OH GOD, that ending!

#1 Edited by pyrodactyl (2035 posts) -

Picked up dreamfall on the steam sale 2 days ago. I played the longest journey to completion almost twice a very long time ago but I forgot most of the characters even though I still think it's one of the best advanture game ever made. The point is, I still enjoyed Dreamfall and its complexe storyline and great characters. Seeing april,crow and the crazy mage back was a truely great nostalgia trip.

That was all fine and good until I reached the ending. This game might have the biggest cliffhanger in the history of EVER!!! It puts halo 2 and half life episode 2 to shame. And the part after the credits just adds another layer of WTF.

I guess it's testament to the story for making me care about the fate of april, zoe, the crow and that assassin guy. Even if the resolution to some plot threads is pretty satisfying and the plot twists at the end are pretty good, it doesn't excuse the fact that they don't touch the larger conflict AT ALL. Leaving 5 billion plot threads hanging in the wind... for 6 years.

Now they say a sequel is in the works. I say Funcom is in deap shit over their goddamn MMO and that the studio contracted to produce the sequel might lose its source of funding. We might never learn what is the undreaming, what's the deal with that tower, what happens to zoe, april (come on), the crow and the assassin guy.

#2 Posted by ESREVER (2691 posts) -

There was resolution and satisfaction at the end of Dreamfall? Where? I finished watching a LongPlay of Dreamfall a couple of weeks ago and was SUPER pissed at the ending. I don't think anything was resolved at all. If more people had played that game and finished it, that ending would be infamous for being one of the worst things in gaming or any medium ever. As I was getting closer to the end I kept saying to myself "There's no way this game can end in a hour, there's still so much going on!"

At least Crow came back... that made things easier. Didn't really make up for how lame April became though.

#3 Edited by pyrodactyl (2035 posts) -

@ESREVER: they resolve the little girl sub-plot and it's pretty well done. I don't think the ending is bad, just very very VERY lacking in resolution for stuff that isn't about that little girl.

#4 Posted by Bistromath (616 posts) -

Yeah, I remember being pretty crushed by the ending at the time.

What's the part after the credits? I don't remember it and can't find it on youtube.

Also, and this has been discussed a bit on TLJ/DF forums, but in TLJ the old woman telling the story is hinted at possibly being an old April Ryan, so I don't think Dreamfall was the end of her. (At least, that's how I foggily remember it)

#5 Edited by CornBREDX (5285 posts) -

Ya. Shame it wont ever see a sequel. He talked about writing it into a book, but I don't know if he ever did  (Ragnar Tornquist I mean). 
I am aware of the "chapters" in production right now. But that's been a thing for a while and I'll believe that when it releases. 

Dreamfall was no where near as good as the original game, but it was alright. Next time I hope they don't do combat- that was a terrible idea. Other than the cliff hanger and the awful combat, though, the game is fine.  

@ESREVER: I totally agree!

#6 Edited by pyrodactyl (2035 posts) -

@Bistromath:

Spoilers...( I don't know how to put the tag)

It's cutscene of the guy who gets possessed by the undreaming, making his way to the monastery where he finds the portal in 1933. He falls over in the blizzard of the himalaya but a dude he seems to know picks him back up. His name is Chavez and he says that the guy who gets possessed by the undreaming has a destiny or something like that. So they continue up the mountain together... The end

#7 Posted by ESREVER (2691 posts) -

@Bistromath: Skip to the 1:06:00 mark for the after credits scene. I also remember that the old lady was supposed to be April Ryan, and there's no way they would kill off a main character like her in that fashion. (one lil shank and fallen into a river...pshhhhhh)

@pyrodactyl said:

@ESREVER: they resolve the little girl sub-plot and it's pretty well done. I don't think the ending is bad, just very very VERY lacking in resolution for stuff that isn't about Faith.

Oh right, that bit. I should have said resolutions to something that I cared about. It was a touching scene I guess, but there wasn't really much time to develop an attachment to Faith from the time they introduce her backstory to the time she disappears. Then the mom (Dr. Chang was Zoe's and Faith's mother, right?) had to go and put Zoe in a coma. Even though you knew she was going to end up in a coma at some point during the game, I didn't think that's where they would end it! Arghhh... It was clearly rushed, whcih is really unfortunate because I think the series is pretty awesome. Great characters, worlds, and writing all around. It was also a MUCH shorter game than TLJ.

#8 Posted by Ghostiet (5274 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

Now they say a sequel is in the works. I say Funcom is in deap shit over their goddamn MMO and that the studio contracted to produce the sequel might lose its source of funding. We might never learn what is the undreaming, what's the deal with that tower, what happens to zoe, april (come on), the crow and the assassin guy.

Chapters will be funded independently of Funcom - they turned to Kickstarter.

So yeah, Funcom has little to say about the series if it ever comes out. But it won't come out, unless someone finally gets around organizing a posse to Ragnar Tornquist's house, like I've been suggesting for the past few years.

#9 Edited by Bistromath (616 posts) -

@pyrodactyl: @ESREVER: Cool, thanks.

Nowadays I just write off/cope with the ending to Dreamfall as Ragnar Tornquist beating the player over the head with the cyclical story theme.

All this Dreamfall talk is making me miss April Ryan something fierce, maybe I'll have to replay TLJ.

I'm just glad Tornquist is done fuffing around with MMOs for the moment.

#10 Posted by pyrodactyl (2035 posts) -

Guess we just have to wait for the kickstarter... Let's just hope they have something to show on their kickstarter video.

#11 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

Thanks for reminding me! :-(

#12 Posted by oraknabo (1463 posts) -

I should finish this. I got to the Jabba the Hut guy in Hong Kong, got distracted by something else and never went back.

#13 Edited by pyrodactyl (2035 posts) -

@Bistromath said:

@pyrodactyl: @ESREVER: Cool, thanks.

Nowadays I just write off/cope with the ending to Dreamfall as Ragnar Tornquist beating the player over the head with the cyclical story theme.

All this Dreamfall talk is making me miss April Ryan something fierce, maybe I'll have to replay TLJ.

Yeah, I think I'm going to watch a TLJ let's play.

@wewantsthering said:

Thanks for reminding me! :-(

No problem dude :)

@oraknabo: that's about 2/3 through. Maybe 3/4. And yes you totally should. It's pretty great.

#14 Posted by hinq (17 posts) -

Want an extra thing to wonder about? Most people miss this (or don't realise it's significance at the time they hear it):

Restart the game and, as Brian at the temple, enter the room with the dais. Before you step on the dais, turn left and focus on the two monks to the left to eavesdrop on their conversation. For anyone without it installed:

"He is perfect, the undreaming will be unchained, and it will..." (They then notice Brian eavesdropping and cut their conversation short)

So, the monks were planning for the undreaming to be unchained all along. WHY?!
#15 Posted by ESREVER (2691 posts) -

@hinq: Ohh, that was Brian Westhouse at the start?! He looked younger though.... then doesn't he die?

#16 Edited by pyrodactyl (2035 posts) -

@ESREVER said:

@hinq: Ohh, that was Brian Westhouse at the start?! He looked younger though.... then doesn't he die?

He's younger because that part takes place in 1933 and he doesn't die, he gets traped or something. The big reveal near the end is that he's been possessed by the undreaming all along and probably killed the last dragons himself while traveling the globe. He could also be the prophet or it's that Chavez guy from after the credits.

#17 Posted by hinq (17 posts) -

Oh! Sorry, yeah - that's Brian Westhouse at the monastary at the start. He's younger because this is a flashback to 32 years before. This happens before he ends up in Arcadia and April meets him in TLJ.

#18 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

TLJ is a great game. One of the best fantasy adventure games out there. Dreamfall is good because it allows you to revisit locations and characters from TlJ. I would definitely purchase Chapters if it ever came out.

#19 Posted by Slag (4377 posts) -

Yeah definitely perhaps the most unsatisfying/upsetting ending in Games.

That being said , fantastic game, love the world too, really hope the third game ever comes out.

#20 Posted by ESREVER (2691 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@ESREVER said:

He's younger because that part takes place in 1933 and he doesn't die, he gets traped or something. The big reveal near the end is that he's been possessed by the undreaming all along and probably killed the last dragons himself while traveling the globe. He could also be the prophet or it's that Chavez guy from after the credits.

Man, I didn't think of that. That would be pretty crazy.

#21 Edited by Sesquipedaliant (65 posts) -

Those of you waiting for a good ending to Dreamfall (finally), the Kickstarter has only for days left! Give it a look and fund this please:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.