This controller is *not* comfortable to use

#1 Posted by dudeglove (7841 posts) -

When first picking up the PS3's dualshock controller, I thought "Yay! It's just like the PS2's, only now I can play the console from the other side of the room without knocking the console over and waste about 300 dollars!" Well, I was right. What I wasn't expecting was the screwy shoulder buttons to become an issue.

For whatever reason, the PS2's controller had it just right. My hands moulded over all four of the L and R buttons neatly and I could push them without any strain. It was all so smooooooth.

But then along comes the Dualshock 3, and the previously humble L2 and R2 buttons suddenly become perverted into a pair of chunky buggers. And while it doesn't seem too different to its predecessor when actually looking at it, there's an itsy bitsy gap between L1 and L2/R1 and R2 that feels slightly wider than its original, which is amplified by the fact that the two enlarged shoulder buttons are, in fact, no longer buttons - they're a pair of goddamn triggers, meaning you have to have your middle fingers stretch even further to find any purchase on them. 

In other words, I no longer find it easy to actually 'connect' with L2 or R2, as it's never been completely clear if you need to push the trigger all the way in for some things, or just give it a slight tap for the game to register, which then throws up a dilemma - is the game's software at fault here for the threshold being inconsistent, or is it all in the DualShock 3's screwiness? How much do I need to push these obscenities to do a barrel roll (or whatever)?

As such, my girly hands can't cope having four fingers cover all the shoulder buttons, as it's like jamming a pencil between your fingers. Instead I mearly have my index finger sandwiched between the two on both sides, which for the most part works. But when it comes to action heavy games like Street Fighter or Bayonetta (no I don't want a fight stick, I'm not that into it), then you're up shit creek.

So, dear GBers, am I alone in my complaint with the PS3 dualshock controller?

#2 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

I kinda of know what you are getting at - i'd never held an xbox controller at all til i go a 360 last year, as such i had always used 'sony' hardware and was a little gutted when i got to the ps3 dualshock and realised the l2 +r2 buttons were kinda janked. 

What really helped me was picking up a pair of 'solid' trigger mounts for l2+r2, while buying more components is never a decent answer , these were really cheap and made those buttons much better for my preference anyway! I know many people who are perfectly fine with the default triggers, i'll throw a link down for the trigger mounts so give em a whirl if you think you really need to! 

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5675248/Gioteck-Real-Triggers-For-PS3/Product.html?_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:5675248|cat:Hardware  

They basically change it so that you dont need to push the buttons all the way 'in' to the controller 

#3 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

for the most part.... yes.   

Most of us don't have girl hands sorry bro.  

#4 Posted by Allprox (544 posts) -

Well, you get used to it. I'm assuming you just picked one up recently and are used to the ps2 being a bit more solid in terms of grip on the shoulders, but if you spend time using it you won't feel any difference at all between them after a while. I also think you're exaggerating your discomfort with them, the triggers are built in such a way as to recognise the pressure your putting on them and if your complaining about having to push it in all the way your just looking for things to shout about.

#5 Posted by agentboolen (1783 posts) -

I have never been able to have all four fingers covering all of the PS2's shoulder buttons!!!  I have usually just focused on the L2 & R2 buttons then just switch to the L1 & R1 buttons when I needed to.

#6 Posted by Kiemoe (1055 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
" I kinda of know what you are getting at - i'd never held an xbox controller at all til i go a 360 last year, as such i had always used 'sony' hardware and was a little gutted when i got to the ps3 dualshock and realised the l2 +r2 buttons were kinda janked. 

What really helped me was picking up a pair of 'solid' trigger mounts for l2+r2, while buying more components is never a decent answer , these were really cheap and made those buttons much better for my preference anyway! I know many people who are perfectly fine with the default triggers, i'll throw a link down for the trigger mounts so give em a whirl if you think you really need to! 

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5675248/Gioteck-Real-Triggers-For-PS3/Product.html?_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:5675248|cat:Hardware   They basically change it so that you dont need to push the buttons all the way 'in' to the controller  "
I bought these, too, and I would suggest them to anyone in your situation. They slightly changed the feel of the controller in the best way possible.
#7 Posted by Veektarius (4825 posts) -

It's not as good as the X-box controller, and the shoulder buttons are one of the problems, but the spacing of them never bothered me.

#8 Posted by Ghostiet (5270 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
"  And while it doesn't seem too different to its predecessor when actually looking at it, there's an itsy bitsy gap between L1 and L2/R1 and R2 that feels  slightly wider than its original, which is amplified by the fact that the two enlarged shoulder buttons are, in fact, no longer buttons - they're a pair of goddamn triggers, meaning you have to have your middle fingers stretch even further to find any purchase on them. "

Impossible, A TRIGGER ACTS LIKE A TRIGGER! Come on, now bitch how Triangle isn't Y!

Seriously, I understand that the Dual Shock 3 is barely usable for some people (I never had that problem myself), but some people sound like they have a problem with themselves, not the controller.
#9 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

He's right. The Dual Shock is not a very good controller in modern times.

The people who love it today are the ones that grew up using it. For anybody else though, it's a pain.
#10 Posted by Fallen189 (5006 posts) -

It trashes the xbox one. But it's still not mouse and keys so who cares.

#11 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I have pretty massive hands so neither controller is really a problem for me. Because my hands are so big though, I like the 360 controller more. The PS3 controller is a little too small and a little to light for me.  

Also, Dual Shocks R2 and L2 are designed to be more like the 360 controllers triggers instead of just buttons so thats why they are different.

#12 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I'm completely fine with the ds3. I've grown up playing on a ps1 and ps2 so i've grown into it. I really don't understand all the complaints.

#13 Posted by Pazy (2579 posts) -

I personally find the stick placement annoying (there are times when my thumbs touch each other which stops me moving and can get me killed) and the triggers very annoying to use compared ot the Xbox 360 pad. Personally I prefer the 360 pad over the PS3 controller, it simply feels better in my hands. Although when its a 2d game or a fighter I have to use the Ps3 D-pad over the 360 D-pad (or using the analog stick for 2d or fighters).

#14 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

I've got used to the DS3 in to the point where the PS2 controller feels really weird to use.

#15 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

I prefer the 360 Controller to the Dualshock layout, it's just more comfortable.

#16 Posted by Computerplayer1 (991 posts) -

The playstation controller has always been kind of terrible. I could never use it for anying but JRPGs because of the thumbsticks being in such an AWFUL location. If your thumbs can touch while using the thumbsticks at the same time, something is wrong.

I also have large hands which are definitely not suited for a PS3 controller or any of them that came before it.

I think the 360's controller is the best controller design ever lol.

#17 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I hate where the left analog stick is on the 360 controller

#18 Posted by Dom (436 posts) -

i got some trigger enhancers and they make L?R2 so much more comfortable 

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

It takes a LOT of getting used to, but after a couple years I'm starting to like it. When I tell people how to play it though, I always refer to Triangle as Y, X as A, Square as X and Circle as B hahaha. 

#20 Posted by dudeglove (7841 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:

Impossible, A TRIGGER ACTS LIKE A TRIGGER! Come on, now bitch how Triangle isn't Y!

Aha! Therein lies the problem - it looks like a trigger, but it doesn't have the same feel as the 360's, which really are... umm... trigger-ish. L2 and R2 on the ds3 aren't - they're stuck in some mechanical limbo between a regular button and a trigger with the ds3's patented sensitivity thing ballsing everything up in the process.

@OmegaPirate:  @Dom:   Those are pretty cool, thanks for the recommendation.
#21 Posted by chrissedoff (2097 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" It trashes the xbox one. But it's still not mouse and keys so who cares. "
^^^cool person (jk)
#22 Posted by Jazz (2269 posts) -

No. 

#23 Posted by LiquidPrince (15947 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" He's right. The Dual Shock is not a very good controller in modern times.

The people who love it today are the ones that grew up using it. For anybody else though, it's a pain. "
You can make anything seem believable with a terribly drawn, horridly disproportionate drawing...
#24 Posted by Jazz (2269 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Willy105 said:

The people who love it today are the ones that grew up using it. For anybody else though, it's a pain. "
You can make anything seem believable with a terribly drawn, horridly disproportionate drawing... "
That drawing is hilariously biased. 
Good job.
#25 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

i think it is the fact that the back of the L2 and R2 have no support so they feel too mushy.

#26 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
@Jazz said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @Willy105 said:

You can make anything seem believable with a terribly drawn, horridly disproportionate drawing... "
That drawing is hilariously biased. Good job. "

Of course it's biased. The Dual Shock is just a SNES controller with analog sticks added.

Nothing bad about it, but you can't say it's better than a modern controller.
#27 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

I don't like L2/R2 on the PS3, but I hate the bumpers on the 360.  If they could make a controller with L1/R1 and LT/RT it would be the King of All Controllers. 

The d-pad is a no-brainer.  The 360's dpad is scarcely functional.  I feel like I get more accuracy from the PS3 sticks.

Also, for action games I prefer the playstation buttons.  They're much more svelte and poundable.  The 360 buttons are big and spherical and hard to hit accidentally, which is good for menu-driven games.

In terms of pure aesthetics, the PS3 controller is just another area where the sleek and elegant Sony style beats gaudy green Xbox style.

#28 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

The PS controller is so much better than the 360's it's no contest.

#29 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Also that drawring is very funny, because I've never seen anyone use the left thumbstick on either controller at a ninety degree angle to the rest of their hand.  When I holding the 360 controller, my thumb is pointing north-northeast, aligning to the contour of the controller.  The pit of the controller rests in the bottom of my palm.  When I use the PS3 controller, I hold the pit of the controller at the top of my palm, and cradle it in my fingers.  You'd have to be an idiot to cradle it in your palms.  Then again, I do have piano fingers, so maybe I'm different.

Also, if having the thumbstick in the lower position is 'finger yoga', does that mean that both controllers have incorrectly placed right sticks?

#30 Posted by xyzygy (9988 posts) -

My main problems with it are the terrible triggers, the terrible sticks and the size of it. Other than that it's ok. But then again, those are pretty massive issues.

#31 Posted by Jazz (2269 posts) -
@Willy105:  
Better? Well thats subjective. 
So yeah, I can. 
I prefer it over the 360's controller. 
there you go.
#32 Edited by Andheez (583 posts) -

Well the PS3 Controller is just to small for my hands in general, but I use only 1 finger for the shoulder buttons anyway usually.

My biggest problem with the DS3, is that when you set the controller down, IT RESTS ON THE DAMN TRIGGERS.

WTF kinda design is that?

Can't count the number of times Ive been watching something on there, and set the controller down, only to have it start rewinding or fast forwarding.

Also I think the pink square and the light orange circle are too similar, they aren't distinctive enough when trying to do fast recognition.

ALSO the joysticks should be concave not convex.

#33 Posted by Spoonman671 (4635 posts) -

I don't understand why people complain about L2/R3.  I bought those real triggers that attach to them just to see what everybody was talking about, and they really don't make much of a difference.  I think the problem might be that the button is pretty big and some people press down on the bottom portion, and I just press down on the top portion that's closest to L1/R1.  i imagine this is why some people complain that their fingers slip off the edges of the buttons, which has NEVER happened to me.  Try loosening up your grip a bit too.

#34 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" @Jazz said:

Of course it's biased. The Dual Shock is just a SNES controller with analog sticks added.  Nothing bad about it, but you can't say it's better than a modern controller. "
Of course not. It is a modern controller. 

I prefer the 360 controller design as a whole. But I'm not a fan of 360's LB&RB. Them shits is tiny and I tend to rest my indexes on the triggers because of it. And the DS3 D-Pad is far superior to 360's for many things, such as playing video games.
#35 Posted by afrofools (1346 posts) -
@dudeglove: Dualshock 3 is definitely awkward. With the 360 controller I can't rest my fingers on the bumpers or triggers (L1 or L2).
#36 Posted by ProfessorEss (7368 posts) -

Tho I prefer the 360 controller (minus the d-pad of course, I assume this is just assumed) I have no problems or comfort issues with the DS3.

#37 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

I have big enough hands that neither are a problem. I even like the fact that my hands are symmetrical when playing an FPS. 

L2 and R2 really suck though but those "Real Triggers" are a must and they don't even cost that much.

#38 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

What do you guys feel is wrong with the 360 D-Pad? I always liked it better than the 4 separate buttons used for the Playstation controllers.

#39 Edited by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -
@Willy105 said:

" What do you guys feel is wrong with the 360 D-Pad? I always liked it better than the 4 separate buttons used for the Playstation controllers. "

The big plastic frame that it sits on can blur inputs into diagonals instead of cardinals pretty easily.  Add that it sits a little too above the controller's surface level and it feels like you're fighting it every time you need to use it.  The main problem is the frame.  It's the same problem I had with Mega Drive controllers.  The separated diamonds on the Playstation controllers eliminates input bleed.

Try accurately throwing a shoryuken with the 360 d-pad.  How many times does it turn into hadokens or low punches?
#40 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

I find most console controllers uncomfortable after a time simply because they're just hunks of plastic. I have a Logitech Rumblepad controller for my PC that has these strips along where your palms would be (have no clue what the material is) that make it INFINITELY more comfortable, even though it's not as good a controller as the 360 or Dualshock 3.

#41 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
" @Ghostiet said:

Aha! Therein lies the problem - it looks like a trigger, but it doesn't have the same feel as the 360's, which really are... umm... trigger-ish. L2 and R2 on the ds3 aren't - they're stuck in some mechanical limbo between a regular button and a trigger with the ds3's patented sensitivity thing ballsing everything up in the process."
Man, I hate that about the PS3 controller's triggers. They feel so... spongy. I don't get why they didn't just keep them the way they were on the PS2 controller. The PS2 triggers weren't quite as good as the 360 ones, but they were still a thousand times better than the shitty ones they've got now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.