Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DualShock 4

Accessory »

The fourth iteration of the DualShock controller for PlayStation 4. It includes a touch pad, light bar, and Share button.

What *Bonus* Feature Do You Like Best?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll What *Bonus* Feature Do You Like Best? (117 votes)

Lightbar 8%
    Touchpad 15%
    Internal Speaker 15%
    Headset/Headphone Jack 44%
    Improved Six Axis 6%
    Other 13%

Personally, the improved Six Axis stands out. It's what has proven to be the most beneficial to me in-game. Manual leaning in BF4 with is pretty dope, and wasn't possible on the past gen gamepads (or rather everybody forgot Six Axis even existed).

I also like that it adds control functionality to the gamepad without taking my thumbs off the analogsticks, which is ideal for Dualstick-style controls (which includes pretty much every modern genre with active camera controls).

Also - if you've not yet used the feature for typing yet, try it out (push R3 when the virtual keyboard is open). A revelation, and I could definitely see smart developers doing awesome UI things with it. Hopefully they are as aware of its awesome potential as I am.

• 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I hadn't bought kick-ass wireless headphones, I guess the headphone/headset jack would have been a strong contender too. The jury's still out on the touchpad. It is pretty nifty in Killzone Shadowfall, but not revelatory. The internal speaker is a waste of space (because I wear headphones). The lightbar... I like the blue light somehow, like Rambo - doesn't mean I get it though (outside of the camera tracking thing, which I didn't buy into).

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

If you didn't have so many posts on here I'd swear this was some guerrilla marketing thing.

Its a nice controller, I like the headphone jack and overall shape of the controller. The lightbar is annoying if you have a reflective TV screen and it also consumes battery power, ditto for the touchpad which is also in kind of a weird spot and will probably lead to some awful gimmick controls in some games.

Still the best controller available though.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seppli

@xeiphyer said:

If you didn't have so many posts on here I'd swear this was some guerrilla marketing thing.

Its a nice controller, I like the headphone jack and overall shape of the controller. The lightbar is annoying if you have a reflective TV screen and it also consumes battery power, ditto for the touchpad which is also in kind of a weird spot and will probably lead to some awful gimmick controls in some games.

Still the best controller available though.

Just want to get the word out about Six-Axis actually being awesome this time around. I don't want developers to forget about it. It has its uses, and they should be properly explored and added to the standard vocabulary for PS4 control schemes.

That's what's been on my mind, and prompted me to make this thread.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The ability to get game audio (and mic input) out of the controller using a standard off-the-shelf headset is outstanding. After how much of a hassle it used to be to set up game audio through headphones while still supporting in-game voice chat, I really hope that feature catches on.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By TheMasterDS

Kind of want to say none of that? I don't care about shiney lights, Six Axis is completely uninteresting to me, Touchpad doesn't seem especially responsive, I turned off my Wiimote's internal speaker years ago so that's not a plus in my books, and I'm not using the headphone jack.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I really like the headphone jack, but the battery life is just so abysmal.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Touchpad. Warframe uses it pretty well hot keying all of your powers to different directional swipes. Tomb Raider has some fun with it too allowing you to swipe up or down to light or extinguish your torch.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AMyggen

None, really. The controller is fantastic, but none if the bonus stuff you mentioned has really impressed me much.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it has to be the headphone jack on the controller. It sounds great, it's super-convenient, and it's the kind of thing I find myself amazed no one thought of before.

Typing with the tilt controls is pretty cool too, though-- it really helped when I was filling out all those Battlefield 4 crash reports.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really like the internal speaker. Having audio logs (Killzone) and radio chatter (Warframe & Resogun) come out of there instead of the TV is awesome because then it doesn't overlap with character dialogue.

Touchpad feels natural, like it's always been on PS consoles. Besides that, it's just used for the map in Warframe & Don't Starve so I'd like to see more use for it.

Headphone jack is a good idea but I only use it if I'm in a party chat, live streaming or in my new ritual every Saturday, using voice commands with it to start a game when I'm setting up my grapes and liquor because that's drunk nights for me. I can't wait for Sony to implement more voice commands, it'd be much faster to get around, even though it's already fast, I just like using it. I'm lazy.

Light bar is cool but ultimately useless. I never see it unless I want to see it, reason being is because it's on a downward slope. It doesn't reflect off my TV either so it doesn't bother me. It's just a waste of battery at this point. At least the colors are nice looking though.

Sixaxis is much more improved, it's crazy. I use it to send messages because it feels faster then typing with the D-pad. Haven't seen it used in games though, hope we get some implementation with it soon.

Overall, it's a fantastic controller. Triggers are great, buttons feel clicky, and the overall shape is nice. My only gripes are the battery and the Share & Options buttons are to skinny. Always bothers me when I press them.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That headphone Jack makes the Xbox One seem like a console from fifty years ago. I can't rationalise it in my mind but it's the way my heart feels.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being able to plug in any pair of regular ass headphones into the controller and get full audio is so unbelievably convenient and god dammit I can't understand why this isn't in the other consoles.

Also, I really really wish that the lightbar was an optional feature. I didn't buy the camera so that part of it's functionality is useless to me and it being on a downward slope means that I can't see it unless I'm deliberately looking at it, so anything a game would use it for would, again, be useless to me. As it stands it's just there to make the battery life hella short.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The swipe up to light your torch in Tomb Raider is pretty cool. Speeds up an action and makes contextual sense.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of those but I will say the overall ergonomics of the controller is what I really like the most.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I have always been a fan of the Dual Shock because I was used to it. I bough my first PS in 1996 and have not looked back. When I moved onto PS4 I found I liked the Dual Shock 4 but I as not really over-the-moon about it...it just felt very good.

But, just yesterday I had to turn my PS3 on again, first time in months, and JESUS that Dual Shock 3 is tiny. I was shocked at how tiny that old controller felt in my hands. I have average sized hands, but I can well imagine how people with big hands felt trying to play PS3. So, for me the SIZE is what matters most.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never used headphones when playing games until I bought a new monitor so I don't have to take the PS4 out to the lounge to play. Sure there was an audio jack behind the monitor but it was much more comfortable having my headphones plugged in to the controller.

JHebbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I use these controllers on my PC, the touchpad is by far the coolest feature to me, being able to control the mouse when in clunky interfaces is nice without having to pull out a 2nd device.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Six-axis. Mainly because it makes typing messages with a controller so much faster for me

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

The texture on the shoulder buttons, it feels so good.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i actually like the lightbar, it makes the controller look cool and it doesn't reflect off my tv or anything.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

The headphone jack is awesome. Love being able to play on the big TV and just have audio right into my ears so I don't bother my wife or wake up the kid. Best feature they added.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My favorite bonus feature would be official PC drivers.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The squeaky triggers

JHebbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukeweizer: It already works natively, "official" drivers are not needed like with XBox controllers that have no native support.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhebbel said:

@lukeweizer: It already works natively, "official" drivers are not needed like with XBox controllers that have no native support.

I'm confused. Then what are the unofficial drivers that don't work that great that I always hear about?

JHebbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukeweizer: You obviously havnt tried our version if you dont think they work well then (http://dsdcs.com/DS4Tool). But they are to emulate a 360 controller using a DS4 Controller, because some companies only release their games to be XInput compatible (Microsofts scheme) vs utilizing the Direct Input mapping which was the industry standard until MS had to stick their greedy mitts into it.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The headphone jack is the only feature that really stands out for me. The touchpad and sixaxis inputs are totally serviceable, but I haven't been overly impressed with how games have been using them so far.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhebbel said:

@lukeweizer: You obviously havnt tried our version if you dont think they work well then (http://dsdcs.com/DS4Tool). But they are to emulate a 360 controller using a DS4 Controller, because some companies only release their games to be XInput compatible (Microsofts scheme) vs utilizing the Direct Input mapping which was the industry standard until MS had to stick their greedy mitts into it.

Cool! I'll give it a try some time. Thanks!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love the touchpad when I'm using it on a PC, and the headphone jack is really nice to have, but overall the main reason I like is that they improved everything, the start and select buttons aren't mushy anymore, the buttons feel nicer, the sticks are more comfortable and the triggers are actually usable.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By Nodima

Definitely the headphone jack for me. I own some Klipsch Image x10s and it's a great gift to be able to just have that going wherever I am, whether it's the couch or the computer desk or a quick trip to the kitchen. On PS3 I had to plug the headphones into the speakers directly if I needed to be discreet which meant my only option was right in front of the TV. I've always been hugely skeptical of wireless audio for whatever reason, but the sound quality of that jack is great. I just wish there was a system level / easily accessible way to turn the volume up or down. Sometimes I could use it just a notch or two louder.

My second controller in 6 months has just started to show noticeable wear on both sticks, though. It took the one in the box just two or three days and this one a couple months, but so far I'd say the quality of the rubber on the sticks is my one big complaint. For how expensive these things are it's a shame they're also the first controllers I've ever experienced serious issues like this with (DualShock 3s would get irregular inputs on random games like NBA 2K13 and Skate 2 after a few years, but not every game, which was strange).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.