Drumset Recommendations

#1 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Hey guys, I'm looking to learn how to play the drums, and have decided to buy myself an electronic drumset. However, I know next  to nothing about the options out there, and could use some pointers on purchasing. 

My price range is around $300, but I could go for a little under or over. 

Thanks, 

#2 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

If you're just starting out then you don't need anything fancy. I'd say go to a couple pawn shops and see if you can find something used to learn on.

#3 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

What he said, just start with real drums before you jump in electronic drums. Buy a used one for cheaper, but if you want to go with a new one, go for it. Guitar Center is one, but I imagine there are more stores to rely on.

#4 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -
@Red: From what I've seen in the past, $300 isn't going to get you anything unless it's off craigs list or something. Maybe like $500 could get you a fairly reasonable starter kit. Stuffs expensive.
#5 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -
@asian_pride said:
"What he said, just start with real drums before you jump in electronic drums. Buy a used one for cheaper, but if you want to go with a new one, go for it. Guitar Center is one, but I imagine there are more stores to rely on."
Starter acoustic kits can be cheaper, but you do run the risk of somebody in your household trying so insert a drumstick into your head. Earphone sockets allow you to practice longer and whenever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.