Proof gaming is not dead yet

#1 Posted by Wolfgame (575 posts) -

I never imagined as a sat back today watching quick looks and thinking about gaming that I would see some truly good news today. The first shock is that capcom is getting behind this, I thought capcom stopped listening to fans years ago, why else would RE dissolve to the putrid mess it is now. I don't often get "excited" about games, but I am seriously looking forward to this one. I have heavy nostalgia wrapped up in this title. The music alone is fantastic, I hope they have a truly awesome remix for the Moon stage, that song continues to kick ass to this day. I don't applaud capcom often after numerous instances of DLC drama and being in some cases dishonest with customers, but today they can take a break from the flames from me. I never saw this coming and I am thrilled.

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Devil's advocate: Remaking old games to cash in on nostalgia value instead of innovating seems like it could be taken as a sign of a dying industry.

#3 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

Well, if it makes you happy

#4 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

More devil's advocate: The character sprites look great but I think the backgrounds look kind of shitty.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

Who said it was?

#6 Edited by cloudnineboya (692 posts) -

when was it dead? did i miss this news.

#7 Posted by casper_ (882 posts) -

its a remake...

#8 Posted by ShaggE (5984 posts) -

when was it dead? did i miss this news.

The games industry dies approximately 365 times a year, according to the internet.

#9 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

Man, I'd like a remake of DuckTales: The Quest for Gold...

#10 Posted by AmatureIdiot (983 posts) -

A nostalgia play is literally the most cyncial thing that Capcom can do. I would much rather a straight port of the game and WayForward using the time to create a brand new game. But, as I am a hypocrite if this was Sonic 2 I would be as jazzed as you.

#11 Edited by alternate (2655 posts) -

So when it bombs will that be the death of gaming?

#12 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I have no idea what is says about the industry, but I can't wait to play it!

#13 Posted by RobertOrri (1088 posts) -

I have pretty fond memories of the show and I read a mountain's worth of the European comics when I was younger (I don't think American audiences understand just how deep that particular branch goes, no offense intended).

I'm not sure if people will enjoy this game's simplistic mechanics today - especially with those graphics, ick. I'd prefer the original 8-bit sprites. Overall, this screams "cheap cash-in".

#14 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2385 posts) -

I hope they include a challenge mode like they had in Bionic Commando: Re-armed.
Anyway, I'm with the others, the backgrounds look kind of blah.

#15 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

crazy people of the internet, I love you.

#16 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

These remakes usually never capture the feel that that the originals do and ever since that Turtles in Time remake I've been Super Cautious when it comes to remakes.

#17 Posted by darkvare (743 posts) -

i just wanna say tim schafer quote was the best in the trailer

#18 Edited by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

Gaming isn't dead because of a remake of a 25 year old game. Yeah, that makes sense.

#19 Edited by cornwalliz (214 posts) -

I cant wait for that moon level.

#20 Edited by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

These remakes usually never capture the feel that that the originals do and ever since that Turtles in Time remake I've been Super Cautious when it comes to remakes.

Holy fuck that Earthworm Jim remake was a giant letdown

#21 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1785 posts) -

@redbullet685 said:

Gaming isn't dead because of a remake of a 25 year old game. Yeah, that makes sense.

Yeah, basically. If anything, this and the constant flow of HD collections and upressed remakes shows that nobody has any new ideas and all we can do is hope to profit off of previous successes.

#22 Edited by Wolfgame (575 posts) -

I guess I would disagree with most people here, if you didn't grow up around the time of excellent capcom era platformers such as duck tales on the nes I can understand why this announcement may be confusing. I just find it perplexing that many of you are standing up to criticize capcom for a practice that nintendo proliferates every 6 months, with dated repetitive incarnations of "new" mario bros, broadly destroying good will with the older gamer crowd that enjoyed mario 3 and over saturating the market to the point of excess with todays current younger gamers. I think much of this is more or less capcom hatred being vented instead of actual insight into duck tales as a game itself. I think capcom deserves alot of heat for many things, but I am not going to jump on them for this when it's standard operating procedure at nintendo to flaunt reboots and remakes of platforming franchises while they get a free pass. It has to be one way or the other, otherwise we end up with the hypocrisy we are seeing now.

#23 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

Devil's advocate: Remaking old games to cash in on nostalgia value instead of innovating seems like it could be taken as a sign of a dying industry.

yeah. at first i was like sweet! but then i thought about it for a hot minute and was all, "wait. what?" remakes aren't exactly a sign of a vibrant and creative industry. i guess it's good for those who never got to experience it...but then again, what's the likelihood totally green kids will even be slightly interested in an 8-bit era platformer? if i get the urge to play that again, it'll be for the original article.

#24 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

Guys, seriously. This game is Bionic Commando: Rearmed if it was Ducktales instead. It's pretty great from what little was playable at PAX. It also looks fan-fucking-tastic in person.

#25 Posted by Nightriff (4347 posts) -

Isn't this actually proof that it is because there are no original ideas and have to rehash nostalgia to make money?

#26 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

No, it's proof that the industry is undead, as DuckTales comes shambling out of the grave.

#27 Edited by Joystick_Hero (23 posts) -

I don't think it's a sign of a dying industry. Unlike film remakes where the originals are on DVD or Netflix and easy to watch, video games can become completely unplayable with time. Hell, to play the original version of this game (legally), you need to have the original cart. A cart that was manufactured in 1989 and only works on very specific hardware.

#28 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Guys, seriously. This game is Bionic Commando: Rearmed if it was Ducktales instead. It's pretty great from what little was playable at PAX. It also looks fan-fucking-tastic in person.

Bionic Commando was a good game though.

#29 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

No, it's proof that the industry is undead, as DuckTales comes shambling out of the grave.

troof.

i mean, for me it's just impossible to get excited over what essentially amounts to capcom saying, "hey guys- remember this sweet old game? well we're putting it out- AGAIN! HOW AWESOME IS THAT?" that might be a sign of getting older and more cynical, but really now...

#30 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

Man the amount of hate people are showing for Ducktales of all things makes me think you guys hate fun.

Why do you have to hate fun? What did fun ever do to you?

#31 Edited by johncallahan (479 posts) -

@wolfgame: I did grow up around those times. I played Ducktales and loved Ducktales, still do. But remaking Ducktales is more symbolic of a lack of creativity in the industry than a resurgence from a death it hasn't experienced. I'm not condoning Capcom for doing it, just like I'm not condoning Nintendo for doing it with the Mario games, I just don't buy those. Remakes happen, but it's nothing to shout to the heavens about. That being said, it's Ducktales, near and dear to my heart, I'll play it, but I look to games like Bioshock: Infinite to see that the industry is healthy.

#32 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -

This game and rise of the triad better sell./

#33 Edited by punkxblaze (2878 posts) -

No one said it was. Well, no one sane and sound minded said it was.

#34 Edited by Wolfgame (575 posts) -

Hey everyone, figured I should make a quick post since I kinda charged into this game originally with very strong claims. I completed the game the day of release playing on medium difficulty and here is a mini-review of sorts

Controlling scrooge through environments is so accurate to a fault, by that I mean executing the pogo ability requires landing in such a way that you are certain to occupy the space of the cane itself. So if you are working your way off a ledge and planning to pogo on an enemy and your cane lands in an empty space you will still land standing due to scrooges hind leg finding space to stand on said ledge. This may seem minor but it certainly resulted in me inadvertently landing then walking into an enemy I intended to cane bounce only to take damage, because I did not accurately position the pogo bounce before going off a ledge. Often time their seems to be a delay getting scrooge to retrieve his cane, I frequently noticed instances where he would need to be comfortably into his jump in order to pull out his cane. I was playing on the PS3 version.

Honestly these aren't technically complaints. The game is functioning as intended, many games have stopped catering to these nuances and no longer require exercising this type of precision. I would certainly suggest playing the game on the medium difficulty setting. The easy mode provides way too much health. It's the kind of excessive advantage I remember game genies of the era offering. Most players shouldn't need that type of handicap to complete the game.

I went through the level list in order from top to bottom. The music tracks all stood out as excellent, particularly the Moon. I also recommend watching the credits all the way through as another version of the Moon is done on piano that was a pleasure to hear to bring closure to the whole experience.

I hit game overs most frequently on the final stage, it was a retro style repetition of learning patterns and negotiating my way through the level to ensure I had full hp and lives for the boss. Additional platforming challenges continue when the final boss is defeated so be ready to put everything you have learned to the test.

All in all the game is by no means as good as the hyperbole I originally used to describe it. It is a fantastic platformer that I highly recommend but depending on your nostalgia goggles and how heavily duck tales resonates with you will highly contribute to what this game means to you.

I will say that a number of reviews have expressed frustration over the cut scenes and exposition. IMO, if the Ducktales VA's want to get together and take a walk down memory lane doing some voice over for this title they certainly have the right too. For all of these intrepid reviewers who were unable or unwilling to operate the start button to skip said cut scenes I have no sympathy for them or their attempt to take significant points off the title for a gameplay feature that was easily in their control to change. These are NOT unskippable cutscenes as many reviewers may have led you to believe. You can play through the entire title without hearing any of the characters expound on some of the kooky lore driving the game forward.

If I were asked to give the game a score I would feel comfortable with a 4/5 . An excellent experience that gains additional mileage depending on the individual users fondness for the Ducktales series and characters.

#35 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

Joke is the game looks like garbage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.