Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Driver: San Francisco

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

Tanner returns in this new Driver sequel. Set in San Francisco, the game actually takes place inside his coma stricken brain. This allows him to bend the rules of the road... and reality!

Mindjack with cars? no thanks

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

Mindjack with cars is what I got out of the demo and to that I say oh hell no.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

I couldn't even build up enough enthusiasm to download the demo. Is it really that bad? :P

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

Oh yeah they turned Tanner into a head case who can appearantly read minds and you litterally can jump into control of another car via a floating ball.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By MistaSparkle

They open the game up to a lot of interesting modes and mission types, but overall couldn't see myself paying full price for this.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

Driver was always one of those series' that as far as I could tell somehow gained a large following without the game itself having any redeeming qualities.

Personally. Of coooourse.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CptBedlam

@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:

Oh yeah they turned Tanner into a head case who can appearantly read minds and you litterally can jump into control of another car via a floating ball.

Actually, the backstory they have for this is pretty neat: Tanner is in a coma and everything just happens in his head or something like that.

But as cool as that sounds, I don't want to play a Driver game.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CaptainTightPants

The multiplayer mode that Jeff ( I think it was Jeff) was describing on a podcast sounded kind of fun. That is the only thing drawing my attention to the game at the moment.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By kalmis

That doesn't sound too tempting. But I still want to check this myself. Demo should be out today, in Europe.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By bacongames

Yeah but Mindjack was also a bad shooter. Is this a bad driving game? Or is it just because it has this mechanic? I don't know if I buy your argument otherwise.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:

Has that not been the biggest talked about feature for the new Driver? Is that you can jump from car to car without actually getting out of your car and breaking into another one?

I think it has. All the videos/interviews I've seen have had it included. Unless its broken or just plain sucks, I don't see your point.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#11  Edited By MightyDuck

The driving was a bit loose to a certain extent.  Definitely an interesting concept.  Worth downloading at least, in my opinion.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones

Compared to NFS and burnout, the driving is shit.  Sorry, it had to be said

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@SomeDeliCook said:

@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:

Has that not been the biggest talked about feature for the new Driver? Is that you can jump from car to car without actually getting out of your car and breaking into another one?

I think it has. All the videos/interviews I've seen have had it included. Unless its broken or just plain sucks, I don't see your point.

Maybe it has either way it feels out of place and just seems silly, but hey opinions differ if you like it then by all means give it a shot.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:

Maybe it has either way it feels out of place and just seems silly, but hey opinions differ if you like it then by all means give it a shot.

I think it can be a pretty cool feature if done right (and the game itself is fun, probably the main factor). However, I have almost zero interest in any driving games, so I more than likely won't even bother trying it.

The thought of quickly switching vehicles sounds a lot better to me than the realistic approach of getting out, walking/running over to other vehicle, pulling door open, getting in, then hitting gas. Then again there's also times I'd rather have the realistic feature too.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@Tuffgong said:

Yeah but Mindjack was also a bad shooter. Is this a bad driving game? Or is it just because it has this mechanic? I don't know if I buy your argument otherwise.

The driving is passableI I guess but don't expect alot, it rides a line somewhere in the huge middlepoint between say NFS/Burnout and Forza/GT, and feels dated to well around the time Driver 2 was out it just looks better.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By abdo

I also think likening it to Mindjack doesn't do D:SF justice, seeing as how that's a shooter and this is a driving game, and the only thing in common is the body/car-switching. The Shift feature as they call it is designed to make switching cars a lot faster, but also used in the story (Tanner's coma) so it's vital to the game.  

I can't speak for the driving as I haven't played the demo yet, but the Driver series always had its own handling style that might take some time to get used to for people who are new to the series. 

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jetsetwillie

Messiah did the 'mindjack' thing first.  

regardless the game is loads of fun and a nice twist on the driving genre.  

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @EuanDewar said:

Driver was always one of those series' that as far as I could tell somehow gained a large following without the game itself having any redeeming qualities.

Personally. Of coooourse.

If the first game was awesome but all others that followed were shit I guess that couldnt technically qualify as a "redeeming" quality so yeah, I'm with you. Dont know why they couldn't just put this game under a different IP's name tho, "Driver" has been tarnished enough.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By MildMolasses

@Sackmanjones said:

Compared to NFS and burnout, the driving is shit. Sorry, it had to be said

No need to apologise, it's true. I knew nothing of this Mindjack-esque gameplay before firing up the demo this morning, and the entire presentation of that game is weak. This was just a really bad mechanic on top of a bad driving game. The driving didn't even feel as good as the Wheelman

Avatar image for illegalizepelvicthrusts
    IllegalizePelvicThrusts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the demo, and this game seems odd.

The objective of one demo mission is to have two racers under your control finish first and second. There are a number of problems with this. You're often forced to race down the same section of the track twice. The track was not too interesting the first time. Sometimes, the racer that you are not controlling gets into a major collision when you're not looking. You can accidentally skip Talking Head Time (seriously, heads appear on the screen and talk) by switching characters. Switching back doesn't bring back the talking heads.

At least the shift/mindjack mechanic gives you ample plot reasons to engage in chases with cop cars in San Francisco.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Winger

I got really excited by the 80's feel of the game, then Tanner said he could posses people and I turned it off. Fuck.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By onarum

I think they are trying to do something different so it won't be labelled yet another poor man's GTA.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox

I think you mean BF2:MC with cars.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Sooperspy

I thought the demo was pretty fun. I'll try to get it from gamefly since the multiplayer sounds good.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn

Yeah really dude, Mindjack is in no way the first game to do this, nor is this even the first game with vehicles to do this (what's up, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat?). There's even a story justification for it. What's the problem?

That said, someone saying that the driving engine is worse than Wheelman is a bit disheartening...

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By emergency

@onarum said:

I think they are trying to do something different so it won't be labelled yet another poor man's GTA.

I know what you mean, but to even compare it to gta is retarded.

The best thing about this game is the first person car views and I think the driving felt okay.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By wwfundertaker

Thats a great description of the game.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By xMP44x
    @iAmJohn said:
    That said, someone saying that the driving engine is worse than Wheelman is a bit disheartening...
    I'll disagree with them. Personally I think the driving engine makes it really, really enjoyable. It's a weird feeling engine at the start which is why the first mission is an ideal introduction to the demo. I'm quite pleased with the driving actually. In the third and final demo mission it feels just perfect with the R8, because you can slide it through corners and generally re-enact a famous car chase in the ultimate car chase city.
    Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Eaxis

I'm looking forward to this game. The demo was alright, but I watched an interview with gameplay from the first hour of the game and it looks great. It was also developed to be a 60fps game which benefits the driving experience. It seems well polished and I think this game gets some undeserved hate.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheFreeMan

Weird demo. I just downloaded on a whim and the driving was annoying at first, but after the first mission I started to like it. The whole aesthetic of a really ridiculous and silly buddy cop movie was fun and the shift mechanic is kinda neat, and for some reason my enjoyment went up a lot once I went into first person view. It's worth a rent, I think.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jothel

Yep, didn't enjoy that demo at all

*edit* to elaborate, i really didn't like the feel of the driving, the cars are very heavy. the voice acting and writing is also pretty terrible

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShaneDev

I think it was alright. I thought the driving was good and it gets across a sense of speed pretty well. The story could be good or really bad, the way it was presented at first was funny and ridiculous but it really depends on how the rest of the game goes. The shift idea is quite fresh and fun for the most part, I am not really sure about the two car races though. It looks pretty good too. I might buy it depending on reviews but it certainly worth a download and its certainly not terrible.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Hizang

I played the demo today and its just...I mean I used to like the first and second Driver games on the PSone. I never touched the single player story modes in either of them, I just had fun playing free roam. But this whole thing about taking control of other peoples minds while driving is a neat idea, it's just this really is nothing like any other driver game. At this point Drivers to far gone in the past that adding the Driver name to this game only really makes matters worse. They should have just made this a new IP. To be fair though the driving control was ok but there are much better driving games than this.

Danishmaggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Danishmaggot

Tried the demo and it seems fun!

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By X19

They captured the feel of the driving that the first two games had which I'm pleased about as it plays like a driving movie. The 1st person view is brilliant because the hands react to whats going on. If you crash your hands fly of the wheel and when doing a handbrake turn you spin the wheel round and catch it. Would prefer the sound of the cars to be a bit more beefy but might just turn up the sub woofer for that. I was skeptical about shift but it works really well and they could do some really interesting missions with that idea. 

Most importantly it's fun to play and I have played the demo multiple times. The dialog between Tanner and Jones is light and funny in spots and brings back some nostalgia for the old games. Will probably pick it up around Christmas when it's a bit cheaper and go through the story mode over the holiday.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Zlimness

I'm sorry, but you cannot fully appreciate this game until you've tried to break up a street race with semis and tow-trucks using oncoming family SUVs and buses full of people on a freeway, all while 8 police cars are piling up from every direction. This game is bananas!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.