European reviews are in: lookin' good!

#1 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Over the last couple of days reviews have started popping up around the net for D:SF. Most reviewers love the Shift mechanic, and praise the game's beautiful graphics and lively city atmosphere. Most negative points seem directed at the single-player campaign's cheesy story.

Here's a round-up, keep in mind these are for the PS3/360 version:  

Eurogamer: 8/10   

Edge: 8/10 

Official PlayStation Magazine UK: 8/10 

CVG: 8.5

M!Games (German mag): 8.5/10 

Spong.com: 93 %

IGN UK: 8.0 

Gamespot UK: 8.0 

IncGamers: 6/10 

I'm really surprised by all the eights, I had a feeling that reviewers were gonna slam it, but it seems the game offers a lot more than what was available in the demos. I'm glad it's getting decent reviews, and I'm sure it'll be a hit, in Europe at least. 

Now if only they get rid of their idiotic DRM on the PC version...

#2 Edited by Nasar7 (2680 posts) -

I played the demo for about 10 minutes. I thought it was pretty boring and the dialogue was extremely annoying.

Edit: I am very surprised by these scores.

#3 Posted by Harmonican (63 posts) -

I had lost all hopes for the the Driver series so this is positive news. I never say no to a good driving game.

#4 Edited by handlas (2682 posts) -

well IGN and Gamespot (US i guess) gave it an 8 as well. 

Videogamer.com gave it an 8. Nice video review of it kinda makes me want to play this game. I thought the demo was okay but I guess I went into the game expecting a more serious experience not realizing that its pretty much the opposite of that. I only ever played Driver 3 and don't remember anything about it.

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

huh, i'm surprised

#6 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Oh european video game journalism...

#7 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -
@Yanngc33: What's that supposed to mean? The game is out here earlier than in NA.

I am positively surprised about the reviews as well. The SP demo wasn't anything special. The MP demo was quite good and innovative actually.
#8 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -

I'm happy about this.  I've been looking forward to this with high hopes because I am a Driver fan.  Maybe not a HUGE one, considering after Driv3r I didn't touch parallel lines or that other one ('78 i think?).  But I will most likely be getting this now.  Still own my copies of Driver and Driver 2.  Glad I can add another good one to the collection!

#9 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Wow... weird. Expected around 6 or 6.5 for most of the scores. I liked the MP demo, but the SP demo wasn't too great.

#10 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -

An 8 from Edge is pretty damn impressive.

#11 Posted by TheHT (11270 posts) -

I'm glad another Driver game didn't come out and be a shit show. Looking forward to QL!

#12 Posted by HatKing (5952 posts) -

God, really?  What I played of it had me frustrated both with poorly implemented game mechanics and the hilariously awful story hooks they use to validate them.  To be honest though, the idea sounded solid for multiplayer; maybe that's where it's at?

#13 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

What the fuck?

Is there a demo out? I'm sure there's going to be a quick-look filled with "HEY I'm in San Francisco, remember this spot!!!"

#14 Edited by handlas (2682 posts) -
@HatKing said:

God, really?  What I played of it had me frustrated both with poorly implemented game mechanics and the hilariously awful story hooks they use to validate them.  To be honest though, the idea sounded solid for multiplayer; maybe that's where it's at?

well there is a singleplayer and a multiplayer demo....so you can try it all out! 

I played the MP one last night for the first time. Pretty fun. Very chaotic. Trailblazer was probably my favorite because that caused the most chaos when you have 5-6 guys all trying to follow behind the same car. Overall, seems like it would get old rather fast tho.
#15 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

it's fucking awesome

#16 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

Did anyone pick it up today upon release?  The demo was fun but I wasn't sure if that could carry over through an entire game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.