My dad totally designed the box art for this game

• 59 results
#1 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -

The advertising agency he's a director in designed the box-art and advertising for Duke Nukem 3D, on the behalf on 3D Realms. Only thing was, his cover designs were eventually scrapped in favour of an in house design by 3D Realms' own art team. Oh well...

#2 Posted by VaultDweller13 (99 posts) -

That's a shame.  Do you have a copy of his originals?

#3 Posted by Nightkiller93 (174 posts) -

Yeah please show us it would be awesome.

#4 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -

Pics or it didn't happen

#5 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -

Pics or it didn't happen

#6 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -

Lord I expected that reaction. I'll get hold of them if I can. I don't know how easy that will be seeing as it was so long ago. I've been pushing him to find the originals recently because they'd obviously be worth quite a bit, with the coming nostalgia of a Duke Nukem sequel.

#7 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

That's pretty cool

#8 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -

I can also say Duke Nukem wasn't the only game he worked on. He designed covers for Jonah Lomu Rugby and Brian Lara Cricket  (both Codemasters games) on the original PlayStation and also helped develop the marketing plan for a PC management sim called Orion Burger that was never released.

#9 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2483 posts) -

Did you add a person page of your father?
If not, then get on it! he's an important video game artist that we need to credit!

#10 Posted by HTTenrai (241 posts) -

Hey, Vigorousjammer is right. This isn't necessarily Wikipedia, you know. ^_^ If you can find his artwork, make a page for him.

#11 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Nightkiller93 said:
"Yeah please show us it would be awesome.
"
Yeah, it would rock to see them.
#12 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Wow, that's pretty damn cool.

#13 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -
JosephBarron said:
"Lord I expected that reaction. I'll get hold of them if I can. I don't know how easy that will be seeing as it was so long ago. I've been pushing him to find the originals recently because they'd obviously be worth quite a bit, with the coming nostalgia of a Duke Nukem sequel.
"
When you get them, let us know!
#14 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Let me see! Let me see!

#15 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -

I've got hold of the artwork now. I've got one rejected design, a prototype box sleeve and a leaflet about the game that was sent to retailers and the press. I'll post photos soon.

#16 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

That's so awesome. Props to your dad.

#17 Posted by bizsumpark182 (361 posts) -

Why would they contract the design out and waste your dad's time if they were just going to use their own design. I hate it when people do things like that. Can't wait to see what you dad mocked up.

#18 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Pics or it didn't happen"
I absolutely HATE when people say this... -_-
#19 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing those photos.

#20 Posted by HazBazz (1901 posts) -
JosephBarron said:
"I've got hold of the artwork now. I've got one rejected design, a prototype box sleeve and a leaflet about the game that was sent to retailers and the press. I'll post photos soon."
chop chop then
#21 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -
bizsumpark182 said:
"Why would they contract the design out and waste your dad's time if they were just going to use their own design. I hate it when people do things like that. Can't wait to see what you dad mocked up."
The contract was for my dad's firm to develop the advertising campaign and industry specific marketing materials, like leaflets to be sent to retailers. 3D Realms asked them to look into the cover design as an extra, but then decided to use some of their own concept art from earlier in the game's development.
#22 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
TheJollyRajah said:
"AaronBelfast said:
I absolutely HATE when people say this... -_-"
Love you too :)
#23 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

Thats pretty sweet, if he ends up getting the idea to design box art for "Duke Nukem Forever" I suggest he put that on hold though, the world will be dead by the time that game comes out :P

#24 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
TheJollyRajah said:
"AaronBelfast said:
I absolutely HATE when people say this... -_-"

Thank you, I thought I was the only one. People seem to think that all the time, just because it is the internet does not mean everyone is a lying scum bag.

Simply because I decided not to keep pictures of my hot but bitch of an ex girlfriend does not mean that I didn't completely score. People need to grow up.
#25 Posted by HoNgKoNgPh0oEy (1481 posts) -

Cool I guess

#26 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -

I'm uploading the images now. Should have them posted in here soon.

#27 Edited by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -
#28 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Are we turning this into a my dad can beat up your dad thread? I sure hope not.

#29 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

Cool. Can't wait for the images.

#30 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
hazelnutman said:
"Screw that, I want to meet the dude with the dad who made that awesome Duke Nukem trilogy trailer shown at this year's E3!"

That sucked...

It's like the new McDonalds commercials where whoever designed it was some overly conservative 60 year old ass who is trying to act like what they think is "hip" this generation.

Not cool.
#31 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"hazelnutman said:
"Screw that, I want to meet the dude with the dad who made that awesome Duke Nukem trilogy trailer shown at this year's E3!"

That sucked...

It's like the new McDonalds commercials where whoever designed it was some overly conservative 60 year old ass who is trying to act like what they think is "hip" this generation.

Not cool."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
#32 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -
Rejected cover art
Rejected cover - business notes
Retailer leaflet (cover)
Retailer leaflet (inside)
Retailer leaflet (back)
Prototype cover (front)
Prototype cover (back)

#33 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -

For those interested, my dad's firm is no longer called "Montage Bridgewater Barron." They're now called Refinery Group and you can find them here.

#34 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
hazelnutman said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"hazelnutman said:

That sucked...

Not cool."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm"

I will take this from someone else's playbook but it applies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflection
#35 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

To Barron, that box art is amazing. It's a shame they didn't use it.

#36 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

good for him

#37 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"To Barron, that box art is amazing. It's a shame they didn't use it."
Haha I've passed that message on to my dad. He absolutely loved it!
#38 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

That box art is cool! They should have at least used it on the back of the leaflet, it would have been better then the one they have on there, in my opinion.

#39 Posted by JackiJinx (3089 posts) -

Your father is awesome.

#40 Posted by Quadrifoglio (816 posts) -

That is pretty damn awesome!

#41 Posted by GiantGUS (399 posts) -

Pretty nice

#42 Posted by Meleeboy0 (27 posts) -

That is so badass, Apogee made a huge mistake in not using it.

#43 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

"Now there's something you don't see everyday..."

Wow, some guy on the internet making a bold claim and then actually posting pictures to back it up. That I live to see that...! *tear*

(trivia quiz: which duke nukem game featured the above quote?)

#44 Posted by Oni (2095 posts) -

Pretty cool, but uhh I think that rejected Box art is pretty lame. Not nearly as good or iconic as the one they ended up using. Duke himself just needed to be on that cover properly. I mean, he's standing on a mountain of dead aliens, firing weapons. It encapsulates everything the game is about (minus naked ladies).

#45 Posted by Soap (3566 posts) -
Oni said:
"Pretty cool, but uhh I think that rejected Box art is pretty lame. Not nearly as good or iconic as the one they ended up using. Duke himself just needed to be on that cover properly. I mean, he's standing on a mountain of dead aliens, firing weapons. It encapsulates everything the game is about (minus naked ladies)."
exxxxxxxxxxxactly
#46 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

That is awesome! Tell your dad a guy on the web thought his box art kicked ass and chewed bubblegum...

#47 Posted by HTTenrai (241 posts) -

Had gaming not matured to what it had within the past 2-3 years, and had things retained the same sort of floppy-disk-feel-good shareware atmosphere that was so prevalent for the half-decade or so prior, that would have been really appropriate box art, but I don't think it holds up nearly as well as the final version we all know and love.

However, I think there are a lot of people who wish they could do even THAT with their art skills. All in all, though, having the opportunity is still really-effing-cool.

#48 Posted by JosephBarron (137 posts) -

Thanks for all the comments guys. My dad is absolutely loving this!

#49 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

This is the kind of absolutely out of nowhere CRAZY BUSINESS that makes the internet so great.
Your dad's box art should have at least made it out to print magazines as some kind of big advertisement page for DN3D. It's totally solid stuff!

#50 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

Pretty Cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.