$5 at Gamestop. is even that too much for this train wreck?

#1 Posted by JCrichton (55 posts) -

I was browsing the under $20 games on gamestops website and came across DNF. Is it worth it just to see how bad this is, or go for like condemned or go buy lunch somewhere?

#2 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

You could go buy lunch and stuff whatever food you get into your console and have a better gaming experience.

#3 Posted by JordanaRama (161 posts) -

I think $5 is worth the morbid curiosity. Yes, it's trash, but there's something to be said for finding out where 15 years of development went.

#4 Posted by Pink_o_mat (203 posts) -

Just to have the package and the disc. It's a conversation piece, but please don't play it!

#5 Posted by Illuminosopher (318 posts) -

Depends on how much your time is worth.

#6 Posted by yoshisaur (2639 posts) -

@JCrichton said:

I was browsing the under $20 games on gamestops website and came across DNF. Is it worth it just to see how bad this is, or go for like condemned or go buy lunch somewhere?

I think $5 will do it. It has it's moments, especially if you shell out a little more for the DLC.

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

This game is somthing  that everyone needs to play. Anything who played Duke nukem 3D needs closure *even if its bad closure* 

#8 Posted by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

I long ago came to the realization that any amount of money is too much for a game that isn't to your liking; even worse if it's a game that you should be actively discouraging to exist by giving it a thought.

#9 Edited by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

It's a bad game, but it's not unplayably awful. I had some fun with it, and I don't regret spending ten bucks on the game+DLC package on Steam. Besides, it's a piece of game history.

And as a fan of Duke 3D, the opening fanwank video is worth five bucks alone, never mind the quality of the game itself.

Edit: But fuck the multiplayer. It is truly terrible.

#10 Edited by Jeust (10473 posts) -

I've played the game on the PC and liked it. I don't think it's so bad as to be trashed everywhere. If you want something really horrible go play Big Rigs, Super Man 64 or Rogue Warrior.

#11 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

If you gave me $5 I might play that game, but I can't guarantee that I would finish it.

#12 Posted by triviaman09 (785 posts) -

At that price, I'd buy pretty much anything I had the slightest bit of interest or curiosity in.

#13 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

After playing some of it through gamefly & getting stuck at some point where I just decided the game wasn't interesting enough to make me want to continue, you could get the Darkness or a wide variety of other games for $5 & be much happier than getting DNF.

#14 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever still has pretty fun combat. It's lacking in a lot of things, but five dollars is definitely worth it.

#15 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

It's not so much the 5$ but the time playing that could be spent elsewhere.

#16 Posted by Grillbar (1796 posts) -

i can proudly say that i have completed the game, and i have played worse games then this, not many but some

#17 Posted by Scheds (463 posts) -

I rented this game out of morbid curiosity for more than $5 when it first came out. If you're interested in the game and want to give it a try or maybe analyze the many, many missteps of its design, I'd say go for it. But the real question is: will you display it next to all of your other (hopefully much better) games?

#18 Posted by jjnen (660 posts) -

I think everyone should own this train wreck.

#19 Posted by HiCZoK (238 posts) -

No matter what train wreck is that, it deserves to be played by older gamers. it is history

#20 Posted by Danteveli (1160 posts) -

Its also for 5$ one Greenmangamin so maybe this will be retail for it. Bought it for under that last Christmas and allowing you to rock 4 weapons makes the game better.

#21 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Illuminosopher said:

Depends on how much your time is worth.

Precisely. It isn't the five dollars, but rather the time you will be wasting that you should be worrying about.

#22 Posted by C0V3RT (1350 posts) -

It's fine at $5. It's easy to shit on the game, but if you go in with the appropriate level of expectation and an understanding of the games development history, it's tolerable and interesting to just observe the totally different directions this game clearly had gone over the years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.