the game.

nickystixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By nickystixx

DOA2 was pretty good.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By SpinCookie

Try the powerstone games, I've been meaning to pick those up for my dreamcast.

I also agree that Japanese boxart is cooler.  I got DVD cases for all my DC games and printed off custom DVD covers from http://www.thecoverproject.net/

Some people make some really good DVD sized covers for DC games.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

Power Stone! not your traditional fighter, but damn..I had some fun with that game.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

I was going to suggest Power Stone. Virtua Fighter?

Avatar image for atruthfulorange
    atruthfulorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By atruthfulorange

Tech Romancer is excellent, one of my favorites actually. Hope you enjoy.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By gla55jAw

Damn you guys in Europe get all the cool box arts, not like us in America. I bought a dreamcast last year with intentions of stocking up on 2D fighters. I burned copies of a bunch of games and bought a few, but other than SF3, Capcom Vs SNK 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and a few others, I was dissapointed. And most of those I can already play on my PS2. I am a sucker for collecting though. Nice collection.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Lieutenant

Powerstone. It's not the traditional 2D fighter but it's more of the fight mode in TFU Wii.

Edit: Woops, didn't see you have Powerstone.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By keyhunter

MORTAL KOMBAT GOLD
    Also, after years of buying and playing fighting games, I have come to the realization that fighting games are stupid.

rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rexualhealing

I got JoJo's recently from a used game store near my house for $2. Also, while it's not a Dreamcast title, I got Virtua Fighter Kids today for $3 at another used game store.

While not technically a fighting game, you require Ready 2 Rumble Boxing (and/or its sequel). Seriously, those two games are the only boxing titles I've ever liked besides Punch-Out on NES. I can't believe no one in this thread has mentioned these already, you could probably find these cheap too.

The third game's coming out on Wii soon, apparently, and it looks like ass. Actually, ass is an understatement, it looks like the developers took a shit and somehow put it into data form, then made a really bad 3DO game with it, then lazily remade that 3DO game for the Wii.

BroMagnon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BroMagnon

If you're looking to go beyond fighters (nothing wrong with'em, believe me), my favorite dreamcast game is actually Skies of Arcadia.  I'm not a JRPG fan whatsoever (never played a Phantasy Star, a single FF, or any Square/Enix game ever), but this game is absolutely charming.  Fun fighting system, although it's aged a bit.  It's also the only longer game, or at least one not broken into chunks like a Halo, that I've gone back to play multiple times.  Give it a shot!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
    rexualhealing said:
    "I got JoJo's recently from a used game store near my house for $2. Also, while it's not a Dreamcast title, I got Virtua Fighter Kids today for $3 at another used game store.

While not technically a fighting game, you require Ready 2 Rumble Boxing (and/or its sequel). Seriously, those two games are the only boxing titles I've ever liked besides Punch-Out on NES. I can't believe no one in this thread has mentioned these already, you could probably find these cheap too.

The third game's coming out on Wii soon, apparently, and it looks like ass. Actually, ass is an understatement, it looks like the developers took a shit and somehow put it into data form, then made a really bad 3DO game with it, then lazily remade that 3DO game for the Wii."

Got those already. It is a boxing game so that's probably why.  I have yet to find a copy for the Saturn, but if I was to ever see it I would get it instantly.

The Wii version does look good.

BroMagnon said:
    "If you're looking to go beyond fighters (nothing wrong with'em, believe me), my favorite dreamcast game is actually Skies of Arcadia.  I'm not a JRPG fan whatsoever (never played a Phantasy Star, a single FF, or any Square/Enix game ever), but this game is absolutely charming.  Fun fighting system, although it's aged a bit.  It's also the only longer game, or at least one not broken into chunks like a Halo, that I've gone back to play multiple times.  Give it a shot!"

lol, I know full well how many awesome games there are on the console, other than fighters, but this thread is about fighters!.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Gump

Virtua Fighter 3tb, WWF DC games, Soul Fighter and Mortal Kombat Gold are HORRIBLE GAMES!
    Don't buy these games!

You need to play Dead or Alive 2 (fighting game), Crazy Taxi 1&2, Virtua Tennis 2K2 and Code Veronica.
    Exclusive Dreamcast masterpieces!

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Eelcire

Damn, that is quite the impressive fighter collections. It would appear that you've already purchased the games I was going to recommend (DOA2, Soul Calibur, Vampire Chronicles for Matching Service). Rival Schools 2 is pretty fun, though it's been a long time since I've played it. If you're looking for fighters in general, Pocket Fighter for Playstation or Saturn would be a nice find.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godwind

Your List

Currently Own

Soul Calibur
    Guilty Gear X
    Street Fighter 3: Double Impact
    Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Vampire Chronicles for Matching Service
    Project Justice: Rival Schools 2
    Power Stone 1 & 2
    Marvel Vs Capcom 1 & 2
    Capcom Vs SNK 1 & 2
    KoF :Dream Match  -2001
    Last Blade 2
    Tech Romancer
    Virtual On
    Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves: 1 & 2nd Edition
    Dead or Alive 2
    Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure
    Plasma Sword

still need to get
    SF2 X
    KoF 2002
    Fighting Vipers 2
    Virtua Fighter 3 TB

Here are a few to look out for.
    -Psychic Force 2012, A button masher in the hands of a newb, a game of depth in the hands of a master, and a high difficulty curve to overcome in terms of mastering.  You are in a 2d arena where you can float around.  You dodge, shoot lighting, dash.  Also a little quirky feature, your life bar is inversely shared with your power meter.  As your life drops, the amount of energy you can store increases.
    -Ready 2 Rumble, A very casual fighting game.  kinda quirky but just plain out fun is what is packaged here.
    -Frame Gride- A mech fighter.  You will need a guide for translations.
    -Project Justice
    -Ready 2 Rumble Round 2
    -ECW Anarchy Rules- Don't ask me why I am suggesting this
    -WWF Royal Rumble- Same as above
    -ECW Hardcore Revolution
    -Mortal Kombat Gold

I added even the crappy ones.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By get2sammyb

Virtua Fighter 3TB was actually quite good from what I remember. I bought it second hand back in the day and I had some fun with it. Virtua Fighter has always been a tad too complex for the likes of me though.

stopjaywalking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stopjaywalking

@linkyshinks: I haven't read this so it may have been said, but Skullgirls is highly recommended and is on several platforms including Steam if you aren't limited to simply Dreamcast.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stopjaywalking: Bro. Broooooooo. This thread is eight years old. Welcome to the community, but you may as well be recommending fighting games to the OP's children at this point.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you definitely need KoF 98, that was by far my favourite in the series (Jeff's too actually), I think the dreamcast version might have been called KoF 99 because that port came out that year. Also Project Justice is a must-have, it's the sequel to Rival Schools. Oh and Darkstalkers 3. Maybe SF2 Super Turbo as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ready 2 Rumble is the only game worth playing here besides aforementioned Punch Out

Edit: Wow this is an old thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.