Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

FOREVER.

Quansto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Quansto

I still don't believe that Gearbox is working on this, and I still don't believe that it's coming out. Everyone has jokes, everyone has cuts and digs. The truth is, I don't think people really give a shit anymore- I think its all morbid curiosity. But, according to Gameinformer, Randy Pitchford sez:

"...I cannot imagine any better video game news source team than Game Informer to reveal the moment of truth for the most inconceivable, incorrigible and inspiring turn around story in the history of the video game industry – the coming of Duke Nukem Forever on May 3, 2011."

May 3rd...?
     May 3rd...?

Honestly, I hope that its good, but realistically I don't think that Gearbox has any stake in it, if the game is bad. If Duke Nuke'em Forever fails, if its terrible (which, theres a high level of FAILURE already associated with the IP), then Gearbox still stays golden. At this point, I don't know if I'd care if the rest of the game we haven't seen yet is just filled in Laura Croft: Angel of Darkness levels...I hope we can just get passed it and on to better Duke Nuke'em games.

http://5footblog.blogspot.com/
    Quansto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Quansto

I still don't believe that Gearbox is working on this, and I still don't believe that it's coming out. Everyone has jokes, everyone has cuts and digs. The truth is, I don't think people really give a shit anymore- I think its all morbid curiosity. But, according to Gameinformer, Randy Pitchford sez:

"...I cannot imagine any better video game news source team than Game Informer to reveal the moment of truth for the most inconceivable, incorrigible and inspiring turn around story in the history of the video game industry – the coming of Duke Nukem Forever on May 3, 2011."

May 3rd...?
     May 3rd...?

Honestly, I hope that its good, but realistically I don't think that Gearbox has any stake in it, if the game is bad. If Duke Nuke'em Forever fails, if its terrible (which, theres a high level of FAILURE already associated with the IP), then Gearbox still stays golden. At this point, I don't know if I'd care if the rest of the game we haven't seen yet is just filled in Laura Croft: Angel of Darkness levels...I hope we can just get passed it and on to better Duke Nuke'em games.

Atta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Atta

i think that the insane time they took for this game and the fact that they are using the stupid jokes people associate with DNF to market this thing is already a sure sign that the game won't be stellar.  

also, the only place I get my gaming related news is GB, so I don't know anything about the game except for the stuff GB featured. specifically, i'm talking about the duke nukem TNT. what stuck with me from the whole thing is the voice-actor guy who couldn't stop saying how funny the game was. to me, if the dick jokes are the main thing you praise in your game in hopes of selling it, then good luck to you 

i sure hope it will be at least somewhat of a success, but honestly, i doubt it will be anything more than a random shooting game

Quansto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Quansto

Exactly. 

I know that Randy and the Gearbox gang took this on as a solid for the previous team: 

But in reality its a nice little bump for the guys, which they rightly deserve, in that they get to save one of gamings FPS icons....as well as attach themselves to the biggest debacle of gamings' Hall of Shame. The game won't really bring anything new to the table, per-se, but I know that actually playing it will be exciting. 

Which actually brings me to another point: Money. I'm wondering how well it will actually do; I'm wondering if people will continue to buy it in June or July...the strong chance that the game is going to be marginal will be negated by the name DUKE NUKEM, but will people really care after it actually comes out?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Yanngc33

I cant wait to see what crazy shit is in that game and i also want to get my hands on the concept art

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

it's called duke nukem forever because it is going to take forever for the game to come out.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PillClinton

watch, it's gonna come out and get 6 and 7 scored reviews.  some will cry, but i won't be surprised. 

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By falserelic

From the videos I've seen this game looks fun.I won't judge it until I actually play it. 

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Simplexity

It will come out and be alright, like 4 stars quality.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

The fact of the matter is that the game is going to be a kick-back to old FPS games.  It's not going to be cover-based third-person shooting or aim-down-sights Call of Duty shooting.  In essence, people will automatically say "this game is dated".  OF COURSE IT'S DATED!  At the same time, it's Duke Nukem.  It's not supposed to be ADS or cover-based and all this other shit.  It's supposed to have: 

• Dumb interactive elements like being able to draw a penis on a markerboard
    • One-liners that a 14-year-old would spout off and think sound cool
    • Cigar chomping
    • Naked bitches dancing on stripper poles
    • Dumbass aliens that get the shit kicked out of them
    • Fast controls and faster killing
    • Crazy set pieces
    • A story that makes no sense beyond "let's fuck some shit up"

This game is going to deliver all of that IN SPADES, GUARANTEED!!!  My only fear is that Bulletstorm is going to beat them to the punch with all of this, and then you'll have a bunch of dumbass kids saying "hey this shit ripped off Bulletstorm". 

Regardless, I'm buying the game.  I've been waiting for twelve years to play it, and I'll be in like day one to get it.  Why?  It's Duke fucking Nukem.
    Quansto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Quansto

While I do think that Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem share similarities, I think it's only in the area of being shooters- I don't really think they're going to share more than that...ofcourse, I couldn't possible know for sure because neither game is out in a capacity to be tested by the general public. DNF is definitely a throw-back because, well, it took forever to make and a lot of what made the core game what-it-is...started 13 years ago. Atleast I HOPE SO...just think if the game got completely rebooted several times and somewhere along the thing that made Duke the king, got lost. Boy...nurdrage would be pungent in the air and the fires could be seen for miles.

Thankfully, Gearbox swooped in. From the trailers, the Bombcast, and hearing Randy Pitchford everything *seems* ok, buuuuuut I think I'll reserve judgement until anyone is able to play more than minutes of the same area of the game in an observed situation. Again, if the game fails, I don't think this reflects badly on Gearbox- in any way.

I think Duke is going to be a lot of fun, I think a lot of people are going to buy it but I just don't think that its going to be sticking around in the market based completely on it being a "shooter"; its a Duke Nukem game, so you know the jokes will be around long after the game is. To that point, I give the game a month. To color the situation a little more:  

"Regardless, I'm buying the game.  I've been waiting for twelve years to play it, and I'll be in like day one to get it.  Why?  It's Duke fucking Nukem."

To borrow an intarwebz term: "^^ This" 

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with this statement, but in a lot of people will be buying the game based on this school of thought. I think they are going to be the ones who are arguing with people in month 2 or 3 about "how to appreciate the Duke Nukem". 

I'll probably pick up both, but I really like...and I'm going to kick myself for saying this...I really like the way that Epic handles the graphical-side of their games. Obviously the tactical elements of their games are ground breaking as well, I just know that a game like Bulletstorm is going to lend *something* to the genre. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm

I think 3D Realms was on their way to making a great game, but they just couldn't get it there. This is why it's in Gearbox's hands now. As long as the shooting feels right, the guns feel rightly powerful and the humor hits in all of the right places, then I think everything is going to be great. Duke Nukem is a great piece of B fiction. But, I have this weird feeling that it's going the Hollywood A-grade knockout.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By gamb1t

Old style boss battles i cant fucken wait@!@#!$

But in reality its gunna be dated in a way but with some interesting new ideas/concepts that never have been touched cause i mean come on were talken the creators of Duke Nukem 3D. People are just gunna hate cause this had a long hype just like everything does nowadays.

Quansto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quansto

What do you guys think would be the next step for the Duke Nukem franchise? Does Gearbox continue to hold onto the IP? How far do you think they'll take it?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @Atta said:
    " i think that the insane time they took for this game and the fact that they are using the stupid jokes people associate with DNF to market this thing is already a sure sign that the game won't be stellar."
    Are you kidding?  DNF had  become such a joke that to not acknowledge its reputation at all in its marketing at this point would be akin to the failure to acknowledge the rather huge elephant standing in the room with you.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Dingofighter
    @Quansto said:
    "   What do you guys think would be the next step for the Duke Nukem franchise? Does Gearbox continue to hold onto the IP? How far do you think they'll take it? "
    Duke Nukem Golf
    It's going to take place in a football stadium. 
    One-liners and naked ladies everywhere. 
    It's going to be awesome!
    LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By LackingSaint

Shut the fuck up, it's coming out and it'll be the best game ever made

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.