Driver: San Francisco Shifts Out Of Holiday Window

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

In the recently released Ubisoft Q1 financial report (via Joystiq), Ubisoft has revealed that the latest Driver will see a delay. Once slated for fiscal Q3 (that magical pre-Christmas spot), the racing title will now be released at some point in Q4, which is also known as "that window that Mass Effect 2 and every other game was released in earlier this year."

The reason? It's not because of polish on the coma mechanic. Rather, it's because of the crowded "competitive market" around Christmas.

Driver: San Francisco was leaked a billion times over before its E3 2010 debut, where it was confirmed that Tanner will resume his career as "The Driver." The key takeaway from the presentation is that Tanner is in a coma (he doesn't know it!) and is now able to "shift" into vehicles via a coma-powered (and upgradeable) world map. Check it out:

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

In the recently released Ubisoft Q1 financial report (via Joystiq), Ubisoft has revealed that the latest Driver will see a delay. Once slated for fiscal Q3 (that magical pre-Christmas spot), the racing title will now be released at some point in Q4, which is also known as "that window that Mass Effect 2 and every other game was released in earlier this year."

The reason? It's not because of polish on the coma mechanic. Rather, it's because of the crowded "competitive market" around Christmas.

Driver: San Francisco was leaked a billion times over before its E3 2010 debut, where it was confirmed that Tanner will resume his career as "The Driver." The key takeaway from the presentation is that Tanner is in a coma (he doesn't know it!) and is now able to "shift" into vehicles via a coma-powered (and upgradeable) world map. Check it out:

#3 Edited by Castiel (2700 posts) -

Damn you  

Oh wait yay i guess, but I didn't get any pionts? 

Why? Why am I never going to get this stupid stupid quest!?! 

Giantbomb only made this quest to drive it's users insane!

#4 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -

lol coma driving

#5 Posted by Binman88 (3689 posts) -

If Tanner is in a coma, I assume that means the entire game is a dream? I'm confused.

#6 Posted by Blackout62 (1386 posts) -

You know just a thought but if you can switch to any car in the game and all you do is drive and chase where is the reward. Seems like this could get boring.

#7 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

Seems good for Ubisoft (I think they made, Driver, didn't they?), but not as good for me. I was looking forward to Driver. Looks like that's all I'm going to be doing for another while.

#8 Posted by chogi (555 posts) -

i lol'ed at the description. good job brad.

#9 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

This coma thing...

#10 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Added to my wishlist.  Those are some neat ideas. 

#11 Edited by RedHatDrew (336 posts) -
@Castiel:  Yes. Yes, they did. Only reason I got it was because I just kept mashing F5 while E3 started.

GDC's coming soon. Maybe that'll help?

EDIT: Wait, coma powers? Really? Interesting stuff, but.... really? Tanner becomes Professor fuckin' X?

...COMA POWERS!?...

Seriously?!?
#12 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

seems really cool. Hope i can online chases with 32 people.

#13 Posted by McDunkin (321 posts) -

Getting past all of the weird coma stuff this seems like a really neat open world driving game.

#14 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Man this game seems kinda stupid with the whole coma thing, but I'll wait and see.

#15 Posted by dsd21 (141 posts) -

Wow this shift thing actually looks like a lot of fun. At first I was very skeptical.

#16 Posted by DukesT3 (1941 posts) -

Thats... stupid. Oh well.

#17 Posted by ninja_lazorz (4 posts) -

yeah drop the coma thing , god..

#18 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

The handling looks fun.

#19 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

heh, such a dumb explanation. But the GAME  looks pretty good so I don't mind.

#20 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Reminds me of the last Midnight Club (also set it California), except uglier and less traffic/crowds.

#21 Posted by MajorToms (395 posts) -

looks like it could be really fast paced, even when you spin out of control. Shift seems like a cool addition to this old franchise, might make the franchise better for it.

#22 Posted by Nasar7 (2761 posts) -
@dsd21 said:
" Wow this shift thing actually looks like a lot of fun. At first I was very skeptical. "
Yeah but remember it will be limited in the final game so you can't just skip between cars endlessly like in this demo. Who knows how many times you can use it before it has to recharge.
#23 Posted by TadThuggish (909 posts) -

oh no
we will not be able to play driver: san francisco this holiday season
what a tragedy

#24 Posted by Jeffk38uk (719 posts) -

I imagine the devs facepalming themselves whenever they read an article on their new mode being called  "Coma Mode" or something similar.

#25 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

My failure senses are tingling.

#26 Posted by Vafthrutnir (120 posts) -

Still skeptical about it but then again my last Driver game was Driver 2, and I'm sure everybody whose played that knows how bugged it was.

#27 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

I would have liked, Driver speeds out of Holiday Window, but I can dig this too Brad. This needs to have Assassin's Creed style multiplayer where you can change cars on command while hunting other players.

#28 Posted by Phoenix87 (483 posts) -

It needs to shift out of development.

#29 Posted by mak_wikus (552 posts) -

Ubisoft needs the time to make this game super easy, super short, as bland as possible and make the credits sequence longer than the one that SC: Conviction had. Also, remove some content to sell it as DLC a week after the game's release. Oh, and it needs DRM too!

#30 Posted by Rotnac (809 posts) -

stupid...dont like the coma thing...sounds better on paper than anything else imo.

#31 Posted by s10129107 (1190 posts) -

What it said was "  Driver: San Francisco Shifts Out Of Holiday Window" 
what i read was "  Driver: San Francisco Shits Out Of Window" 
any questions?

#32 Posted by 1337W422102 (1018 posts) -

I really don't get the whole coma-shifting thing.  Is the entire game just something the dude imagines while in a coma, or something?  And geez, are there really that many DeLoreans on the streets of San Fran these days?  (Not that you can ever get enough DeLoreans, mind you.)

#33 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

No obviously the storyline will revolve around Tanner waking up, and having realisations of his position, and it will get even more messed up. SO dreaming driving and real life. And then he wont be able to distinguish between the two....

#34 Posted by RecSpec (3904 posts) -

I would just be happy if they released Driver (the first PS1 game) on the PS Store so I could play it on PSP.

I mean hell, Europe got it, yet I dont think we ever did.

#35 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3077 posts) -

That Bombcast episode was awesome. He's just doing all this crazy stuff 'cause he's in a coma. Like, he's driving upside down in a tunnel. Why? Because he's in a coma, that's why. 

Why doesn't Tanner need to reload anymore? Because he's in a coma, that's why. Do you need any other explanation?

No, you don't.

#36 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Damn this video's fucking loud.

#37 Posted by Osiris (531 posts) -
@s10129107:  
Hehe :)
#38 Posted by CompleteInanity (41 posts) -
@RedHatDrew said:
" ...COMA POWERS!?...  Seriously?!? "
This.
#39 Posted by MeatSim (10925 posts) -

I didn't know you got super powers when in a coma. Maybe they should make a game about a super hero team of coma victims.

#40 Posted by natetodamax (19216 posts) -

This just seems really dumb to me.

#41 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

What.... the.... fuck.... 

I like how nonchalantly the guy in the video mentions these coma powers, like it's the most normal thing in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.