Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Which free game?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I am buying a Dreamcast and can get -

Toy racer,Ready 2 rumble boxing,Virtua tennis,Tony hawks skateboarding or Worms armageddon. Which would you guys choose? I have no experience with any of them so I am in need of some help! :D

Thanks.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Out of those I think Tony Hawk and Virtua Tennis are probably the only two that are any decent, so it comes down to whether you'd want to play a tennis game or a skateboarding game. 

Also, if you're buying a Dreamcast, then you need to get a copy of Shenmue. Then you can be one of those people who always complains about the lack of Shenmue III. We need new members. 

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jetsetwillie

i played them all back in the day. and too be honest i can't understand why anyone would want to play these games again.  

there is nothing classic about any of them. 

but if i had to... if i REALLY had to choose... i guess it would be virtual tennis. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Oh come on guys, it's FREE! I'm also getting a free rumble pack so I can't exactly complain. :P

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Virtua Tennis.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @MooseyMcMan
    Out of those I think Tony Hawk and Virtua Tennis are probably the only two that are any decent, so it comes down to whether you'd want to play a tennis game or a skateboarding game. 

Also, if you're buying a Dreamcast, then you need to get a copy of Shenmue. Then you can be one of those people who always complains about the lack of Shenmue III. We need new members. 
    I will get Shenmue but it's pretty pricey. The first is 80 and the second is 100. I can afford them but is it worth it? (they are brand new) also, here is the auction on the console. Yay or nay? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SEGA-DREAMCAST-CONSOLE-maybe-best-ebay-/230635514921?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash;=item35b2f2ac29#ht_2377wt_323

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

Worms Armageddon is brilliant, but I played the N64 version. It's just worms with some slightly more wacky weapons.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

Ready 2 Rumble.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By Cirdain

Tony hawks skateboarding

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By YoungFrey

Tony Hawk 1 was decent at the time. 2 was a revelation though. I'd say Tennis if it's not actually TH2.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat

Worms Armageddon is brilliant, but I played the N64 version. It's just worms with some slightly more wacky weapons.

Really? Why didn't anyone else think so? :(
    DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DelroyLindo

Get Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future - hardest game i've ever played and I only ever got to level 15 (of 30)

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@ajamafalous said:

Ready 2 Rumble.

This!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By alistercat

@NekuSakuraba said:

@AlisterCat

Really? Why didn't anyone else think so? :(

Lots of people like it. Just pick a game that is in a genre you like.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By time allen
    tonnnnnyyy hawk 

@DelroyLindo said:
    Get Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future - hardest game i've ever played and I only ever got to level 15 (of 30)
    i've never played that one. fucking love the mega drive games, tho.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @MooseyMcMan

I will get Shenmue but it's pretty pricey. The first is 80 and the second is 100. I can afford them but is it worth it? (they are brand new) also, here is the auction on the console. Yay or nay? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SEGA-DREAMCAST-CONSOLE-maybe-best-ebay-/230635514921?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash;=item35b2f2ac29#ht_2377wt_323
    That depends. Do you like books? Are you ok with story over gameplay? If yes to both of those then Shenmue will be worth the effort to track down and cost. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Atramentous said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
    @MooseyMcMan

That depends. Do you like books? Are you ok with story over gameplay? If yes to both of those then Shenmue will be worth the effort to track down and cost.

Heavy Rain was my GoTY 2010. Does that help?

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By alexl86

Never played Toy racer. I've only played the sequel to Ready 2 Rumble and it felt kinda old then(10 years ago), but somewhat fun. I don't like tennis games, so I can't comment on it. Tony Hawk Skateboarding isn't quite as good as 2 or 3, it doesn't have manuals or reverts which seriously hampers the potential for long combos. Finally, Worms: Armageddon is my favorite Worms game and probably the best of the series, but if you don't like Worms, you won't like Armageddon. Also, there's a pretty good Worms game(get the second, not the first) on XBLA and PSN.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@Atramentous said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
    @MooseyMcMan

Get Shenmue. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@alexl86 said:

Never played Toy racer. I've only played the sequel to Ready 2 Rumble and it felt kinda old then(10 years ago), but somewhat fun. I don't like tennis games, so I can't comment on it. Tony Hawk Skateboarding isn't quite as good as 2 or 3, it doesn't have manuals or reverts which seriously hampers the potential for long combos. Finally, Worms: Armageddon is my favorite Worms game and probably the best of the series, but if you don't like Worms, you won't like Armageddon. Also, there's a pretty good Worms game(get the second, not the first) on XBLA and PSN.

I've never played a Worms game but they look like a bunch of fun. Are they easy to learn?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Atramentous said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Atramentous said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
    @MooseyMcMan

Get Shenmue.

Is this version good? Is it in English? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shenmue-II-2-Limited-Package-Dreamcast-Japan-BRAND-NEW-/400212351157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2e83d8b5#ht_612wt_1139

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

Out of those games I would go with Virtua Tennis

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@Atramentous said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Atramentous said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
    @MooseyMcMan

Get Shenmue.

Is this version good? Is it in English? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shenmue-II-2-Limited-Package-Dreamcast-Japan-BRAND-NEW-/400212351157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2e83d8b5#ht_612wt_1139

That is the UK version repackaged for Japan(mostly for American importers). Get whatever version is cheapest, you wont be missing out on anything. Just make sure it has English if that's important. Another option is Shenmue 2 for original Xbox(bc with 360) if that is an option for you, I know I got my copy for 6 bucks at gamestop with a dvd movie of the first game included.  

I never "owned" Shenmue 2 for DC for obvious reasons. First time I got to play it in English was the Xbox version. 
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By alexl86
    @NekuSakuraba: The controls are fairly simple. One button for selecting weapons, one for jumping, one for shooting. Just remember that the power of your shot is determined by how long you hold it. Can't tell you how many times I've accidentally tapped the fire button and gotten blown up by my own Bazooka. Worms isn't really a single player game though. It has a single player mode, but it thrives in multiplayer. I'd check out this quick look.
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Castiel

@Vito_Raliffe said:

@ajamafalous said:

Ready 2 Rumble.

This!

That!

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By mariokart64fan

i have ready to rumble

its ok boxing game,

as for tony hawks i dont have the first but the 2nd one was good

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
    deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@MooseyMcMan said:

Shenmue III? Oh, you must have misspelled Yakuza.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

You need to get Toy Commander, way cooler than Toy Racer.

Honestly pick any one of them, none of them are really unique or interesting Dreamcast experiences, and why would you play a Dreamcast otherwise? It's all about the weird shit you couldn't find elsewhere. Toy Commander, Shenmue, Seaman, Samba de Amigo, Typing of the Dead, Power Stone, Space Channel 5, Chu Chu Rocket, Jet Set Radio and so on.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Jeust

@ajamafalous said:

Ready 2 Rumble.

Or Virtua Tennis. They're both great games!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@whistlebottom said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Shenmue III? Oh, you must have misspelled Yakuza.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the Yakuza games. I just want some more Shenmue.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Jeust said:

@ajamafalous said:

Ready 2 Rumble.

Or Virtua Tennis. They're both great games!

yeah. but there a way better tennis and boxing games available now. other than out of curios nostalgia i can't think of a good reason to play them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.