Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Driveclub

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 07, 2014

Driveclub is a team-based racing game from Evolution Studios for PlayStation 4.

Sony Temporarily Delays Driveclub PS Plus Edition

• 79 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Driveclub launched on PlayStation 4 yesterday, but Driveclub PS Plus Edition didn't. According to the developers, it's delayed while server issues are worked out.

Driveclub PS Plus Edition is a stripped down version of Driveclub with access to India, 11 tracks, 10 cars, and every game mode. Users are offered a discount on Driveclub if they decide to upgrade to the full version.

The full statement about Driveclub PS Plus Edition's status, as shared by game director Paul Rustchynsky on Facebook, is below:

"With DRIVECLUB, we are dedicated to delivering a dynamic and socially connected racing game that everyone can enjoy, and along the way we're facing new challenges which we haven’t encountered as a development team before. We are seeing a lot of activity and new social behaviours right now, but unfortunately this is pushing the servers to their absolute limits.

We are sorry if you are having a hard time getting online as we know many of you are. Please be aware that the game will automatically keep trying to connect you. Once you're online, you should have no further problems during your session.

Everyone at the studio is now working hard to get new updates ready for the game servers to improve connectivity. We will be rolling out these updates day by day and will keep you informed.

In order to help all DRIVECLUB players who have the game already, we're temporarily holding back the PS Plus Edition and the My DRIVECLUB app to ease the load and traffic to the servers. This should give players a better chance of connecting to the game servers and, once the servers are operating well, we’ll be sure to let you know when the PS Plus Edition and My DRIVECLUB app will be available to download.

To our PS Plus fans, we're sorry you're having to wait longer to play, but we want to ensure that when you come on board, you get the best experience possible. Rest assured, if you've pre-ordered the full game upgrade from the PS Plus Edition, you will still get the full version of DRIVECLUB digitally, and if you can't get online you'll be able to get started offline like everybody else with single player mode as you start your DRIVECLUB tour. You’ll still be able to earn fame, unlock cars and get to grips with all of the options for playing and creating your own events and challenges - and everything you do will be synchronised with the servers when you do get connected, so you can set-up a bunch of challenges to send out to your friends as soon as you are able to join each other online.

We fully appreciate how frustrating this is for everyone. We want you to get online with your club because racing, challenging and having fun together is what the game is all about. We know that racing with your friends online is what you’ve been waiting for and we are doing everything we can to deliver that experience to you as soon as possible.

Sorry again for the difficult start. We’ll keep you regularly updated on our progress as we work round the clock to improve connectivity. We want everyone to know what's happening so please tag your DRIVECLUB friends or SHARE this message to let them know."

If you're curious about Driveclub, Jeff reviewed it. He, uh, didn't like it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

pfffffft

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Seems like a pretty terrible launch all around.

dorkymohr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By dorkymohr

Should have been communicated earlier. I'll still wait on being able to trying it first before thinking about a purchase.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a clusterfuck.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So annoying.

Benmo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Benmo316

This is the first thing I've been able to find about the mysterious DriveClub PS+ edition. It's very odd that no one covered this yesterday or last night. Thanks for posting this, Patrick.

"We want everyone to know what's happening" is the most outrageous statement they could've made. If that was true we would've heard something yesterday. Not 24 hours later.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

This is sucky.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta patch in the rain.

TiE23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really hope that ghosts get retroactively uploaded. To the few friends I may have playing this game I certainly want them to be flabberghasted by my ghost just smoking them on the time trials... because secretly I drove around the track 12 times to get that time. But I want them to feel the pressure!

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hope they're not just trying to get impatient consumers to buy the game out-right because of the less-than-stellar reception the game has received.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That they could not or would not broadcast this information before the day people expected to play the game says a lot about their professionalism and dedication to customer communication. The fact that they have direct communications with customers, they don't have to go through journalists to spread information, and they still allow these situations to happen is bad business. They should investigate how much they spend on public relations and communications if it's completely ineffective at preventing these incidents.

This is anecdotal, but among people I've read or talked to in real life, here are the most common pieces of knowledge that customers knew about the PS Plus Edition on Tuesday

1. I don't know what's in it.
    2. I know I'm supposed to get it for being a Plus member.
    3. I don't know why it isn't out yet.

When they do the post-mortem (and it seems like there's PLENTY wrong), I hope some project manager leans over to PR and asks why the public doesn't know fuck all about this thing they all expect to receive.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Reviews aside, what I've heard from people playing the game, even offline, they love it, very reminiscent of PGR or NFS: Shift.

It sucks that the servers are having issues, they should have run like a weekend beta or something to gauge server load, but it is what it is at this point, and holding off on the free Plus version until they can resolve existing issues for paying customers is the right move, regardless of how much it might piss off people who want to try it out for free at this point.

I'm not even a big racing fan and have no intention of buying this, but stuff like this looks amazing and makes me kind of want to play it anyway. Hopefully they'll have things in hand by the weekend and can roll out the Plus version.

And yes, communication on this has sucked, as communication from Sony is always severely lacking. No defense for that, especially seeing their support reps continue to tell people the Plus version would be out "within the hour" last night over and over when clearly that wasn't the case.

This is sucky. Whatever the situation... sounds like DriveClub should of just been cancelled instead of delayed.

Diablo 3 on the PC was almost completely unusable for 2 days after launch, a lot of big games that have come out with a large online component have been, should they have cancelled Diablo 3?

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

This launch is going about as horrendously as the Destiny launch was expected to (but didn't). Utterly baffling.

Avatar image for theterriblefamiliar
    TheTerribleFamiliar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is digital poop on a stick. They probably should have just abandoned it entirely. I understand Sony needed an exclusive for the holidays, but... no... you didn't. Just pimp all the great 3rd party stuff coming. A driving game wasn't going to sell consoles at any rate.

Slumberpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slumberpunch

I think the server excuse is total bullshit. I think they made a below-average game and they know it. Floating out a free version will totally eat into initial sales and they're going to need them because that's about all the sales they're going to get.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Having spent the week playing Forza Horizon 2, I can't even pretend to feign interest in this Driveclub anymore. I was only mildly interested anyway, but after watching the Quick Look and reading a few reviews, it just seems to be lacking too many of the things I've come to take for granted in most every racer I play nowadays.

I wish them luck though. It must be a major drag to go through launch day woes such as these. I'll still download the freebie version to give it a go. But I've gotten so used to a certain amout of customizability and @jeff's review says a lot of those things are lacking. Too bad. I had high hopes for a new race franchise to fill in between Forza installments.

Randum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Complete fail...I was a sucker and bought it - and well I am left with a nice giant turd on my harddrive with stuff I can't even unlock because the servers are dead. I assume once it comes online, everyone will have moved on...this game is just what I think should be called "Hype-ware" - similar to the ranks of HAZE or if you remember THE BOUNCER back on the ps2.... Hype it up, sell some initial copies...game flops...run away and pretend it never happened!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

That's unfortunate. By the time they put it up, the few people that cared (like me) will have lost interest! Maybe.

Snakepond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get it. Sony your the top dog now, but your online is 2nd rate.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm sure glad that PS+ is mandatory to play online now. Looks like they're putting that money to good use and really upgrading their servers in a meaningful way.

chalkcharmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I bet. Meh. I guess I will not be even trying this one, then.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It hit me last night when I realized I was playing Dust:AET and Spelunky on ps4 and realized there were absolutely no real improvements or changes whatsoever; Sony really needs to step it up big time. Their constant sever issues, blatant re-releases of games that came out A YEAR AGO, and now this Driveclub garbage. I know these consoles take a bit to spin up, and we're just on the cusp of really big games coming ( Witcher, Bloodborne etc), but at the moment I'm just tired of all the half-baked releases.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Shivoa

Really appreciate the dig at always-on DRM games that launch as a $60 middle finger by simply giving error messages and having no game you can play, even if this is bad news for everyone wanting to play the demo of what sounds like a middling game on launch day (also bad news for people who pre-ordered it and now find some of the game glitchy as the servers fail to cope with the load):

Rest assured, if you've pre-ordered the full game upgrade from the PS Plus Edition, you will still get the full version of DRIVECLUB digitally, and if you can't get online you'll be able to get started offline like everybody else with single player mode as you start your DRIVECLUB tour. You’ll still be able to earn fame, unlock cars and get to grips with all of the options for playing and creating your own events and challenges - and everything you do will be synchronised with the servers when you do get connected, so you can set-up a bunch of challenges to send out to your friends as soon as you are able to join each other online.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They lost me at "BehavioUrs"

That's not a word Dammit!

IaN_RM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game can not catch a break. I kinda feel bad for them, even though I´m not really into racing games...

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yakov456

@slumberpunch: I agree with you but people will call us crazy. Where was the clarity for at least 6 hours from when this whole issue arose? Twitter was lighting up about what was going on, no clear answer until the middle of the night. Shady shenanigans I say.

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sounds more like intentionally delayed so they could get sales of the game from people before they try it for free.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They needed this to hit on launch day because, honestly aside from right now, that is the only time I have ever spent thinking about potentially playing DriveClub. Now, whenever it does launch, I just won't really care or be interested and they definitely won't get my money.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this at last year's PAX and the driving felt terrible, some of the graphics looks amazing, but even back then there were some ugly textures on the ground etc. Was hoping to try this with PS+, but man I have no interest in it now.

I just bought a ps4 because there was a great deal at FutureShop and I really want to play bloodborne, but besides Last of Us (It was a fantastic port), I have been pretty disappointed with the PS4. I think the UI and interface is terrible, I prefer my Vita's interface to it and I think the X1 interface and online features is killing it now (really apprecaite the constant updates from MS). In my opinion Xbox is presenting much more interesting first party games this holiday and during the past year, but god fucking damn it I want Bloodborne NOW (I really hope other PS exclusive come through also, don't want my PS4 to end up being the Bloodborne machine)

Welvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is a sack of mounting disappointment, starting from the moment they trashed the plan to release the full game for free to all PS Plus members.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the server excuse is total bullshit. I think they made a below-average game and they know it. Floating out a free version will totally eat into initial sales and they're going to need them because that's about all the sales they're going to get.

Agreed. Count me among those who believe the free version being unavailable isn't an accident.

This is a game that might have been totally acceptable at the launch of the consoles because it looks pretty enough, and some of the lacking features might have been forgiven via "devs need time with the hardware" excuses and the like.

However, we're damn near a year into the life of the new consoles. There's no excuse for this game not to have been THE great racing game the PS4 needed. They've had time. They've had support. And they've had no real competition on the PS4 to have to worry about keeping pace with. Perhaps that's the problem.

Jeff nailed it when he said the game doesn't know what it wants to be. It tries to be both sim and arcade, and succeeds at neither. The physics seem awful. It's absolutely jarring watching AI cars dart around without the body roll, wheelspin, etc. that virtually every modern racing game (arcade or sim) has implemented some degree of by now. It's like they gave every car F1 handling.

I'm not buying any "user-friendly" or "they're trying to so something different" garbage, either. They simply missed the mark. I keep seeing this compared to games like PGR and NFS Shift. No. PGR was way more fun, and NFS Shift was way more realistic. This is some ill-conceived combo of noob physics and sim penalties, which should pretty much annoy every type of racing fan.

This game coming out right after Forza Horizon 2 is doing it no favors, either. Again, if you think about this as a console launch title up against Forza 5, it probably wouldn't have been so obviously lacking. However, the contrast between FH2 and Driveclub (I mean, #DRIVECLUB) is too stark to ignore. Horizon 2 is certainly more arcadey than, say, Forza 5, but it manages to execute fun and realism reasonably well. So why can't this?

I wanted this game to be great. The PS4 folks deserve a great racing game. With the GT series losing its way a bit and Driveclub a dud, it's third-party or bust. I genuinely hope The Crew and Project CARS turn out well, because it's a travesty that the PS4 still doesn't have a quality racer.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

They would have gotten my money at launch, now I have Horizon 2

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By whitegreyblack

They needed to launch a lot better than this if they wanted to compete with Forza Horizon 2. Even though I am not a huge racer fan, I was actually really looking forward to the free edition to try to sell me on the game. Now, I think the game could never live up to the entertainment value I got watching the internet explode yesterday over the PS Plus edition not coming live and absolutely zerocommunication from Sony or the devs.

Chalk it up as an unforced error.

clank543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing some of the normal races. I was just dying for a racing game. I think the tracks are actually really good, and I don't have quite the amount of issues with the handling as Jeff had although I do think it feels weird. I would like to see what all this online stuff they touted about the game is, but I don't know if I'll even have friends playing it after this horrible launch.

I'm more disappointed that this is only the SECOND racing game launched on the system. TWO!!!!! Are you kidding me? Codemasters, Criterion, BugBear, let's get some damn racing games out!

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's been more than 24 hours since launch and I still can't connect to the servers, so I believe them. Something's fucked.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seikenfreak

Whhyyyyyyy?!?!

I don't want to even try online crap! I just want to try this damn demo so I can decide whether or not it does indeed suck and if I should go buy it! Been so friggin bored today.

Ugh all this dumb always online/game-is-nothing-without-online crap these days.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually really curious to see how driveclub for ps+ is any different than a demo they would have put out. This whole fiasco with driveclub as left a bad taste in my mouth for a game I never really cared about in the first place. They managed to do a good job at making me pay attention to the mistakes.

smellylettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By smellylettuce

Lame, what do I need to do to get a decent racing game on the PS4?!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By mike

"...new social behaviours right now, but unfortunately this is pushing the servers to their absolute limits."

You have got to be kidding me.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: If only they had the power of The Cloud.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mr_creeper
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benmo316 said:

This is the first thing I've been able to find about the mysterious DriveClub PS+ edition. It's very odd that no one covered this yesterday or last night. Thanks for posting this, Patrick.

"We want everyone to know what's happening" is the most outrageous statement they could've made. If that was true we would've heard something yesterday. Not 24 hours later.

To be fair, they did announce this yesterday. GB was just slow on the news front.

Not that the communication was great anyway - it wasn't until after the other PSN+ games had gone live that they mentioned any of this. A lot of frustrated people were checking the store regularly in the hope that it had been unlocked. The whole thing was handled pretty poorly.

Sure, it's a huge free demo and that's nice, but expectations are key here. Don't tell people they're going to get something on a set day and then not update that information once it's no longer correct.

emtee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, they're giving the people that paid for the game the terrible experience while they work out the kinks, but the free people get the good experience?

Sounds like a sound business plan to me.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pappafost

Pro Tip: If you're going to release a driving game touting compelling online features, make sure those online features actually work before launch. They delayed it an entire year and it launches broken? I was promised this game when I signed on to PS Plus in 2013. 2013! It's almost Halloween in 2014! Maybe they'll give me another middling game like Contrast for my trouble.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pappafost: That's so true. Online is causing developers to be more and more lazy about how they approach development because things can be fixed post-launch. So release a half-broken game, fix it post launch; all to recover cost of a longer development cycle? Bleh.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

I was super looking forward to this when they first announced it, but everything around it just looks and feels incredibly disappointing. Guess I'll stay on the Xbox One for my racing game needs.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fitting.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DRIVECLUB.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

At this point Sony just need to get over to Namco and pay them whatever they want for a Ridge Racer title, not one of those stupid spin offs like unbounded, an honest to god Ridge Racer with online play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.